What about the COMIC guests?

i would like to see kelley jones - his art work on the batman covers for knightfall etc has not been matched in my eyes!

Also frank miller would be a nice tie in - what with sin city being released in june.

Lastly what about the artists and writers from v for vendetta - this is filming at the mo (you must have seen pics of nat with the bald head!) and would be a perfect opp to get some of the comics signed before the movie comes out next year!

• 2 weeks later...

What about the comic book guests indeed!

I went to both previous London Film and Comic cons - I enjoyed them both but when I came away from them the problem I had was that I couldn't for the life of me understand what differentiates a "Collectormania" from a "London Film and Comic Con". Both have a mixture of big name Angel/Buffy stars, the odd rare signer (Carrie Fisher), a number of much loved Trek and Star Wars actors and the retro/cult guests (Dr Who, Blake 7). To me LFCC was completely indistinguishable from Collectormania except in two important respects: 1) You pay to get in LFCC and 2) LFCC attracted far fewer attendees than Collectormania (for the reason behind that see (1). In my opinion LFCC didn't yet have its own unique identity - something to make it stand out from its older brother Collectormania.

When I heard about the move to Earls Court and Showmasters plans I was thrilled. Finally it seemed that we were getting Britain's answer to the San Diego comic con. Every major studio views the San Diego event as a major promotional event, Inkworks release comic con only related merchandise there and so do several of the major US toy manufacturers. Plus every major comic publishing house (Marvel, Dc, Dark Horse etc) are represented in San Diego. My expectations for the British event were realistic but I thought that if only Showmasters could replicate it on a minor level I would be thrilled.

Its now 3 weeks before the event ......... and I still can't distinguish LFCC from Collectormania! We have one big name Angel guest, one big name Film Guest (Ron Perlman), some much loved Trek, Highlander and Farscape guests, some 24 guests and the retro guests. I just don't see that there has yet been anyone announced that couldn't have just as comfortably appeared in Milton Keynes at any of the Collectormania events.

There are no comic book guests - not a single solitary one! If you would like some suggestions how about Neil Gaiman, Kevin Smith, Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Garth Ennis? If you don't think your market is necessarily comic book devotees (and I would say from the looks of the forum that is definitely the case) then why not simply drop the comic element from future events?

I have heard about the possible Serenity showcase and if you can pull that off I will bow down to you like the gods that you are....but bear in mind that by the end of the year all but one of the main Serenity cast and the film's executive producer will have appeared at events run by another organiser. The film is already being nicely publicised on the backs of those events and I would have thought that simple loyalty may prevent some of the cast appearing in a few weeks.

Regardless I just feel that at the moment with the line up announced LFCC still isn't Britain's answer to San Diego - in fact its several light years removed from that. Why not simply have 3 Collectormania events a year - people would definitely come to all 3 and it would save the pain of hiring an undoubtedly obscenely priced London based venue - only to fill it with the exact same guests you would have hired for the middle of the Milton Keynes shopping centre!

What about the dudes that do the UK comics, i.e. Essential X-Men, Wolverine & Deadpool, Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spiderman, and the new Avengers and Daredevil & Hulk comics. They're all mega cool :D

Persephone1 is so right!

SM has a huge opportunity here to make the LFCC the European version of the San Diego Comic Con, but clearly they are not interested.

Only 3 weeks to go and NOT ONE comic book artist/writer has been confirmed.

I'm not sure if I should find this sad or just pathetic...

London Film and COMIC con indeed... :D

They had the artist from V for Vendetta at eh First LFCC, I didn't get the chance to meet him, but he was very nice apparently.

More comic based guests are definately needed.

David Lloyd, Frank Miller, Alan Moore.....

A lot of the work they have done is being made into film anyway, Watchmen is in pre prod so soon it'll be a cross genre and moe popular. Why not get them now while it's still in a little bit of a lull?

Phi xxx

Pwity pwease with chweese on twop? :lol: Come on SM - we know you've got alot of requests, but we're not asking for the impossible - just some comic guests, as all! DC, Marvel - any!!! Lolz. I belieeeeve in you! Hehe.

Well I sent Showmasters an e-mail regarding the comic guests and got this reply:

Hi Chris,

We are constantly in negotiations with guests and hope to announce new additions soon.

David

Showmasters Ltd

Hmmmmm..... :lol:

Edited by jamesbondguy

Yup i'm also in agreement, no point calling it a comic con with no comic guests.

As far as dream comic guests go, i'd adore to meet John Cassaday, his artwork on astonishing X-Men was outstanding. and while we're on the subject, ya could always fullfill everyones dreams and drag good ol' Joss Whedon along, after all he'd fit in BOTH catagorys! :(