Doctor who guests (LFCC 2023)

D-C-A

4 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

Showmasters have had Donald Sumpter before, admittedly some of the smaller shows, so potentially due another appearance.

It is amazing how this little show has survived for so long. And still going strong

The value everyone rule, like you, I love getting people to sign my 500 year diary no matter the role or roles they played or how small.  Admittedly, Michael Carter was the exception, I had his autograph for Star Wars,  But I couldnt justify the price last year, I was even in the queue, but even then i was 50-50 about getting him. It came down to if i'm not 100% then dont get him

He would be a good one and i think he'd make the random photo category, and by all means i would get two autographs from him at least, one on Lost in Time and one for "The Sea Devils" as that has gained a few names even if it is only at 6, the fact i have to say 6 names is still on the smaller side says too much, and i'm unsure in a good way or not.

as for Carter, i was 50/50 in the queue but i think that day i was suffering from heat exhaustion and was trying to get through a rough pat... month, so i just said screw it and added him to "The Mind of Evil", albeit if i didn't get him there i wouldn't have gotten Michael Stevens on there, but i'm happy i did, again that man was a lovely chat, i think i have the photo on a story somewhere i took of him as i promised him that i'd have him added for "the Sea Devils" as nowhere listed him, now IMDB Does credit him for the role.

all things considered that year was a good one for smaller roles that i was managing to nab, and i think was the first time i got someone who wasn't an actor or Script Editor, but by all accounts i get it £25 on Carter for an uncredited role at the start of his career? yeah i can see why people would over look him on that front, he was friendly from what i gathered but didn't think much of said appearance, admittedly by that point it was a small one 50 years ago, and he'd done bigger things since, but even then some actors appreciate when you ask for their name on something they did so many years ago, recognising the smaller works.

I think the only ones i missed that weekend were Simon Furman, because i brought the wrong Booklet as i thought the feature that had him was on Season 24 when it was 26, and then Claudia Christian because there was no price advertised beforehand and boom suddenly £40, when a friend had told me that she usually only charged £20 so i was somewhat annoyed after waiting for as long as i did.

i went off on another tangent there.

but anyway back to Sumpter, i think it would be great if they got him, he has had a long career and the Carter issue would be circumvented because he has always had substantial roles, i can imagine most fans would go for Series 9, but i would prefer him on the Older stuff as per one of my rules, and plus anyone on Lost in Time nowadays, yeah thats a priority these days, i'm hoping to have 35 names by the end of the year.

Dalton however would be a Diamond pass guest, trying otherwise would be a fools errand, given that he was a James Bond thats usually a given, plus a photo would be worth it by all accounts, and unlike where i was on the wall with Ernie Hudson with getting a Diamond pass as he had a small role in a single Torchwood Episode and that would barely constitute the photo, Dalton had a big enough one to where i'd say i can justify it without feeling i'd wasted any money.

on that note, do you think they'll ever re-book Hudson or do you think theres too much bad press around him, in that he was announced for what a few years straight and always cancelled for what is presumably work commitments, people would likely be frustrated and the hype would have died down considerably to the point that it wouldn't be worth it, similar to how Tony Todd would now be a bad acquisition as it was twice over he was announced but cancelled both times, once so late he was still on the Train station marketing.

BUT that said with Dalton as i just realised it is this year the 35th anniversary of the summer of 89, what i'd consider to be the absolute greatest summer of blockbuster movies ever released, and "Licence to kill" was apart of that glorious year so now i'm going to background check a lot of movies.

Okay so i have just checked through License to kill and amazingly only 2 names came up out of the cast.

Obviously we have Timothy Dalton who was Rasilion in "The End of time" which we all knew lets skip the unnecessary talking

the second which is a moment of "THEM? they're in this" is actually Christopher Neame who was Skagra in "Shada" or wasn't Skagra in "Shada", depending on how you view it, so yeah he would be an interesting one and would be on two items and i'd have a photo.

but thats all I've drawn up for this one, as this Bond film despite being a British Production was mostly filmed in America and Mexico, only a few names even inspired hope being the British actors and the Asian actors as 1989 was still a time of that being classed a Speciality as opposed to just being an Asian actor, but no just two names.

gonna look at "Back to the future part II" next see what i can drum up.

I think they will get Ernie Hudson again at some point. His career has just had a renaissance what with the new Ghostbusters film and being one of the main leads in the new Quantum Leap. So I think his cancellations were justified.

Tony Todd on the other hand, I dont think will be coming back. After the 1st announcement coming out straight away to say he hadnt agreed to appear. And the last minute cancellation of the rescheduled appearance. I cant see them asking him to appear

11 hours ago, D-C-A said:

BUT that said with Dalton as i just realised it is this year the 35th anniversary of the summer of 89, what i'd consider to be the absolute greatest summer of blockbuster movies ever released, and "Licence to kill" was apart of that glorious year so now i'm going to background check a lot of movies.

The summer of the greatest film ever made. The rest of my top 10 my change. But The Last Crusade will always be my number one 

9 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

The summer of the greatest film ever made. The rest of my top 10 my change. But The Last Crusade will always be my number one 

It was by all accounts just a great year for films, Indiana Jones and the last crusade, Batman, Back to the future part II (with a promise of part III), Lethal Weapon 2, Licence to Kill, the Abyss, Ghostbusters II, Star Trek V, The Karate Kid part III and the list goes on, what a bloody fantastic year

31 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

I think they will get Ernie Hudson again at some point. His career has just had a renaissance what with the new Ghostbusters film and being one of the main leads in the new Quantum Leap. So I think his cancellations were justified.

Tony Todd on the other hand, I dont think will be coming back. After the 1st announcement coming out straight away to say he hadnt agreed to appear. And the last minute cancellation of the rescheduled appearance. I cant see them asking him to appear

I think I’ll agree that Todd has burned the bridges rather well on this one having well and truly messed them about, especially as it had set them up for a false advertising issue given he was one of the headlining faces and was on the advertising outside.

Hudson I would still like to meet and Ghostbusters celebrates its 40th anniversary, and Ghostbusters II it’s 35th so ideally it’s the best time for him.

but anyway back to Sumpter, i think it would be great if they got him, he has had a long career and the Carter issue would be circumvented because he has always had substantial roles, i can imagine most fans would go for Series 9, but i would prefer him on the Older stuff as per one of my rules, and plus anyone on Lost in Time nowadays, yeah thats a priority these days, i'm hoping to have 35 names by the end of the year.

The funny thing, I might have said this before, I though Donald Sumpter was in Oppenheimer. Turns out it was John Giwans, but he was the spitting image of Donald, so it was an easy mistake to make

Okay so i have just checked through License to kill and amazingly only 2 names came up out of the cast.

Obviously we have Timothy Dalton who was Rasilion in "The End of time" which we all knew lets skip the unnecessary talking

the second which is a moment of "THEM? they're in this" is actually Christopher Neame who was Skagra in "Shada" or wasn't Skagra in "Shada", depending on how you view it, so yeah he would be an interesting one and would be on two items and i'd have a photo.

but thats all I've drawn up for this one, as this Bond film despite being a British Production was mostly filmed in America and Mexico, only a few names even inspired hope being the British actors and the Asian actors as 1989 was still a time of that being classed a Speciality as opposed to just being an Asian actor, but no just two names.

gonna look at "Back to the future part II" next see what i can drum up.

Shade is one of those that has to count. It's not like it was a rejected script that has turned up years later, or an idea that was rejected. It made it in front of the camera. It's just unfortunate it wasnt completed. It has now in various different formats I know. 

10 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

I think I’ll agree that Todd has burned the bridges rather well on this one having well and truly messed them about, especially as it had set them up for a false advertising issue given he was one of the headlining faces and was on the advertising outside.

Hudson I would still like to meet and Ghostbusters celebrates its 40th anniversary, and Ghostbusters II it’s 35th so ideally it’s the best time for him.

And a new Ghostbusters out next month as well

5 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

Shade is one of those that has to count. It's not like it was a rejected script that has turned up years later, or an idea that was rejected. It made it in front of the camera. It's just unfortunate it wasnt completed. It has now in various different formats I know. 

it is definitely a story that is worth getting signed, plus he's on every version sans the big finish version i believe, so i could get him on the 92" edit DVD and the Steelbook which would be great, and given hes the big bad in a story which never got finished, that would be photo worthy in my opinion

Okay so i spent a long time last night scrolling through and cross checking these names, but i was having no luck with films, even Star Trek V yielded only two results both dead.

so i decided to check Blackadder as the 4th series turns 35 this year and heres what i have.

• The obvious in Rowan Atkinson was a Doctor in "Curse of the Fatal Death" which i'm surprised hasn't seen a re-release on DVD or Blu Ray, even if it is free on YouTube, a novelty release for Charity would see to Who fans.
  • Tony Robinson was only mentioned in a novel.
  • Stephen Fry was obviously C in "Spyfall" Part 1, and was also Minister of chance in the BBC audio/Webcast "Death comes to Time" so he has two credits to his name.
  • Tim Mcinnerny following the failure of his green business decided to start selling Ood as Mr Haplin in "Planet of the Ood" which would be a great name to duo with Adrian Rawlins who we had last year.
  • Helan Atkinson-Wood was in an Audio "ID" for Big Finish, not heard it can't comment.
  • Gabrielle Glaisters was in an audio for the early adventures entitled "The Foresaken", not hear it can't comment.
  • now the regulars are out of the way lets get into the rest, we have obviously William Russell who we're never going to see at another event.
  • then we have the man who is legless, even if he hasn't touched a drop, Tom Baker, need i say more.

now as you'll see i barely bothered checking who they played in Blackadder nor the series they were in as i was just cross referencing for Doctor who Credits so do bare in mind here.

• Martin Clare was in "Masque of Mandragora" as a Masquer
  • Dennis Lill had two substantially bigger roles, the first as Dr Fendelman in "Image of the Fendhal" and then as Sir George Hutchinson in "The Awakening"
  • now we have three from "Warriors gate" so i'll list them all together with Jeremy Gittens who was Lazlo, along with Mark Arden and Stephen Frost who were both Thrails and the former i've already met and have on the DVD so he would be on the boxset next, but the middle man i really want to meet as he was also Vaseline in "Londons Burning".
  • Lee Cornes who i think also appeared in all 4 series of Blackadder, was in "Kinda" as the Jester, he's already appeared at a LFCC but i don't think he's a one and done, as he has a ton of classic credits to his name.
  • John Savident was a Squire in "The Visitation"
  • Russell Brook is one who has peaked my interest as occasional player in the 1980's with credits such as Schoolboy in "Mawdryn Undead", a man at arms in "The Kings Demons", a seabase crew member in "Warriors of the Deep", an attendant in "Revelation of the Daleks", then a trio of roles in "Time and the Rani" as a Genius, a Laketyan and a Tetrap before finally appearing as a Chimeron in "Delta and the Bannermen" so that last one would be my go to story for signing, mainly down to how many i already have.
  • Forbes Collins was in "Vengeance on Varos" as a Chief Officer.
  • a small actor that no one would know called BRIAN BLESSED was in "Mindwarp" as King Yacarnos.
  • David Fieldsend was curiously listed for only two episodes of "Terror of the Vervoids" as a timelord but i think it stands to reason he did the whole story in what i presume would have been a block booking, but that will require more digging on my part.
  • Richard Mitchley was in "Delta and the Bannerman" as Arrex so another who would draw my attention for that alone.
  • Ron Cook was in the famously controversial episode "The Idiots Lantern" as Mr Magpie, a name that kept cropping up in animations for a while.
  • Perry Benson was an ice cream man in Matt Smith's debut episode "The Eleventh Hour".
  • Peter Barthurst was in "Survivors of the Flux" from Series 13 as Farquhar so a recent series.
  • and even more recent we have Miriam Margoyles who i think would be a great land given her appearance is extremely recent and who else they have, and she was of course Meep the Beep in "The Star Beast".
  • next is Jim Broadbent who was also a Doctor in "The Curse of the Fatal Death" someone who i can see appearing due to appearances in both "Only Fools and Horses" and Hot Fuzz, but will annoy me as "The Curse of the Fatal Death" hasn't seen a physical release.
  • Holly De Jong has appeared in a very early audio "Project: Twilight" and that is actually a fantastic story, so if you haven't already i'd recommend listening to it.
  • Paul Brooke was Toby the Sapient Pig in "Year of the pig" for Big finish, not heard it so i cannot comment.
  • Philip Fox was in "Entanglement" for Big finish's The Early Adventures Range as Professor Charles Lewis, another one I've not listened to.
  • Philip Pope, was in "The Foe from the Future" as Farther Harpin, a story i have been meaning to get and listen to for a long while now.
  • and finally we have Nigel Planer who was Alex Marlowe in the 8th Doctor adventure "Hothouse" and then as Herrix and the Old Racnoss Emperor in "Empire of Racnoss" from the 2nd volume of "Classic Doctors, New Monsters" and needless to say i think very little of that set.

okay thats finally typed out and researching these names had me up until 4 in the morning, i watched nearly the entirety of "Blackadder the Third" to get that listed for you all, better be happy, please i don't wish to have wasted my evening.

there are a load more names such as Elspet Gray, but she's passed away so i didn't bother checking.

also going back to Roland Lacey in another role i didn't realise was him, he was the baby eating bishop of bath and wales in the second series of Blackadder, again such a departure from his role in "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

• Like 1

Great list by the way

Russell Brooke also played one of the Nazis carrying the ark towards the end of Raiders of the lost ark. Along with his brother Darrell. Both were Tetraps, and also in Star Wars.

Lee Cornes was at last weekends Film Fair, so is open to doing conventions.

19 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

Great list by the way

Russell Brooke also played one of the Nazis carrying the ark towards the end of Raiders of the lost ark. Along with his brother Darrell. Both were Tetraps, and also in Star Wars.

Lee Cornes was at last weekends Film Fair, so is open to doing conventions.

Thats a good thing to note for anyone who wasn't so fortunate to get tickets for LFCC 2021, he is genuinely a lovely guy

I wanna say at this point we've had our fill of guests for Spring and as i've stated i will update guests for July when the con is done, and that means the sunday, i as always intend to keep updating the forum each day as i consider it important to keep everyone up to date so it is best everyone keeps checking this during the day to see for any cancellations, which surprisingly there have been none so far.

Tim Mcinnerny has done LFCC before, I'm not sure if it's his only convention, but gives hope he'll do another

Helen Atkinson-Wood as also at last weeks Film Fair, so shows she's up for doing shows, maybe small ones, but still it's a show.

Denis Lil, I'm sure has done shows in the past, he'd also cover Only fools and Red dwarf. If you get Michael Jayston, you can have Cassandra and Raquel's dads from Only Fools. And for a long shot, Jim Broadbent for Raquel's ex husband.

If you want to make it a family affair, Wanda Ventham as Cassandra's mum was also in The Faceless ones, Image of the Fendahl and Time and the Rani. And would also cover a number of other franchises

20 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

Tim Mcinnerny has done LFCC before, I'm not sure if it's his only convention, but gives hope he'll do another

Helen Atkinson-Wood as also at last weeks Film Fair, so shows she's up for doing shows, maybe small ones, but still it's a show.

Denis Lil, I'm sure has done shows in the past, he'd also cover Only fools and Red dwarf. If you get Michael Jayston, you can have Cassandra and Raquel's dads from Only Fools. And for a long shot, Jim Broadbent for Raquel's ex husband.

If you want to make it a family affair, Wanda Ventham as Cassandra's mum was also in The Faceless ones, Image of the Fendahl and Time and the Rani. And would also cover a number of other franchises

I've been under the assumption for 3 years that Ventham has been deceased for some time and no one has told me, and yes she would be a fantastic guest to have

BUT

i fear she would be someone people would hound in a way over the fact shes the fact of Benedict cumberbatch, or would constantly ask and question if they've got her why not have him as well, similar to how i've seen comments on the post for Michelle Greenidge asking for Ncuti and Millie, now ive no issue with asking for guests, we do it here a lot, but the comments are very much in the vain of ignoring who has been announced and just demanding the bigger names, and thats what i can see happening.

and i want Ventham because she is great in "The Faceless ones" and its an all time classic which i desperately want on on both the DVD, the Steelbook and then Lost in Time, she would be a fantastic land of a guest by all means.

