Doctor who guests (LFCC 2023)

D-C-A

19 hours ago, D-C-A said:

as for others Janet Fielding has moved back up the need list again putting her at a solid number 5 behind Nicola Bryant, O'Brien, Purves and Molloy as they announced Mark Strikson for elsewhere and now that small event is mental in who they have, 4 people from the first story, 3 companions and a guest from one of my Favourite stories, i'm getting spoiled.

Even before Mark Strickson was announced, it was a strong line up, and shows that actors from the early years of the show can be unearthed and are able to do signings. I'm not saying a big show like the summer LFCC, but maybe a film fair or the winter and spring shows, where it would be less hectic

11 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

We do have a guest announcement this after noon for Doctor Who, the Assistant Director for the Dalek films. Anthony Waye

sorry for the delay worked a hell of a day yesterday, now as no one has mentioned it prior lets get on with the two guests that have been announced that have Doctor who credits shall we.

firstly we have what is a massive shock the first time i've seen a non actor be announced as a main guest, taking the form of Anthony Waye who was an Assistant Director on both Dalek Movies from the 1960's "Dr. Who and the Daleks" & "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" it is again curious that he's been announced as i never expected a non actor at this convention as the past 5 years i don't think there has been one.

AnthonyWayeWeb.png

he is attending on the Sunday and is £15.

next we have someone who cancelled last year but is back this year Ann Firbank, who with an obscure credit as she is in a Spin off big finish audio "Graceless 4" part 1 "The Bomb" where she played the elder Abby it is her sole credit and strangely a boxset so far removed i had to check if it was even a Spin off as its one of a few that doesn't even feature a Worlds of Doctor who logo.

AnnFirbankWeb.png

she is attending on the saturday and is £20

now two things for Miss Ann i'm starved for choice but i do own the required CD boxset, as for Mr Waye, given his low cost i am getting both Steelbooks signed by him, and seeing how the funds turn out he is currently a contender for the random photo, as i don't think i have a director photo yet.

second thing whilst she has no Who credit i would like to mention a piece of Doctor who history that an actress has a surprising connection as Amanda Barrie was in Carry on Cleo with Francis De Wolfe who was in "The Myth Makers" wearing the same outfit from the carry on film, thats it, thats all i've got.

even when not planned we're still getting some credits and im at 12 names and happy with the addition of a strikingly early one of Anthony waye as even the Dalek Movies count with a 1965 credit, of course hoping for more to appear, maybe even some people from the movies as Jennie Linden who was Barbara in the movie has a Big Finish Credit

8 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

Even before Mark Strickson was announced, it was a strong line up, and shows that actors from the early years of the show can be unearthed and are able to do signings. I'm not saying a big show like the summer LFCC, but maybe a film fair or the winter and spring shows, where it would be less hectic

I only saw yesterday morning that Jemma Redgrave has been announced for the one i'm going to this weekend, sadly the funds are bad so i can't book a photo but i'm still getting her on my Series 7, the value of that thing has to be significant given heres the list of names:

·      Matt Smith – The Eleventh Doctor

·      Karen Gillian – Amy Pond

·      Arthur Darvill – Rory Williams

·      Alex Kingston – River Song

·      Jenna Coleman – Clara Oswald

·      Dan Starkey – Strax

·      Paul Bazely –Ven-Garr – “The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe”

·      Ben Browder – Issac – “A Town called Mercy”

·      Garrick Hagon – Abraham – “A Town called Mercy”

·      Clem So – Chinese Pottery Painter – “Angels Take Manhattan”

·      Ashley Walters – Gregor Van Baalan - “Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS”

·      Michael Jenn – Clearance DeMarco – “The Name of the Doctor”

so add Jemma Redgrave and Caitlin Blackwood later this year, i am doing well for myself, like that surely has to be a valuable item.

12 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

And the same again tonight, people feel the need to say who are they.

Now we have every right to be disappointed when they announce guests, and I have on numerous occasions. I've never felt the need to comment on the posts. I just shrug my shoulders and think that it saves more of my budget for other people.

The problem with the Michael J Fox requests, was the very ambiguous guest hints they gave last year, where it was heavily implied it was a massive guest from Back to the Future. So Whilst it was completely unrealistic, in this case I can see why people jumped to this conclusion 

I've rarely been disappointed as I've always had a large number of names to placate me and i've only been annoyed at last minute cancellations but thats just if i've had to go out and buy a CD and listen to it when ive had little time and money, and of course every time i've tried getting "Torchwood: Miracle Day" signed.

but the only time ive been disappointed was the ambiguous guest announcement as the hints didn't mean anything beyond quoting the classic movies which had us all trying to guess the connection but half of the hints didn't mean anything, but i never guessed Fox given how aware i've been of his medical issues.

however i have been critical of some choices made, specifically the delay in the announcement that Tony Todd had cancelled to where he was still on advertising outside the venue, the bashing of Karen Gillian into a single day and still selling Photos and Diamond passes along with handing out VQs, oh and the lack of space to deal with Joseph quinn's popularity.

as it sits looking at what Doctor who guests they've got thus far i'm left with two thoughts, one why is their no duo photo between Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy and who would be good to go with who they've got.

