Collectormania Midlands 4

Hustler

no there's no collectormania midlands this yr

Whys this?

I thought its been doing quite well over the past year or so..

Always seemed to be packed whenever we went to the Ricoh or the Metropole Hotel..

We have CM:London instead. I'm sure CM:Midlands will be back though.

i have no problem with travelling to london, but having a midlands CM was great, lets hope it returns sooner rather then later

the dude :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I think (if I correctly read the back of the programme given out at LFCC) there is a Dr WHO event running in tandem with Autographica.

*EDIT* I sort of read it correctly - it appears Autographica 15 is on with Dr WHO in March 2010.

Edited by keithporter23

Even though this time its easier n cheaper to get to Brum as am back in uni in ormskirk, reckon i'll gie it a miss so can gan to CM London despite liking get Moss and Andress auto's. Hopefully something will run alongside the autographica after this.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest as someone who is disabled and living in birmingham its a nice change to have CM in the midlands - London already have Comic Con so it would make sense for CM to be in the midlands.

then from top to bottom it would be

CM Glasgow

CM Manchester

CM Mids/ Autographica

CM MK

Comic Con

thoughts?

If I understand things right, the CM London event has been scheduled as a replacement for the second MK show, rather than the Midlands one, as it wasn't feasible to hold an event like the last CM MK in an open air football stadium in October.

If that is the case then the venue used for Autographica and the last CM Midlands wouldn't really be suitable for a Milton Keynes size show taking into account the numbers that would probably attend with the disruption this would cause to the hotel. Can you imagine holding an event similar in scale to that of the Heroes LFACC or the Hobbit/John Barrowman CMs in a hotel with mildly hysterical fans running all over the place? The Midlands event was much smaller in scale than the average LFACC or MK event so it was possible to hold it in the hotel.

I guess SM had a choice to find somewhere else round the Midlands area that they had not previously used and therefore is an unknown quantity (bear in mind Birminghams best known exhibiton centre is a non starter!) or choose to use Earls Court where they already know the venue and have an existing relationship with the owners, plus London has the advantages of transport and accomodation for the people looking to attend.

agreed to a certain extent, but Birmingham has thousands of hotels so the accomodation thing is a little incorrect, in fact we have a number of world class hotels here and there are other venues available in birmingham apart from the exhibition centre. There is a very suitable venue nect to the Symphony Hall in the city that could accomodate. I was a little baffled as to why the Ricoh arena wasnt used agin but im sure there was a perfectly valid reason, i thought it was a good venue and hopefully could be utilised again

Speaking to someone at the Hiton the other week they reckon i could easily accomodate a huge star such as Heroes or Barrowman so maybe SM could discuss with them regarding this

Mike

True but it does come back to the fact that the London event wasn't ever intended as a replacement for the Midlands show which was only ever planned to be one a year as I understand it.

I know what you mean about other venues in Birmingham but again those venues are unknown quantities in terms of hosting signing events. There might also be issues around availability and costs to hire function rooms.

• Showmasters Admin

SM have their reasons for CM:Midlands not going ahead this autumn.

Only they understand the full picture and so all the conjecture in the world is not going to change this simple fact. SM have made a business decision to not have a CM:Midlands or CM:MK this autumn and instead we have CM:London.

It is only intended to be a one off. CM:MK will be back next June. And I'm sure CM:Midlands will be too.