6.4 THE DOCTOR'S WIFE

timelord81r

6.4 THE DOCTOR'S WIFE

Written by: Neil Gaiman

Directed by: Richard Clark

synopsis

----------

In a bubble universe at the very edge of reality, the Doctor will meet an old friend with a new face.

-----------

Even I have enjoyed the first three episodes of this series, however, this story was a step too far.

The acting wasn't up to scratch and the story was dreadful. Don't get me wrong I like Neil Gaiman usually - not this time.

The only good thing about this episode was Matt Smith in the last 10 minutes - showing the emotion that Tennant used to show.

Wasn't keen on the beginning but i felt that the story picked up around about when Amy and Rory was going through the corridor. Really liked the ending when the Doctor and Idris had their last "chat" together and the rest after espcially when the doctor comments about the bunk bed thought was kinda funny.

thought it was a pretty decent episode, matt smith & Suranne Jones (sexy for sure) were great, good acting, the plot was pretty cool and an unexpected idea as in who idris was, I loved the war games nod/plot thread, liked the visuals, the house voice by sheen was really good.

the end was pretty decent. I even had a small manly tear in my eye.

it did have its flaws though, how exactly did those ppl get to the bubble universe, there not time lords, why was idris a sexy young woman with no visible augmentation where as auntie and uncle had been plastered with bits and bobs from other beings?

the actors playing auntie and uncle were pretty poor I thought, they also annoyed me a bit.

why does new who find it so hard to come up with decent alien or ppl names? house, auntie, this isnt a new thing in new who. more often than not they are very bland and unimaginative, there are exceptions though,

much prefer when future plot points are softly put in like the river line tonight. rather than shoehorned in like TW/SAXON/4 KNOCKS/ROSE and to not as bad a degree the crack, ect.

didnt think the next ep looked all that good though, apart from some of the make up/prosthetics

Ive liked the last 4 eps but i dont know, something is missing, I was expecting more from this year (i loved series 5)

you know what, I just want an ep where they land, are cut off from the tardis, have a situation there in the middle off that they need to help the locals with and cant leave till its sorted, with cool monsters, no hopping from one room to another in the tardis or wibbly wobberly timely wimey stuff which has led to some good eps but there seems to be too much timey wimey stuff, but maybe thats the old school whovian in me lol but this doesnt really lend to tonight's ep, just a general thought

oh yes, was also a funny ep ontop of the drama, thats always good, good ep tonight, yes

stupid lazy title though, also not really his was was she, bit like the next doctor this title for me, annoying

oh random, I love that she loved being called old girl, loved there interaction together, was really nice, and well acted.

Edited by timelord81r

didnt think the next ep looked all that good though, apart from some of the make up/prosthetics

I thought it looked decent but reading the synopsis for it makes me really looking forward to it.

I thought it looked decent but reading the synopsis for it makes me really looking forward to it.

I havnt read the synopsis, I saw SPOILERS before it so didnt bother, though i might have to at some point to post here, but I will be careful and find a non spoiler one, im trying a spoiler free viewing of who for the duration this year

I havnt read the synopsis, I saw SPOILERS before it so didnt bother, though i might have to at some point to post here, but I will be careful and find a non spoiler one, im trying a spoiler free viewing of who for the duration this year

Yea same been trying to cut down on looking at spoliers this year (I'm bit of an impatient type when it comes to doctor who) but sometimes i can't help.

Now go back and view it how I did the first time.

The final scene with Suranne, apologies to her but I did not see her. For some reason I saw Liz Sladen :wub: . I have no idea why!

Edit: I played catchup last night/this morning on the previous 3 epsiodes. In summary I am enjoying this series more than the last.

Edited by 1of2

Now go back and view it how I did the first time.

The final scene with Suranne, apologies to her but I did not see her. For some reason I saw Liz Sladen :wub: . I have no idea why!

Edit: I played catchup last night/this morning on the previous 3 epsiodes. In summary I am enjoying this series more than the last.

Same here i am enjoying this series also better then the last this episode is one of the best one yet

it did have its flaws though, how exactly did those ppl get to the bubble universe, there not time lords, why was idris a sexy young woman with no visible augmentation where as auntie and uncle had been plastered with bits and bobs from other beings?

Auntie, Uncle, Nephew and Idris fell through the rift. The Time Lords who went there all went by Tardis after receiving cubes, hence the collection.

Maybe Idris hadn't been there as long as Auntie and Uncle and so hadn't needed mending yet (or maybe she was a gross mish-mash of parts underneath her dress!)

Edited by mpharris

Last night I watched it and when the episode finished I was unsure, there were some great things, but some things I wasn't mad on either. However, I watched it again this morning, and now I absolutely love it, the second watch definitely improves this one, so I would encourage anybody who wasn't sure the first time through to give it another watch whilst it is still on iPlayer

Well I guess now we know that timelords can regenerate into the opposite sex, so a future Doctor could be a woman :blink:

I liked the episode mostly, I really liked that the TARDIS was able to speak to and interact with the Doctor, but there was something about the episode I didn't like, can't put my finger on exactly what though. At least, that was the case on my first viewing, the second time I watched it I didn't seem to have a problem with the episode.

It seems to be like marmite - people either really love the latest episode or really hate it. In places it seemed a bit like an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. As a Star Trek fan I enjoyed it, but I could see why some Who fans wouldn't.