Nicola Bryant is always the one i'm going to say as the obvious one, and We've said Yasmin Finney would be great for the Noble Family but i just can't see it happening, maybe its my leftist opinions but i think that whilst the complaints have been few and an overall insignificant number in he grand scheme it might be considered a danger for her to make such a public appearance whilst the heat is still somewhat fresh, i hope that makes sense.

but mainly some more guest actors from the classic series as we're few on them at the minute, a few from the modern series but none from the classic series beyond Julian Glover who has been making more and more frequent appearances.

11 hours ago, D-C-A said:

I only saw yesterday morning that Jemma Redgrave has been announced for the one i'm going to this weekend, sadly the funds are bad so i can't book a photo but i'm still getting her on my Series 7, the value of that thing has to be significant given heres the list of names:

·      Matt Smith – The Eleventh Doctor

·      Karen Gillian – Amy Pond

·      Arthur Darvill – Rory Williams

·      Alex Kingston – River Song

·      Jenna Coleman – Clara Oswald

·      Dan Starkey – Strax

·      Paul Bazely –Ven-Garr – “The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe”

·      Ben Browder – Issac – “A Town called Mercy”

·      Garrick Hagon – Abraham – “A Town called Mercy”

·      Clem So – Chinese Pottery Painter – “Angels Take Manhattan”

·      Ashley Walters – Gregor Van Baalan - “Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS”

·      Michael Jenn – Clearance DeMarco – “The Name of the Doctor”

so add Jemma Redgrave and Caitlin Blackwood later this year, i am doing well for myself, like that surely has to be a valuable item.

Not a bad collection, all the main cast, and some big guest stars.

I've only Arthur Darvill, Alex Kingston, Catrin Stewart, Dan Starkey and Jenna Coleman on my season 7 so far

11 hours ago, D-C-A said:

I've rarely been disappointed as I've always had a large number of names to placate me and i've only been annoyed at last minute cancellations but thats just if i've had to go out and buy a CD and listen to it when ive had little time and money, and of course every time i've tried getting "Torchwood: Miracle Day" signed.

but the only time ive been disappointed was the ambiguous guest announcement as the hints didn't mean anything beyond quoting the classic movies which had us all trying to guess the connection but half of the hints didn't mean anything, but i never guessed Fox given how aware i've been of his medical issues.

however i have been critical of some choices made, specifically the delay in the announcement that Tony Todd had cancelled to where he was still on advertising outside the venue, the bashing of Karen Gillian into a single day and still selling Photos and Diamond passes along with handing out VQs, oh and the lack of space to deal with Joseph quinn's popularity.

I never expected Michael J Fox to be announced. But at best you could say it was mischievous marketing and you can see why people leapt to this conclusion.

Tony Todd and Karen Gillan were just handled badly. As soon as it was known that she was only doing one day, they should have stopped selling diamond passes.

I think everyone was caught out by Joseph Quinns popularity, the number of diamonds and photos sold should have given them a heads up though. but even then they were caught out by the queues. But why there was minimal queue management is another question?

10 hours ago, D-C-A said:

as it sits looking at what Doctor who guests they've got thus far i'm left with two thoughts, one why is their no duo photo between Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy and who would be good to go with who they've got.

Nicola Bryant is always the one i'm going to say as the obvious one, and We've said Yasmin Finney would be great for the Noble Family but i just can't see it happening, maybe its my leftist opinions but i think that whilst the complaints have been few and an overall insignificant number in he grand scheme it might be considered a danger for her to make such a public appearance whilst the heat is still somewhat fresh, i hope that makes sense.

but mainly some more guest actors from the classic series as we're few on them at the minute, a few from the modern series but none from the classic series beyond Julian Glover who has been making more and more frequent appearances.

I cant remember ever seeing a double photoshoot with just Colin and Sylvester, multi Doctor shoots yes, but never a double. unless I'm mistaken.

As much as it would be nice, I reckon Yasmin would be a summer guest if they did get her

2 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

I cant remember ever seeing a double photoshoot with just Colin and Sylvester, multi Doctor shoots yes, but never a double. unless I'm mistaken.

