GUEST CANCELLATION John Barrowman

showmasters

but if we're getting a guest replacement

No disrespect, but as terrific as all the actors mentioned undoubtedly are, not one of them is a replacement for the actor who plays Torchwood's leading man. Captain Jack Harkness (as played by John Barrowman) is in a league of his own.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect, but as terrific as all the actors mentioned undoubtedly are, not one of them is a replacement for the actor who plays Torchwood's leading man. Captain Jack Harkness (as played by John Barrowman) is in a league of his own.

I completely agree with you on that but what I mean by replacement is the people we may not have got if John didn't unfortunately have to cancel. John is the main character, a fantastic actor and a lovely guy so I understand what you mean and agree, I should have used a different word, sorry. :P I'm sure everyone who is booked will be lovely though. ;)

Edited by Doctor Who

Just my opinion, as a Gold ticket holder, and with all due respect to everyone here....

I KNOW it's a TW convention, not a JB fan-fest.

I KNOW that guests attend depending on their work committments.

I KNOW that there are several other guests already invited.

I KNOW that "caveat emptor" is a good rule of thumb.

BUT (and there's always a "but"), JB was named as a guest for Hub 3 during Hub 2, and the anticipation was built up for his presence before Hub 3 tickets went on sale. I don't blame SM: JB is a huge star and a big draw at events such as the Hub or CM. So the disappointment among fans is completely understandable, despite the small print. The "risk" associated with buying a ticket based on the (possible) attendance of one star has been pointed out many times, but I am certain that there were several people who bought their tickets because John had been announced and because he is hugely popular with TW fans. That, obviously, was the whole point of SM inviting him to attend!

Before Hub 2, Jason wrote that

"everyone going to this event will be the first to be able to buy tickets for the HUB 3

and this morning we booked the 1st guest for the HUB3 this is something to remember as we know that when the 1st guest is announced tickets will be in much demand

we will be announcing this guest for the HUB 3 on Sat

the HUB 2 is going to be a crazy con but the HUB 3 will be insane"

So it's not unreasonable to say that the expectation seems to have been that the name of the first guest to be announced (JB) was going to be a big factor in people's decisions whether or not to buy a ticket for Hub 3. I think it is the announcement of the leading man's name BEFORE tickets went on sale that has led to the discomfort among some fans. Whether SM agree with that or not, it might be prudent in the future to start selling tickets for future conventions BEFORE the *big name* is announced so that no-one can feel they were being misled in any way should that guest then have to cancel.

Edited by Bev

I think it is the announcement of the leading man's name BEFORE tickets went on sale that has led to the discomfort among some fans. Whether SM agree with that or not, it might be prudent in the future to start selling tickets for future conventions BEFORE the *big name* is announced so that no-one can feel they were being misled in any way should that guest then have to cancel.
Understandable to a point. The problem is it is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. I have lost count of the number of posts that I have seen stating that people will not commit to purchasing a ticket for an event until they know what guests are attending - ideally big names.

What you've said is perfectly reasonable and I can totally see your point, but think about the ticket sales and when they happened - a large chunk of the Gold and Silver were sold at Hub 2 so whilst the sales were no doubt increased by the announcement, the majority of people buying them were already at the Hub. Maybe SM are guilty of bigging up the announcement, but why wouldn't they? They had a recorded message from the man himself, they would have been mad not to use that. I really don't think there would have been any difference if they announced him on the Saturday at the Hub2 or Wednesday after the tickets had gone on sale - the people who are only interested in him would still be asking for refunds and complaining because they still wouldn't like Torchwood and would still only attend anything that he's at.

It's a lose lose really - announce early, get ticket sales to fund other guests, risk this situation or announce late, then have loads of people complaining that there are no gold left (remember the hoo ha over the extra 50 gold before?)

Once again, people seem to be forgetting the condition of buying the ticket that says it's non-refundable & non-transferable. It tells you that BEFORE you buy the ticket. You don't HAVE to buy it if you think you'll want a refund if someone cancels.

For example, I bought silver for The Hub 3 even though there was only a 50% chance I could go - I wanted to have photoshoots included and a decent seat in talks if I went. I had to accept that I'd lose my money if I couldn't go. I also have gold for Muggle Mayhem 2 even though it's not until November next year. Again, it's just a risk I take. I know that I won't get my money back if I can't go but I still chose to take that risk.

I appreciate all these points, and you will note that I have not mentioned the word "refund" at all. And I am speaking in deliberately general terms, having read some of the previous comments on this thread and having spoken privately to other attendees.

"Non-transferable/ non-refundable/ read the small print" - all very true. It's a Catch-22 situation, but with the show's leading man having to cancel his appearance, "lose-lose" takes on a slightly different meaning for some people.

