My evenstar necklace

Poppy

hiya guys

My parents brought me the evenstar necklace for my graduation present, so it is extremely important to me! (precious if you will LOL)

However as we all know sterling silver does tarnish, which is fair enough............I just thought I could take it into a jewellers and get it cleaned.

I tried doing it by hand but I can;t get into all the little areas so it still looks tarnished and quite rubbish.

however I must have taken it to around 5 jewellers in my local area and NONE of them would touch it. they said it was not good enough quality for them to clean it and anyway most jewellers dip things in cleaning solution, which you can;t do with the evenstar!

I'm really unsure what to do, it never occured to me that they would refuse to touch it.

what have you guys done?

Its really tarnished and as the evenstar is supposed to sparkle, its no where near good enough. I saw a new one recently and it was so pretty, mine looks dank and horrid.

I would appreciate any help.

love poppyxxxxx ;):D

hiya guys

My parents brought me the evenstar necklace for my graduation present, so it is extremely important to me!  (precious if you will LOL)

However as we all know sterling silver does tarnish, which is fair enough............I just thought I could take it into a jewellers and get it cleaned.

I tried doing it by hand but I can;t get into all the little areas so it still looks tarnished and quite rubbish.

however I must have taken it to around 5 jewellers in my local area and NONE of them would touch it.  they said it was not good enough quality for them to clean it and anyway most jewellers dip things in cleaning solution, which you can;t do with the evenstar!

I'm really unsure what to do, it never occured to me that they would refuse to touch it.

what have you guys done?

Its really tarnished and as the evenstar is supposed to sparkle, its no where near good enough.  I saw a new one recently and it was so pretty, mine looks dank and horrid.

I would appreciate any help.

love poppyxxxxx :P  :lol:

I saw a tip on TV for cleaning silver jewellery. Hope it works for you.

Take a plastic container eg a sandwich box and line with tinfoil. Add a couple of inches of hot water and two tablespoons-ful of soda crystals. When the crystals have melted, add the item you wish to clean. Wait a while.

The chemical reaction between the soda and the tinfoil makes silver gleam like new.

Good luck!

Pauline XX

Edited by orlandopassion

As you can't dip it into any sort of cleaning solution, I recommend tooth picks! :D And cotton wool swabs. It'll be a time consuming process but it will look pretty good once done. Just using your normal silver cleaning kit dip the tip of your tooth pick into it and get into the cracks, then with a swab clean it out... if they wont get in cut the swab into a point and then use it.

These things are so often only meant for display! It's heartbreaking when you see some one wearing movie replica jewelery and it's gone all coppery or tarnished. I have two One Rings (y'know, just incase one gets stolen...B) ) and I have NEVER worn them! They stay put in their cases and that way I can make sure they will never tarnish.

Any way I hope all the advice here some how totals up to something helpful! ;)

Try going straight to the source, like emailing New Line, after all...it is their merchandise.

Send them an email via their online store, (the online contact form can be found HERE ), and see what happens.

They might not know, but could maybe push you in the right direction.

Failing that, I would start emailing places that I know sell them. At this stage, it's worth trying everything.

Are you sure it's sterling silver? Does it have a hallmark?

Why can't you dip it into a cleaning solution? I should think scrubbing it with anything abrasive would scratch it but am baffled by the ban on dipping.

Pauline XX

If it is sterling silver, then you will not affect the evenstar if you put it in a silver dipping solution. Go to Leslie Davis or Ernest Jones and ask for a tub of silver jewellery cleaner, it cost about £3.50. It smells alot but if you dip you Evenstar in the dip for 5 seconds and take it out then dip it a glass of plain old water to wash the cleaner off as to avoid irratation. The solution is fast working and it will look as new. It is also reusable!

There are only 2 reasons why you wouldnt be able to put the evenstar in a cleaning solution:

1. It is not sterling silver - Check for a hallmark with the numbers 925 on them.

2. The stones are soft and the solution would effect them. This will not be the case however with the evenstar, as I believe the stones are just crystal glass.

Hope that helps, I did used to work in a Jewellers and the reason they wont touch it is because it is not their product and are scared to break it. :wub: Because they wont just dip it in silver they also buff things up, which would be impossible cause of the way its made.

Davey ;)

If it is sterling silver, then you will not affect the evenstar if you put it in a silver dipping solution. Go to Leslie Davis or Ernest Jones and ask for a tub of silver jewellery cleaner, it cost about £3.50. It smells alot but if you dip you Evenstar in the dip for 5 seconds and take it out then dip it a glass of plain old water to wash the cleaner off as to avoid irratation. The solution is fast working and it will look as new. It is also reusable!

