Jack's Office

owlpost1992

I understand it wasn't a question of ME choosing to opt for the scaletrix over a dressed room like Captain Jack's office at the Hub 2 but more that to dress a room like that understandably costs quite a lot and not quite enough tickets were sold last time to enable them to meet that cost.

Given the choice between money being spent on a guest or a room like the office I'm glad they opted for the guests!

But I'm sure if the Hub 3 sells well enough they'd consider doing another room like that.

Can we have a similar room like Jack's Office at Hub 3? It went down better then the scalectrix.

I'd love to have Jack's office. Maybe other rooms too.

Like a lot of people, I missed Hub 1 so it would be nice to catch up on those things.

I understand it wasn't a question of ME choosing to opt for the scaletrix over a dressed room like Captain Jack's office at the Hub 2 but more that to dress a room like that understandably costs quite a lot and not quite enough tickets were sold last time to enable them to meet that cost.

Given the choice between money being spent on a guest or a room like the office I'm glad they opted for the guests!

But I'm sure if the Hub 3 sells well enough they'd consider doing another room like that.

Actually I'd rather have the room, its like an extra guest looking around TW trying on Jack's coat, Ian talking to fans till 5am and then all of them falling asleep there.

Edit: They had one at first Hub plus 10 guests so its not wholly undo able.

Edited by owl post 1992

After going to CM Midlands at this hotel over the weekend, Im not sure that this sort of room would work this time around.

Not only is this a busy hotel (NEC and airport customers, plus they had other events going on at the hotel at the same time as the showmasters ones), but it isnt as small as the park inn. You would think that would give us more space to have things like this, but in fact it means that most of the hotel is large suites and nothing as small as the room that housed Jacks office at the hub 1.

I would love to have the office there (wasnt present at the first hub) but after seeing what the hotel is like, it will be a different event in that fact that we wont be 'taking over' the hotel like we all did at the park inn lol

Actually I'd rather have the room, its like an extra guest looking around TW trying on Jack's coat, Ian talking to fans till 5am and then all of them falling asleep there.

We;ve been incredibly lucky with the Torchwood events with the number of guests we get for the ticket price with all their autographs included. I think it's been pointed out before that the Torchwood events have had more guests per event than any of the other conventions ME run. I don't think we should under-estimate how much the guests cost, get blaze about how many guests we're entitled to meet or just assume that the cost of doing a room like this can also easily be met.

The office was lovely (although not lovely enough that I'd want to sleep in it - that's what cosy hotel beds are for) but I'd rather have another guest than a (very nice) added bonus like this. And as Beatrix has pointed out the hotel doesn't really lend itself to it anyway.

We;ve been incredibly lucky with the Torchwood events with the number of guests we get for the ticket price with all their autographs included. I think it's been pointed out before that the Torchwood events have had more guests per event than any of the other conventions ME run. I don't think we should under-estimate how much the guests cost, get blaze about how many guests we're entitled to meet or just assume that the cost of doing a room like this can also easily be met.

The office was lovely (although not lovely enough that I'd want to sleep in it - that's what cosy hotel beds are for) but I'd rather have another guest than a (very nice) added bonus like this. And as Beatrix has pointed out the hotel doesn't really lend itself to it anyway.

I agree completely. Captain Jack's office was lovely, and if it could be achieved well without sacrificing a guest, I wouldn't mind having something like that again. However, we've been incredibly lucky with the number and overall quality of the guests that Mark and Jason have procured for given us at both Hubs, and I'd very much love to see that trend continue. (I'm greedy that way. :YAHOO:)

• Showmasters Admin

I'm gonna be rude now and say I'm missing the Park Inn :YAHOO:

It's not rude. I love it too. I had to go there on Friday evening to pick something up on the way to Midlands. Was very odd going there, but not staying.

The staff there are great and we've got to know them well and they know us and nothing is ever too much trouble. Because we do take over the whole hotel it does feel so friendly there.

When I saw the guys there, they missed us too. They had an Anime event there this weekend and from the looks on their faces when they mentioned it, it wasn't going too well for them.

yer yer yor right i went to a stargate convension and there was 5 guests which was great but the hub has way more guests.

also i wouls like to poin tout i was one of hte 2 girls that actualy slept in jacks office and it was AWESOME (but really cold) the reason we di it was we were partying in there till gone 5am with ian as was said before (thanx for the nightmare ian luv u to) then jason said we could look after the office if we wanted, me and 3 of my friends were shareing one hotel rrom ment for 2 as the hotel was full and after not haveing anywhere to sleep comfortable on the friday (and haveing kai make fun of me for it thanx to kris) the office was actually cumfotable. ended up sleeping nder jacks desk with one of his cotes as a blanket listening to john barrowmans album. was interesting and the next day when the cast found out they found it amusing.

I'm gonna be rude now and say I'm missing the Park Inn :D

It's not rude. I love it too. I had to go there on Friday evening to pick something up on the way to Midlands. Was very odd going there, but not staying.

The staff there are great and we've got to know them well and they know us and nothing is ever too much trouble. Because we do take over the whole hotel it does feel so friendly there.

When I saw the guys there, they missed us too. They had an Anime event there this weekend and from the looks on their faces when they mentioned it, it wasn't going too well for them.

Are ME never going to use the Park Inn again? I have to say that I quite liked it, for all the issues I had with the heating system.

• Showmasters Admin

I'm gonna be rude now and say I'm missing the Park Inn :(

Are ME never going to use the Park Inn again? I have to say that I quite liked it, for all the issues I had with the heating system.

Sorry for the mis-understanding. We will still be having events there, all of these are there...

Eclipse 3

Abrams Inc

Eternal Twilight 2

Chevron 7.3

Bitten - Next year

It's still our preferred hotel, as we know it so well and get on with the staff there :D

They were telling me that they like working with us as we're organised and everything goes very smoothly for them when we're there. Also they like our guests :D

They just wish we could have EVERYTHING there. I think they'd like it if we were there every weekend of the year.

I'm gonna be rude now and say I'm missing the Park Inn :poki:

Sorry for the mis-understanding. We will still be having events there, all of these are there...

Eclipse 3

Abrams Inc

Eternal Twilight 2

Chevron 7.3

Bitten - Next year

It's still our preferred hotel, as we know it so well and get on with the staff there :pyth:

They were telling me that they like working with us as we're organised and everything goes very smoothly for them when we're there. Also they like our guests :chair:

They just wish we could have EVERYTHING there. I think they'd like it if we were there every weekend of the year.

yer the park inn is awesome, we love the staff to, we have even made friends with some of the staff there and plans to go out drinkin with them then next weekend where there after they finish work.lol thats how nice they are. :blink:

not to be pickey but or down on other hotels but we went to chevron 7.2 at bedford and elthogh i had a wkd time and the crew were amasing we still missed the park inn northampton :dance: (too tall i even rember you saying you missed it) bt it hasnt put us off as better than life is at the bedford hotel and we are still comeing to it and staying :)

iv learnet that sometime you prefer one place but the guests and the other people there and of cource the CREW make the weekend, so we dont mind where it is. and i know we dont say it enogh but thank you for putting the events on and putting up with one sorting any of our problems :)

xoxoxox

I'm gonna be rude now and say I'm missing the Park Inn

I've never thought much of the Park Inn - the rooms are somewhat overpriced, the staff variable (when checking out the girl on reception had a 5 minute conversation about bloody Cheryl Cole with her colleague before acknowledging me), the restaurant hugely overpriced, its a tad shabby and its far too small for this sort of event meaning that everyone ends up in various different hotels which isn't ideal - nor is it perfect in terms of safety for everyone to be traipsing back to their various hotels in the middle of the night after the parties.

But...

It's always been the case that a convention held at a hotel that the convention effectively takes over for the weekend will always have a much much better atmosphere than an event held in a objectively much nicer hotel where the convention is but one of many events being held that weekend.

I've been at events in some very nice hotels where the atmosphere has been a bit sterile, a bit soulless, other people attending events aren't quite sure whats going on and sometimes want to crash the event and I've seen convention goers treated with total contempt by the staff in some of the "posher" hotels- on one memorable occasion the actor Mark Shepherd had to go into bat for us against a very unpleasant bar manager!

So whilst I don't actually think much of the Park Inn as an actual hotel as a convention venue it's great. It's a shame that you couldn't find a hotel with more rooms which has a similar set up to the Park Inn in that it has one hall which the event can take over.

I'd rather have the Hilton because for me, it is closer, it means that at 16, I don't have to be travelling back on the train at 1am to get home, it cuts my cost on train tickets by about £30 and I don't have to stay in a hotel so you have saved me (who has no income) £100 which means that I can actually come to the Hub 3 in the first place.

I'm gonna be rude now and say I'm missing the Park Inn

I've never thought much of the Park Inn - the rooms are somewhat overpriced, the staff variable (when checking out the girl on reception had a 5 minute conversation about bloody Cheryl Cole with her colleague before acknowledging me), the restaurant hugely overpriced, its a tad shabby and its far too small for this sort of event meaning that everyone ends up in various different hotels which isn't ideal - nor is it perfect in terms of safety for everyone to be traipsing back to their various hotels in the middle of the night after the parties.

But...

It's always been the case that a convention held at a hotel that the convention effectively takes over for the weekend will always have a much much better atmosphere than an event held in a objectively much nicer hotel where the convention is but one of many events being held that weekend.

I've been at events in some very nice hotels where the atmosphere has been a bit sterile, a bit soulless, other people attending events aren't quite sure whats going on and sometimes want to crash the event and I've seen convention goers treated with total contempt by the staff in some of the "posher" hotels- on one memorable occasion the actor Mark Shepherd had to go into bat for us against a very unpleasant bar manager!

So whilst I don't actually think much of the Park Inn as an actual hotel as a convention venue it's great. It's a shame that you couldn't find a hotel with more rooms which has a similar set up to the Park Inn in that it has one hall which the event can take over.

For a four star it looked alright to me. As for the staff make your self noticed its the same at all hotels. But I do agree with the size but seeing the problems with the Hilton a bigger hotel won't help the problem except to have us all under one roof. What would be best is a hotel somewhere in the middle between the size of Park Inn and Hilton.

• Showmasters Admin

I'm gonna be rude now and say I'm missing the Park Inn :(

Eclipse 3

Abrams Inc

Eternal Twilight 2

Chevron 7.3

Bitten - Next year

It's still our preferred hotel, as we know it so well and get on with the staff there :D

They were telling me that they like working with us as we're organised and everything goes very smoothly for them when we're there. Also they like our guests :dance:

yer the park inn is awesome, we love the staff to, we have even made friends with some of the staff there and plans to go out drinkin with them then next weekend where there after they finish work.lol thats how nice they are. :D

not to be pickey but or down on other hotels but we went to chevron 7.2 at bedford and elthogh i had a wkd time and the crew were amasing we still missed the park inn northampton :( (too tall i even rember you saying you missed it) bt it hasnt put us off as better than life is at the bedford hotel and we are still comeing to it and staying :)

iv learnet that sometime you prefer one place but the guests and the other people there and of cource the CREW make the weekend, so we dont mind where it is. and i know we dont say it enogh but thank you for putting the events on and putting up with one sorting any of our problems :)

xoxoxox

The Bedford hotel was OK for us, but the Northampton one is definitly better in a number of ways.

It's a lot about what you know best. We have gotten used to the Northampton one and so it's easier for us the run an event there.

• 2 months later...

Haha, I'm going to have to disagree and say that I would prefer to meet guests rather than have a special room but that's all down to personal preference. I'd love to see a room if it didn't affect the guests though. Unfortunately, I've never been to the Park Inn but I'm sure it's great. Personally, I'm glad it's at the Hilton though, it's easily accessible to get to from trains in Manchester and like someone said, at 16, it's probably better for me. The discount is fantastic too. :D

Edited by Doctor Who