Still Unofficial?

CharlotteP

I personally think that they have some good guests lined up but are waiting to suprise everyone with them on the actual day like they have done before? (i hope so anyway!) i am feeling a little deflated about the guest line up, but im still leaving room for that BIG suprise announcement(s) on the day!! :-) fingers crossed!!

FINGERS CROSSED!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I'm pretty sure if they had a big guest that they COULD announce now, they would to keep people happy and attract more ticket sales.

There's always the potential for a last minute guest that could be a surprise for the event, but it'd make no sense to have one now and not tell anyone.

I just wanted to add my two-penneth worth - why not?

Firstly, I wanted to say thank you to everyone at SM/ME who work damned hard to organise these events with a company based in another country. It cannot be easy, it isn't easy, I don't envy the team and I'm really grateful for all they do to try and make these events memorable.

Secondly, these events are all about Twilight, whatever forms that may come in. I enjoy meeting other fans, making new friends, chatting with the vendors, spending time with the authors we are lucky to meet and generally enjoying myself. This is why I buy tickets for a convention even though, like everyone now, money is extremely tight. Also, the cost for this event is pretty reasonable. Looking at other similar events held by other companies, you get far less and it costs more, most don't provide photos for signings and you have to pay extra if more guests come - really, these events are incredible value for money.

Thirdly, I don't really see how we can complain about a lack of information. A lot of what goes on at meetings to organise the sort of agreements we're after are highly secretive and really can't be discussed with anyone. When the announcement was made at ET6, the agreements were literally on the table to be signed, otherwise ME couldn't have said anything. Summit have then obviously pulled the agreement based on what they were working on with Lionsgate, and let's be honest, making a little Twilight convention in the UK official has probably been very low on the list of priorities. Imagine how awful Mark and the team must feel and how disappointed and frustrated THEY are, never mind us. This is something they work on day in day out and they must feel as though they are working against the tide, fighting for answers.

Whilst I appreciate what people are saying about buying their ticket on the premise of better guests, and believe me I did the same and I ummed and ahhhed over it, we made that decision ourselves and if we didn't believe that SM would pull it out of the bag then we wouldn't have splurged. It's only my opinion and, just like everyone else who has voiced theirs, I hope you don't shoot me down. But personally, I feel really lucky to have such a committed team flogging themselves to pull together an amazing event for us even if everything is conspiring against them. And how gutting to have people complain about the work they are doing, to know people plan on complaining about it at the Con itself - I think I'd have given up if it was me. I love my job because it's rewarding - I am sure SM love theirs for the same reason.

SO let's have a little SM love - who's with me? :unsure:

I want to hug you right now. I completely agree! :)

Aww! Hugs always welcome!

Firstly, I wanted to say thank you to everyone at SM/ME who work damned hard to organise these events with a company based in another country. It cannot be easy, it isn't easy, I don't envy the team and I'm really grateful for all they do to try and make these events memorable.

Secondly, these events are all about Twilight, whatever forms that may come in. I enjoy meeting other fans, making new friends, chatting with the vendors, spending time with the authors we are lucky to meet and generally enjoying myself. This is why I buy tickets for a convention even though, like everyone now, money is extremely tight. Also, the cost for this event is pretty reasonable. Looking at other similar events held by other companies, you get far less and it costs more, most don't provide photos for signings and you have to pay extra if more guests come - really, these events are incredible value for money.

Thirdly, I don't really see how we can complain about a lack of information. A lot of what goes on at meetings to organise the sort of agreements we're after are highly secretive and really can't be discussed with anyone. When the announcement was made at ET6, the agreements were literally on the table to be signed, otherwise ME couldn't have said anything. Summit have then obviously pulled the agreement based on what they were working on with Lionsgate, and let's be honest, making a little Twilight convention in the UK official has probably been very low on the list of priorities. Imagine how awful Mark and the team must feel and how disappointed and frustrated THEY are, never mind us. This is something they work on day in day out and they must feel as though they are working against the tide, fighting for answers.

Whilst I appreciate what people are saying about buying their ticket on the premise of better guests, and believe me I did the same and I ummed and ahhhed over it, we made that decision ourselves and if we didn't believe that SM would pull it out of the bag then we wouldn't have splurged. It's only my opinion and, just like everyone else who has voiced theirs, I hope you don't shoot me down. But personally, I feel really lucky to have such a committed team flogging themselves to pull together an amazing event for us even if everything is conspiring against them. And how gutting to have people complain about the work they are doing, to know people plan on complaining about it at the Con itself - I think I'd have given up if it was me. I love my job because it's rewarding - I am sure SM love theirs for the same reason.

SO let's have a little SM love - who's with me? :unsure:

I want to hug you right now. I completely agree! :)

Aww! Hugs always welcome!

I shall have to find you at et7 :help:

:lol:

SO let's have a little SM love - who's with me? :wub:

:unsure: Well said!

I have only attented ET6 and this is my 2nd con so I can understand some high expectations from people that have been attending since ET1 :/

BUT... Im going to the con to be around people of the same mind! To dress up and have an awesome time.

I have made some GREAT friends and I enjoy not being just *mummy* for a whole weekend!!

And the work that must go into these cons must be unbelievable to be honest...

