Costumes

bunnycure

ok , don't want to give much away at this time but looking to do an action figure based costume , which sould tie in with a movie release in August . I have a predator that i'm building but is going slower than i want (giving it 2 years ) , have another mando , a TIE Pilot ( another one that will take time , hopefully 1 year) , another comic book character (not sure ) and the one for August . if it all goes to plan .

the last 2 are mostly soft costumes ( no hard parts or armour) so it's a case of finding the right colour material and a lot of fittings

Hi,

Sounds amazing :( Hope all goes to plan! I would love to do my own costume but i woundn't know where to start lol :YAHOO:

Edited by ClaireRedfield

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once you get into it it can be easy , there is a rule that costumers use .

i want it quick

i want it accurate

i want it cheap

you will only ever get 2 of these

e.g.:- if you want it cheap and quick , don't expenct it to be accurate , if you want it accurate and cheap it won't be quick ( most costumers put years into costumes , because they want it accurate and don't have thousands of pounds to spend on it) , if you want it accurate and quick it won't be cheap .

while building some props for other costumes , i'v amased a large collection of junk and stuff ( no other word for it really ) that i use to build stuff from or as bases to work from .

skills are picked up as you go along , i've learned leather work , some electronics ( light circuits mostly ), general needle work ( sewing ) , fibre glassing ( very smelly ) , small scale casting .

not all of wich i'v perfected

when doing a cloth costume ( soft costume ) , if you're building from scratch i'ts impotant to get the right colour and type of material as well as the pattern. It's also handy to know a seamstress or someone witha sewing machine

once you get into it it can be easy , there is a rule that costumers use .

i want it quick

i want it accurate

i want it cheap

you will only ever get 2 of these

e.g.:- if you want it cheap and quick , don't expenct it to be accurate , if you want it accurate and cheap it won't be quick ( most costumers put years into costumes , because they want it accurate and don't have thousands of pounds to spend on it) , if you want it accurate and quick it won't be cheap .

while building some props for other costumes , i'v amased a large collection of junk and stuff ( no other word for it really ) that i use to build stuff from or as bases to work from .

skills are picked up as you go along , i've learned leather work , some electronics ( light circuits mostly ), general needle work ( sewing ) , fibre glassing ( very smelly ) , small scale casting .

not all of wich i'v perfected

when doing a cloth costume ( soft costume ) , if you're building from scratch i'ts impotant to get the right colour and type of material as well as the pattern. It's also handy to know a seamstress or someone witha sewing machine

Hi Cocomando,

Thanks for all your help and advice, My best friend Maggie is really good with a sewing machine, she has made clothes before so i could get her help :) I think im going to go with the classic New Hope white dress, i think it would be great to make my own and see the finished product! and alot of fun, i will probably start with getting some photos together and doing a sketch of exactly how i want it to look. Then i can start buying materials, you'll remember where Sleeves record shop used to be in Falkirk? i think there is a fabric shop near there. Cant wait to buy the accessories, i have long Dark brown hair so i dont need to worry about a wig lol ill need to practice getting the hairdo right tho :), How many costumes have you made in total? Im good with music and organising things but i have never done this kind of thing before so it will be an experience, a good one tho :) :D

I'm probably going to regret it but since I managed to brave the cold at this last con..This next CMG I will DEFINATELY be appearing as two different Lara's (or three, depending on how many days it is) and aside the Legend Outfit, this is the one I am looking at;

pacifique.gif

Yep.. I would imagine a lot of people will be looking at that... :D

I'm probably going to regret it but since I managed to brave the cold at this last con..This next CMG I will DEFINATELY be appearing as two different Lara's (or three, depending on how many days it is) and aside the Legend Outfit, this is the one I am looking at;

pacifique.gif

you going as lara croft?!

Why thats just shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can't believe it, no i refuse to believe it...........its just so unexpected, next you'll tell me Scapegoats comming as a colonial marine

i can't believe it, no i refuse to believe it...........its just so unexpected, next you'll tell me Scapegoats comming as a colonial marine

When I made the decision, I knew a few people would be shocked but it's okay!

When I made the decision, I knew a few people would be shocked but it's okay!

i was starting to feel guilty after no one commented on my post, thought it wasn't clear that i was joking

if all goes to plan with my costume it should be pretty amazing

cool character , issue is when doing a face character and costume , do you look enough like the person to carry it off , even with the correct dress and props would it be recognisable .

I think it could be possible , if you went with the mandarin style jacket suit and slicked youre hair back , then there is a good possibility

the top bit is just a gide to keep in mind when doing face characters

cool character , issue is when doing a face character and costume , do you look enough like the person to carry it off , even with the correct dress and props would it be recognisable .