As much as it would be nice, I reckon Yasmin would be a summer guest if they did get her

And I will also say, that she would get a great reception should she appear, the only negative noise would come from outside the fanbase and attendees

16 hours ago, D-C-A said:

By disappointed I mean, when they announce 5 guests and none are ones that you'd get autographs from or photos, it's a case of ah well, there's always next time.  So maybe disappointed is a little strong. They have announced guests where I've gone wow, how did they pull them out of the bag, even if they held no interest for me

9 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

Not a bad collection, all the main cast, and some big guest stars.

I've only Arthur Darvill, Alex Kingston, Catrin Stewart, Dan Starkey and Jenna Coleman on my season 7 so far

Yeah plus a director of a minisode has been announced elsewhere so He’s a maybe mainly because he has done actual episodes elsewhere so it’s a very much maybe, so the number shall be great, I’ve got it with me as I sit in a hotel, going to be keeping an eye on that like nobodies business.

so by March it should be 13-14 names a very tidy piece of work if I do say so myself, would like Vastra and Jenny’s actresses tho, sort of round things out.

that said it’s a shame Dame Dianna rigg has passed she would have been a hell of a name to have attached, but theirs still Richard E.Grant who given Loki’s popularity still puts him in good standing, although I’d more than likely get him on “the Scream of Shalka” First.

if anything recent years have allowed more than just actors as I’m getting Writers, Director’s, Producers, Designers, Production Assistants etc it’s a nice change around even if when I say “oh my pirate planet is signed by Michael Owen Morris the Production Assistant” and someone looks at me and tells me I’ve ruined it, no I haven’t he chose some great locations.

3 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

By disappointed I mean, when they announce 5 guests and none are ones that you'd get autographs from or photos, it's a case of ah well, there's always next time.  So maybe disappointed is a little strong. They have announced guests where I've gone wow, how did they pull them out of the bag, even if they held no interest for me

Personally I just get on with it, I always get at least one new who guest that I’ve never met before, and on occasion one from a favourite story, I play up my annoyance when they’re announced for a location I can’t attend such as Glasgow but that’s the way of the world.

really the only time I’d get annoyed is I’d paid a good amount of money on a diamond pass paid it off over 3 months worked god knows how many shifts to pay it off (for example Karen Gillian was the equivalent of 24 hours of work, (my pay is actually really decent and someone always chucks shifts my way) which was both scoffed at by one manager and commended for dedication by another) and then the day comes and they’ve just not shown up, Showmasters are scrambling because they’re clueless as to what’s happening, no word of warning nothing.

makes me wonder how disappointed people would have been with the sons of anarchy guest a few years back, he just didn’t turn up and went elsewhere, the chatter was that he wasn’t well received there either, if anyone from Showmasters is reading this, could you clarify for us.

By all means get Yasmin I would love to meet her, what I’m saying is by no accounts me saying don't, I’m personally trying to be rational about her safety in what can be considered a dangerous world, and I had a second hand account of how bad people can be yesterday as I was in a off licence with a lovely gentleman from India serving me and someone behind me was just doing a racist accent, and the poor man just sucked it up.

it’s the ridiculous concept of how some “fans” can accept a fictional alien race and civilisation in a TV show but as soon as a trans actress is cast, suddenly they’re up in arms.

I never expected Michael J Fox to be announced. But at best you could say it was mischievous marketing and you can see why people leapt to this conclusion.

Tony Todd and Karen Gillan were just handled badly. As soon as it was known that she was only doing one day, they should have stopped selling diamond passes.

I think everyone was caught out by Joseph Quinns popularity, the number of diamonds and photos sold should have given them a heads up though. but even then they were caught out by the queues. But why there was minimal queue management is another question?

Honestly I just think the Gillian Debacle should be memorised and remembered for what it as a fun experience over shadowed by one of the most baffling and ridiculous practices possible.

the moment that it was said only one day there should have been a moment of them announcing Diamond passes and photos will be withdrawn from sale within an hour for any last chance, as the slots are now extremely limited, and VQs should NOT have been an option on the day, it was going to disappoint more people than please, and I do hope no one was so ignorant of surroundings that they stood outside of her area for an entire day in the hope of meeting her without one (especially without success), I did hear that they apparently made it it VQs but only about 20 people, I can’t confirm so it’s pure conjecture, but it says a lot.

with the VQs I got in early and picked up one for Brian Blessed for a friend so she was able to queue early enough when she did arrive.

as for Quinn that is another precedent that needs to be remembered for underestimating everything, crowd control was non existent and the rudeness of those trying to meet him was fuel to the fire, a situation that was bound to go wrong as a result, it is amazing that I managed every guest that particular show, getting through the crowd was horrendous, people let delusion overcome their rationale in that moment, I do feel a little sad for other guests who would want to be meeting their fans and suddenly there’s this massive crowd for one person blocking off access.