I found it hard to organize a 6yr olds birthday party :help:

What ever happens you have my love :wub:

Sooooo, bit tense in here yes? Shame really since I have been to all the Twi cons and although some for me haven't been as good as others, the guests have always been a blast no matter how big or small their parts have been in the movies. I can totally understand that things are equally as frustrating for SM/ME with not getting the contracts signed and sorted when they had hoped but at least they are still doing what they can. I just consider myself lucky that I can even go to ET7 since it was looking a bit dodgy for a while. Booboo was such a sweetie at the last con he came to and I know my daughter is extra excited to meet him again (she's hoping this time she won't be so tongue tied) and Christian Camargo has been in so many great shows - he's like a superstar!!

I doubt that the acquisition by Lionsgate will affect on going negotiations for Official status. Most companies tend to honour contracts that are in motion unless they turn out to be financially unviable. And let's face it, SM have a proven track record of running a kick butt Twilight con so things will be fine in the end...she says! :)

As far as I can tell from reading through all these comments, nobody has accused SM/ME of lying, just of over-hyping an event when really the 'official' announcement should have been saved for when it actually was official. It *was* strongly hinted that being the 'Official Twilight Convention' would secure the bigger guests due to contractual obligations and, in hindsight, that was an unfair thing for SM/ME to do because, clearly, it has caused a bit of controversy.

The last ET was, as always, fun. But, I have to admit, it was fun because I'm there with my friends. The same friends that I often have fun with at weekends for a fraction of the cost! The guests, no matter how unknown, are always lovely. Nobody is disputing that. But, honestly, the majority of us don't spend these large sums of money to meet the character who is on screen for five minutes (or, as is the case for some past guests, two minutes). It's nice to meet them, it really is, but nice is a weak word when meeting some of the bigger guests (not even the big three, as others have also said on here) would be BLOODYAMAZINGFANTASTICAWESOMEOMG. And, although not grammatically correct, that is the big difference.

I hate to be cynical because (I really can't stress this enough because I don't want to seem like this is a big moan) I do have a blast at ET but it could be construed that the 'official' announcement was deliberately made prematurely to boost ticket sales. I'm sure SM/ME are working very hard to secure this status, but I can't help but feel it might have been because of the weak line up of the last ET (weak in terms of big star power and/or repeated guests, not weak in terms of perfectly pleasant people).

We are all waiting with baited breath and desperate hope for SM/ME to come good. It seems to me that nobody is attacking the organisers, just suggesting that they shouldn't have gotten our hopes up (again and again).

Looking forward to the next guest announcements, but hoping this won't be my last ET xxx

AGREED with everything you just said!!! Well done :)

Let's hope a big guest gets announced soon!! That's what I'm paying for!

As far as I can tell from reading through all these comments, nobody has accused SM/ME of lying, just of over-hyping an event when really the 'official' announcement should have been saved for when it actually was official. It *was* strongly hinted that being the 'Official Twilight Convention' would secure the bigger guests due to contractual obligations and, in hindsight, that was an unfair thing for SM/ME to do because, clearly, it has caused a bit of controversy.

The last ET was, as always, fun. But, I have to admit, it was fun because I'm there with my friends. The same friends that I often have fun with at weekends for a fraction of the cost! The guests, no matter how unknown, are always lovely. Nobody is disputing that. But, honestly, the majority of us don't spend these large sums of money to meet the character who is on screen for five minutes (or, as is the case for some past guests, two minutes). It's nice to meet them, it really is, but nice is a weak word when meeting some of the bigger guests (not even the big three, as others have also said on here) would be BLOODYAMAZINGFANTASTICAWESOMEOMG. And, although not grammatically correct, that is the big difference.

I hate to be cynical because (I really can't stress this enough because I don't want to seem like this is a big moan) I do have a blast at ET but it could be construed that the 'official' announcement was deliberately made prematurely to boost ticket sales. I'm sure SM/ME are working very hard to secure this status, but I can't help but feel it might have been because of the weak line up of the last ET (weak in terms of big star power and/or repeated guests, not weak in terms of perfectly pleasant people).

We are all waiting with baited breath and desperate hope for SM/ME to come good. It seems to me that nobody is attacking the organisers, just suggesting that they shouldn't have gotten our hopes up (again and again).

Looking forward to the next guest announcements, but hoping this won't be my last ET xxx

I completely agree ^

Sorry everyone, I got to put the mod hat on for a moment.

So far everyone has been reasonable in explaining why you feel the way you feel. Hopefully you have noticed that nothing in this topic has been deleted so far.

But if the posts go over a certain line - especially if this includes bashing guests currently attending - the mods will have to step in. That's what happened last night. So if you checked this topic last night and come back now you will find something gone.

I don't mean to say you have to go jumping for joy for every guest announcement. We ask to keep the announcement topic friendly, but posts like some made here that basically add up "I'd rather have seen a Cullen" are not a problem as long as they are not phrased "OMG this is BS, worst guest announcement eber, why didn't you get Jackson?!?!?"

We will delete negative posts about our guests if for example they contain comparisons like last night. Guests do come here on the forum. It has happened in the past that guests were put off from attending when they read such comments.

Thank you for understanding, and now we return to our regular scheduled programme. :YAHOO: