Orlando in Kingdom of Heaven

Merry Madam

I saw it last night and I have to say that I was very impressed by Orlando in it! I wouldn't be a huge Orlando fan, I think he's good looking alright (not as good looking as Dom of course :D ) but I always thought his acting was a bit dicey! But he's very good in KOH! Anyone else seen it yet?

I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate here....

I watched it last night and was not impressed. OB tried to be the hero but I don't think he quite made it.

The supporting cast was excellent, so were the effects (untill the repetition started). The biggest downfall was the actual script and plot (too weak).

Well my Barry Norman review is over - please don't hate me

PS: The trailers were good though - full Sin City trailer followed by the full Star Wars Ep 3 trailer B)

Aw I didn't get a Sin City trailer! Saw a War of the Worlds one though, it looks really good! The supporting cast in KOH were good alright! I don't think Orlando should be nominated for an Oscar for this performance or anything, but I think it is a big improvement on his past roles!

(untill the repetition started).

A little like this thread? See other Kingdom of Heaven entry.

An actor can only be as good as his script. What Orlando did here was new to him and an excellent performance in a pretty good film. He did not write the script nor the plot so perhaps the title of the thread could be altered to make allowances for the fact that you seem to be judging the film and not the actor. ?

Unfortunately, any actor being offered a part in a Ridley Scott film is going to accept. Regardless of how the initial script is going to sound, his experience goes before him and the outcome of any Scott film is expected to be of the highest quality. I personally loved the film and will see it again. (By the way, I am neither young nor a fangirl). xxD

orlando bloom may look good but he sure can't act.

okey, so he's perfectly in major blockbuster movies sharing the spottlight but he can't carry a movie. you especially notice it in the scenes he has to share with real actors like jeremy irons, edward norton, liam neeson and david thewliss.

sorry orli fans, but he always plays the same character and talks/ reacts in the same way in every bloody movie.

He was ok as usual. Nothing special.

Its his voice...........it doesn't work on screen. I don't know why he uses that accent, its not his actual accent either. But he always uses this slightly posh out of breath accent on screen :lol:

I have yet to watch K.O.H. Went to cinema last night, but was dragged off to see The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy instead. Which, incidentally, was fantastic...

Looking forward to K.O.H though :blink:

Its his voice...........it doesn't work on screen. I don't know why he uses that accent, its not his actual accent either. But he always uses this slightly posh out of breath accent on screen :D

EXACTLY!

Its his voice...........it doesn't work on screen. I don't know why he uses that accent, its not his actual accent either. But he always uses this slightly posh out of breath accent on screen  :D

EXACTLY!

Orlando's training is showing, that's all!

He's a young actor who is still playing the part of being a young actor. Hopefully he'll mature with time and learn how to inhabit his roles more effectively. Some actors never do - Humphrey Bogart was always essentially Humphrey Bogart. James Cagney, ditto. Brad Pitt. Hugh Grant. Julia Roberts. Helen Hunt. I could name many more...

I am neither young nor too blinded by love (!!) to see Orlando's present shortcomings as an actor. He is cast, I think, almost solely for his beauty - which is considerable - and for the fact that he photographs like a dream. Hollywood is about making money. Whetever else he may or may not be he is most definitely a STAR. He puts bums on seats, sells merchandise and provokes hysterical worship by just being his sweet, self-depracating but ferociously determined self. Not bad for a young man of only 28.

He KNOWS he has a lot to learn. Please give him a chance!

Yes, I adore him. But that's another story.

Pauline XX

well... i have seen it now and... orli was actually ok. he was nothing amazing but he was a lot better than i thought he would be. i had every intention of pointing and laughing at him... but there was no call for it. he did ok.

i think the film was a lot better than troy and waaaaaay better than alexander. but i dont think it would have suffered if orli wasnt in it.

still.... like i said. he wasnt that bad at all. go orli!

=x=

Ditto wiccawise! I was expecting him to be kind of (majorly!) crap, but he wasn't bad! I think it's unfortunate that a lot of critics slate him just for the sake of it, I guess he's an easy target!

Oh and don't get me started on Alexander, I walked out of it after 2 hours, have no idea why I even stayed that long!

Ditto wiccawise! I was expecting him to be kind of (majorly!) crap, but he wasn't bad! I think it's unfortunate that a lot of critics slate him just for the sake of it, I guess he's an easy target!

Oh and don't get me started on Alexander, I walked out of it after 2 hours, have no idea why I even stayed that long!

lmao!!! it sucked didnt it. i have never not finished watching a filmso i didnt walk out but .... i will NEVER watch it again.

=x=

I saw it last night and I have to say that I was very impressed by Orlando in it! I wouldn't be a huge Orlando fan, I think he's good looking alright (not as good looking as Dom of course :wub: ) but I always thought his acting was a bit dicey! But he's very good in KOH! Anyone else seen it yet?

he was GREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

I went to see KOH this weekend and really enjoyed it. I think it's unfortunate (but inevitable) that it will be compared with LOTR and Gladiator because there are the Orli/Ridley Scott connections and also a similar feel of scale with the huge battle scenes (as in LOTR) as well as the fast-paced, close-filmed combat stuff where the blood is literally splattering the camera lens (as in Gladiator). Both of those films (counting FOTR/TTT/ROTK as one) set new benchmarks and it is a shame for those that follow them that anything vaguely similar will now be compared to them. I had slight reservations about what to expect after Troy (which I thought was largely dreadful), but I was pleasantly surprised by KOH. I got the impression that the older/more experienced actors seemed to be taking OB under their wing both in character and on their own behalf - there seemed to be a genuine warmth towards him on screen from most of the performers that seemed to me to go beyond characterisation and not just from the more seasoned heavyweights but actors like David Thewliss, who is hardly an old boy but does have a lot of experience. Did anyone else pick up on that or am I just being a big old softy? I actually thought OB was a rather inspired piece of casting, a bit like art imitating life: I know he's been involved in some huge projects, but we were seeing a young man with an enormous amount of responsibility being put on his shoulders, both in the film and in real life: everyone has been speculating about whether he was up to carrying a film, and I think he managed it. I'll be really interested to see if he makes the transition to grittier material in the future - not just in the limb-hacking sense - I hope he'll be able to prove his acting chops as a really versatile performer along the lines of a Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp, both of whom combine good looks with superb craftsmanship. I haven't seen all his films, only LOTR/Pirates/KOH/Troy, all of which have a certain similar quality to his performances, so I'm looking forward to seeing him stretch himself a bit.

Mind you, there were some definite probs with the film, that can't be explained away. I mean, humble blacksmith is devastated by death of wife and child and then goes off with (literally) the first woman he sees...hmmm, not exactly true lurve? And the passion wasn't convincing (which I also thought when I saw Troy). And then he has five minutes sword training with his dad and turns into Russell Crowe?? And he knows how to defend a castle (tuning into his past life as Legolas?!). Plus... can anyone tell me how he got away from those baddie knights who had come to kill him - the scene opens with him sitting under a tree and ends with him being knocked out and covered in blood. Next scene we are told he's been killed, then suddenly there he is telling everyone what Saladin's plans are. Did I get abducted by aliens for a few minutes and miss a key scene?

But those niggles aside, Orli gets my vote on this film and I'd certainly see it again (maybe I'd figure out how he got away from those pesky baddies next time round lol).

:o