What about proper, professional photography

NOOOOO!!! :D

Don't do it SM, youv'e got things working well so leave it alone.

I as a serious autograph collector would hate for the emphasis to be taken away from whats important (the autos) to a "I'll take your picture with the monkey sir, only £10" attitude.

If I want a picture of a celeb I can go to a dozen different dealers who will sell me a professional picture that I can then try and get signed.

If I want a picture of me I'll just look in the family album.

Why settle for an image when having something actually signed by the celeb is much more personal.

And can you imagine getting Dom for example doing a photo shoot? Instead of everyone going through quickly like a proper con (rather than a signing event) all the young lady fans will want to spend time chatting, giving presents or whatever and holding up the autos even more.

Sorry this gets the big thumbs down from me.

Basil

First of all let me say, in the nicest possible way, that you are all spoilt rotten by what Showmasters provide at their events.

The fact that most of you have managed to have your photo taken with various celebs/stars is - to some of you - more valuable than the autograph you bought. At some events, you might be allowed to snatch a quick shot while queuing, but a photo with the actor...no way.

These days also, I think that different people have different standards.

People like DavidB are quite competent at taking pics with a very competent digital camera. He is happy with the results, so there is no need for any professional photo shoot in David's eyes. Fair enough. Also some people have commented that they are happy with their snaps taken with those crappy disposable cameras - fair enough then.

The logistics of setting up a proper photo shoot with a number of guests would not be too difficult at somewhere like Wembley, but could be awkward at MK. As someone did comment, you could have say a 30 minute photo session which would give plenty of people the opportunity to have a photo taken. With the photographer shooting Digital and taking several shots of each group, the "but he blinked" scenario should not be any kind of problem.

However, I know that a friend of mine went to another organisers' event recently and was extremely disappointed with what she received. Supposedly a 'professional' photographer, with a 'professional' camera and the photo printed on 'professional' equipment. Well she asked questions as to why ALL the photos had both her and the guest with RED EYE. And the 'photos' were only inkjet prints and the framing of the poses were amateurish!

Did I say that she was disappointed, unhappy, in tears and complained. Did I say she got fobbed off with some crappy excuse. What I would say is that if the photographer was in any way 'professional' - a basic shoot of a guest and a 'punter' would NEVER have redeye and even if it did, it should be corrected before the print was done and sold.

Sadly, different people have different standards and the meaning of the word 'professional' should be just exactly what it says on the box.

If I turned in amateurish 'snaps' to photo editors, PR Companies, Sponsors etc at events I cover, then I would not be booked again. But sadly, for some events, the word 'professional' in fact means "a bloke who has his own camera, who can do the job cheap, so we can squeeze a few more pounds out of the punters".

Frankly, honestly, I can't see how - at Collectormania - it could work, nor that there would be a real demand. At London, maybe in a limited way it could be done - but again it would need to be done properly and all those satisfied customers would be back for more next time.

Edited by keith

Basically the charm behind SM events is the fact you can take photos. The events that have the "professional" photos taken ban all photos.

My best mate tried explaining to me the process but, m'eh. When you buy your ticket it has a number on it, then on the sat they call out certain ticket numbers and you go have a photo taken. then say on the sun they call out numbers and you have that photo signed. Also you are not alowed anything signed that isn't part of/from any events organised by those people.

So, basically, don't even think about it SM!!

And people? Hire a decent camera if you want superb photos, its not the camera's fault if the pics are crap, YOU tell the camera what to do. So its YOUR fault. :wub: Oh and you get what you're given, so only spend £1.99 on a desopsible cam? you only get £1.99 quality photos. Spend nearer £10 and you are looking at better quality.

Have a nice day. If its not broke, don't fix it. :D

Thanks Christa!!

I'm first in the queue!

I'll even let you sit on my knee and tell me what you want for Christmas.

Btw I like my shonky photos, me leaning over tables looking like I have 85 chins and that startled look is plain sexy!

Btw I like my shonky photos, me leaning over tables looking like I have 85 chins and that startled look is plain sexy!

I know! :D And those two photos

1. taken before every one was ready so people are blinking scratching etc.

2. Taken just as people started moving away with startled looks on their faces....

Great Stuff!

My best mate tried explaining to me the process but, m'eh. When you buy your ticket it has a number on it, then on the sat they call out certain ticket numbers and you go have a photo taken. then say on the sun they call out numbers and you have that photo signed. Also you are not alowed anything signed that isn't part of/from any events organised by those people.

As said best friend, I'll attempt to explain it better here than I evidently did to her yesterday! *g*

You buy a ticket. It has a number on it - they call you up in batches, just like the virtual queueing system that Showmasters use for autographs. You go up and get the picture taken, and then over the weekend, they get the pictures developed, and if there's time, signed. These pictures obviously aren't personalised in the sense of having your name on them, it's just a signature - since the guest is just given a stack of photos to sign all of. These are then handed out over the weekend.

So yes, this works because it's a whole weekend event that has a set amount of attendees. With something like Collectormania, it wouldn't work because ANY number of people could turn up on any day, so that would pose a problem - as would photo collection. At the other events I've been to, the pictures are developed during the day - Friday/Saturday pictures will arrive late Saturday or during the day Sunday, Sunday pictures arrive to be collected late Sunday night or Monday morning. With Collectormania, that's another issue to organise - a lot of people only come for one day, so they're going to have to have their photos sent out to them, which takes time and organisation.

I love having my picture taken with the guests professionally at the other events I've been to, BUT when I've been to Collectormania and seen the setup, I think that works excellently too, and wouldn't really suit the professional picture thing.

As Smaug said, they put a ban on you taking pictures with your own camera in queues/at the table, because they're in separate rooms. In MK it's in a shopping centre, something that would be hard to do, but necessary if you want the queues to move fast enough that photo sessions could be fitted in.

Basically ... I'm on a no with this too :)

There is an easy solution to this matter..

Ensure that the organisers do not ban photographs with the guests no matter how much it may slow the queue and how popular the guest may be..

I know the real issue here is the potential time it takes some people who are completely disorganised to get a photograph taken..

I can see 2 possible actions that could help the situation..

1. With the most popular guests, employ a steward who's job would be to actually take the photograph (if required).. This way, the steward would make sure that the camera is ready whilst the autograph is signed and be able to take a quick snap for what should only be about 10 seconds..

2. Split the day.. again for the most popular guests, allow photographs in the morning only on one day and afternoon only on a second day.. That way, if a photograph with a particular guest IS that important, the emphasis would be on the attendee to make the extra effort to arrive early in order to secure that ticket which would allow access during the permitted photograph time.. Also, for those guests who have trouble with being flashed at all day long, this may help them as the time would then be restricted..

There is an easy solution to this matter..

Ensure that the organisers do not ban photographs with the guests no matter how much it may slow the queue and how popular the guest may be..

I know the real issue here is the potential time it takes some people who are completely disorganised to get a photograph taken..

I can see 2 possible actions that could help the situation..

1. With the most popular guests, employ a steward who's job would be to actually take the photograph (if required).. This way, the steward would make sure that the camera is ready whilst the autograph is signed and be able to take a quick snap for what should only be about 10 seconds..

2. Split the day.. again for the most popular guests, allow photographs in the morning only on one day and afternoon only on a second day.. That way, if a photograph with a particular guest IS that important, the emphasis would be on the attendee to make the extra effort to arrive early in order to secure that ticket which would allow access during the permitted photograph time.. Also, for those guests who have trouble with being flashed at all day long, this may help them as the time would then be restricted..

2 words "60 stars"

It'll never work with the " Split the day " thing

I do segest that if you'r not happy with the pic you take go to some one you knew who takes good pic and ask him /her to take you'r pics :-)

it's so much simpel then to change what we all like .

and i dont knew about the rest but for me The "the real issue " is not only the time BUT mainly the chash it might inclode.

I dont feel there is any need to take the guest away to a seperate area. For an extra snall payment you could just be guarenteed a photo at the guests table, most of us take them anyway unless it's strictly forbidden so they should just have the option for the really popular guests with who it is difficlt to get a photo anyway.

I think this topic has strayed from the original point..

This is about the option of having a photograph with those guests that are SO popular or have specific requirements that the organisers feel necessary to ban the taking of photographs.. It's not about those guests where it is never a problem..

Eg: Levar Burton and Brent Spiner, etc..

Rather than a complete blanket ban for these people, the suggestion is that the organisers cater for those attendees where a photograph is more important than an autograph..

This could be done by a limited time profesional photo session (Which can easily be done at Collectormania as there is room down the flankd of the shops.. There is one end that is relatively quiet and roomy)

or

As I suggested above.. Have a period of the day where photographs will be allowed in the normal queue.. Then ban photographs outside of that time to speed the queue up.

or

if time is a factor, have a steward take the photo (all of a few extra seconds) where the steward can prepare the camera whilst the attendee is signing the autograph.. This would ensure minimal additional time in the queue..

or don't worry about the extra time and simply allow photographs with all guests, regardless.

