Home cinemas, movie viewing at home

zebredy

As this is the section for people to discuss movies and stuff I thought it might be the best place to ask people what sort of set ups they have at home, like what tv, dvd player speakers etc they have.

I have just purchased my first LCD tv which will be arriving in two weeks (due to being out of stock) its a Sony 32 inch, and along with that I have also purchased a Sony blu-ray player.

Will be getting the rest in about 2-3 months when I get more money. Am looking at getting a 37-40inch for the living room and moving the 32inch to the bedroom but that won't be till maybe after the summer.

(Don't you just love it when old tvs blow up)

So what do you guys have? Does your budget dictate what you buy or do/did you max out a credit card to buy the best equipement out there.

Be as technical as you like, though don't expect me to understand everthing you have posted...

:poki:

LLAP :poki:

I have a very basic crappy VideoLogic DTS sound system. Had it about 8yrs and have been planning to get a new decent top of the range Denon one when I get the chance.

The TV itself isn't that important to me just as long its a decent size and widescreen. Will get a Blu-ray further down the line when DVDs start become extinct or blu-ray players cheaper.

I have a very basic crappy VideoLogic DTS sound system. Had it about 8yrs and have been planning to get a new decent top of the range Denon one when I get the chance.

The TV itself isn't that important to me just as long its a decent size and widescreen. Will get a Blu-ray further down the line when DVDs start become extinct or blu-ray players cheaper.

I actually thought / assumed you would be one of those people who had a projection screen and everything else that went with it... I was always told it was wrong to assume something.

:blink:

LLAP :uhoh:

I actually thought / assumed you would be one of those people who had a projection screen and everything else that went with it... I was always told it was wrong to assume something.
Yeah, I can see why you'd think that - I'm just not all that technical, however whenever I buy a DVD I always check to see if it has DTS audio. I had to go to the www.dvdtimes.co.uk forum to get advice on what system to go for.

I wouldnt ever get a projector cos I dont like to watch TV in the dark - its different in the cinema though.

Samsung 26" HiDef Flat panel TV , which doubles up as my computer monitor

Sony PS3 for Gaming and BluRay , Play TV for freeview recording

Yamaha DSP Amplifier , AC3 sound, but no DTS

Mission Front, Centre and Rear speakers rated up to 100 watts each.

REL Q bass subwoofer

Region 1 ( not multi region ) DVD player

All outfitted with high quality interconnect cabling, no bell wire used at all.

One of these days , I want to upgrade the amp but will wait a bit , for an amp that has HDMI in and outputs.

I have a 32" Sony LCD Bravia TV with my PS3 acting as a Blu-Ray player, plus an OPPO multi-region upscaling DVD player.

Later this year I intend on buying a HDMI receiver/amp, but might go for a 2.1 set-up rather than 5.1 as it's for my bedroom and something more modest might be best.

Personally I don't rate domestic digital projectors as the way they work, especially compared to a proper cinema digital projector, is quite flawed.

• Showmasters Admin

Sony VW50 1080p Projector

Carada Citerion 104" screen (yes I have a 104" screen in my lounge :chair: )

DVDO ISCAN VP50 video processor

Sky HD

Panasonic DVD-HDD recorder (multi-region) upscaling (but I use the video processor to do this) and HDMI

Toshiba HD-DVD player

Snazio Cinema HD (DVD multi-region) - streams files from a PC to my lounge. Currently not set-up.

Denon A1SR Amp - 170 watts x 7 - DD-EX, DTS-ES, DPL2, DTS Neo, THX Ultra 2

KEF TDM THX speakers (TDM23F x2, TDM23C x 1, TDM34DS x 4)

M&K MX350 THX subwoofer (350 watts, 2 x 12" woofers)

QED Silver Anniversary speaker wire

Far too many interconnectors to name.

I jumped on the HD disc train 2 years ago and as I knew I would I jumped on the wrong train (HD-DVD) that stopped a year later. But hey I got about 20 films in HD at only £3 each when HD-DVD died.

Will look at getting a Blu-ray player at some point. Want one that has 7.1 out via anaolog so I can take advantage of the new HD Audio formats on my Denon as it doesn't have HDMI input. The new Sony 550 looks good.

Edited by Too Tall

Sony VW50 1080p Projector

Carada Citerion 104" screen (yes I have a 104" screen in my lounge :P )

DVDO ISCAN VP50 video processor

Sky HD

Panasonic DVD-HDD recorder (multi-region) upscaling (but I use the video processor to do this) and HDMI

Toshiba HD-DVD player

Snazio Cinema HD (DVD multi-region) - streams files from a PC to my lounge. Currently not set-up.

Denon A1SR Amp - 170 watts x 7 - DD-EX, DTS-ES, DPL2, DTS Neo, THX Ultra 2

KEF TDM THX speakers (TDM23F x2, TDM23C x 1, TDM34DS x 4)

M&K MX350 THX subwoofer (350 watts, 2 x 12" woofers)

QED Silver Anniversary speaker wire

Far too many interconnectors to name.

I jumped on the HD disc train 2 years ago and as I knew I would I jumped on the wrong train (HD-DVD) that stopped a year later. But hey I got about 20 films in HD at only �3 each when HD-DVD died.

Will look at getting a Blu-ray player at some point. Want one that has 7.1 out via anaolog so I can take advantage of the new HD Audio formats on my Denon as it doesn't have HDMI input. The new Sony 550 looks good.

Movie night round yours then :YAHOO:

• Showmasters Admin

Movie night round yours then :P

Indeed :YAHOO:

Has George Lucas certified your THX system .. :YAHOO:

That's a smart setup you've got there. I thought my pal's 80" electric screen was big, but 104" WOW !

I had a 92" screen before but the extra foot made all the difference :YAHOO:

What's 7.1? It's got an extra rear centre speaker and what else over 5.1?

I'd never want that many speakers in my room which is why I'm quite happy with DTS 5.1.

Edited by nicky

I've got a 42" Toshiba XV555 1080p LCD TV

PS3 for blu ray and gaming

Sony STR DG820 AV Receiver (HD audio)

Denon 1920 upscaling DVD player

Mordaunt Short 309i subwoofer

the 5 other speakers came from my old home cinema all-in-one kit that's now defunct but all in all it sounds good.

Going "HD" has been great, watching blu-ray movies has really been a step up.

• Showmasters Admin

What's 7.1? It's got an extra rear centre speaker and what else over 5.1?

I'd never want that many speakers in my room which is why I'm quite happy with DTS 5.1.

Dolby Digital and DTS are 5.1 as you know.

About 7 years ago both came out with 6.1 sound systems (DD-EX and DTS-ES). This added the extra "rear centre" to the surround speakers. For full THX certification you actually use 2 rear centres and so it becomes 7.1, but it's kind of fake 7.1 as both the rear centres get the same signal.

The new HD audio formats on blu-ray and hd-dvd are true 7.1 (having 4 surround sound tracks) and a MUCH higher bit rate than standard DD and DTS.

For full THX certification you actually use 2 rear centres and so it becomes 7.1, but it's kind of fake 7.1 as both the rear centres get the same signal.

The new HD audio formats on blu-ray and hd-dvd are true 7.1 (having 4 surround sound tracks) and a MUCH higher bit rate than standard DD and DTS.

That's a bit naff then having 4 rear speakers only for 3 signals to be used though I think that's what they have in most cinemas isn't it? I can't see the point in 2 rear centre speakers sharing the same signal for just a living room.:wub: And "true" 7.1 sounds a bit messy - I like to hear the seperation between my speakers so 2 rear speakers in 5.1 is good enough for me.

Edited by nicky