Virtual Queing

salogel42

Okay, there is a way to see all of your faves its simple and why nobody has come up with it amazes me.

See you all beginning of March. Will Chloe Annett marry me if i ask? I haven't got much cash but I am very good in bed.(or so I'm told) if not any of you honeys out there keep an eye out for me. I'm the one looking like me!

A picture would be good huns!!!!!! Are you tall dark and handsome, do you have blue eyes??? What are your hands like, are they warm or cold???

Sorry guys you know me, have to ask these questions LOL

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The benefits of virtual queuing are,

1. You don't spend all day standing in a line. In most cases you won't spend more than around 30 minutes physically standing in a queue for any one guest.

2. You can take numbers for all the guests you want to meet and be queuing in several places at once!

3. From a health and safety point of view, it cuts down on large crowds of people standing around for long periods.

At the end of the day, all you are doing is taking a number that represents your position in the queue. This allows you to leave and come back to roughly the same place the line.

Just to remind everyone, I have copied this from the FAQ at the bottom of the forum. I personally have seen 'grouping' of guests before and I can understand how this works effectively because there is not too far too walk etc. 'Grouping' under one ticket however has made some people feel uncomfortable walking past guests they did not want to see, as some have stated in this thread. I am unaware of what will happen at London Film and Comic Con (I'm a moderator, I don't have the Showmasters Bible :o) but virtual queuing has worked effectively in the past. As for people not getting to see all four hobbits because they had to run around like mad people - I would say that it was near impossible to group all four of them together, as anyone could have seen from Middleton Hall, if the four hobbits had been placed in the central area rather than down the sides of John Lewis then this would have been sheer chaos (ok, I know some people will say it WAS chaos but believe me it would have been worse!).

Obviously no-one can really predict how many people will turn up to LFaCC considering it is the first event, and I think the attendance to Collectormania 4 surprised EVERYONE, so you always have to plan ahead. The only possible thing is to get there early, know who you are getting tickets for, and then go and get them. Once you have got the tickets, you can relax and look around until numbers are called. As long as your number is lower than what they are on, then you can get into the queue. Once you are in the queue, it should not take that long to get to the guest, and then you can move on to the next one. In theory, it should work effectively, but of course there are always problems. We just hope that everyone will get to see who they want, and enjoy the first London Film and Comic Con. As you would expect, we do not guarantee that people will see everyone they want to, that is impossible, but good luck! :angel:

Fox

I disagree with the posts with people complaining about having to pay to meet guests, its the same argument that charging for an autograph is wrong, it all comes down to money, do you think that these guests would actually come over if they knew people were not going to pay to meet them, the answer is no they wouldnt and I wouldnt blame them, I wouldnt come thousands of miles to just sit at a table and have pictures taken and not get paid because that is what would happen, sure SM pay them money to come over but if people didnt buy autographs SM wouldnt be able to afford to bring them over so it comes down to if you want to meet them be prepared to pay.

I agree, paying a tenner to get in is justified, but what I dont agree with is the charge for autographs, £15-£25 to sign your name, come on thats over the top.

It would be more resonable at a tenner each, as per some other convention fairs.

I agree, you can't judge someone for their fame and slap an extra £5 on top. If a fan wants to meet their idol they shouldn't have to pay extra just because they are more "famous" or "popular". Compared to the fact that you are going to be in the presence and have a chance to talk to them then the autograph is basically just like a ticket. But they should all be a set price, £10. Im on a personal income of £5 a week pocket money, Im 15 years old and already Ive spent nearly £200 when you add it all up. Im only going to see John Rhys-Davies. But my idol, Christopher Lee, Ive met him twice, sure it wasn't a convention but on one occaision we got to see a movie, we got a screentalk and a signing. Tickets were £10. Think about that, the greatest man on earth in my mind, £10! Ive dished out £200, from my bank, my life savings, to meet John Rhys-Davies, now, Im not complaining about that because if I wasnt willing to pay that much then I wouldnt go, but those students out there that aren't even going to meet someone imparticular, those who have university fees, at the end of the day when you've spent all that money and your not even going to be sure it's going to be worth it.

I completely agree with the fact that without money then we wouldnt get as many good guests and I was completely satisfied when I first found out about this event and the prices, but as the days go by £10 notes are just flying left right and centre and Ive spent everything I have, I havent even gotten to the event yet and Ive spent everything! Im borrowing £100 from my sister so I'll have £120 spending money when I go, I only intend to see one guest! I havent even payed for the accomadation, in fact we could only afford one night so we have to set off at 2:00am. Not only am I going to be broke, but Im going to look like death. Now, at the moment I am looking forward to this, afterall, you only live once, but if I get there and its not worth the amount Ive forked out to meet one guest then its a disgrace.

I don't usually complain about this sort of thing but this is for the sake of the students here that are having to get into debt just to get an autograph.

Ok, Ive read all the arguments here on this thread now, yes there are pros and cons but at the end of the day, to completely contradict my last post, I have to agree with subject_117. I can't complain, its obvious to myself that I must be mad to pay that much to meet John, mad I may be but if I didnt want to pay that then I wouldnt go, Id say f**** it. Ive never looked back and thought "Hmm, £200, is that just a bit too much?" because I might die the next day and then that money would be useless to me, I know thats a really unsensible (is that a real word?) thing to say but its honest. For those who are ready to pay and have the, and I quote, "unwillingness to moan and bitch" then I think they'll have a great time.

This year Luciano Pavarotti is doing his final tour, his farewell tour. Ive never seen him live and one may say "a Pavarotti concert is no place for a 15 year old Bradfordian girl" but that doesnt deter me in the slightest. Sure its £125 just to sit on the back row but hell, if Im going to enoy myself then who's to judge my madness but myself?

People, people, what Im trying to say is, at the end of the day, take a breath, look at this stupid world, this stupid life, we are all living, even the guests for God sake, we're all alike but the point it if your going to anjoy yourself, just stand up, be counted, go into debt and shout...

F*** IT! ITS MY BLOODY MONEY AND IM GOING TO DO THE HELL I WANT WITH IT!

Money is for spending peeps, even if you dont have any! :lol:

Ok, Ive read all the arguments here on this thread now, yes there are pros and cons but at the end of the day, to completely contradict my last post, I have to agree with subject_117. I can't complain, its obvious to myself that I must be mad to pay that much to meet John, mad I may be but if I didnt want to pay that then I wouldnt go, Id say f**** it. Ive never looked back and thought "Hmm, £200, is that just a bit too much?" because I might die the next day and then that money would be useless to me, I know thats a really unsensible (is that a real word?) thing to say but its honest. For those who are ready to pay and have the, and I quote, "unwillingness to moan and bitch" then I think they'll have a great time.

This year Luciano Pavarotti is doing his final tour, his farewell tour. Ive never seen him live and one may say "a Pavarotti concert is no place for a 15 year old Bradfordian girl" but that doesnt deter me in the slightest. Sure its £125 just to sit on the back row but hell, if Im going to enoy myself then who's to judge my madness but myself?

People, people, what Im trying to say is, at the end of the day, take a breath, look at this stupid world, this stupid life, we are all living, even the guests for God sake, we're all alike but the point it if your going to anjoy yourself, just stand up, be counted, go into debt and shout...

F*** IT! ITS MY BLOODY MONEY AND IM GOING TO DO THE HELL I WANT WITH IT!

Money is for spending peeps, even if you dont have any! :lol:

I don't think there's anything wrong with living life! I think I read your going to LOTR talk 2 on Sunday? If so I look forward to it even more. Good to have someone with your outlook on life there! :lol:

I was having a chat with Buff Daddy on MSN and I did agree that it would be good if alot of guests charge £10 but in some cases I can understand why £15 or £20 is charged, there is alot of difference between £10 for a guest who lives inside the UK and doesnt have to travel far compared to a guest like Val Kilmer who has to travel thousands of miles, I have no problem with paying £15 or £20 to meet him because I know if I dont I most likely will never have the chance again, same with Brent Spiner and Levar Burton, seems even in the US its rare for them to sign in person so I dont mind paying £15-£20 to meet them both, but then I am a collector of 8x10 Autographs and getting to meet them in person and have an autograph for £20 is alot better than going on ebay and buying an autograph for more money which you cant even be sure is real.

Edited by Colonel Jack O'Neill

A picture would be good huns!!!!!!  Are you tall dark and handsome, do you have blue eyes???  What are your hands like, are they warm or cold???

Sorry guys you know me, have to ask these questions LOL

I don't have a picture. I fear if I have one taken it'll take my soul away due to I being raised by wolves.

However, I do have blue eyes actually, I am tall compared to a hobbit and as for my hands it depends where they are. ;)

Yourself vamps?

Edited by Kont Darko

I dont think it is a new rule but SM only listed it on the 24th January and most people had already made arrangements by then so was too late for people with little money.

Also, when I was at C3 I saw people asking for just a photo and they were being told no but I asked about buying an autograph and was told a photo was fine, guess they want people who want to pay to have a higher priority over people who just want to take a picture.

Also, surfy_sah, I can understand why you and so many others were annoyed and I think the way SM handled it on Sunday by not giving out information was quite bad but I think they learned there lesson because Monday was well organised and I think most if not everyone went away happy.

All I can suggest is that if possible spend 1 day meeting all the less popular guests and the next day spend all your time meeting the popular guests, I knew if I had turned up just sunday that I would have had little chance of meeting everyone I wanted too but because I met most on saturday and went just for Elijah/Sean/Dom on monday I met everyone I wanted to.

Also a little tip, drag people along who have no interest in meeting guests and just stick them in the queues for tickets, that way you can get all the tickets you want in a much smaller space of time :D

Colonel Jack O'Neill : I am glad we can post on here and seem like friends (I have often added replies to topics you have started etc) and not have huge yelling/fighting type issues!!!! :D

I would like to add this:

I was in c4 for friday (from bout midday) till sunday evening cause when we booked for the event in the summer, it didnt say the LotR guests were only signing on Sunday and the extra day (Monday) hadn't been officially added. I was beating myself up when we had to go home on Sunday cause (other than the room not booked) there was no other reason we couldn't have stayed for the Monday which would have been lush cause people would have been in work/school etc.

The reason I didn't get tickets for Giles on the previous days was because I had met the Star Trek guests and there were no tickets left!!! they even had to spend Sunday finishing the previous days tickets!!! also the guy from Harry Potter I don't think was there the day before and same with that he only had a certain no. of tickets soo :huh::angel:

I can only come for the 1 day, tis costing me enough to get there (taxi to station, train fair, tube fair, taxi back home from station, food etc) that there's no way I can afford a room as well :o:uhoh::(;)

also non oe my mates are coming (due to costs - we live 4 hours away!!) so I have to get all the tickets on my own! (thanks for suggestion though!)

the photo thing is really unfair, I have also spent much of my money just getting there and I can't afford to meet the Red Dwarf cast now :( would have loved a pic (people in front of me in the Andy queque at C4 did it, the guy taking the money didn't mind at all!) it takes mere seconds and I fon't see why it would make such a big impact on their proffits :uhoh: xx

...I agree, paying a tenner to get in is justified, but what I dont agree with is the charge for autographs, £15-£25 to sign your name, come on thats over the top...

...It would be more resonable at a tenner each, as per some other convention fairs...

Obviously the auto price has to be based on how popular the guest is, how much THEY personally want to make from it, how much it costs SMs to get them OVER here .. so think of sum1 like Elijah Wood, he HAD to be a high price or else there was nearly no point in having him there. Again, sad to say, but profit does come into it. Yes, the fans are important, as are all customers to a 'business' but without profit, these things can't really continue can they?.

actually SM stated (some where, I think in the "how much..." section) that prices were based on how much it cost them to get the guest there, not by popularity.

In THIS sense, for example, the Red Dwarf cast (not 100% sure but anyways) are all British and all are living here in Briton?!?! youre talking a couple hundred TOPS on expeneses so if they meet a few hundred people at £15/£20 each (eg 300 x £15) that's over £4000 and that's for only ONE auto, let alone fans getting TWO or THREE!!!!!

don't you think more people would come and get autos if they were cheaper?!? hence wouldn't they make more money at the end of the day?!!?

you all say about them making a profit, there can't be LOADS of people on the pay roll, half of them are volunteers!!! website wouldn't cost mints to contain and seeing as the MK venue is rent-free and they are charging admission in London, what exactly do they need **absolute thousands** £s for?!?!

another e.g. in Elijah, say he met 600 people on the Sunday at £20 each (not including everyone who had MORE than one auto) thats £12,000! fine take off £1000 for flying him over and everything, £13,000 from ONE actor on ONE day????

xx

As for the whole grouping under one ticket thing, I've said it's unfair in previous posts and I'll try to put it pretty simply to explain my opinion:

Say if I personally wanted to meet ... Tony Todd, Brent Spiner, John-Rhys Davies, Craig Charles, and Warwick Davies.

And someone else wants to meet Five LOTR guests.

Why should THEY be able to get their autos under ONE ticket with a lot of ease, while I would have to queue up FIVE TIMES just because I have slightly different tastes? I'm paying the entrance fee just like they are, and so surely I should get treated equally?

Sorry, that's just how I see it.  It might be a pretty simple idea, but I would just expect all attendees to get treated the same and with no preferential treatment just because you have a particular taste or whatever.  I'm sure people will disagree, but with Collectormania and the single queues for single guests, EVERYONE got treated the same which is EXACTLY how it should be.  It should not be changed at all.  I don't care whether it *worked* at other shows or whatever, of course it worked if YOU liked the guests that were grouped together!  While what about other people who had to go from queue to queue to queue?

If I have to suffer, then I think everyone else should too, sorry!  :firedevil:

I thought we had resolved the whole grouping thing?!?! I think the idea that came accross as "actors being grouped" was WHAT I SAID IN A PREVIOUS POST!!!

"they SIT NEXT TO EACH OTHER but each person has their OWN QUEQUE!!!!! it was great cause you could still see everyone even if you couldn't afford to meet them all! xx" (e.g c4 with Star Trek guests)

Edited by surfy_sah

And I never said, no lets not pay for autographs, never said I minded about paying to get in. What I mind is that just because people can't/don't want/would rather not have an autograph for whatever reason but would still just want to walk up and shake their hand and get a photo, why they have to be the ones who have done just the same as those people who do buy the autographs, but there's a chance they don't get to meet the people. That is what is unfair. And even if you do buy and autograph, all you get is a minute or two with the guest same as before.

This event is run by the same people. The same people who did bring Elijah and Dom and Sean etc to Collectormania. And the way CM is run is the same all the time and on the whole people are happy. So why all of a sudden, just because something has a different name and a different venue does it automatically mean that people get a different treatment. Obviously there is profit from CM otherwise it wouldn't be continuing. Surely running LCC the same way would work prehaps even better because you will not have people who are just there to look at someone from a film on their shopping trip.

ahhhhh !!! I get you!!! I must admit that it never occurred to me that some people wouldn't want an auto as in because they don't collect autos or don't want some one's name (if that makes sense)

maybe they could have a £5 charge for pics???

I wanted to meet RD cast but thinking bout it, I dunno what I'd do with their auto?!?!! :firedevil::firedevil: xx

I have met the whole Red Dwarf Cast before and they only charged £10 each apart from Chris Barrie who wanted £15, they were all really nice people and if I could I would meet them all again.

When it comes down to autograph prices, even if they charge £20 its still cheaper than how much the dealers want so I dont have a problem with the popular guests wanting £15 or £20, I go to these events assuming everyone is £15 and then I add an extra £50 so I always have enough, in the end its up to you whether you pay for the autograph or not and to be honest, that is what these shows are mainly for, like SM have said many times, its upto the guest whether they will allow photos so going just to get photos isnt the best idea, I go to meet the guests, have them sign an autograph and if I can, have a photo, I dont make the photo a priority though because I have gone upto more than one guest where I have been told a photo is no longer allowed.

As for grouping guests, I think that is a good idea to place for example Star Trek guests together but they should all have their own queue, it allows more people to meet them and after all isnt that what is important, letting the fans meet as many of the guests as possible.

And I never said, no lets not pay for autographs, never said I minded about paying to get in. What I mind is that just because people can't/don't want/would rather not have an autograph for whatever reason but would still just want to walk up and shake their hand and get a photo, why they have to be the ones who have done just the same as those people who do buy the autographs, but there's a chance they don't get to meet the people. That is what is unfair. And even if you do buy and autograph, all you get is a minute or two with the guest same as before.

This event is run by the same people. The same people who did bring Elijah and Dom and Sean etc to Collectormania. And the way CM is run is the same all the time and on the whole people are happy. So why all of a sudden, just because something has a different name and a different venue does it automatically mean that people get a different treatment. Obviously there is profit from CM otherwise it wouldn't be continuing. Surely running LCC the same way would work prehaps even better because you will not have people who are just there to look at someone from a film on their shopping trip.

ahhhhh !!! I get you!!! I must admit that it never occurred to me that some people wouldn't want an auto as in because they don't collect autos or don't want some one's name (if that makes sense)

maybe they could have a £5 charge for pics???

I wanted to meet RD cast but thinking bout it, I dunno what I'd do with their auto?!?!! :wub::lol: xx

There's lot sof reason why people can't and won't have autographs. I'm on a low wage and what I have goes to college fees etc and getting to conventions. I want to meet my friends who I hardly see and I want to see the cast who I admire so much. But I already have some autographs, if I have money to splash about I would get them to sign stuff, but at this moment I cannot afford to go into debt. It's all very well saying life's too short but when you're educations involved it can't always be the case. All I want to do is go up shake their hand, give them the present me and my friends have made and ask for a photo. It's worked before and there was never a complaint. So why should it suddenly be different now?

Now the earlier suggestion of tickets for people who want autographs, and tickets for people who don't would be perfectly reasonable in the sense that it gives people the chance to meet them. Saying to someone you have to pay to get in but then at the end of the day thre's a good chance it'll all be a waste of time. Not everyone can get down there both days and we all know how upsetting it can be for someone when they have to walk away at the end of it not having met the person they want. Also not everyone can stay all the day. If there was that kinda of ticket system, it would certainly help people decided what they're going to do.

Only problem with seperate photo times is that at other events, photo sessions often cost more than the autograph (£20-£40) and that would just make things worse as it would only be people with money allowed photos then.

An idea though would be to go with someone who is going to buy an autograph, get a ticket and queue up with them, you could then take a photo of them with the guest and then they could take a photo of you with the guest, dont think there would be anything wrong with that or would there?

• Showmasters Admin

You know, when it comes to people getting autographs having preferential treatment in the queue's, nothing has changed! It has always been the case that just getting a photo with a guest is only allowed if there is no, or very little queue. The main point of the actors being there is to sign autographs, and so that is obviously what is given priority. If time permits, and this may be the end of the day, or the middle, or whenever, and a guest does not have a long queue then photos without autographs can be done, as then there is no reason not to allow it.

I would remind people as well, that many conventions, and guests at other events charge extra for a photo! We allow photos for free, but there has to come a point where some commercial sense is applied, and in this case that means that autographs are given priority. Just remember, that does not mean that you won't be able to just get a photo, but I am afraid that you will have to wait for the queue's to die down. I'm sorry, but I fail to see why this is not fair.

You know, when it comes to people getting autographs having preferential treatment in the queue's, nothing has changed! It has always been the case that just getting a photo with a guest is only allowed if there is no, or very little queue. The main point of the actors being there is to sign autographs, and so that is obviously what is given priority. If time permits, and this may be the end of the day, or the middle, or whenever, and a guest does not have a long queue then photos without autographs can be done, as then there is no reason not to allow it.

I would remind people as well, that many conventions, and guests at other events charge extra for a photo! We allow photos for free, but there has to come a point where some commercial sense is applied, and in this case that means that autographs are given priority. Just remember, that does not mean that you won't be able to just get a photo, but I am afraid that you will have to wait for the queue's to die down. I'm sorry, but I fail to see why this is not fair.

I totally agree. The whole point is to get your fav actors auto. I think it would be unfair for them to let those who don't spend hours waiting patiently in line to get a photo with the star. Taking photos from affar is fine but as Showmasters said unless the queue is small they can't let people just get photos, it would be unfair.

About the cost, it's cheap compared to the price you would pay for the auto online and you get to meet your fav actor too! I'm a student but i still don't think it's unreasonable. If you take your chances maybe one day you'll be in the right place at the right time and meet them in the street, where it would be free. But good luck.

Mark, What a complete spelling out you have just made m8, it makes complete sense.

The actors are there to make money (Who wouldnt want to sign there name all day and get paid for it!), its not fair on the people who have been queing for ages waiting to get an auto to stand behind someone just wanting to get a photo and give the actor something, priority MUST be given to paying customers.

I agree totally that if there is No one in the que,thats a different matter, but usually there is, so at the end of the day you can take your chance for a photo and coming to a convention not to get autos is a bit strange as thats the whole point?

BuFF

...As for grouping guests, I think that is a good idea to place for example Star Trek guests together but they should all have their own queue, it allows more people to meet them and after all isnt that what is important, letting the fans meet as many of the guests as possible.

I am FINALLY understood and even better, people AGREE with me!!!!!!

yeah baby!!!!! :rolleyes: xx

can I just say (and its probably been mentioned before!) the only fair way of selling tickets is in advance only. People know whether they're going to be disappointed or not before they get to the event.

i know its never going to happen in a million years, but you wouldn't turn up to a concert without a ticket would you (touts aside), I know its all about money at the end of the day, but it saves a lot of upset and disappointment.

Liz

Can I just make a comment on the idea of grouping guests. In principle it soubds like a good idea but as Subject_117 said it actually REDUCES your chance of seeing the guests you want (I did queuing theory at University as well) the maths is very complicated so I'm not even going to attempt to explain why that's the case. If you don't believe me get a book on queuing theory and look at the sections related to negative exponentially distributed queues.

However there is another problem. I'm going to meet the Batman guests (Val Kilmer, Adam West) so if we group Batman together for me that's fine.

But what if someone's going to meet the Willow guests (Val Kilmer, Warwick Davies, Pat Roach) which group is Val Kilmer in.

Of course I also want to see the Trek guests and that's good because we can group them without problems (Brent Spiner, Levar Burton and John Rhys Davies) John Rhys Davies was a reoccurring character for one season of Voyager. For the person who doesn't like LOTR (sorry they do exist) do they need to get an LOTR ticket, perhaps stopping someone else from getting a ticket for that group just to meet the one Trek actor in the group.

Similarly several of the B7 cast have also been in Dr. Who so Tom Baker shouldn't be alone in the Dr. Who group. And so on ....

The point is grouping actors causes problems not just with the queues themselves but also when it comes to deciding which groups an actor appears in. Most actors at LFCC or C5 have long varied careers so they'll be loads of chance for overlap and just because you want to see JRD because he was in LOTR doesn't mean the person behind you doesn't want to see him because he was in Raiders of the Lost Ark (perhaps we should put him in a group with Pat Roach)

David

I thought the whole point of conventions was to meet the guests. Not the main purpose of getting an autograph. If it were that then Ebay is very useful for that kinda of thing.

And everyone who goes into that convention will be a paying customer. They pay to get in. If someone hasn't got the patience to wait a minute or so while someone says hello to a guest and gives a present etc just because they don' get an autograph (Because it suddenly changes when they wish to have a signature I see) then that is their own problem but I never had any argument against it and I never say anyone else about me who did.

Obviously even getting Showmasters to concider an idea such as that earlier proposed for people who wis to have photos to have tickets which would allow them in at a certain time later in the day is like banging your head against a brick wall!

I thought the whole point of conventions was to meet the guests. Not the main purpose of getting an autograph. If it were that then Ebay is very useful for that kinda of thing.

And everyone who goes into that convention will be a paying customer. They pay to get in. If someone hasn't got the patience to wait a minute or so while someone says hello to a guest and gives a present etc just because they don' get an autograph (Because it suddenly changes when they wish to have a signature I see) then that is their own problem but I never had any argument against it and I never say anyone else about me who did.

Obviously even getting Showmasters to concider an idea such as that earlier proposed for people who wis to have photos to have tickets which would allow them in at a certain time later in the day is like banging your head against a brick wall!

What and you would trust buying all your autographs from Ebay?, anyone can whack up a COA on a cheap PC/Printer.

I only get an autograph from Ebay when theres photo proof of the guest signing the item, theres no better way of making sure the item is genuine than you getting it in person.