ANSWERS to FAQs - Regularly updated with show info

Too Tall

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scottish currency is legal tender in england.

No it's not. In fact, Scottish currency isn't even legal tender in Scotland.

(see 3rd from last parag of http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/notes.htm or http://www.rbs.com/global_options.asp?id=G...IONS#heritage4).

It is, however, legal currency.

I would also refer you to the following from the Bank of England's website:

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?

In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.

The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

(http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm)

Also from http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/factnote.pdf

The concept of legal tender is often misunderstood. Contrary to popular opinion, legal tender is not a means of payment that must be accepted by the parties to a transaction, but rather a legally defined means of payment that should not be refused by a creditor in satisfaction of a debt. This makes legal tender a rather narrow legal concept that has little to do with the way in which most payments are made. In practice, people are often willing to accept payment by cheque, standing order, debit or credit card – in fact by any instrument that they are confident will deliver value.

And finally, (not that it relates to this query, but whilst we're on the subject of legal tender), coinage is only legal tender in certain amounts. See http://www.royalmint.com/RoyalMint/web/sit...rGuidelines.asp

(This means that for example if you are really hacked off with your council and want to pay your council tax in pennies, they only have to accept 20 pence-worth, so if you try to pay it all in pennies they can refuse to accept it and then prosecute you for non-payment.)

Have worked on a bar and dealt with money and the banks have never rejected it when paid in. Norther Irish money is different because different banks in different provinces produce their own notes.

Scottish and Northern Irish currency should be generally acceptable throughout the UK. The two reasons that it is often declined are (i) ignorance that it is legal currency; and (ii) a lack of familiarity with the stuff means that some merchants have a reasonable fear that they couldn't tell a forgery from a real one. This second reason is acceptable, in my opinion, the first is not.

I noticed it says that Northern Irish and Scottish currency aren't legal tender in England, but what about the Euro? I intend on changing my euro to sterling but if I somehow forgot, or didn't convert enough would the euro be accepted?

You may find some hotels will accept Euros, and probably a few places like Harrods. You might even find a dealer or two at the show who will accept Euros if you ask, but by and large I would not gamble on the Euro being accepted, any more than I could go to Paris and spend five pound notes with ease.

I might have been reading too fast and missed the answer that was already given, but can I pay for most things with a credit card or should I get cash out of the bank?

for merchandise, its up to each vendor. some will, some won't.

if its for autographs, this is quoted from the above FAQ:

What ways can I pay for an autograph?

Cash - You pay the crew member at the guests desk.

Cheque - You give a cheque to the crew member at the guests desk made payable to Showmasters Ltd. Cheques must be accompanied by a cheque guarantee card.

TBC - Credit Card - You can pay for autographs by credit card at the organisers booth. Please make sure you get all your Virtual Tickets before you join the credit card payment queue.

to be safe, i'd reccomend just getting from the bank, and as i understand, there's a few cash machines nearby.

What if you don't have the bank statement with the transaction of the entrance tickets anymore?

1. banks can re-print statements as far as i'm aware, so you should be able to get it again.

2. if you can't get your statement, you should still have the reciept emailed by SM. also, bring ID, to prove you're the person who placed the order - anyone can print an email, but ID is harder to fake.

3. if you've deleted your email from SM AND lost the correct statement... then hopefully it would still be possible with your ID and a previous bank statement with the account number, but i haven't a clue whether SM are intending to have the sales details with them in full. probably not, since its sensitive information - but they might, so long as its appropriately monitored.

What if you don't have the bank statement with the transaction of the entrance tickets anymore?

1. banks can re-print statements as far as i'm aware, so you should be able to get it again.

2. if you can't get your statement, you should still have the reciept emailed by SM. also, bring ID, to prove you're the person who placed the order - anyone can print an email, but ID is harder to fake.

3. if you've deleted your email from SM AND lost the correct statement... then hopefully it would still be possible with your ID and a previous bank statement with the account number, but i haven't a clue whether SM are intending to have the sales details with them in full. probably not, since its sensitive information - but they might, so long as its appropriately monitored.

1.Gonna try

2.I still have the email.....but it's only an order confirmation

I've also emailed SM; no reply.....

@Too Tall: any ideas/suggestions/solutions?

Edited by theThinWhiteDuke

• Showmasters Admin

@Too Tall: any ideas/suggestions/solutions?

Firstly hopefully you will get the tickets in the post.

Secondly if you don't get them, bring along the confirmation e-mail and you should be fine.

• Showmasters Admin

If the online store is closed, can the "such and such is on sale now!" threads be de-stickified? Because there's an awful lot of stuck threads at the moment!

The photo tickets are still on sale. It's only the entry tickets that have stopped being sold.

If the online store is closed, can the "such and such is on sale now!" threads be de-stickified? Because there's an awful lot of stuck threads at the moment!

The photo tickets are still on sale. It's only the entry tickets that have stopped being sold.

When did the sale of early birds stop?! :D

Managed to place my order this morning - so hope they come in time, if not will have to bring bank statements etc along... :P

the important things are usually in the FAQ's anyway :P:D

i know what you mean... but since most of the pinned threads are active, they're still gonna take up the same space :lol:

though, there's a search button up near the top of the screen if there's a specific thing you're lookin for icon1.gif

I know, I just feel like if the stuck section takes up the whole screen, there are too many stuck threads! :D

Even finding the FAQ takes longer than usual because of all the stuck threads... perhaps the guest announcements that are a week or so old, and the Nathan photoshoot announcement (since the Alan one has already been unstuck, it would seem) could be de-pinned? If they're still active threads, it will keep them from mixing with the truly important threads, but it's not like people will stop posting in them!

my way of getting round it is going into the 'my controls' section, then, on the left hand side, click board options.

one of the options is 'number of topics to show for each forum page'

i have this at the max (40) and i think forum default is 20. gets more things onto the one page, so while the pinned threads will still take up a fair amount, the other threads will also be visible further down :D

It's not so much that I want to see the non-stuck threads, it's more that I think there are too many threads in the stuck section itself. It takes up the whole of my screen (on a 1024x768 res laptop). Surely the whole point of a "stuck threads" section is so that you can see the really important threads quickly and easily. Some of the threads aren't as important now (the ones I mentioned before, for example) and the FAQ, Elijah photoshoot, guest talks and guest days threads don't stand out as easily as they should. (IMO)

*cough*

I'm going to stop now. Sorry. :D I get easily worked up and I've just woken up (night shift). It's not like it's even important!

Can I have photos with the guests at the talks?

No, no photography of any kind is allowed in the talks, this includes video cameras.

-----------------------------------------

Does this mean that you can't even take a couple of pictures of the guest whom is doing the talk without flashing???:dance: