6.8 lets kill hitler

timelord81r

Why are you always so aggressive whenever you respond to me on here? Firstly, my comment was not addressed to you, it was addressed to Rob, and secondly I didn't pluck these figures out of the air. Here is a link to the site where I found them:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/08/dwn29...ill-hitler.html

I'm surprised no-one else here knows about the Doctor Who news site, it's the first place I go to when I want to know what's going on with the show.

Edit: I just found an explanation of AI figures: "The Appreciation Index or AI score measures how much the audience enjoyed the programme. The scores are based on the comments of a panel of around 5,000 people who rate and comment on programmes. A score of 85 is regarded as excellent." Further to this, "the overwhelming majority of television programmes score in the 60s or 70s."

Thank you for that, it's much appreciated.

As for the aggressive nature of my writing...well that left me a little surprised, I was not aware that it was an aggressive question. I genuinely did not know whose figures you were quoting and I asked.

It is not easy to gauge emotional content from one's writing, you're only seeing the print after all, but if it came across that way, it was not intended.

Sorry.

EDIT: Hang a minute nosfer, whilst the apology stands, I never meant to come off as aggressive, I have just looked back through the thread and found that I only responded to you once...to ask about the AI figures, so I still remain a bit bemused by the 'always' bit.

Edited by SlippDigby

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you always so aggressive whenever you respond to me on here? Firstly, my comment was not addressed to you, it was addressed to Rob, and secondly I didn't pluck these figures out of the air. Here is a link to the site where I found them:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/08/dwn29...ill-hitler.html

I'm surprised no-one else here knows about the Doctor Who news site, it's the first place I go to when I want to know what's going on with the show.

Edit: I just found an explanation of AI figures: "The Appreciation Index or AI score measures how much the audience enjoyed the programme. The scores are based on the comments of a panel of around 5,000 people who rate and comment on programmes. A score of 85 is regarded as excellent." Further to this, "the overwhelming majority of television programmes score in the 60s or 70s."

Thank you for that, it's much appreciated.

As for the aggressive nature of my writing...well that left me a little surprised, I was not aware that it was an aggressive question. I genuinely did not know whose figures you were quoting and I asked.

It is not easy to gauge emotional content from one's writing, you're only seeing the print after all, but if it came across that way, it was not intended.

Sorry.

EDIT: Hang a minute nosfer, whilst the apology stands, I never meant to come off as aggressive, I have just looked back through the thread and found that I only responded to you once...to ask about the AI figures, so I still remain a bit bemused by the 'always' bit.

It wasn't in this thread, it was after Collectormania when I raised my concerns about the way the queue for Alex Kingston was handled. As you may recall, I witnessed some people admitting that they had jumped the queue by going through the main entrance and had got low virtual ticket numbers, whereas I had queued in the correct queue but by the time I got to meet her she was no longer doing personalisations. (It all worked out ok in the end because I had a Gold Pass for LFACC so I got to meet her really early on and got the dedication I wanted, and I sent the other autograph to a friend in the States who really appreciated it!)

In any case, thanks for the apology.

ok rewatched LKH, the stuff that has bugged me still bugs me, however the good stuff shone through more than on first viewing.

its still a stupid title and waste of setting, but it works better as part of AGMG2W

although im a little confused as to the bit in agmg2w where the doc says you know i will find her and river says the doc will care for her ect.

yet me know she still grows up to kill the doc and a bit of a pshyco,

and i dont get why when things happen slyley ect that they feel the need to show it in flash back (like the doc turning the fruit bowl. things characters realise and we the audience do also they feel the need to flsash back and show it, why not draw us pop up pictures? reminds me of lucas tinkering with star wars lol, saw yesterday the added no, noooo in jedi online, sigh

id say lkh was very emotional tv/drama, but a crappy episode, because it wasnt an episode, it was a conclusion to AGMG2W with a crappy sub plot. but it had some really good emotional character scenes, and arthur was funny in small ways.

A bit late but, here goes;

I agree with Rob's comnments.

Quite possibly my least favourite Who episode ever. There was absolutely no point to the setting storywise. It could have taken place at anytime, and anywhere. I mentioned this elsewhere - Winnie The Pooh had a better storyline in Red Dwarf than Hitler did in this episode, and you didn't even see Winnie. What was the point? It was a wasted opportunity.

For me the only good(?) part Amy's discovery that Rory was not gay. In context though that is not really a great selling point because Doctor Who is not promoted, or advertised, as being a comedy.

I think series 6 has split fans, hard core classic fans are getting annoyed the individual adventures r being lost
I think you may be correct.

For me the arc involving that of River is taking over far too often, and what should be the main story for that week is being relegated to the background. I enjoy season long arcs. I like Babylon 5 and DS9 is my favourite show mainly because of the various ongoing arcs. I don't think that it works with Doctor Who though.

It is nothing to do with the characters or actors involved. It's the individual stories being 'replaced' with a season arc that I have an issue with.

• Moderators

Season arcs are difficult to manage. Sometimes you can go too in depth, but lean the other way and it can feel like moments are 'tagged on' to link more individual episodes back to the main arc.

I wasn't a big fan of random "and here's the crack in the wall.." moments, for example.

I'm not even sure why I don't like it in Who. DS9 and B5 both have various arcs going on at any one time. So one shouldn't bother me :o

Maybe when it comes to Who I am more of a traditionalist and just prefer the classic format of one evil to combat per story. I'm getting old :D

I guess the writers/etc feel that Who had to change and adapt to the format of current shows so that it has the best chance to survive.

Season arcs are difficult to manage. Sometimes you can go too in depth, but lean the other way and it can feel like moments are 'tagged on' to link more individual episodes back to the main arc.

I wasn't a big fan of random "and here's the crack in the wall.." moments, for example.

you kow what I wasnt either, although crack mostly I felt was better than shoe horned in (torchwood, saxon, knock 4 times ect ect) bad wolf wasnt bad.

I'm not even sure why I don't like it in Who. DS9 and B5 both have various arcs going on at any one time. So one shouldn't bother me :headscratch:

Maybe when it comes to Who I am more of a traditionalist and just prefer the classic format of one evil to combat per story. I'm getting old :D

I guess the writers/etc feel that Who had to change and adapt to the format of current shows so that it has the best chance to survive.

Im the same, ive said it on here before, I love arcs in my tv, but with who it just doesnt feel right or work for me, not massive series encompasing arcs, I liked how river was dealt with in series 5, in series 6 alot of what happened in 5 starts to make less sense, and in 6 more than other series alot of the indicvidual eps are lost or a bit dull (which has nothing to do with the arc really but putting it out there) I mean aside a nice little twist curse of the black spot was rather dull/silly and wasted.

but alot of the youth watcing havnet seen classic and never will, and they love the arcs and see that as how DW is, we have a comparison to match it to.

as you can see above I have many issues with lets kill hitler, second viewing I enjoyed the good parts more.

but I was slightly annoyed that hitler was treated more like a little kid, felt it sent the wrong message out to kids. and was such a waste of a potentially evil episode with such an evil human. and a complete waste of a very interesting period in human history, this ep could of been set in a pizza hut it would of made little difference to the story lol

dont get me started again on the "makes no sense justice robots" who the doc seems to let go, surely he would stop them, exactly who were they? did the doc mean humans? or was that line "its pretty obvious who you are" put in so moff didnt have to bother explaining it?

lol I love that winnie the poo bit in red dwarf, "hes refusing the blind fold"

i guess im also more of a traditionalist with who, I must be old also

Edited by timelord81r

...dont get me started again on the "makes no sense justice robots" who the doc seems to let go, surely he would stop them, exactly who were they? did the doc mean humans? or was that line "its pretty obvious who you are" put in so moff didnt have to bother explaining it?...

As far as I could see, they were there only to throw a bit of pointless and nonsensical peril at Rory and Amy, and just to be totally obvious that they were after River, despite the tease of having their target identified as a Time-Lord on their screens (but keeping the mystery going a bit longer by not showing the target's name)

From this, it is clear that the Doctor's personality has been changed significantly. Interfering with time to deal with 'Hitler types'...the Doctor of old would have been on that like a ton of bricks.

Still, having said that, once again I feel that praise should go Matt Smith's way. His 'child savant' approach is superb.