I think that providing another option (albeit costly or limited in time) is preferable to not having a picture taken at all..

I think this topic has strayed from the original point..

This is about the option of having a photograph with those guests that are SO popular or have specific requirements that the organisers feel necessary to ban the taking of photographs.. It's not about those guests where it is never a problem..

Eg: Levar Burton and Brent Spiner, etc..

Rather than a complete blanket ban for these people, the suggestion is that the organisers cater for those attendees where a photograph is more important than an autograph..

This could be done by a limited time profesional photo session (Which can easily be done at Collectormania as there is room down the flankd of the shops.. There is one end that is relatively quiet and roomy)

or

As I suggested above.. Have a period of the day where photographs will be allowed in the normal queue.. Then ban photographs outside of that time to speed the queue up.

or

if time is a factor, have a steward take the photo (all of a few extra seconds) where the steward can prepare the camera whilst the attendee is signing the autograph.. This would ensure minimal additional time in the queue..

or don't worry about the extra time and simply allow photographs with all guests, regardless.

I think that providing another option (albeit costly or limited in time) is preferable to not having a picture taken at all..

Ok that's nice

BUT SM didn't ban anything :-)

as for stewards who take pic', so far I have been to 1 collectormainia c-5 , and just about all the big names hade them , so that's close . thaws who didn't , were nice inafe to let ppl take there pics :-)

And if your still not happy i'll take your picter with just about any one :-)))

First of all let me say, in the nicest possible way, that you are all spoilt rotten by what Showmasters provide at their events.

The fact that most of you have managed to have your photo taken with various celebs/stars is - to some of you - more valuable than the autograph you bought. At some events, you might be allowed to snatch a quick shot while queuing, but a photo with the actor...no way.

These days also, I think that different people have different standards.

People like DavidB are quite competent at taking pics with a very competent digital camera. He is happy with the results, so there is no need for any professional photo shoot in David's eyes. Fair enough. Also some people have commented that they are happy with their snaps taken with those crappy disposable cameras - fair enough then.

The logistics of setting up a proper photo shoot with a number of guests would not be too difficult at somewhere like Wembley, but could be awkward at MK. As someone did comment, you could have say a 30 minute photo session which would give plenty of people the opportunity to have a photo taken. With the photographer shooting Digital and taking several shots of each group, the "but he blinked" scenario should not be any kind of problem.

However, I know that a friend of mine went to another organisers' event recently and was extremely disappointed with what she received. Supposedly a 'professional' photographer, with a 'professional' camera and the photo printed on 'professional' equipment. Well she asked questions as to why ALL the photos had both her and the guest with RED EYE. And the 'photos' were only inkjet prints and the framing of the poses were amateurish!

Did I say that she was disappointed, unhappy, in tears and complained. Did I say she got fobbed off with some crappy excuse. What I would say is that if the photographer was in any way 'professional' - a basic shoot of a guest and a 'punter' would NEVER have redeye and even if it did, it should be corrected before the print was done and sold.

Sadly, different people have different standards and the meaning of the word 'professional' should be just exactly what it says on the box.

If I turned in amateurish 'snaps' to photo editors, PR Companies, Sponsors etc at events I cover, then I would not be booked again. But sadly, for some events, the word 'professional' in fact means "a bloke who has his own camera, who can do the job cheap, so we can squeeze a few more pounds out of the punters".

Frankly, honestly, I can't see how - at Collectormania - it could work, nor that there would be a real demand. At London, maybe in a limited way it could be done - but again it would need to be done properly and all those satisfied customers would be back for more next time.

yeah i also got some 'proffesional' photographs take at a con. i just knew i blinked but the photographer said i didn't. after waiting for the result it appeared i was right. so now i spend 20 euro's on a 'proffesional' photo with my eyes shut. thanx but no thanx

we already did that with some guests like gates mcfadden, joe pantoliano and jake lloyd at c5.

1.  With the most popular guests, employ a steward who's job would be to actually take the photograph (if required).. This way, the steward would make sure that the camera is ready whilst the autograph is signed and be able to take a quick snap for what should only be about 10 seconds..

we already did that with some guests like gates mcfadden, joe pantoliano and jake lloyd at c5.

It was done at C4 aswell, because of Elijah Wood and Dom Monaghan etc. WASTE of time if you ask me. I asked the steward to take a picture and he took one there and then NOT one with me and Elijah. So personally lets not even discuss this again.