I similarly felt bad for Brian Bovell last July as he was sat next to Adrian Rawlins, and the letters queue to me suggested poor placement and an underestimation of his popularity, their was maybe 4 people for Brian and a massive crowd for Adrian.

6 hours ago, D-C-A said:

makes me wonder how disappointed people would have been with the sons of anarchy guest a few years back, he just didn’t turn up and went elsewhere, the chatter was that he wasn’t well received there either, if anyone from Showmasters is reading this, could you clarify for us.

I was at the other show, and I was actually disappointed that he'd turned up at the other show, as I had seen the chatter the night before when he was announced, allegedly stemming from being told he couldnt change his price. I never saw a large queue for him. The other show should have refused to accept him as a guest

6 hours ago, D-C-A said:

Yeah plus a director of a minisode has been announced elsewhere so He’s a maybe mainly because he has done actual episodes elsewhere so it’s a very much maybe, so the number shall be great, I’ve got it with me as I sit in a hotel, going to be keeping an eye on that like nobodies business.

so by March it should be 13-14 names a very tidy piece of work if I do say so myself, would like Vastra and Jenny’s actresses tho, sort of round things out.

that said it’s a shame Dame Dianna rigg has passed she would have been a hell of a name to have attached, but theirs still Richard E.Grant who given Loki’s popularity still puts him in good standing, although I’d more than likely get him on “the Scream of Shalka” First.

if anything recent years have allowed more than just actors as I’m getting Writers, Director’s, Producers, Designers, Production Assistants etc it’s a nice change around even if when I say “oh my pirate planet is signed by Michael Owen Morris the Production Assistant” and someone looks at me and tells me I’ve ruined it, no I haven’t he chose some great locations.

It's nice that they can get the recognition they deserve by doing these shows.

It was a toss of the coin for me on what I got Richard E Grant, as I had the Diamond pass, and enough budget for one other item, A Withnail and I print was a definate, and will get Paul McGann on it when I get the chance. I should perhaps have gone the steelbock rather than my 500 year diary, as he is on the cover

On 1/13/2024 at 4:49 AM, D-C-A said:

as for Quinn that is another precedent that needs to be remembered for underestimating everything, crowd control was non existent and the rudeness of those trying to meet him was fuel to the fire, a situation that was bound to go wrong as a result, it is amazing that I managed every guest that particular show, getting through the crowd was horrendous, people let delusion overcome their rationale in that moment, I do feel a little sad for other guests who would want to be meeting their fans and suddenly there’s this massive crowd for one person blocking off access.

I similarly felt bad for Brian Bovell last July as he was sat next to Adrian Rawlins, and the letters queue to me suggested poor placement and an underestimation of his popularity, their was maybe 4 people for Brian and a massive crowd for Adrian.

The aftermath of Joseph Quinn was just plain crazy as well, where people who had no idea of what goes on at these events, were crying foul that their 'meet and greets' that they paid for were a conveyor belt of hi, photo and bye. They were under the impression that this would give them minutes to chat to him. Madness, and even when it was pointed out to them this is not what they were getting, were adamant they were in the right

The thing is, I can understand why Brian was positioned next to Adrian, they would have been hoping that Andor fans would be after them both, but that didnt take into account, Adrian, had done Doctor Who, Harry Potter and more, so would have drawn those fans in as well. 

Edited by Mfahey79

7 hours ago, D-C-A said:

By all means get Yasmin I would love to meet her, what I’m saying is by no accounts me saying don't, I’m personally trying to be rational about her safety in what can be considered a dangerous world, and I had a second hand account of how bad people can be yesterday as I was in a off licence with a lovely gentleman from India serving me and someone behind me was just doing a racist accent, and the poor man just sucked it up.

it’s the ridiculous concept of how some “fans” can accept a fictional alien race and civilisation in a TV show but as soon as a trans actress is cast, suddenly they’re up in arms.

Unfortunately the minority seem to have the loudest voices and have been encouraged by certain politicians and media over the last few years

On 1/11/2024 at 7:26 PM, Mfahey79 said:

We have been spoiled the last few years with them getting the main cast, and guest stars from the last few series.  

Whilst Jo Martin has done a few of the regional shows, they've not brought her to London yet.

But I reckon for Spring we'll be getting a Noble family re-union, just not Yasmin.

maybe they could be announced on Sunday