Weapons Policy!

Combat Gerbil

There have been a couple of incidents at conventions in recent times regarding weapons. At the first LFACC I remember a number of Stargate SG-1 enthusiasts in costume having their replicas confiscated by security on the Sunday (I believe they were the security personnel for one of the guests who took offence).

At another event last year in Birmingham which I won't name, Eliza Dushku had a replica knife removed from an attendee because again she found them offensive, and had been threatened in the past by someone who wanted a blade signing.

My advice would be to leave the gun at home. Is it really an integral part of the costume? Unfortunately in today's world we seem to have lost the ability to tell reality from fantasy, and I for one would rather have C8 remembered for the quality of its guests rather than the possibility of an accident involving an attendee. As has been proved recently, the policy of shooting on sight doesn't take into account the fact that you may be attending an event where costumes are the norm.

Have fun and be safe.

Ps Great costume.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been an interesting discussion.

I regret that the discussion is necessary as we would all like to believe that no problems would be caused by people who are only dressing up for fun but I honestly think that problems would arise.

My main objections would be:

1. This is not a private convention. There will be no control over access to the shopping centre and anyone who was so inclined could take the opportunity to be armed with the potential for not being challenged.

2. There is free range access to the young and impressionable as well as the old and vulnerable. In a time when people are being told that vigilance and alertness are a prime requisite I think the potential for causing unnecessary distress and concern are elevated

3. There are a massive number of people who will not be going to the centre for Collectormania but just to shop. There are a huge number of people who will not even know that Collectormania is on. These people will not necessarily react in a way you can predict or understand.

4. Any incident would seriously jeopardise the future of MK's Collectormania.

*Even with* permission from Collectormania, The Centre, or even the police (none of which I believe would be forthcoming!), an armed response would be required to an emergency call reporting an armed person.

Please don't look upon me as a killjoy. Rather please consider the distress you could cause to individuals on the day or to the many who would suffer if problems were caused to the event as a whole - and all because of a mostly unnoticed finishing touch to a costume.

For this event in particular I do have weapons but they are simply just plastic ones. i.e. a plastic cavalier's sword and a plastic dagger.

I dont think I've ever done a costume where I have really needed a replica gun.

I do know that next year however this will be very different as I will be doing Milla Jovovich costumes from The 5th Element and Resident Evil Apocolypse

Very interesting discussion. :headscratch:

To be honest, I also think that maybe it is too much of risk, yes, maybe, police permission has been granted in the past - but that was before the bombings on 7th July. People are paranoid and fear for their safety, so I think, not only for your safety - but for others wellbeing, perhaps the gun ought to be left at home.

I know, it's a shame, your costume looked great at LFACC3, but I think for the sake of everyone it's not an especially good idea to bring it to a shopping centre. :P

Living in Bedford I know a few of the guys in the armed response unit.

In light of recent events i.e. 7/7, they are aleady on a high alert level.

With MK being a shopping Centre where large crowds congregate it is a potential area of threat. Therefore, the hint of a firearm (Replica or not) could cause mayhem. If there is a report of a firearm in the shopping centre the armed response unit would be called and whatever the outcome may result in the tightening of rules for other collectormania events in the future.

If it were me, I'd leave the shooter at home and swap it for a bright red water pistol. (Something that is less likely to cause you and everyone else problems.)

Please read this and have a long think.

Well...just got off the phone with the MK police..and they are ok with plastic replica firearms being used as part of a costume within the convention, and are aware of the times and dates of the event.

So I shall now leave it up to individual discretion.

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

Agent Smith......(Uplugged)..

I appreciate that the police are aware of the location of C8 but it has to be said that this should not detract from the fact that should a Report be made of a Weapon in a public place be made........the police have to treat and respond to a potential threat even if it is innocent.

So be prepared for the potential consequence.

other then that have fun and enjoy.

:unsure:

I appreciate that the police are aware of the location of C8 but it has to be said that this should not detract from the fact that should a Report be made of a Weapon in a public place be made........the police have to treat and respond to a potential threat even if it is innocent.

;)

872928[/snapback]

It seems that I need to make things a litle clearer for some peeps..

That is the whole point of clearing it with the police ...so that if a report is made of "firearms being waved around in public" within the general area of the convention, it will be red flaged as such and will NOT result in the Armed Response Unit being sent in but the report will be investigated in a more "low key" manner.

You must remember that other people may well attend this event that do not frequent these forums and may themselves be in costume that may utilise replica firearms.

The Call to the police to recieve guidance from them was a safeguard. Officers in the area will be made aware of the event and the possible presence of immitation firearms and will act accordinly to any reports of such.

A recent event elsewhere also had a large number of replica firearms present. Again the police were made aware beforehand and the costumers were allowed to carry replica P90's, Bertta's and Dresert Eagles in the public concourse as well as within the Event building. There was a large police and security presence due to the recent incidents of which people speak, and no untoward happennings occured.

Anyhoo...as I said...I leave it to the individual to now decide. I have done my best to enligten people and to make some sort of safeguard by getting police clearance.

So ..everyone enjoy yourselves...and see y'all there..

;)

872928[/snapback]

It seems that I need to make things a litle clearer for some peeps..

That is the whole point of clearing it with the police ...so that if a report is made of "firearms being waved around in public" within the general area of the convention, it will be red flaged as such and will NOT result in the Armed Response Unit being sent in but the report will be investigated in a more "low key" manner.

You must remember that other people may well attend this event that do not frequent these forums and may themselves be in costume that may utilise replica firearms.

The Call to the police to recieve guidance from them was a safeguard. Officers in the area will be made aware of the event and the possible presence of immitation firearms and will act accordinly to any reports of such.

A recent event elsewhere also had a large number of replica firearms present. Again the police were made aware beforehand and the costumers were allowed to carry replica P90's, Bertta's and Dresert Eagles in the public concourse as well as within the Event building. There was a large police and security presence due to the recent incidents of which people speak, and no untoward happennings occured.

Anyhoo...as I said...I leave it to the individual to now decide. I have done my best to enligten people and to make some sort of safeguard by getting police clearance.

So ..everyone enjoy yourselves...and see y'all there..

873009[/snapback]

Did you attend the LF&CC this year as on the image cd provided to gold tickets there a picture of you I think its you anyway

That is the whole point of clearing it with the police ...so that if a report is made of "firearms being waved around in public" within the general area of the convention, it will be red flaged as such and will NOT result in the Armed Response Unit being sent in

I know you are trying to reassure us but that last statement had the opposite effect. It doesn't exactly make me feel very safe to know that an armed response unit WONT be sent if someone starts waving a gun about. ;)

That is the whole point of clearing it with the police ...so that if a report is made of "firearms being waved around in public" within the general area of the convention, it will be red flaged as such and will NOT result in the Armed Response Unit being sent in

I know you are trying to reassure us but that last statement had the opposite effect. It doesn't exactly make me feel very safe to know that an armed response unit WONT be sent if someone starts waving a gun about. ;)

873017[/snapback]

*Sigh*........How can I put it simpler...the ARU will not be sent in, unless it is proven to be required.....The police will investigate in a low key manner ...If the ARU is required then of course it will be sent in...but only if deemed necessary...Is that clear enough

If I had NOT made the call ...the ARU would have been sent in automatically if a report was made....now....which would you prefer.????

Edited by Combat Gerbil

In all seriousness, can i ask a question?

Why do you WANT to carry a replica gun around?

I would love to hear what Freud would say...something about spam inadequacies and loving your mother perhaps...

You dont drive a porche by any chance, do you?

873090[/snapback]

You obviousely missed the point...Costume...character...Agent From Matrix...Uses Big Desert Eagle........

Other Characters..from Other movies Games etc..Ie: Lara croft, Stargate, Punisher..Uses Pistols etc...

It's part of the Character......

And...spam inadequacies?...Lol....Just ask around...Mine works fine.. :firedevil:

If the ARU is required then of course it will be sent in...but only if deemed necessary...Is that clear enough

If I had NOT made the call ...the ARU would have been sent in automatically if a report was made....now....which would you prefer.????

Well, as I'm not going to be carrying real or replica weapons I'd rather they be sent out immidiately (if a situation were to arise) to be perfectly honest with you. Why should other people's safety be potentially compromised because you want to carry plastic guns?

An article I just found on BBC news online

Teenage girl fires gun in school

A teaching assistant was threatened with an imitation gun by a gang of schoolgirls in Liverpool after telling them off, police have said.

The woman was left traumatised after one of three girls, all aged 14, pulled a BB gun, which fires plastic pellets.

When she asked them to leave the premises of St Ambrose Barlow High School in Netherton, a girl produced the gun and fired it in the air.

The girls were arrested shortly after the incident on Monday afternoon.

'Tragic consequences'

They were questioned on suspicion of possessing an imitation firearm and bailed pending further enquiries.

Insp Dave Formby, of Merseyside Police, said: "It is worrying that children have access to BB guns like this.

"It is very hard to tell the difference between BB guns and general guns, and therefore there could be tragic consequences."

Merseyside Police are also investigating an incident in which a 10-year-old boy was shot in the buttock with an airgun in Speke.

A police spokeswoman said a 35-year-old local man was arrested on suspicion of wounding and bailed until December.

Not directly related to the topic.

An article I just found on BBC news online

Teenage girl fires gun in school 

A teaching assistant was threatened with an imitation gun by a gang of schoolgirls in Liverpool after telling them off, police have said.

The woman was left traumatised after one of three girls, all aged 14, pulled a BB gun, which fires plastic pellets.

When she asked them to leave the premises of St Ambrose Barlow High School in Netherton, a girl produced the gun and fired it in the air.

The girls were arrested shortly after the incident on Monday afternoon.

'Tragic consequences'

They were questioned on suspicion of possessing an imitation firearm and bailed pending further enquiries.

Insp Dave Formby, of Merseyside Police, said: "It is worrying that children have access to BB guns like this.

"It is very hard to tell the difference between BB guns and general guns, and therefore there could be tragic consequences."

Merseyside Police are also investigating an incident in which a 10-year-old boy was shot in the buttock with an airgun in Speke.

A police spokeswoman said a 35-year-old local man was arrested on suspicion of wounding and bailed until December.

Not directly related to the topic.

873132[/snapback]

Too right its not directly related to the topic...

You miss the point yet again...

This is not a school...the Police have given consent.. we as costumers don't go around threatening people..

I really think you are now just arguing for arguments sake..

The bottom line is this.

The police have given consent.

Reports of firearms incidents if any will be dealt with in an appropriate manner. Ie: assesed for real threat.

The decision to carry costume related weapons is therefore now down to the individual.

If the ARU is required then of course it will be sent in...but only if deemed necessary...Is that clear enough

Well, as I'm not going to be carrying real or replica weapons I'd rather they be sent out immidiately (if a situation were to arise) to be perfectly honest with you. Why should other people's safety be potentially compromised because you want to carry plastic guns?

873099[/snapback]

you also seem to missunderstand completely...far from compromising safety...this course of action is to ensure safety...

I do not want to start an argument here. The origional purpose of this thread was to ask if there was a policy in place...seeing as there was not I have taken it upon myself to ensure safeguards for ALL the costumers by contacting the police first.

Please re-read the the thread if you are still not aware of what has transpired.

If u want to carry a replica firearm for the sake of dressing in costume then go ahead. On your head be it.

You seem to forget that someone COULD be carrying a real firearm in that centre and the ARU wouldnt be sent immediately because they think it would be you?, just cos you prior warned them...OH PLEASE !!.

Yes u have made very clear and positive points but it doesnt re-assure the rest of us..you then go on the critise other people views of it..and basically tell them they not paying attention to what u said in the first place !!

Edited by DisneyDude78