Dealers selling pirate DVDs

Was just wondering why a dealer was aloud to get away with selling pirate copies of Star Wars Episode 3, Batman Begins, Sin City and a few other films?

He had DVD cases on his stall with the words "Display Purpose Only" but when someone asked about them he went under his stall and came up with DVDs with the names of the film written on the disc, this seems horribly wrong to me as this is a event to celebrate films, not rip them off.

Also I noticed a stall selling TV Shows such as Smallville, Enterprise, Stargate, 24 and Battlestar Galactica on DVDr. I have noticed these same people at other events and was wondering how can selling recordings of TV shows on DVDr media be legal?

Edited by Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, totally agree on this topic. They always appear at conventions, last time i saw them was at Bristol.

I saw a movie and thought to myself, hey this is not out for ages. This is a pirate.

SM need to know about this and stamp this out.

Edited by BluebizzieB

Is it the same stall that were selling cd roms of stuff that they had downloaded off the internet of specific shows which was not charged for.

I'm sure that sentence could make sense if the words were reordered but too knackered after today to do it.

All forum members should absolutely pledge to inform SM personnel of ANY dealer selling pirated DVD's. Not only are most of a poor quality and illegal, anyone buying them is a bit hypocritcal in supporting the actors who attend these shows. Pirated DVD's are harming the industry.

WE SHOULD NOT ENCOURAGE THEM..

whats wrong will getting the movies you want early and cheaper man yous is all brainwashed by the law i got my copy of episode 3 bloody good it is to if you wanna ring the police ring them on them £20 autograph prices now thats criminal!!! ;)

Er.... Too Tall? Can we erase this guy from existence please? I don't know about anyone else, but I don't particularly appreciate half-wits like this supporting sales of pirate DVDs at events. I've seen a number of posts from him trash-talking, and while every now and then that's amusing he does it every post.....

And DrWhoNuts? You're boasting about getting a hooky copy of Episode 3? You think that's big dude? Every guy out there with a broadband connection is already right in front of you. The difference is, some people actually support the industry by *buying* the films they like. It's people like you who destroy the film industry, and I for one am tired of paying over the odds just because people like you would rather spend their money on 8-Ace and 40 fags and hang around the bowling alley, and then *steal* (and yes, it is stealing) stuff that others pay for.

Grow up.

Edited by MikeDonovan

okay I can see why this is a problem at an event like this - but hating people that sell and buy pirate dvds COME ON! The only reason people buy pirate dvds is because regular dvds are a rip off and the cinema is a rip off. If the film industry wanna stamp out this problem they can do several things to sort it out - for example lower cinema prices and release things here and the USA at THE SAME TIME! :unsure:

Yawn.

Ignore this fool people - he'll be banned as soon as a mod turns up - we know it, and more importantly he knows it. He's just taking advantage of the fact that the mods are out to do some trash-talking. As soon as a mod arrives it will be :unsure: for him.

DRWHONUTS the easiest way if you have a problem with Mike is to come to CM8 and talk to him about it. I only know him from here, to be fair I know nothing about him but he seems like a sound guy.

So just talk face to face rather than giving it the big one behind a computer anybody can do that and it just makes you look stupid

DRWHONUTS the easiest way if you have a problem with Mike is to come to CM8 and talk to him about it. I only know him from here, to be fair I know nothing about him but he seems like a sound guy.

So just talk face to face rather than giving it the big one behind a computer anybody can do that and it just makes you look stupid

lol Cheers Dom :( Here, I was walking around on Sunday and I heard someone say something like '...... oh and this is Dom' - this Dom was shaking hands with another guy, in a little group nearby the Val Kilmer section on Sunday - round about 1:00 I think. Was that you?

Should have said hello I 'spose!

Oh well - will make a mental note to buy you a beer at CM8 :P

lol Cheers Dom :D Here, I was walking around on Sunday and I heard someone say something like '...... oh and this is Dom' - this Dom was shaking hands with another guy, in a little group nearby the Val Kilmer section on Sunday - round about 1:00 I think. Was that you?

Should have said hello I 'spose!

Oh well - will make a mental note to buy you a beer at CM8 :P

Yeah that was me, turns out im infamous. Im sure as soon as they all get back the Dom appreciation threads will start :(

Will be at C8 and look forward to the beer :D

Yeah that was me, turns out im infamous. Im sure as soon as they all get back the Dom appreciation threads will start ;)

Well, I spose infamy is still fame, so it can't be all bad :P no worries about the beer lol - look forward to it - if old Gates McFadden turns up I'll have something to celebrate!

Yeah that was me, turns out im infamous. Im sure as soon as they all get back the Dom appreciation threads will start :D

Well, I spose infamy is still fame, so it can't be all bad :P no worries about the beer lol - look forward to it - if old Gates McFadden turns up I'll have something to celebrate!

You do the celebrating that by yourself man, I will not be party to any Trek or Buffy related antics. ;)

CM8 looks good though, will probably go both days and the party. Had a good crack this weekend.

Although it's not quite the same, no one ever complains about dealers selling region 1 DVDs of unreleased films (in the UK) at conventions in this country.

That's illegal too.

True you can not legally sell Region 1 DVDs inside the UK as anything released has to be passed by the BBFC but even Region 1 DVDs are the real thing and have to be imported and not copies of a film that someone has downloaded off the net and thought "i will stick it on a 50p disc and charge £5 for it to make myself some money"

Also, DVD prices maybe high in the UK but that is why you should always search around first, I picked up Scrubs Season 1 for £30 on Saturday which at the time I thought was a good price, that was until I checked the net and found it available for £19.99 so you could say I got ripped off but at least its the real thing and not something someone has downloaded and thought they could make a quick bit of money from.