• Moderators

In the end, as with anything in life, you just get some people who consider their own needs and wants, and the wider picture is completely irrelevant to them.

You sadly grow to expect such behaviour over the years.

I can understand why some people are upset, I am quite myself, but it can't be helped and when Showmasters and Massive Events booked John for the event, no one was to know that he'd take on the role of Zaza in La Cage Aux Folles many months later. It makes sense that they advertised the event with him as the headliner as they weren't to know that he was going to be offered the role and unfortunately have to cancel. It didn't work out this time, they tried their best though and fingers crossed if he's booked for The Hub 4, he'll be able to attend that with perhaps a certain Eve Myles. :WINCE:B)

I'm content to wait and see which big name SM will bring in to headline this convention now that JB cannot attend :lol:

Me too, I think everyone already knows who I want to be announced for the event. :D

Edited by Doctor Who

It was announced that JB would be playing Albin/Zaza in La Cage back in May.......

John was announced for The Hub 3 back in March, the time of The Hub 2, and there would have been conversations before booking him and contracts which needed to be signed too. They couldn't have possibly known. :WINCE:

Edited by Doctor Who

It was announced that JB would be playing Albin/Zaza in La Cage back in May.......

John was announced for The Hub 3 back in March, the time of The Hub 2, and there would have been conversations before booking him and contracts which needed to be signed too. They couldn't have possibly known. :WINCE:

Just pointing out that March to May is not "many months later", as you claimed earlier.

Nevertheless, I am eagerly awaiting a new big-name headliner for Hub 3 :lol:

I'm content to wait and see which big name SM will bring in to headline this convention now that JB cannot attend :WINCE:

Again, not aimed at you personally but at everyone looking for 'replacements'. There may not be any more guests announced, SM/ME are under no obligation to provide a minimum number or a minimum 'calibre'. I'm not saying you're demanding them or anything, but if people are going to go down the 'John's cancelled so we'll get someone big to replace him' they could find themselves disappointed again. We have 10 included and one sponsored guest, and there doesn't need to be a 'headliner' as such (there wasn't really one at Hub 2) - and I'm not being negative, just saying high hopes will be dashed harder than no hopes :lol:

• Moderators

Nevertheless, I am eagerly awaiting a new big-name headliner for Hub 3 :WINCE:

Just to say I assume this is just hoping on your part, as nothing has been said about one being announced. Only that other guests are being worked on.

I just don't want anyone being misled into thinking that's what they'll be getting. Of course it's possible, but it hasn't been suggested by anyone.

This is why I would probably never bother going for a gold ticket. At hub 2 I had a silver as they hadn't sold out as quickly as this time and I felt like treating myself since I hadn't been to a convention for years. But unlike TurkFox I won't take the risk of buying any ticket unless I know I can go. Hence why I only have a standard this time. Which does work out fine for me as the only extras I want are photo shoots with Gareth and James (John would have been on my list but I dare say there will be another time)

If I was going just for one person I'd do the same. The only extra bonus is the cocktail party in the gold tickets - I never sit at the front, I sit at the back and nurse a hangover! - I don't really think I'd find it worth it. I go for the parties and to see friends I never see anywhere else!

I had a bonus last time getting Matt Rippy into my knickers and how very fetching he looked in them! And he started it BTW :WINCE: So there was an unusual extra to the weekend.

There are never any illusions made about the fact that guests might cancel, you buy tickets at your own risk.

I'm sure there was a point in that somewhere, or was it just waffle! :lol:

Nevertheless, I am eagerly awaiting a new big-name headliner for Hub 3 :WINCE:

Just to say I assume this is just hoping on your part, as nothing has been said about one being announced. Only that other guests are being worked on.

I just don't want anyone being misled into thinking that's what they'll be getting. Of course it's possible, but it hasn't been suggested by anyone.

I'm sure that, with all the contacts and goodwill SM have developed over the years, we won't be disappointed :lol:

Of course i'm disapointed that John is no longer coming, but I think it didn't seem as bad because i had only expected him to come for 1 day anyway due to Le Cage.

I do however think that people who have got gold tickets (or any ticket) and are now complaining and claiming refunds or exchanges shouldn't have spent nearly £200 on a ticket just to see one guest. If people did do that then i'm not saying it's entirely silly, but it's just you can never be sure.

I go to the hub because I like torchwood and I love the experience and meeting all the guests, so to pin all your hopes on one guest coming isn't the best idea.

Just pointing out that March to May is not "many months later", as you claimed earlier.

Nevertheless, I am eagerly awaiting a new big-name headliner for Hub 3 :lol:

I can see your point - I think as soon as he was announced for La Cage in May it became apparent that his appearnace at The Hub was not 100% certain. I also think it may not just be La Cage that is preventing him from coming - he seems to be doing quite a few TV appearances and radio shows, as well as book signings so I'm guessing everything has just contributed to him not being able to make The Hub.

Of course i'm disapointed that John is no longer coming, but I think it didn't seem as bad because i had only expected him to come for 1 day anyway due to Le Cage.

I do however think that people who have got gold tickets (or any ticket) and are now complaining and claiming refunds or exchanges shouldn't have spent nearly £200 on a ticket just to see one guest. If people did do that then i'm not saying it's entirely silly, but it's just you can never be sure.

I go to the hub because I like torchwood and I love the experience and meeting all the guests, so to pin all your hopes on one guest coming isn't the best idea.

I agree. I read the small print! But by the same token, tickets for Hub 3 went on sale with only one guest name having been announced. That name was John Barrowman - "Captain Jack Harkness" - the leading man in Torchwood.

Bev, I really want to thank you for your post, which comes very close to some of what my partner and I have felt about this situation since the cancellation was announced. We were there, too, at Hub2, hearing and seeing all those things. My partner got up early and queued at 6:30 in the morning, in hopes not just of getting a ticket to Hub3, but a low-number gold ticket, so (as very short people) we would be able to see and hear JB better-- led on by that announcement the night before.

And DavidB, I think what you just posted was an incredibly insensitive thing to say about those of us who are upset that JB's much-hyped-at-Hub2's appearance at Hub3 has been cancelled. I don't know why that should bother me any more than what other posters have been saying, as it seems anyone who is upset about this situation and is saying so, gets jumped on by everyone else, told off, etc., etc. No, I do know why--it's because you're a moderator here, someone in a position of *authority* so to speak. And I think it's just awful that you've basically slagged off everyone who has had the temerity to be upset about this and said so.

And sazzra, to quote you: " the people who are only interested in him would still be asking for refunds and complaining because they still wouldn't like Torchwood and would still only attend anything that he's at."

Not necessarily. We liked John in Torchwood--his role as Captain Jack (first in DW) was what introduced us to him. We were fans of Torchwood and as such felt that JB headlining a TW convention was the best thing ever and we were really looking forward to that, esp. as we do not have other opportunities to see him in any other context. We're not the kind of people who can afford to go to everything he's in everywhere.

We were also looking forward to CoE. But that was before it aired, before they destroyed the show and characters we loved best and basically killed the Torchwood we knew and loved. That made JB's appearance all the more important at Hub3, and was also why a lot of us pleaded for SM to get Gareth. For an awful lot of us, this Hub was going to be, eseentially, a goodbye, because we knew that even if they brought TW back, it wasn't going to be even remotely the show we had loved. This is why so many of us are not *appeased* by the fact that the majority of guests are actually FROM CofE--the very thing that destroyed TW for many of us.

But by the same token, tickets for Hub 3 went on sale with only one guest name having been announced. That name was John Barrowman - "Captain Jack Harkness" - the leading man in Torchwood.

There were 5 guests when the tickets went on sale I think. John, Daniela Denby-Ashe, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Lara Phillipart and Ben Loyd-Holmes.

• Moderators

And DavidB, I think what you just posted was an incredibly insensitive thing to say about those of us who are upset that JB's much-hyped-at-Hub2's appearance at Hub3 has been cancelled. I don't know why that should bother me any more than what other posters have been saying, as it seems anyone who is upset about this situation and is saying so, gets jumped on by everyone else, told off, etc., etc. No, I do know why--it's because you're a moderator here, someone in a position of *authority* so to speak. And I think it's just awful that you've basically slagged off everyone who has had the temerity to be upset about this and said so.

If you believe I have been insensitive then I can only apologise for whatever upset you.

As far as I'm concerned, I've not slagged off anyone directly, nor as a group. If there is something that I can't remember saying, then please feel free to pull me up on it.

If anyone has been 'jumped on', it's because it's a public forum where people can reply, and will do to discuss things. Especially when it's a situation like this where people feel very strongly.

As a moderator, I'm very aware of how these events work, having done this for 6 years now. This is not the first time I've seen some people act as if they are owed something, and they believe they should be treated differently to everyone else because they are upset. It happens on a regular basis.

For example, you get people posting to ask for photo shoot schedules to change because they have to go home. Does anyone really believe that the organiser is going to change a whole schedule based on ONE person's travel plans? It's not only crazy but imho selfish. And there are so many situations in which people believe they should get what they want.

Call me insensitive/slagging people off, but while I sympathise with a lot of people, I don't agree at all with those who believe they should receive preferential or different treatment over others because they have been inconvenienced in many of these situations.