Also you have to make sure the steward is capable of taking photos. No use having some one who is worse that you are. And some one who is technically minded. Because there are lots of cameras out there and they need to be able to use them with only the breifest intructions.

I think SM have it right as it is and to do any more would mean something else would have to change. C5 was great! It was so organised and so quick, I had no problems with any of the guests! I even had my picture take *by* one of the guests! :rolleyes:

So in conclusion; don't change a thing.

Have a nice day :blush:

Ok that's nice

as for stewards who take pic', so far I have been to 1 collectormainia c-5 , and just about all the big names hade them , so that's close . thaws who didn't , were nice inafe to let ppl take there pics :-)

Not true.. At LFCC there was a photo ban with Levar Burton and Brent Spiner..

QUOTE (dragonmate1 @ Jul 3 2004, 05:57 AM)

Also not true.... At Gates McFadden's queue there was a sign banning personal photographs.. I know a lot of people ignored it later on, but foolishly, I didn't ignore the sign..

QUOTE (martine @ Jul 3 2004, 10:50 AM)

1.  With the most popular guests, employ a steward who's job would be to actually take the photograph (if required).. This way, the steward would make sure that the camera is ready whilst the autograph is signed and be able to take a quick snap for what should only be about 10 seconds..

It was done at C4 aswell, because of Elijah Wood and Dom Monaghan etc. WASTE of time if you ask me. I asked the steward to take a picture and he took one there and then NOT one with me and Elijah.

Also not true.. there was no steward employed to take pictures and as far as I can remember there was a ban on both Elijah and Dominic..

I am simply offering a suggestion to showmasters to cater for those attendees who would rather have a photo than the autograph.. It needn't take up too much time..

Just thought.. how about doing the photo-op early.. We usually have to wait up to an hour after opening for the guests to start signing.. How about getting them to the venue half an hour early for photo-op tickets??

Also not true.. there was no steward employed to take pictures and as far as I can remember there was a ban on both Elijah and Dominic..

Just thought.. how about doing the photo-op early.. We usually have to wait up to an hour after opening for the guests to start signing.. How about getting them to the venue half an hour early for photo-op tickets??

*kicks* Neeerrrr I am right on the first one. There was a ban on personal photos, but not a total ban. This is what the other cons do. They ban photos out right. On the *thinks* Monday when I saw Elijah (was queuing from about 4am, cleaners left a door open and snuck in lol) you could get the guy at the front (steward I presumed) to take the photo. So you didn't have friends fart arsing about with cameras. They wanted you up, signed, photed and out in about 2 mins.

If you handed your cam to a steward they took it so everything was quick quick quick. But as you said, not many people took any notice. :D *cough* But, yeah, No ban, just they wanted you in and out quick. They didn't care how you did it.

Next point:

Why do you think we have to wait up to an hour before they start signing!? If SM get them in for a shoot in the morning they aint gonna be able to do it any earlier! It will probably delay the start even further.

But it is workable. I hate waiting to get the virtual queue tickets. If the stewards start giving out the tickets *as* the photos are being taken (a conference room near John Lewis? If there is one? I dunno). Then the queues can move as soon as the stars come in. Also, the four day weekend does seem to work well so - more time.

Who are we kidding? This is more money and people can barely afford the w/e as it is. At the con my mate went to, a group photo cost £80! I think it'll make the w/e more complicated, for punters and SM security.

Any way, lets hope SM see this! *shouts* Showmasters! *cough* They know more about this than we do and they'll be able to make sense of the ideas we've thrown about and try to realise it.

Might be an idea to do it on the Friday afternoon? One of the quiet days and people pay that bit extra to have the professional pics taken.

But, yeah, I'll shurrup now.

Who are we kidding? This is more money and people can barely afford the w/e as it is. At the con my mate went to, a group photo cost £80! I think it'll make the w/e more complicated, for punters and SM security.

Although to be fair, I'm a huge saddo and was more than willing to pay that ... don't think I would have paid more, though. *g*

I think if having professional photos taken wouldn't work, a properly briefed steward around to help if necessary wouldn't hurt - because if you're there on your own, the guest liasion is at the wrong angle to take the picture and you have to ask someone behind you in the queue to do it for you. Which is nice and all, but I personally don't like asking people I don't know things like that, I'm just a bit shy. So having a steward available to do it might not be the worst thing.

Ok that's nice

Not true.. At LFCC there was a photo ban with Levar Burton and Brent Spiner..