There are only 2 reasons why you wouldnt be able to put the evenstar in a cleaning solution:

1.  It is not sterling silver - Check for a hallmark with the numbers 925 on them.

2.  The stones are soft and the solution would effect them. This will not be the case however with the evenstar, as I believe the stones are just crystal glass.

Hope that helps, I did used to work in a Jewellers and the reason they wont touch it is because it is not their product and are scared to break it. :D Because they wont just dip it in silver they also buff things up, which would be impossible cause of the way its made.

Davey :P

There is a note in the evenstar box saying 'DO NOT DIP THIS EVENSTAR IN SILVER CLEANING SOLUTION AS THE JEWELS ARE GLUED ON AND WILL BECOME DAMAGED IF DIPPED IN CLEANING SOLUTION'

Thanks for advice guys. Its definately sterling silver as its hallmarked, its the jewels not being properly set that are a problem.

I live quite a long way from the shop that i brought it from (I brought it at collectormania but have all the details, so am gonna email them). They have however put a note in the box saying the above and that 'silver will tarnish and this is not a fault'

which it definately is not - but I never thought that jewellers would not touch it.

so far I have spent a week on and off trying to clean it. The back now positively gleams, but despite using a sterling silver cloth and a whittled down cotton bud, its still not looking good and i;m getting fed up!

Its the jewllers saying its not good enough quality (meaning the stones being stuck on) that has worried me, and that of course it will tarnish again and then i will have to go through all of this again.

I will email the shop and new line. My mum is taking it to a jewellers tomorrow, as she knows an owner of a jewellery and is gonna talk to them about it. Failing that I will email the shop and new line.

Thanks for all your advice guys I really appreciate. I am sure I could use cleaning solution but I'm so worried because of the note, and I am so clumsy I bet i would damage it.

I am totally fed up with cleaning it and hardly seeing an improvement! LOL (i;m ob not very good).

I was gonna get the charm bracelet or the leaf of lothlorien bracelet for my birthday, but have decided against it for now, until I can sort this out! ;)

love poppyxx :D

Edited by Poppy

I was gonna get the charm bracelet or the leaf of lothlorien bracelet for my birthday, but have decided against it for now, until I can sort this out! :D

Oh still get them! Just not from the same people you bought your Evenstar from! Jewels glued in?

DON'T USE A TOOTHBRUSH ON THE STONES! a few ppl I know have lost stones out of Evenstar necklaces really easily, you have to be careful with the stones!

Blimey,they are badly made then......( Either that,or the ppl you know have scrubbed really hard.You do have to be very gentle when using a toothbrush, but I thought that was just common sense...My bad!) :D

N.B. Oh and a very soft baby toothbrush should help the hard handed.. :P

DON'T USE A TOOTHBRUSH ON THE STONES! a few ppl I know have lost stones out of Evenstar necklaces really easily, you have to be careful with the stones!

Blimey,they are badly made then......( Either that,or the ppl you know have scrubbed really hard.You do have to be very gentle when using a toothbrush, but I thought that was just common sense...My bad!) :D

no they didn't scrub hard they just got ripped off!

Blimey,they are badly made then......( Either that,or the ppl you know have scrubbed really hard.You do have to be very gentle when using a toothbrush, but I thought that was just common sense...My bad!) :lol:

no they didn't scrub hard they just got ripped off!

very bad quality then.Gawd they'd stay on better if stuck with superglue.... ;)

Poppy, in all seriousness I very highly doubt that the silver solution will make the stones fall off if they are only in there for 5 secs. But think about it, they are already glued on so if they do fall off, just stick em back on! :lol:

The only reason I can think they are glued on is because they wanted to make it exactly the same as the "real" evenstar, the real evenstar has no setting for the stones to be put in, like claws on a diamond ring for instance, hence they have no other choice but to glue them on. There is such a setting which is invisible, but obviously they didnt know about that.

But seriously, give the silver solution a go, just for 5 secs then wash it off in a glass of water, it should work. If not, as I said just glue them on, but I HIGHLEY doubt you will need to ;)

Who always follows the directions :D

^_^

PS you really dont have to listen to me lol! I just like waffling :P

Davey seriously I would agree with you, but I have been having awful bad luck lately and knowing my luck it would just die in the cleaner! LOL (and yes, I normally do follow the instructions, shall I put my dunce cap on and sit in the corner? LOL)

My brillant Mum convinced a jeweller she knows to clean it by hand with special solution and it has come out perfectly, so problem solved. He also said he would do it again and now the evenstar is sparkling once more and beth is much happier, that her beloved evenstar is back in action.

as for the not buying from the place i got it from - its not actually made by them. Its a proper Lord of the Rings one, and has a new line certificate in it. so its not their fault!

Thanks for all ur advice guys! :huh: