Stall/Make-up Stand

Hellion44

I was wondering how you register a stall at the convention. I was thinking about doing it now so that there would be a lot of time still to orgnaise it properly and whatever... that's if there's enough space for an extra stand!

I go to Stockport college and study media make-up which is basically special effects make-up and make-up for films and television. I'm only in the first year but already we've learned how to do lots of cool things. I have done many people's make-up for halloween and also done make-up for 2 pantomimes, one at college and one at the Lowry. A few months ago, my college attended the careers day at the G-Mex in Manchester and demonstrated all different kinds of make-up on eachother and then on the public who requested it. The stand was actually very busy. I thought it would be a good idea to enguire about setting up a stall at a convention, prefrebly Collectormania G-Mex because we all live fairly near and do sci-fi themed make-up for people. Does anyone think this idea would work? It would also go towards extra credit for the students!

Edited by Hellion44

Sounds a great idea and yeah, Aspen - would fit in well with a fan area.

Stuff like this make conventions more of an experience for visitors - to go along with the meeting guests and shopping. Wish you luck in getting this off the ground.

• 1 month later...

Hella hunny, I graduated 2 years ago and that sounds like real fun, gotta say from experience, that unfortunatlely you would have to make a small charge to customers, to enable you to restock your kit, pay other expenses and make a small profit, but it would be a major boost for your portfolios. If you want another artist to help you I'd be glad to do this (my portfolio needs new stuff too.) lol, I think there's some of my stuff on my myspace page, take a look, and see what you think, I'd be glad to help towards the cost of the stand as well.

gemma

www.myspace.com/elfzena is my page

Hella hunny, I graduated 2 years ago and that sounds like real fun, gotta say from experience, that unfortunatlely you would have to make a small charge to customers, to enable you to restock your kit, pay other expenses and make a small profit, but it would be a major boost for your portfolios. If you want another artist to help you I'd be glad to do this (my portfolio needs new stuff too.) lol, I think there's some of my stuff on my myspace page, take a look, and see what you think, I'd be glad to help towards the cost of the stand as well.

gemma

could you tell me which is the best rubber mask grease paint to use with a prosthetic, that i can buy easily in this country or on ebay uk?

i need know this soon

thanks

nigel

Edited by nlindenj

• 1 month later...

Sorry it's been so long for a reply, my net has been and still is down. flippin talktalk. the best i've seen so far is either mehron or kryolan, not cheap but they are good and last ages if you use them properly.

gemma

• 1 month later...

While its a good idea, you would need to have insurance for anything like that, public liability insurance, which enables you to do demos etc on the public, if you did it without, you would be leaving yourself and the venue liable for any damage caused, by allergic reaction etc.

Edited by monstermaker

I would love there to be a DISPLAY section of Movie Props, such as original costumes, etc.

I am a BIG HORROR FAN and would love see Original Freddy Glove, and the Jason and Michael Myers masks. Also things such as the TArdis, K9 for Dr Who fans, etc

I think you get the jist of what I mean....but it'd be good to see!

:D

• 4 weeks later...

gemma

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Sorry it's taken me so long to write back but that sounds really good. I'd be grateful of any help! I'm not too sure how to go about sorting this thing out but someone sent me a form to send off to showmasters via email.. just got to find it!!!

[[[To the person who said you have to have insurance to do public makeup demonstrations - I have done them at the G-Mex centre before and for young children at shows and this has never come up as an issue. I suppose if I was charging which I might have to do then a simple skin test with latex for instance before having their makeup done would be sufficient, as a lot of people are allergic to it. But to be honest, there's nothing that's highly dangerous to put on your face obviously, if soemone has bad skin or whatever then I'd advise them not to have anything done but there are things such as skin barrier creams which can be used on people who suffer form allergic reactions to cosmetic products.. I'm sure we'd find a simple way round that one]]]

• 2 weeks later...