STAR WARS COLLECTION THREAD

Indiana

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondered what people had in their Star Wars collections and what their most treasured possessions are. Let's have some pictures if you can post them.

Obi-Wan :lol:

I dont really have a 'Star Wars' collection but I do have a few things, cant post photos as dont have a scanner, sorry!!!

My favourite is my Millenium Falcon toy which is a game also. Its a bit like the old 'Simon' games (does anyone remember them?) only it has sound extracts from the original films :lol: Also love my Yoda toy!!!

Ive been collecting Star Wars stuff for years. For the past 5 ive mainly focused on vintage stuff and have a full loose collection. I also got into carded figures mainly (got really into POTF for a while) but prices have risen so much ive stopped collecting. I remember going to star wars days in watford and getting great deals (a vintage C9 carded ESB Luke Bespin for the grand sum of £40!!)

Over the past year ive focused on Master Replicas stuff and so far have bought four lightsabers (Dooku, Luke ESB, Windu and Obi Wan Weathered) Id love to get some more but they are quite pricey so i made sure i got the sabers i loved the most.

Other highlights include a Hardcopy head of Han Solo in Carbonite from the 12" line and a near full collection of the new 12" dolls. Seeing as the vintage prices have rocketed, ive also made my own custom cards and now have a POTF Anakin, Yak Face and Luke Stormtrooper

My collection of autographs is also doing well, only need a signed Harrison Ford for my SW 'wall of fame'

Recently finished my DVD collection too when i managed to get bootleg copies of the OT and also the dreaded holiday special.

im kinda burnt out now on SW collecting. There is just so much new stuff coming out that i dont enjoy it as much anymore. Im putting my POTF2 collection up for sale (complete from 1995 to around 1998) as they just sit gathering dust. I dont get the enjoyment out of the new stuff, im just a vintage freak at heart.

Anyway, sorry for the essay, if i think of anymore stuff ill post it

cheers

Supernova

Ive been collecting Star Wars stuff for years. For the past 5 ive mainly focused on vintage stuff and have a full loose collection. I also got into carded figures mainly (got really into POTF for a while) but prices have risen so much ive stopped collecting. I remember going to star wars days in watford and getting great deals (a vintage C9 carded ESB Luke Bespin for the grand sum of £40!!)

Over the past year ive focused on Master Replicas stuff and so far have bought four lightsabers (Dooku, Luke ESB, Windu and Obi Wan Weathered) Id love to get some more but they are quite pricey so i made sure i got the sabers i loved the most.

Other highlights include a Hardcopy head of Han Solo in Carbonite from the 12" line and a near full collection of the new 12" dolls. Seeing as the vintage prices have rocketed, ive also made my own custom cards and now have a POTF Anakin, Yak Face and Luke Stormtrooper

My collection of autographs is also doing well, only need a signed Harrison Ford for my SW 'wall of fame'

Recently finished my DVD collection too when i managed to get bootleg copies of the OT and also the dreaded holiday special.

im kinda burnt out now on SW collecting. There is just so much new stuff coming out that i dont enjoy it as much anymore. Im putting my POTF2 collection up for sale (complete from 1995 to around 1998) as they just sit gathering dust. I dont get the enjoyment out of the new stuff, im just a vintage freak at heart.

Anyway, sorry for the essay, if i think of anymore stuff ill post it

cheers

Supernova

Sounds like you have a very cool collection there. I personally collect prequel stuff mostly. I have a few Original Trilogy bits, such as the Blue Snaggletooth, and all the Power of the Force II carded figures released to date, but I mainly concentrate on the Prequels.

I did try to get some of the vintage stuff, but as you state, it is so expensive nowadays so I just gave up.

What I try to get now is little uniquities from around the world, such as Japanese bottle caps, Frito Lay 3D Squares, the KFC/Pizza Hut?Taco Bell toys and cup toppers. I have a nice Japanese Battle Droid Pepsi can holder and an Episode I Wooden Russian Doll set. I also have the two lifesize Pepsi figures of Darth Maul and Jar Jar Binks, and the cardboard lifesize Battledroid issued by Dorling Kindersley.

I now try to get signed action figures and own the first Anakin Skywalker action figure that Hayden Christensen ever signed. I also have a Carrie Fisher signed Leia figure and a Ewan McGregor signed Obi-Wan figure.

Some of my stuff is displayed in my "Star Wars" room, (which changes its appearance when each film is released) but most of it resides in storage nowadays. There are now some photographs on my website of some of this collection. See my profile for details.

Obi-Wan :rolleyes:

Yeah im getting into signed figures too. Ive found the boxes on the new 12" dolls (The collector series ones with the flap on the front) are great for getting signed. The large photos are great. So far ive got my Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, C-3P0 and my Greedo ones all signed which all make for a great display.

Where did you get the life size maul etc? Last place i saw one of them was in a pizza hut so im assuming they were part of a pepsi promotion? I love that Maul, shame about his facial expression tho

Also i just remembered ive got a POTF 2 Luke Skywalker Tatooine (He-man build from 1995) which has a small lightsaber in the long tray. Now i know short sabers in long trays werent exactly rare but all the price guides i have indicate this is quite a rare error and can command prices of up to $700! I remember getting it in argos for £3.99 and its such an ugly figure, if it wasnt rare i would have sold it a long time ago. Ive seen those Japanese bottle caps and id love to get a set of them, they look wonderful.

So where did you get your signed Ewan fig?

Ill look at your collection pics later as im at work and for some reason its blocking your website!?!?!

Yeah im getting into signed figures too. Ive found the boxes on the new 12" dolls (The collector series ones with the flap on the front) are great for getting signed. The large photos are great. So far ive got my Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, C-3P0 and my Greedo ones all signed which all make for a great display.

Where did you get the life size maul etc? Last place i saw one of them was in a pizza hut so im assuming they were part of a pepsi promotion? I love that Maul, shame about his facial expression tho

Also i just remembered ive got a POTF 2 Luke Skywalker Tatooine (He-man build from 1995) which has a small lightsaber in the long tray. Now i know short sabers in long trays werent exactly rare but all the price guides i have indicate this is quite a rare error and can command prices of up to $700! I remember getting it in argos for £3.99 and its such an ugly figure, if it wasnt rare i would have sold it a long time ago. Ive seen those Japanese bottle caps and id love to get a set of them, they look wonderful.

So where did you get your signed Ewan fig?

Ill look at your collection pics later as im at work and for some reason its blocking your website!?!?!

I've got signed (from memory) 3 3/4: Bib Fortuna (1st POTF2 Issue), C3-P0 (1st POTF2 Issue), Chewbacca (1st POTF2 Issue), Darth Vader (1st POTF2 Issue), Boba Fett (1st POTF2 Issue), Aurra Sing, Aayla Secura, Obi-Wan (Soft Goods), Anakin Skywalker (Outland Peasent Disguise), Princess Leia (Imperial Captive).

12" Scale: R2-D2 (1st POTF2 Issue), C3-P0 (1st POTF2 Issue), Boba Fett (1st POTF2 Issue), Chewbacca (1st POTF2 Issue - Hairy One), Captain Tapals and Kaadu, Darth Maul, and Jango Fett with full accessories.

As I've said this is from memory. A lot of my stuff is in storage and I'm sure there's about seven or so more that I can't remember.

Got Maul and Jar Jar from KFC back in 1999/2000. Long and painful story attatched to them. Basically they let me have Maul and I then rang around enquiring about Jar Jar. Some twit from KFC promised me one then kept delaying and delaying then promised to have it delivered to me and didn't. (He did this several times). So in the end after much messing around on his half I called his head office and complained and they let me have it. Turns out he was leaving the company the weekend I called anyway and had no intention of sorting the problem for me. But in the end I got it.

I have a long sabred Obi-Wan Kenobi POTF2 figure, but I can't remember if I picked up Luke or not. I did have them all but opened a few for display purposes, then went back and bought boxed ones when I decided I preferred them boxed (Doh!)

Regading signed Obi-Wan. I have met Ewan on a few occassions, but when I had the figure I wanted signed I just sent it to him via his Mum and she arranged it for me.

I'd love to get just one Master Replicas piece, and that is Obi-Wan's Episode I or II lightsabre, but alas it has been retired now, and I couldn't afford it when it first came out lol! But this is one piece I would really want.

Obi-Wan :jason:

Cool story about the statues. I tried to get the Maul from Pizza hut but they gave it to a school. Bloody do gooders!

Wow its cool of Ewans mum to sort that out for you. Ive got a signed Ewan pic but im not sure of its authenticity. You a friend of the family then?

As for the Saber, i also really want a prequel Obi Wan. The AOTC version sold out really quick and i was still a student then so i couldnt afford it. There are however rumours of a TPM saber by MR. This would be great as im sure MR would push for a signature edition. Also the TPM saber is a much nicer saber than the AOTC one. The shiny chrome finish on the saber looks a bit nasty so id love to see a phantom menace saber.

So were you the guy who met Hayden at the airport to get your fig signed or am i thinkin of someone else?

Cool story about the statues. I tried to get the Maul from Pizza hut but they gave it to a school. Bloody do gooders!

Wow its cool of Ewans mum to sort that out for you. Ive got a signed Ewan pic but im not sure of its authenticity. You a friend of the family then?

As for the Saber, i also really want a prequel Obi Wan. The AOTC version sold out really quick and i was still a student then so i couldnt afford it. There are however rumours of a TPM saber by MR. This would be great as im sure MR would push for a signature edition. Also the TPM saber is a much nicer saber than the AOTC one. The shiny chrome finish on the saber looks a bit nasty so id love to see a phantom menace saber.

So were you the guy who met Hayden at the airport to get your fig signed or am i thinkin of someone else?

Can you scan it? I can verify pic for you.

Not really a friend of family but she was trying to arrange an interview between me and Ewan for my Uni a few years back, and now I occassionally email her to see when he's free etc, even though I graduated a couple of years ago.

No I met Hayden quite a few times at the show in London in April 2002. He got to know my name in the end, which was cool, and I was the last person he signed for at the Episode II premiere too.

Obi-Wan :D

Wow thats really cool. Id love to meet Hayden but i fear its gonna be harder to do that after Episode 3. Was he a nice guy?

My ewan autograph is in a frame so i cant scan it but i might be able to take a pic with the digicam. Ill be gutted if its fake cos i paid quite a lot of money for it. Got it from a registered autograph company so id like to say im sure its real :D

So what was Ewan like?

Wow thats really cool. Id love to meet Hayden but i fear its gonna be harder to do that after Episode 3. Was he a nice guy?

My ewan autograph is in a frame so i cant scan it but i might be able to take a pic with the digicam. Ill be gutted if its fake cos i paid quite a lot of money for it. Got it from a registered autograph company so id like to say im sure its real :D

So what was Ewan like?

He was very cool. Take a note of my webaddress and look at the Star Wars pics when you can get to another computer, there's one of me and him on there. (Excuse my hair - was growing it for a promotion!).

Ewan is hilarious, very good natured and always cracking jokes. He spent ages signing stuff for everyone who met him. I have about 5 or six pieces signed by him including that Phantom Menace Vanity Fair, a few Obi pics, a Star Wars insider and some other stuff I can't remember.

I used to collect vintage and amassed a pretty impressive hoard over the years including a loose set of figures, a carded set of figures (including a set of Palitoy 12 backs and the next 8 on Palitoy 20 backs.) and much more.

Probably the rarest toy I owned was a large head Han Solo on a 12 back Palitoy card of which only 2 examples are known to exist.

After a bit I decided I had too much money tied up in paper and plastic (I also had an extensive collection of boxed Transformer) so I sold up.

I still have a few of my favourite things (including an original Star Wars Style D one-sheet cinema poster) and I have a SE Trilogy poster with over thirty original trilogy autographs on it which I still add to when I get the chance.

Now I feel I've embarrassed myself enough with fanboy/collector jargon!

*removes anorak*

K

Be proud of the geekyness!!

Obi wan, checked out your site yesterday, great photos man. You have met a lot of people!

Kenny that must have been quite the collection. I found collecting vintage hard enough, but collecting all the Palitoy stuff must have been even harder. I think i read recently on another forum about one of the Palitoy 12 Back large head hans having the bubble destroyed so perhaps there is only one left now.

Kenny, may i just ask how you went about selling up. Did you just advertise and sell everything at once?

Gonna try and post pics of my sabers later so keep an eye out

Edited by Supernova

This may be of some interest to both the Star Wars action figure collecting community and the DVD community.

From Rebelscum.com

Star Wars 2004 Revealed At London Toy Fair

Posted by Jeremy on January 29, 2004:

Our man on the ground called in to report that TLC Marketing plc, Lucasfilm's chosen promotions partner in Europe, made a private, hour-long presentation to the British toy industry in an attempt to raise interest and awareness of the Star Wars license.

Though not as info-packed as the one held in California in October of last year, TLCs address did include the following:

A one-off promotional colour booklet about Star Wars to serve as a reminder and excite retailers and potential licensees,

The official proclamation that the Special Editions of Episodes 4, 5 and 6 would be released on DVD format in October/November of this year,

A dozen new Classic Trilogy figures (as prevously reported by Rebelscum) "in the style of the vintage ones but not exactly the same" will be made available at the same time as the DVD launch.

There will also be a number of re-released vehicles. On display were example packaging, which were described as "black with a starfield effect", of the Millennium Falcon and X-wing.

At the moment details are very sketchy but we expect a more detailed review of what Hasbro has up their sleeve to come in soon.

And for further news on these re-released vintage style figures....

The Kenner Retro Line

Posted by Dave on December 15, 2003:

The following details on the rumored vintage "re-issues" have just come in from a very reliable source:

12 newly sculpted, articulated figures will be released in the original Kenner packaging, with the Kenner logo. These will come packaged in a resealable clamshell, similar to the MOTU re-releases. They will release 4 figures from each movie. (The figures should be) available in summer of 2004. The original Millennium Falcon will also be released in new "vintage" packaging, different from the original but still very cool looking.

Three new 12" figures with "incredible likeness" to the originals, one from each of the original movies. Vintage packaging. Luke is a sure thing, but and a mock-up of Boba Fett was also seen.

Though it is being reported that the new retro figures will have extra articulation, it could easily have been a misinterpretation. Chances are still good that the new figures will have the regular five points of articulation found in the vintage line. Considering these are said to be new sculpts, there is a chance, however unlikely, that these figures will more or less compliment the original line and focus on costumes not yet presented in the original Kenner line.

As of late, there has been an increased interest in the vintage Star Wars line, so if successful, it is possible that could lead to an ongoing Kenner line. Until Hasbro makes a statement though, we’ll be left to speculate.

Obi-Wan ;)

Obi wan, checked out your site yesterday, great photos man. You have met a lot of people!

Gonna try and post pics of my sabers later so keep an eye out

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed the photos. Though that only represents a portion of the people that I have met in total.

Obi-Wan ;)

Im a huge admirer of vintage star wars figures. While Ive never had the money to enter into it properly myself, I love be close to the hobby. I am into the bootlegs though, thats the only area of Vintage star wars I just cannot resist :)

I have only really been collecting the Attack of the Clones line of figures, have Number 1 all the way up to the start of the Clone Wars figures, going on for nearly 100 all still sealed, getting hard to find places for them.

Also have all the exclusive Silver Figures - Darth Vader, R2-D2(signed), Boba Fett(signed), Clone Trooper and have the Jorge Sacul figure.

I was trying to think about what I have thats Star Wars collectable and didnt really think of anything. Now, after a few drinks, its just occured to me what I have.

I have autographs from the original and prequel casts. A complete mint set, including stickers and the C3P0 mistake card, of the 1977 Topps trading cards for Star Wars. A 12" Qui Gon error box with Federation spelt wrong. The C3P0 and R2D2 that Pepsi were giving away during Ep1. But my best piece is the MasterReplica Obi-Wan lightsaber.

I have only really been collecting the Attack of the Clones line of figures, have Number 1 all the way up to the start of the Clone Wars figures, going on for nearly 100 all still sealed, getting hard to find places for them.

I have an entire Star Wars dedicated room and I still have trouble with room for items lol!

Obi-Wan :spidy:

Hmm. Your posts seem to be echoeing.

Just a little bit of news from this weekends Toy Fair at the Excel. Apparently all the Star Wars packaging will be changing again for the end of year product to a black card with silver border and star field background, very similar to the vintage Star Wars line of years ago.

There will also be a few re-releases of older POTF2 figures on these cards, and the rumoured vintage style re-release figures to tie in with the release of the Original Trilogy on DVD this fall.

starwars.com is expected to make an announcement in the coming days/weeks.

Kenny, may i just ask how you went about selling up. Did you just advertise and sell everything at once?

I actually let it go over a period of time through a number of different channels. I sold my Palitoys privately in one lot to get a chunk of money in, while the rest of my carded and boxed stuff was sold gradually at toy fairs. Then when I got a computer, I got rid of the remainder via ebay.

Interesting to hear about the large head Han getting destroyed. Do you know who owned it? Would be curious to find out if it was mine!

Obi-Wan, I was interested to hear about the possible rerelease of vintage figures. There have been various rumours of this over the years, what's your opinion on this? Do you think it will devalue the vintage market? Personally I'm not bothered about them rereleasing existing vintage figures but I think a continuation of the vintage-style line would be fun (but only if they ditched the Hasbro logo and resurrected Kenner)

Kenny

Obi-Wan, I was interested to hear about the possible rerelease of vintage figures. There have been various rumours of this over the years, what's your opinion on this? Do you think it will devalue the vintage market? Personally I'm not bothered about them rereleasing existing vintage figures but I think a continuation of the vintage-style line would be fun (but only if they ditched the Hasbro logo and resurrected Kenner)

Kenny

Hi Kenny

I'm not sure it would devalue the existing vintage line. After all I believe all the vintage figures have their year of release stamped into part of their body somewhere, so it should be fairly easy for vintage collectors to distinguish one of the remoulds from an original (when loose of course, the packaging will be the other factor when carded), and I think there will always be those who will want the absolute original rather than a reissue.

I think it might be fun to have some vintage style re-releases, especially as all my originals were well played with and have paint missing in some areas. I also think it would be fun to see vintage stlying added to current characters such as Darth Maul and Jango Fett. (Though I do hope this is a limited series. My wife would kill me if I started another collection from scratch!)

I've just started to collect the animated versions of the Clone Wars characters, and I am really impressed with them. They offer a nice variation on the existing line.

Incidentally I seem to remember a few vintage figures being re-released on a large black card in the USA as a store exclusive a few years back, maybe in 1997 for the 20th Anniversary release? Anyone else remember this? I'm certain it happened.

I believe in 1997 Toys R Us released that exclusive 4 pack which was a variation on the vintage early bird kit. The figures were Luke, Han, Chewie and another i cant remember (perhaps a vader?). The sculpting was changed so it was pretty easy to tell they were not original figures. Also came with 4 Topps promo cards. Looks like a pretty nice set but ive never had the chance to buy it.

Kenny im pretty sure i read on the vintage section of the rebelscum forums about the large head han. I remeber the post mainly cos the guy was soooo cut up about it. Try doing a search on the forum and you might be able to find it

I for one am quite looking forward to this *new* vintage line. Ive heard that the figs will be again different from the vintage line and they might have added articulation. I hope its not gonna be a bunch of re issue figs tho. Seeing as we never got figs like Wedge or Biggs ive just made my own and custom carded them. Can hardly tell the difference. Id love to see some prequel style figs like Jango Fett or a Mace Windu

cheers guys

Supernova

I believe in 1997 Toys R Us released that exclusive 4 pack which was a variation on the vintage early bird kit. The figures were Luke, Han, Chewie and another i cant remember (perhaps a vader?). The sculpting was changed so it was pretty easy to tell they were not original figures. Also came with 4 Topps promo cards. Looks like a pretty nice set but ive never had the chance to buy it.

Kenny im pretty sure i read on the vintage section of the rebelscum forums about the large head han. I remeber the post mainly cos the guy was soooo cut up about it. Try doing a search on the forum and you might be able to find it

I for one am quite looking forward to this *new* vintage line. Ive heard that the figs will be again different from the vintage line and they might have added articulation. I hope its not gonna be a bunch of re issue figs tho. Seeing as we never got figs like Wedge or Biggs ive just made my own and custom carded them. Can hardly tell the difference. Id love to see some prequel style figs like Jango Fett or a Mace Windu

cheers guys

Supernova

Yes, that's the one I mean. It came on black packaging as far as I remember just like the Early Bird stuff. I wish I had just one vintage item carded, but it's all just too damned expensive nowadays.

Changing the topic slightly. Did any of you attend the midnight madness at Toys R Us in 1999 and 2002?. Did you get the Toy Fair Vader?

My question is what kind of stuff do you hope will be around for the 2005 release of Episode III. Do you just want a range of vehicles and figures etc, or would you be happier with the fast food promotions and kind of exposure Star Wars received merchandise wise when The Phantom Menace came out?

Again, I'd be interested to hear anyones views before I voice my own.