Waters of Mars

cyberdrunk

They have said it will gradually get darker in Doctor Who. Apparently they want to use the influence of Harry Potter, Twilight etc and the way it is presented as a way of bringing the scare factor back into DW like it was decades ago when people hid behind the sofa when the monsters came on.

They have said it will gradually get darker in Doctor Who. Apparently they want to use the influence of Harry Potter, Twilight etc and the way it is presented as a way of bringing the scare factor back into DW like it was decades ago when people hid behind the sofa when the monsters came on.

Good. It's about time it got darker again..

Although comparing it to Twiglet is a bit nyaah

Good. It's about time it got darker again..

Although comparing it to Twiglet is a bit nyaah

Totally agree, Twilight is completely non-scary (unless you think about the idea that millions of young people are believing that a manipulative, controliing relationship where you sacrifice everything is the way to go. Ahem, sorry about that, got a bit carried away there)

Tbh, I think Dr Who has some very scary moments, The Empty Child, the werewolf, Blink, the autons, Cybermen, Midnight. Very very creepy, and very scary, mainly because being a 'kids' show, they can't show all the aliens, the blood, the gore, and so your imagination fills in the blanks!

Yep, superb piece of television, wonderful acting all round and what a bas**d The Doctor was at the end! This is what Doctor Who should be about!

With the amount of fans who fawn over him like he's some popstar (that's no criticism btw! It's just that i find popstars to be very poor and tacky!) I find its hard to remember what an incredible actor David Tennant is. Just watch the last two minutes and you'll find out why!

For those who missed it, here's the IPlayer link

Can't wait until Christmas niw, actually looking at my wallet - I can! ;)

Edited by cyberdrunk

Absolutely loved it, a fantastic story. I'm going to miss the 10th Doctor when he's gone but am looking forward to this year's remaining speciails, The End of Time is here and I wouldn't miss it for the world. Gadget, gadget. :D

Edited by Doctor Who

Yep, superb piece of television, wonderful acting all round and what a bas**d The Doctor was at the end! This is what Doctor Who should be about!
Agreed - it's nice to see the more arrogant, superior side of the Doctor now and again. As long as they don't do it too often it works great. It ceriainly gives David Tennant more to work with which he does brilliantly.

With the amount of fans who fawn over him like he's some popstar (that's no criticism btw! It's just that i find popstars to be very poor and tacky!) I find its hard to remember what an incredible actor David Tennant is. Just watch the last two minutes and you'll find out why!

For those who missed it, here's the IPlayer link

Can't wait until Christmas niw, actually looking at my wallet - I can! :D

totaly disagree, that is not the doctor, he is not evil and arrogant like that, he knows better, he is better than that, if you have followed who from the 60's to now you would know thats not who the doctor is, thats who the master is, it really annoyed me when this happened. ok he regretted it and the reasoning tennant and rtd gave on confidential were feasable but they seem to forget the doctor exsisted before tennant! yes it was good acting and dramatic but it wasnt who the doctor is in my opinion. he would never so flipantly call someone little insignificant ppl, in fathers day alone he calls one man the most important thing in the world cos he was alive when he shouldnt be, but then thats RTD all over, breaking his own rules a week after making them lol, ROSE im looking at you, and soon ill be looking at you donna lol

roll on moffat and smith i say

the episode itsself? humm mixed bag, decent premise, good aliens, good effects, some nice scenes and acting but the threat wasnt explored to its full potential, the effects were all seen in the trailers and it had some silly bits like riding the robot reminisant of riding the stand up bikes in RB, also to many hero doctor shots again. shame as this could of been a classic, put on top the totaly out of character behaviour of the doc at the end when he takes them back to earth and its another disapointing ep for me,

POTD was very average, TND was the worst ive ever seen, def in new who anyway, total tosh, I think RTD has wasted these specials, still even though we have ANOTHER present day earth companion fest including those who cant return or remember yet they will finale at least we have the magnificant simm as the master returning at xmas.

Waters Of Mars was great... I will miss this Doctor and I'm not quite sure if the next Doctor can replace him, because he looks to young.

Gadget - Gadget (:wub:)

I SHARED YOUR CONCERN AT FIRST BUT (sorry caps) I to wanted an older doctor, but I think matt smith might just proove to be an inspired choice. and with the masterfull moffat at the helm, next year is looing good!

Agreed - it's nice to see the more arrogant, superior side of the Doctor now and again. As long as they don't do it too often it works great. It ceriainly gives David Tennant more to work with which he does brilliantly.

sometimes its good to see a more superior side slightly arrogant side but he is never as evil and flippant as he acted at the end when talking to adeline, thats not who the doctor is, it was like listening to the master, it would be fine for a lead character but the doctor has been around since the 60s he has back story, histor, even in new who since 2005, thats not who he is!

totaly disagree, that is not the doctor, he is not evil and arrogant like that, he knows better, he is better than that, if you have followed who from the 60's to now you would know thats not who the doctor is, thats who the master is, it really annoyed me when this happened.

The Doctor wasn't evil in the Waters of Mars, he was just very arrogant and had a air of superiority about him. That is what The Doctor has been like ever since the first episode in 1963. From the first story onwards, Hartnell's Doctor is totally dismissive of Ian and Barbara and treats then like primitives, trapping them in the TARDIS, taking the mickey out of them and taking them around space and time against their will. There's many episodes, with different Doctors where he is scornful of the local populous and believes as a Time Lord, he knows better. The 6th Doctor's character was all about being abrasive and arrogant. The 7th Doctor liked to play games with time, destoryed Skaro and treated Ace like crap. The new series has started to slowly develop the character back to what a Time Lord should be like.

The classic series didn't potray the Time Lords in a good light, they were always arrogant and abrasive, very much like The Doctor was at the end of Waters of Mars.

Edited by cyberdrunk

totaly disagree, that is not the doctor, he is not evil and arrogant like that, he knows better, he is better than that, if you have followed who from the 60's to now you would know thats not who the doctor is, thats who the master is, it really annoyed me when this happened.

The Doctor wasn't evil in the Waters of Mars, he was just very arrogant and had a air of superiority about him. That is what The Doctor has been like ever since the first episode in 1963. From the first story onwards, Hartnell's Doctor is totally dismissive of Ian and Barbara and treats then like primitives, trapping them in the TARDIS, taking the mickey out of them and taking them around space and time against their will. There's many episodes, with different Doctors where he is scornful of the local populous and believes as a Time Lord, he knows better. The 6th Doctor's character was all about being abrasive and arrogant. The 7th Doctor liked to play games with time, destoryed Skaro and treated Ace like crap. The new series has started to slowly develop the character back to what a Time Lord should be like.

The classic series didn't potray the Time Lords in a good light, they were always arrogant and abrasive, very much like The Doctor was at the end of Waters of Mars.

the way tennant played it was evilish, it was like listening to the master, when he has been like that in the classic series it was post regeneration, or hartnell in his earlier stories.

and like I said the way he was so flippant about the survivors being little ppl aside adeline, that isnt who the doctor is in new who let alone classic.

now I can understand fans opinions on who the doctor is can be varied but as a life long fan watching tennant in that scene with adeline made me angry, the only thing that saved it for me was his imidiant remorse.

back to the episode, think ive covered it, was an ok ep, some scenes like were that woman is trapped and speaking to her family on the moniter was very moving, some scenes were well done, but the monsters were not fully explored to there potential more focas seems to of been on "look tennant is leaving, he is gonna die, no really he is, promise, look at him fall into the dark side before it happens" maybe im more critical because im a little bored of tennant and RTD now and looking forward to moffats who, but do we really need the bike style scenes? and hero slo mo back lit doctor shots in every ep?

decent ep but with a few big bad points for me. much better than the previous 2 though, but really didnt like how they portrayed the doc in the last adeline scene, still very moving her killing herself to maintain the timeline.