Also not true.... At Gates McFadden's queue there was a sign banning personal photographs.. I know a lot of people ignored it later on, but foolishly, I didn't ignore the sign..

It was done at C4 aswell, because of Elijah Wood and Dom Monaghan etc. WASTE of time if you ask me. I asked the steward to take a picture and he took one there and then NOT one with me and Elijah.

I am simply offering a suggestion to showmasters to cater for those attendees who would rather have a photo than the autograph.. It needn't take up too much time..

ok so some stars don't like to have there pic taken..stupid if you ask me , but they're entitled to it , BUT we all knew way a head about that , don't knew about you but if I knew that Levar Burton doesn't like to have his photo taken then it is safe to assume every one knows ..well almost every one :-)

any way whose asking them , you seed it you're self a lot of ppl ignored that and came with a pic so you do the same this time :-) at the worst you get Brant screaming at you <lol> now that's a story <lol> just make sure you get his auto before ;-)

Elijah and Dom... haam.... been there and had my pic taken with both ,,,sooo sorry I didn't knew there was a ban I just asked them and they seed yes .

so my suggestion is : ask the guests them selves , no one ales , if they say No then ask if you can take there pic with out you being in it some will say yes, if it's still a NO ( which if you ask me is completely ridicules of them) then get you're auto and get there pic from afar , if you have a good camera and a nice zoom you'll be surprised ;-)

If you dont have a camera ask some one , from what i have seen so far of the ppl here you'l get lots of offers :-)

excuse me mate, but i was taking the pics of gates mcfadden and jake lloyd with visitors on the sunday so like i said. we did that, maybe not on the day you where there but we did do it at some point. it depends on how many stewards you have at that time and if they show up.

QUOTE (dragonmate1 @ Jul 3 2004, 05:57 AM

)

well dunno about that. i didn't see the sign no personal photographs allowed when i was a visitor myself on the friday she was okay with it and on the sunday while working and taking pics of her and other peeps i didn't see a sign either,

there was a sign however that said: no FLASH photography allowed. i warned people not to use the flash but some #*&$$^%$ peeps still did it anyway. so if a sign was hung after that (no photographs or personal pics allowed) i find it very understandable. some people ruin it for the rest.

if they ban some stuff they do it for a good reason.

and as far as c4 goes, no one counted on sooooo many people (not me anyway). esp. the ones that took 40 autographs and stuff. they learned from their mistake and the queues are better organised now and there is a limit of 5 signatures per time. you could clearly see it at c5 and lfcc2. and sometimes there ARE crewmembers who take photographs of you and the guests but not always. like i said it depends on how many spare crewmembers they have.

Edited by martine

...1. With the most popular guests, employ a steward who's job would be to actually take the photograph (if required).. This way, the steward would make sure that the camera is ready whilst the autograph is signed and be able to take a quick snap for what should only be about 10 seconds...

hehe!

SM *DID* actually do this at c5!

a mate of mine spent most of Saturday in Darth Maul's queue (soz tis late and my mind's gone blank!) taking photos for everyone!

surfy sah xx

oops sorry that has already been mentioned - I replied to that back on page 2 without realising there was another page :huh:

right as to what some one said about photos with DOM.

I was one of the lucky last people to meet him on sunday and asked this guy (he wasn't a crew peep but I thought he was cause it was my first SM event - he must have been a "guest liason" or something) to take the pic of me and Dom but obviously he didn't speak English well or was stupid as I also ended up with a random shot, of the back of me and a bit of Dom. LOVELY. :unsure:

would have asked the person behind me but was all so quick ahhh!

photos can only take a few seconds (yes off topic again maybe) if they aren't posed. I'm not asking the star to get up put arms round me etc (although that is LUSH :lol: ) if SM did employ crew SPECIFICALLY for this (only really needed for POPULAR/BIG guests) all the star has to do is look up and smile while signing and the fan, such as myself, just has to be at the side, no time at all if the queuers, guest and crew know.

surfy sah xx

i think that professional photography is in theroy a good idea, but in practice it's not going to be. not everyone will want professional photos taking, and will be happy with the ones that they take themselves. and the photos will obviously cost some; not everyone is willing to pay extra to get these taken. but then again some people hate the fact that they meet their favourite celebrity in the entire universe, then when the photos come back there's either really bad red eye or a thumb over the lens, or the lens door wasn't open so the whole thing is cat in a shadow or something else disastrous.

in the end it would be a choice either between taking our own photos OR getting a proffessional to take them... which would mean that everyone would have to pay. it'd be extremely difficult to organise the two :D