How do conventions work?

ajknight1972

Hi,

I've never been to a specfic convention and was wondering how they work?

Do I have to stay in the hotel for the weekend or can I travel? Do I have to get in character? In between talks / shoots etc. are there other things to do and see?

Also, are there any threads about any previous conventions and what went on so I can get a feel for them.

Apologies if these are posted anywhere else.

Cheers for any help.

Andy K.

Basically speaking it's photos and autograph sessions in the mornings, and then in the afternoons the guests are on stage for talks. The system how you're called for autographs and photos is similar to the LFACC/CM VQ system, the only difference is that it's not going by numbers, but by groups. You'll see which group you are once the schedule has been posted.

You get one free autograph per guest. The difference this time is RDA who's only signing for Gold and Silver ticket holders, standards get a pre-signed autograph. You can buy additional autographs if you want (again RDA being the exception, anything extra with him will get you a pre-signed photo). First time you go down the line it's normally the free one plus two extras. If you need more you will have to wait until the guest goes open queue.

For photos Gold and Silver ticket holders have one photo per guest included, but can buy extras if they wish.

Standard tickets will have to buy photo shoot tickets. Normally those are on sale at the registration desk, but Mark has mentioned that at least for RDA they'd be on sale online.

You can come and go as you please, no need to stay in the hotel. In fact quite a number of fans don't stay in the convention hotel for one reason or the other, so you absolutely won't be the only one.

You will be receiving a lanyard with a badge when you register. You'll normally be asked to show this badge once you enter the convention area, but that's pretty much all that's different. You get to keep that ticket and don't hand it over when you enter like at LFACC.

I assume with "getting in character" you mean if you have to come in costume?

Again no, that's absolutely not required. There've been some great costumes in the past, but it is not an requirement to wear one.

Other things to do and see... there's a dealers room and sometimes special things like an episode screening commented by guests. At 7.5 there's also been a quiz in which the guests participated.

The Hilton is an airport hotel, so there's not much as close by as in Northampton.

Anything I forgot?

The Hilton is an airport hotel, so there's not much as close by as in Northampton.

Its not part of the airport, so there are a few others closer to the airport. Or central Birmigham is 15 minutes by direct train.

It's not, but if it takes anyone longer than 10 minutes - maybe 15 minutes tops to do on foot I will mock them. And the monorail goes every 2 minutes.

Basically speaking it's photos and autograph sessions in the mornings, and then in the afternoons the guests are on stage for talks. The system how you're called for autographs and photos is similar to the LFACC/CM VQ system, the only difference is that it's not going by numbers, but by groups. You'll see which group you are once the schedule has been posted.

You get one free autograph per guest. The difference this time is RDA who's only signing for Gold and Silver ticket holders, standards get a pre-signed autograph. You can buy additional autographs if you want (again RDA being the exception, anything extra with him will get you a pre-signed photo). First time you go down the line it's normally the free one plus two extras. If you need more you will have to wait until the guest goes open queue.

For photos Gold and Silver ticket holders have one photo per guest included, but can buy extras if they wish.

Standard tickets will have to buy photo shoot tickets. Normally those are on sale at the registration desk, but Mark has mentioned that at least for RDA they'd be on sale online.

You can come and go as you please, no need to stay in the hotel. In fact quite a number of fans don't stay in the convention hotel for one reason or the other, so you absolutely won't be the only one.

You will be receiving a lanyard with a badge when you register. You'll normally be asked to show this badge once you enter the convention area, but that's pretty much all that's different. You get to keep that ticket and don't hand it over when you enter like at LFACC.

I assume with "getting in character" you mean if you have to come in costume?

Again no, that's absolutely not required. There've been some great costumes in the past, but it is not an requirement to wear one.

Other things to do and see... there's a dealers room and sometimes special things like an episode screening commented by guests. At 7.5 there's also been a quiz in which the guests participated.

Anything I forgot?

Nope, you covered it. Thanks for the info. and help, lets hope there's some silver prog's left.....

Andy K.

name='Kip' date='Dec 16 2010, 07:40 PM' post='1615586']

It's not, but if it takes anyone longer than 10 minutes - maybe 15 minutes tops to do on foot I will mock them. And the monorail goes every 2 minutes.

Sorry has to be done Monorail monorail monorail DOH! ;)