Lord of the Rings

Davey

Has Lord of the Rings had its day?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Has Lord of the Rings had its day?

• Yes
    • No

I voted NO

Anywhere, anytime anyone wants to show the trilogy on an all nighter or an all day showing, (well, anywhere in the SE region) I will be happy to attend and I've just finished reading the books again. Although I have the DVDs, the films are so great on the big screen - TV (well, a 14" one) doesn't do them justice. Every time I watch the films, is like for the first time. Even though all the characters are like friends and you get a warm buzz from having met the actors and feel like you know them, it just enhances the whole effect of being in another world. Pure escapism and for me, it will never diminish.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lord of the Rings will never die...let's face it, it's first and foremost a book (and it's been around for YEARS)

The films will never die either...just as other classic films will never die. The lack of people posting here just means that people don't want to talk about it day in, day out anymore...well, with the exception of the hardcore fans! :P

HOWEVER, the question is not asking whether it will die out. Voting 'yes' does not mean you think the whole franchise will fade away into oblivion. It simply means (correct me if I'm wrong Davey) that the 'Lord of the Rings' has hit its peak of popularity and fandom and it is now declining...

So, I voted yes! It rightfully had it's day (and it was bloody amazing) but now that day is over (or less vocal anyway) :P

• Moderators

It has had it's best days, culminating in the Oscars for ROTK. That was a finish to the LOTR boom period. It's what it deserved and it was a happy ending!

Of course the movies made LOTR way more popular than it had ever been before, and managed to get so many new fans! Just like Spider-Man being made into a movie, or Batman re-launching ... just like Chronicles Of Narnia: TLW&TW will do the same thing! Some people don't grow up on the books, or the comics, or the television shows, and so movies often reach out to a whole new audience.

But like people have said, the strength of the source material has never been in doubt, and it IS timeless. Kids will continue to read the books, either through school or through their parents recommending it etc. Or they'll watch the movies and want to read the books! From one generation, to the next, and the one after that ... LOTR will be there.

I guess we'll see what happens in regard to a Hobbit movie, that no doubt would re-ignite the interest just like the new Dr Who or the Star Wars prequels! They are proof of the cycles that genres go through.

I did vote yes, for the reasons I've stated above. The best is behind us, but it will still exist in the future!

It has had it's best days, culminating in the Oscars for ROTK. That was a finish to the LOTR boom period. It's what it deserved and it was a happy ending!

Of course the movies made LOTR way more popular than it had ever been before, and managed to get so many new fans! Just like Spider-Man being made into a movie, or Batman re-launching ... just like Chronicles Of Narnia: TLW&TW will do the same thing! Some people don't grow up on the books, or the comics, or the television shows, and so movies often reach out to a whole new audience.

But like people have said, the strength of the source material has never been in doubt, and it IS timeless. Kids will continue to read the books, either through school or through their parents recommending it etc. Or they'll watch the movies and want to read the books! From one generation, to the next, and the one after that ... LOTR will be there.

I guess we'll see what happens in regard to a Hobbit movie, that no doubt would re-ignite the interest just like the new Dr Who or the Star Wars prequels! They are proof of the cycles that genres go through.

I did vote yes, for the reasons I've stated above. The best is behind us, but it will still exist in the future!

851479[/snapback]

Glad we're in agreement!! *nods head* :lol:

HOWEVER, the question is not asking whether it will die out. Voting 'yes' does not mean you think the whole franchise will fade away into oblivion. It simply means (correct me if I'm wrong Davey) that the 'Lord of the Rings' has hit its peak of popularity and fandom and it is now declining...

So, I voted yes! It rightfully had it's day (and it was bloody amazing) but now that day is over (or less vocal anyway) :D

851272[/snapback]

That is what my poll is all about :D

I said No - but after reading all your comments, I can kinda see what everyone is saying. David had a very good point!

So now I dunno what to think.........I guess its bound to become less popular. I still love LOTR but I strongly follow anything else the main members do.....especially Elijah!

All confused now about what I was gonna put in the first place!^_^

I voted no, it hasn't had it's day. I know I dont come on here any more, but like pretty much everyone else has said that doesnt mean I enjoy LOTR any less than I did before.

I remember the crazy times that used to go on in this forum and yeah it was a laugh and I met some fantastic people, but things change, sometimes it's just hard to keep up with everything :unsure:

Edited by **Little Miss Brandybuck**

I voted no, it hasn't had it's day.  I know I dont come on here any more, but like pretty much everyone else has said that doesnt mean I enjoy LOTR any less than I did before.

I remember the crazy times that used to go on in this forum and yeah it was a laugh and I met some fantastic people, but things change, sometimes it's just hard to keep up with everything  :P

860320[/snapback]

i agree with that, i remember the various tasks set like getting the 'i wood do elijah' thing on radio 1 last yr when he was on. It use to be really busy around here, i never got to meet a lot of ppl from here but a lot helped with my dissertation about the fans of lord of the rings and from the research i did, i think that lotr's will never die, it's fans will always support the trilogy.

Hell No! :D  Well the big fuss has definitely died down a lot, but LOTR will always have a solid fan base (like the older Star Wars films still do... controversial!)

862199[/snapback]

Yeah but Star Wars has had its day! :lol: