Nelson Mandela RIP :(

KingRichard76

A man with a tormented life. Started off with great intentions, was corrupted by both sides and chose a path a path of violence that would end up causing him to lose 27 years of his freedom, but stayed strong and rediscovered his true faith and worked hard with FW de Klerk to bring South African together.

Nelson Mandela showed that someone can make a bad decision in life, pay his debt to society, outwardly recognise he made a lot of mistakes, but then work hard up until his final days to bring a nation together,

I hope he finds peace and serenity in his passing that at times in life he could not.

Edited by RedSimon13

was corrupted by both sides... someone can make a bad decision in life, pay his debt to debt to society...
That's an "interesting" interpretation of his life, and somewhat at variance with most. I'm not sure he had much of a "debt" to the "society" that locked him up; certainly not 27 years worth.

Nelson Mandela showed that someone can make a bad decision in life, pay his debt to debt to society, outwardly recognise he made a lot of mistakes, but then work hard up until his final days to bring a nation together,

I'm sorry, I know this isn't usually the place for political discussion, but that is the most bizarrely out of touch interpretation of Mandelas incarceration I have ever read. He was no saint, and as a young man he moved from his chosen path as a lawyer to a point of embracing a forceful struggle against the apartheid regime. He was, along with many other ANC leaders jailed for his opposition. This was initially only for 7 years but was extended due to charges of 'treason' to the extent that he would never be naturally released. To state that his jail term was to 'repay his debt to society' is both entirely wrong and either betrays a complete ignorance of the situation, or some latent defense of the apartheid regime.

Either way, I would love to hear a better explanation of your comment, or preferably its deletion.

Nelson Mandela showed that someone can make a bad decision in life, pay his debt to debt to society, outwardly recognise he made a lot of mistakes, but then work hard up until his final days to bring a nation together,

I'm sorry, I know this isn't usually the place for political discussion, but that is the most bizarrely out of touch interpretation of Mandelas incarceration I have ever read. He was no saint, and as a young man he moved from his chosen path as a lawyer to a point of embracing a forceful struggle against the apartheid regime. He was, along with many other ANC leaders jailed for his opposition. This was initially only for 7 years but was extended due to charges of 'treason' to the extent that he would never be naturally released. To state that his jail term was to 'repay his debt to society' is both entirely wrong and either betrays a complete ignorance of the situation, or some latent defense of the apartheid regime.

Either way, I would love to hear a better explanation of your comment, or preferably its deletion.

I could quite of easily gone into much more detail regarding my thoughts towards the life of Mandela and the subsequent representation of his life. However, as this was a string to pay respects to him following his passing, I chose what I stand by as the most appropriate way to post. The intention of my post was to pay my respects whilst giving a brief comment about what was a very turbulent life.

Just to answer a few bits very briefly. I do not have any ignorance to the situation as I have studied Mandela's life as part of studies I took several years ago. As regards it potentially being a latent defense of the apartheid regime, I can guarantee that it is quite the opposite.

As regards a better explanation, I feel it inappropriate to discuss this matter in full on a tribute string. But I have discussed this off of this site and have no problem politely discussing it with anyone in detail if done in the appropriate location.

As regards deleting it...I see no reason as there is nothing offensive in it. And to suggest it be deleted I find a tad unfair to myself who has politely commented.

I would like add that I respect everyone's right to an opinion and this is why I chose to politely reply to yourself as you had taken the time to question my comments in a similar fashion. I believe healthy discussion is great when done respectfully.

Edited by RedSimon13

was corrupted by both sides... someone can make a bad decision in life, pay his debt to debt to society...
That's an "interesting" interpretation of his life, and somewhat at variance with most. I'm not sure he had much of a "debt" to the "society" that locked him up; certainly not 27 years worth.

My "interesting interpretation" of his life was a brief comment that was not expanded upon due to this being a tribute thread. As I have said to another poster, I felt it inappropriate to give a full comment regarding Mandela's life, something I studied in depth as part of a course I undertook several years ago, so chose to post what I did.

As regards it being "somewhat at variance with most", I choose not to "follow the masses" and speak my own mind on anything. However, as life has shown me personally, there are ways and means of doing so out of respect for other people. Unlike some on this and other websites, I choose not to enter into online "arguments" when views differ. I find healthy discussion a great route, but sometimes I walk away when I feel others may not hold the same standards of politeness and courtesy as I do. As I have also mentioned to the aforementioned other poster, I am happy to discuss this issue in the appropriate locations and this tribute thread is not what I would call an appropriate location.

In closing, I would like add that I respect everyone's right to an opinion and this is why I chose to politely reply to yourself as you had taken the time to question my comments in a similar fashion. I believe healthy discussion is great when done respectfully.

Edited by RedSimon13

Thankyou for your prompt response. I agree that this is a tribute thread, and not the place for argument, and can see you are not an uneducated person. I do unfortunately disagree with your contention that your post was not offensive - the trite remark about 'paying his debt to society' is in my opinion deeply offensive and inaccurate. It would imply that somehow his detention was valid, and that was what he deserved. This may not have been what you intended to convey, but I for one do object to it.

Thankyou for your prompt response. I agree that this is a tribute thread, and not the place for argument, and can see you are not an uneducated person. I do unfortunately disagree with your contention that your post was not offensive - the trite remark about 'paying his debt to society' is in my opinion deeply offensive and inaccurate. It would imply that somehow his detention was valid, and that was what he deserved. This may not have been what you intended to convey, but I for one do object to it.

I thank you for your reply, but will end the discussion here as I stand by my reasoning for not expanding further here. Have a good weekend.