Mcinnery is one who i've been wanting for some time and given my love for "Blackadder: Goes Fourth" i would get a photo with him, as i would all of the Goes fourth cast, its a shame that Geoffrey Palmer is gone as he covered 3 Doctor who stories, "And the Silurians", "The Mutants" and "Voyage of the Dammed", but now if only Tony Robinson appeared in Doctor who you'd have a full set of Connections, even if i wouldn't be able to see past Baldrick and assume any idea the character to have to be a cunning plan.

Going back to why i think we're done with guest announcements is probably space wise, as really with only one floor of the hall open that doesn't exactly toll well for the amount we can have, as i'd think more guests would likely over crowd everything, and with the big hitter of Billie Piper things may become clustered, also she's the only one who is on a Diamond pass, i've just checked the prices and she's the only one? funny they usually try and get more people that are worthy of such, weird.

that said if they did get another big name... yeah they would by all accounts be squeezing them in space wise as i doubt there would be much space left for them, maybe a small guest or two, but a big one? can't see it happening.

2 hours ago, D-C-A said:

Going back to why i think we're done with guest announcements is probably space wise, as really with only one floor of the hall open that doesn't exactly toll well for the amount we can have, as i'd think more guests would likely over crowd everything, and with the big hitter of Billie Piper things may become clustered, also she's the only one who is on a Diamond pass, i've just checked the prices and she's the only one? funny they usually try and get more people that are worthy of such, weird.

that said if they did get another big name... yeah they would by all accounts be squeezing them in space wise as i doubt there would be much space left for them, maybe a small guest or two, but a big one? can't see it happening.

its a good batch of guests

2 hours ago, D-C-A said:

I've been under the assumption for 3 years that Ventham has been deceased for some time and no one has told me, and yes she would be a fantastic guest to have

BUT

i fear she would be someone people would hound in a way over the fact shes the fact of Benedict cumberbatch, or would constantly ask and question if they've got her why not have him as well, similar to how i've seen comments on the post for Michelle Greenidge asking for Ncuti and Millie, now ive no issue with asking for guests, we do it here a lot, but the comments are very much in the vain of ignoring who has been announced and just demanding the bigger names, and thats what i can see happening.

and i want Ventham because she is great in "The Faceless ones" and its an all time classic which i desperately want on on both the DVD, the Steelbook and then Lost in Time, she would be a fantastic land of a guest by all means.

Mcinnery is one who i've been wanting for some time and given my love for "Blackadder: Goes Fourth" i would get a photo with him, as i would all of the Goes fourth cast, its a shame that Geoffrey Palmer is gone as he covered 3 Doctor who stories, "And the Silurians", "The Mutants" and "Voyage of the Dammed", but now if only Tony Robinson appeared in Doctor who you'd have a full set of Connections, even if i wouldn't be able to see past Baldrick and assume any idea the character to have to be a cunning plan.

I gather Wanda is just happily retired in Brighton. And fair play to her.

I deliberately avoided the Benedict connection, as I'd be wanting to discuss her work, and not her sons. Her husband on the other hand has done False Gods for Big Finish 

Although Benedict did audition for the 11th Doctor, and Matt Smith auditioned for Sherlock. What a sliding door moment that could have been. Steve Moffett definatly got the casting the right way round.

I pre-ordered a Tim Mcinnery autograph when he went to LFCC in 2018, same as Miranda Richardson and Tony Robinson, all Blackadder photos, purely as with everyone else I had planned to meet in 2018 I just felt that I wouldnt be able to find the time for everyone. And I still wanted their autographs. This was the year, of Eccleston, Smith and Capaldi. 

Saying that, a little research, he was also at LFCC in 2015 as well so he is due a return 

2 hours ago, D-C-A said:

For Billie, they will create an enclosed space, so that they can funnel the people who have paid for diamond passes, and not create a bottle neck, much like they did for Jodie and Richard E Grant a few years ago.

But I agree baring a guest they absolutely cant turn down, from whatever show, then I think the guest list is as settled as it's going to get 

20 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

Well guess what I’ve gotta do when I get home from work now

15 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

Well guess what I’ve gotta do when I get home from work now

I was not expecting to lose Michael Jayston today, especially after Ian Lavender earlier as well. Sad times indeed

3 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

I was not expecting to lose Michael Jayston today, especially after Ian Lavender earlier as well. Sad times indeed

Literally i am depressed as Lavender feels like with his death it feels like more and more of my Granddad is gone.