Singles event

I thought I'd post up an idea for something to add to the Con weekend if there would be time and demand for it; a singles night of some sort.

In the interests of fair credit this wasn't my idea, it was my friend's, but I have also seen it done at one of those notorious "other events" (in the States) a couple of years ago. They did it as geek speed dating if memory serves.

I'm thinking after the con shuts down for the Saturday you could rearrange the main stage area and put something on, either yourselves or get match.com to put on one of their nights at the venue, with a geek theme, that con patrons get free/discounted entry to.

Would be interesting to know if there would be demand for it, and what SM's thoughts are...

I suggested something like this last year (I think). DSTL did have something but it was badly organised, in my opinion. I didn't go to the speed dating as I was getting photo shoots instead but I'm told that there were a number of women there but everyone was too shy (wouldn't have been a problem had I been there! lol).

It's weird as this kind of thing does seem to have really taken off in the States but it just doesn't seem to have been made to work here. Maybe it's some kind of cultural thing?

- G

• 2 weeks later...

I know that the people who organise Sci Fi Speed Dating for other cons in the US are looking at branching out and coming to UK cons, just a matter of time I think.

As for after events, we had a really good forum meet up after the Saturday at LFCC, but no plans for this one as yet.

I suggested something like this last year (I think). DSTL did have something but it was badly organised, in my opinion. I didn't go to the speed dating as I was getting photo shoots instead but I'm told that there were a number of women there but everyone was too shy (wouldn't have been a problem had I been there! lol).

It's weird as this kind of thing does seem to have really taken off in the States but it just doesn't seem to have been made to work here. Maybe it's some kind of cultural thing?

- G

Theres was some sort of speed dating event at Destinaton Star Trek last year. I thought it got cancelled due to lack of female interest

I took part in the DSTL speed dating event. There was a nice mix of both men and women and we all had a good chat (there's even a glimpse of it in the official DSTL video).

Sadly, the venue wasn't organised very well - we all turned up and had to turf people out of the seated café areas to make room for us.

From what I hear they did cancel the second day's event although that may have been down to a lack of take up? I believe the second day was geared to older attendees.