First timer

Hey. This will be the first time myself and my fiance have attended any sort of con before and I'm wondering if there is anything we should know :)

We've already preordered some photos we'd like done and in the process of finishing out costumes but is there a "you'll be so excited you'll max out your credit card if you don't leave it at home" type thing or anything we really need to make sure we see/buy/do?

We're both pretty excited but we can both be a bit shy so the nerves are kicking in a bit too!

• Like 2

this will be my third year attending. First year I was quite nervous about what to expect and didn't really talk to anybody. Last year was the total opposite. Met loads of very cool people and got loads of pictures with some of the amazing cosplayers that were there.

I really wouldn't be nervous or shy as its a very friendly atmosphere. Look forward to seeing the Ghostbusters outfit. I'll say hi if I see you :)

• Like 1

Definitely have a limit and a budget to how much you want to get/spend, I recommend taking cash and try not to use a card.

Have an idea which guests you most want to see, this will help keep you focused on the day.

Know what times the photo-shoots are, and get to know the layout of the arena so you don't panic last minute.

Go to the guest talks they are all completely free and get announced just as each one starts.

Hang around to the end and you can watch the cosplay competition/ masquerade

Most importantly, have fun!

Edited by Brian Cairns
  • Like 2

Fortunately the Glasgow con isn't as busy as the London one for example, so you don't need to plan that much.

• I'd recommend buying the Early Entry tickets though. Getting in two hours early to explore and figure out where everything is will really help you out.
  • If there's a talk you want to attend, get in the queue early. They tend to fill up pretty fast.
  • Bring something to carry your photos and autographs in.
  • Bring a good camera!

Thanks for all the advice :) the only one we can't follow is getting early entry tickets lol the tickets we have we're bought as a gift but well get there early early enough to park etc and be at the door to queue early etc. we're hopefully gonna get a rucksack on under my noface costume so we'll be able to carry things in that :)

I have one question though, if we purchase an autograph it comes with a picture, can we also get an item signed or is it just 1 ie picture OR item?

Good Advice here already! This will be my second Glasgow con, so here are my pointers:

• As already said, the early entry tickets are probably the better option. They're slightly more expensive but it's worth it to get in before the masses and get a chance to explore the venue - familiarise yourself with the layout before everyone comes flooding in!
  • There are LOTS of stalls selling LOTS of really cool stuff! I had to restrain myself from buying everything I wanted. Budgeting is a really good idea at an event like this, so I would recommend it.
  • Don't freak out when you meet the guests! I did this with Ian Hanmore last year and it was really embarrassing, I went up and apologised later. Just remember that they're people too and are just here to meet their fans. It's a good idea to have some questions ready so there aren't any awkward silences.
  • Bring a bag to carry your photos and autographs, as well as a few bottles of water and a snack. This really comes in handy if you plan on staying for a few hours.

Hi guys, also a first timer, and will be bringing my 6 year old. Have purchased early entry tickets, and staying locally. Bought photo shoot with David prowse, and photo shoot schedule has just a 10 minute block, how does that work?! Also, do I need another ticket once I'm there, for queuing for the foto? Me and Roman looking forward to meeting darth vader tho! Thanks for everyone's help too, glad I found this thread!

Hi guys, also a first timer, and will be bringing my 6 year old. Have purchased early entry tickets, and staying locally. Bought photo shoot with David prowse, and photo shoot schedule has just a 10 minute block, how does that work?! Also, do I need another ticket once I'm there, for queuing for the foto? Me and Roman looking forward to meeting darth vader tho! Thanks for everyone's help too, glad I found this thread!

You don't need any more tickets for the photo if you have already purchased a photoshoot ticket.

The photoshoots are done really quickly - literally just a few seconds per person, so ten minutes should be enough time to get through everyone who has bought a ticket. If not he might be put on for a later session.

Many thanks indeed dude, just wasn't sure of the format. As billy dee Williams has cancelled, I may well buy another foto with David prowse, in order to get myself and Rowan in. I'm sure if I buy one on the day, that will do fine. If I want one signed, am I best to source a ticket for queuing early on, as I've an early entry ticket? (Honestly, I'm thicker than granny's gravy)

I've done conventions and events for more years than is healthy and my advice is - stick to a budget, bring water, keep your wallet/purse/valuables secure (sorry, but stuff like cameras and goodies have gone walkabout before) and, most importantly, talk to people! Make new friends! I can say with authority that all my friends I have I met at these events and my life has been enriched by that!

• Like 3

Many thanks indeed dude, just wasn't sure of the format. As billy dee Williams has cancelled, I may well buy another foto with David prowse, in order to get myself and Rowan in. I'm sure if I buy one on the day, that will do fine. If I want one signed, am I best to source a ticket for queuing early on, as I've an early entry ticket? (Honestly, I'm thicker than granny's gravy)

Pretty sure that the autograph tickets are paid/purchased for at the desk of the said person you are getting an autograph for. If I remember from last year, I got to the said guest's desk, handed the money and chose a photo and they signed it for me. :smile:

• Like 1

I've done conventions and events for more years than is healthy and my advice is - stick to a budget, bring water, keep your wallet/purse/valuables secure (sorry, but stuff like cameras and goodies have gone walkabout before) and, most importantly, talk to people! Make new friends! I can say with authority that all my friends I have I met at these events and my life has been enriched by that!

Wish I could say I have met friends through this event, but I haven't. I've asked people plenty of times if I could have my photo with them and that's all that happened. A conversation never even started. Maybe I look threatening or something! LOL

Wish I could say I have met friends through this event, but I haven't. I've asked people plenty of times if I could have my photo with them and that's all that happened. A conversation never even started. Maybe I look threatening or something! LOL

I'll be sure to say hi to you then! I'll be there on the Saturday with my eldest - his first convention, bless!

• Like 1

I'll be sure to say hi to you then! I'll be there on the Saturday with my eldest - his first convention, bless!

Awesome! He's gonna love it, it's a fantastic atmosphere there as you are probably more than aware! Well you hopefully won't miss me - very large lady running folks down on a mobility scooter (actually hope I don't run anybody down) and dressed as an EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA LARGE Princess Leia! :P

• Like 2

Again, you guys are the best. I will also work on thinking of something less stupid than 'what was it like being darth vader' to david.

Have you considered asking about another piece of work he's done or maybe some charity work etc? Bit of variety and all that!

Edited by X-Man
  • Like 1

Just to add onto the tips, once you have paid to get in you should get a stamp on your hand/arm you can now go in and out the event area without standing in lines (just skip past to the front and show your stamp)

Edited by Brian Cairns
  • Like 1

This might be a dumb question but because it's my first con, and I don't want to miss out due to my cluelessness, I just want to double check: do autograph signings take place during/around the same time as the photoshoots that are scheduled? If not, how do I find out when to start queuing for autographs or whether the actor might have a limited time slot for this?

This might be a dumb question but because it's my first con, and I don't want to miss out due to my cluelessness, I just want to double check: do autograph signings take place during/around the same time as the photoshoots that are scheduled? If not, how do I find out when to start queuing for autographs or whether the actor might have a limited time slot for this?

Obviously if the guest us doing a photo shoot then they can't be doing autos but I suspect there's virtual queuing in operation. Should be something in the FAQ.

Yeah, I've got 'how's Bristol rugby club coming along this season' and 'thanks for saving the lives of me and my school friends green cross code man'. One other tiny question guys, can I nip out for a while? I can get in from 9, david not doing fotos till 12ish, was just in case wee rowan needs a breather from the fantastic goings on.

Yeah, I've got 'how's Bristol rugby club coming along this season' and 'thanks for saving the lives of me and my school friends green cross code man'. One other tiny question guys, can I nip out for a while? I can get in from 9, david not doing fotos till 12ish, was just in case wee rowan needs a breather from the fantastic goings on.

You should get hand stamped when you get in - flash the ink when you want back in and jump the queue!