Lord of the Rings

Davey

Has Lord of the Rings had its day?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Has Lord of the Rings had its day?

• Yes
    • No

Ok simple question!

This place used to be the busiest section of this forum, it is now one of the least busiest. You now talk more about other films/TV shows with actors from LOTR in.

So with the decline in sales of LOTR Mem, and DVD's has LOTR now died and withered away? I don't want people to take this the wrong way, im just interested in peoples opinions.

So if you could explain your vote that would be excellent!

Thanks

Davey :unsure:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you bad boy! *slaps* lol

I don't think it has withered away! we all knew that the interest would die down at some point but there is still a huge fan base and we all follow the cast's careers. just because this forum is quiet doesn't mean the people who used to post here don't love it anymore, the whole board is quieter than it used to be. peoples lives have changed, they've gone to uni etc

nothing lasts forever, it will be the same with Harry Potter and CSI and everything else, it will be popular and then it will be less popular!

I don't think LOTR will ever die, it is too great a film (x3!) to be forgotten! its just the time we all new would come is now apon us...

:wub:

Edited by Nell

I never voted btw lol!

But sales in DVD's LOTR has gone down alot and it is hard to shift the stuff. I don't think it will ever die, but it certainly isnt popular anymore!

insert the word AS inbetween isnt and popular! its still popular! just not as much as initially! i think we were always guna feel it more cuz it was sooo hugely popular when it came out, so now its not got as much buzz about it, it stings lol

I never voted btw lol!

But sales in DVD's LOTR has gone down alot and it is hard to shift the stuff. I don't think it will ever die, but it certainly isnt popular anymore!

insert the word AS inbetween isnt and popular! its still popular! just not as much as initially! i think we were always guna feel it more cuz it was sooo hugely popular when it came out, so now its not got as much buzz about it, it stings lol

Im sure I will come to the conclusion I expected from this thread once a few more people have posted :unsure:

I never voted btw lol!

Im sure I will come to the conclusion I expected from this thread once a few more people have posted :unsure:

which is....?

I never voted btw lol!

Im sure I will come to the conclusion I expected from this thread once a few more people have posted :firedevil:

which is....?

I possibly couldnt say :D

I said no because I don't want it to - I'm desperately hanging on to it!

But....yes....in the sense that the movies are sort of over now....because, without the movies, this area wouldn't have been what it is. I think that soon they'll open the books again and make something out of it, like they did with these movies (THE HOBBIT PLEASE!!! lol), which will bring it all back up again.

I never voted btw lol!

Im sure I will come to the conclusion I expected from this thread once a few more people have posted :P

which is....?

I possibly couldnt say :P

u want it to come to the conclusion of yes.

I voted no. I have loved the films since the moment I started watching fellowship (seeing as Id never read the books) and I still love the whole lotr thing as much if not more now than back then. I love watching the films, with and without the commentary "sometimes he looks like a dog sometimes he looks like a monkey...sometimes he looks like a bus..." its so enjoyable no matter how many times you've seen them.

Just today Ive been to buy material for my eowyn dress for C8 which im looking forward to making and wearing a costume for the first time ever. there is still alot of interest out there and ok so the films have been out but we still want the guests to come over...otherwise we may be forced to go in search elsewhere.

The main reason I think the forum is so quite btw is that there are a number of users who know each other really well and have done for some time and personally I have felt a bit discluded on a number of occasions and so I just ended up not posting anymore.

Ive met some nice people in here but its far too quiet

I never voted btw lol!

That's cos most people bought it when it first came out!!!!

I ent voted, I don't pay much attention to...well...anything really so, i'd probably say yes, but in the sense that there's nothing more to come out so all discussions on it and new stuff have run out, if the Hobbit starts gettin made or they bring out some new LOTR ultimate versions or behind the scenes stuff whatever then it'll be more errrrrrmmmmmmm dunno what the word is but you catch my drift.

Course it aint gonna be the busiest topic when theres other new films n tv stuff comin out all the time blah blah blahhh but you get my point n if you don't - it wasn't very important anyway so don't worry

When shows and movies have been finished for a while - its a given that the buzz surrounding them will calm down!

But if you compare the hits that this thread has compared to any of the others on the forum - it just shows how popular LOTR still is and will remain for years Im sure....

Once the hype is gone - your left with the true fans, and lets face it (there are millions of them).

LOTR is a classic, both book and films - nothing can touch that!

and I agree with TishTosh - as soon as something new comes out, the hype will return!

Some people are just fickle I guess!

I voted No.

Several reasons, good weather, people on holiday, trouble gaining access to internet :angry: , perhaps the biggest reason is we have run out of things to say at the moment, however with LOST being shown on C4 now it may pick up again.

I for one am glad that I can still come here, its like a second home lol.

I voted no.

Reason being, I have been a fan of LotR for 20+ years, and it still continues to capture my imagination.

The books, in my opinion, are some of the best fiction ever written, with not only a story to keep your interest, but a whole new world to explore. They opened avenues for all kinds of related things, the movies being the most apparent.

DVD sales may have gone down, but doesn't any movie after it has been out a while, it doesn't mean to say people have lost interest or it is not as popular.

The fact LotR is still vastly recognised worldwide, so many years after it was written, is testiment enough.

It has always had a large following. I can't see it stopping now.

Edited by Strider

I'd say Yes it has had its day. Judging by the ammount of people on this section of the forum at the time when the big three were still out. Now there are just a few of us 'Die Hards' still here. It has had its day in the sense that the crazy, mad enthusiasm for all things Middle Earth has died down. Kids have moved onto F4 or SW. The Trilogy is complete and its dominance has come to an end. But as soon as The Hobbit comes out, I think everyone will be back.

See in that sense its Timeless. It'll live forever but its Hyper-popularity will wax and wane like the moon.....

..... Hmmm.... that went a bit Elf-like then. I rambled into metaphoric rubbish. B)

'The Stars are Veiled'

Davey I was thinking the same thing not long ago.

I voted no because Lotr has sustained it's popularity through the last 50 years(the books that is) and the films are still fresh in people's minds to a certain degree.

As a major fan of lotr I noticed that I don't watch them as much as I used to (nearly everyday) and I wonder if it's just other things come along to tempt you. That's not necessarily a bad thing!

I like to follow up on the cast's new projects and I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me on this one, but they are(mainly the Hobbits) part of my life. Following their careers is almost like watching one of your friends doing well...okay that might sound a bit bonkers! ;)

What i mean is that lotr isn't just a film/trilogy/book to me. It changed my life! (Cue orchestra) No really...it did! I would never have gone to cons or made the friends I have without those films. :(

So basically I feel this:

If i don't comment in this forum it's not because I don't care about lotr anymore.

If i don't watch the films it's probably because I am watching Lost or another film.

And I still love my Galadriel Barbie!

I think these things have a revival after a few years....Anyone excited about the possiblity of a musical? It's supposed to be out sometime next year...i think! Dodgy or what???!!!!

:lol:

Had its day? No, not really.

So all the little kids dont go crazy for it anymore. *shrugs* Doesn't mean its dead. We have had three if not four LotR packed years. So it's time to take a break. Look to some other things. I dont watch star wars as much as i did when i was a kid. But they're certainly not dead in my mind (even with the awful prequals).

I just wish somthing as good would come along. I havent seen anything thats taken my breath away like LotR did since FotR came out almost FIVE YEARS AGO!

Not that there hasn't been some great films, just nothing as epic. I have high hopes for Narnia.

But LotR's dead? Certainly not! Just resting.

Edited by L_T

I never voted btw lol!

Im sure I will come to the conclusion I expected from this thread once a few more people have posted :D

which is....?

844871[/snapback]

If thats what you want, i have a feeling you wont get it. Pose the same question in general chat and you might. But not here.

I never voted btw lol!

Im sure I will come to the conclusion I expected from this thread once a few more people have posted :lol:

which is....?

844871[/snapback]

If thats what you want, i have a feeling you wont get it. Pose the same question in general chat and you might. But not here.

845608[/snapback]

GO L_T!