Obvious question?

LadyDeTemps

I know this is going to sound like an obvious question but…
What's the difference between a Film & Comicon, Collectormaina and Autographica?
Having only been to LFCC for first time this year (it being my 2nd con EVER). I'm intrigued by different names.

• Moderators

The names basically. Just different branding.

Plus yes LFCC has far more room to have different 'zones' etc, while Collectormania has always been predominantly about signings, shoots and dealers.

Autographica generally covers more 'classic' stars as well as Space guests and other more varied interests.

I'd also say that you don't generally get the crowds at Autographica that you do at the events like LFACC and CM. You'd probably notice a difference with dealers as well, at events like LFACC and CM you are more likely to see dealers selling merchandise from newer films and TV series whereas the dealers at Autographica mostly sell autographs albeit there are usually a couple of dealers selling Space/Aviation related merchandise.

I'd also say that you don't generally get the crowds at Autographica that you do at the events like LFACC and CM. You'd probably notice a difference with dealers as well, at events like LFACC and CM you are more likely to see dealers selling merchandise from newer films and TV series whereas the dealers at Autographica mostly sell autographs albeit there are usually a couple of dealers selling Space/Aviation related merchandise.

And chevron is just stargate?

• Showmasters Admin

Autographica - This show has been around for many years and is a hotel based show with usually around 30-40 guests a day and about 2000-3000 attendees. It's aimed at Space fans, Classic TV and movie fans. It traditionally has older guests.

Collectormania / Film and Comic Con -

Showmasters started in Milton Keynes with Collectormania, and a little later they started London Film and Comic Con.

They then branched out to run more shows and used the Collectormania name as this was best known at the time. CM Glasgow, CM GMex (Manchester, no longer running) and CM Midlands (Birmingham area, no longer running).

At this point LFCC took off and became the premiere show in the SM year. So all new shows started after this have been call Film and Comic Cons. Cardiff, Newcastle, Sheffield and Belfast.

For a while there was Collectormania London, which became EMS (Entertainment Media Show), but in the end has become LFCC WInter.

LFCC Summer is the flagship event in the year and will continue to be so, with about 70-80 guests per day, with the biggest hall, the biggest guests and multiple zones.

Followed by CM:MK Summer and LFCC Winter which usually have about 40-50 guests a day and get about 12,000 attendees a day

All of the other shows either CM or FCC are basically the same with 30ish guests per day, talks, photo shoots, cosplay, comic zone etc. And about 3000-8000 attendees.

• Showmasters Admin

And chevron is just stargate?

Massive Events is a sister company to Showmasters and run show specific weekend conventions in hotels with between 4-8 guests and 300-1000 attendees.

Currently running are...

HalloWhedon - Joss Whedon event

Eternal Twilight - Twilight event

Chevron - Stargate

Autographica - This show has been around for many years and is a hotel based show with usually around 30-40 guests a day and about 2000-3000 attendees. It's aimed at Space fans, Classic TV and movie fans. It traditionally has older guests.

Collectormania / Film and Comic Con -

Showmasters started in Milton Keynes with Collectormania, and a little later they started London Film and Comic Con.

They then branched out to run more shows and used the Collectormania name as this was best known at the time. CM Glasgow, CM GMex (Manchester, no longer running) and CM Midlands (Birmingham area, no longer running).

At this point LFCC took off and became the premiere show in the SM year. So all new shows started after this have been call Film and Comic Cons. Cardiff, Newcastle, Sheffield and Belfast.

For a while there was Collectormania London, which became EMS (Entertainment Media Show), but in the end has become LFCC WInter.

LFCC Summer is the flagship event in the year and will continue to be so, with about 70-80 guests per day, with the biggest hall, the biggest guests and multiple zones.

Followed by CM:MK Summer and LFCC Winter which usually have about 40-50 guests a day and get about 12,000 attendees a day

All of the other shows either CM or FCC are basically the same with 30ish guests per day, talks, photo shoots, cosplay, comic zone etc. And about 3000-8000 attendees.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was just looking and wondering if I needed to have different plans if I went to a collectormania rather than a comicon if that makes sense?:)

Edited by LadyDeTemps

you won't need to buy entry tickets for a Collectormania. but other than that there's really no need for a change of plans. finding a place to stay can be a bit more tricky maybe, London has more options.

With london I can hop on the train and an all day railcard costs me less than a hotel (If you can find a hotel for less than £20 a night in london then your better than me. lol)....anything further afield involved lots of money and military style planning.

Is there a reason why collectormania has no entry fee/prebook? I'd hate to turn up and not be able to get in.

Currently pondering on trying MK collectormania or cardiff film and comicon next year.

Edited by LadyDeTemps

• Showmasters Admin

Thanks for the delineated explanation. I was just looking and wondering if I needed to have different plans if I went to a collectormania rather than a comicon if that makes sense?:)

That's cool. And no they are pretty much the same, just different sized based on the venues :D

• Like 1

I think I'm leaning towards going to the cardiff comiccon more...purely because...

1) I can make it into a holiday and visit dr who stuff

2) There seems to be more doctor who guests there than others

3) I can book entry tickets. If I learned anything from lfcc its PRE-BOOK EVERYTHING. ;)

you won't need to buy entry tickets for a Collectormania. but other than that there's really no need for a change of plans. finding a place to stay can be a bit more tricky maybe, London has more options.

Only true for the Milton KIeynes Collectormanias - you have to buy tickets for Glasgow (maybe they should change the Glasgow name to GFCC going forward)