I think it could be possible , if you went with the mandarin style jacket suit and slicked youre hair back , then there is a good possibility

the top bit is just a gide to keep in mind when doing face characters

Hi Colin

Thanks for the tips :P i dont think i really look like christan bale (sadly :lol: )i've been trying to think of the best costume to do ,have you got any idea's,Mayby a star wars character,thank's for cool tip's for my sister it really helped her alot :D

i say Equilibrium, once went into a cinema one day at about 11 on a wed morning thought i had the whole place to myself untill i went to walk down a corridor turned around and there was a guy dresed up like a Equilibrium agent (can't remember the proper name) scared the living daylights out of me

you don't have to go as Christian Bale, All of the Marines don't go as Vasquez, Hicks etc

i went as chuck this year but it looked just like a Buymore outfit than chhuck unless you looked at the namebadge

i'm not saying don't do the Cleric , what i was saying was a guide used by costuming groups .

Now if you do the Equilibrium character them you would have to make sure it's recognisable as one .

Yesindeed is correct not all Marines do Hicks or Vasquez , but by the nature of their armour and weapons you know who they are supposed to be . So you'd have to ask is the Cleric from Equilibrium that recognisable ( in my opinion no , but it's not my idea of a costume )

For another example , my daughter wants to go dressed this year ( she love's Dr Who ) , she thought about Rose Tyler . so to help decide , we ask our selfs a few questions and look at a few ref pics .

1. what di they wear .------- answer . mostly a generic pink soft feel zip through hoody and jeans

2. while wearing the is with my hair done correctly would i look like the character

Answer ------ Character to generic , wouldn't look like here because she looks like one of the croud.

so she chose an Ewok , cos it would look cool

Now as for doing a Chewie , way to hot , very expensive to buy and not enough time if you want accurate enough

i wouldn't want to suggest a costume as i'm a bit one sided ( massive Starwars fan , and our Costuming club needs more Scottish Members , so i don't want to suggest unless you would be willing to join us )

what i will do is give you a list of costuming clubs that you could take a look at , most have a help section in their forums

For Resident Evil and just general costumes ----- wolfpackelite.com

for the same ----- wolfpack sci fi and costuming

for Cobra G.I Joe characters ----- Cobra Cares

for Predator ----- The Hunters Lair

for Super Heroes ----- The League of Heroes

for Imperial Starwars -----501st (detchments for different costumes)

for Rebel Starwars ------ Rebel Legion

for Boba Fett ------ The Dented Helmet

for Mandalorians (like my costume) ------ Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club ( the one i'm in )

for Aliens and Marines ------ The Aliens Legacy

for Halo Armour ------405th.com

for Stargate ------ Gateworld

for Robocop ------ Robocop archive board

if you're going to buy the i would watch what you get on ebay (e=evil) , costume bases(ebay shop) isn't that bad for a starter and can be worked into a better . Steer clear of Starfortress productions (just google them , you'll see why )

if i'v missed any costuming sites out i'm sorry

try googleing some of them , you might get an idea .

Remember and go into the forum's

hope this helps , if you need any more help email me at cocomando@btinternet.com

cheers................................Colin

Edited by Cocomando

Hi Colin,

Many thanks again for all your help and info, i totally understand what you mean about choosing a character thats recognisible, i have finally decided on the costume for myself so throwing around ideas for my bro, i sent you a email a couple of days ago, hope you got it ok :) and hope you had a nice new year, Ewok is really cool for your daughter :), it would be great to join your costuming club, if you like drop me an email .

Chat soon,

thanks again,

Mel :)

If you were going to do a Grammaton Cleric, IMHO the costume is only part of the cosplay... what you'd really need would be someone to practice gun-kata with :)

I've seen folk hanging out by Camden Lock doing group Capoeira... find some guides to that, get the right prop pistol, and you'd look great.

Still would probably mystefy most onlookers, as the movie itself is sadly underrated... Then again, the UKCM commonly get called "Haw, ur yooz pure like real soljurz annat fae like Iraq annat?"

Let's see a face pic, see what springs to mind :D

good more help for Mel's bro , and by all accounts some that knows a few tips and tricks to costuming and cosplay . Welldone for coming in Scapey .

i totaly agree with what he said ,as if the character in it's self is not too recognisable then the correct props and actions will draw it together , but everything has to be accurate.

I get the who are you supposed to be more than most , are you a clone . Well no i'm a Mandalorian , so you're a clone then.

our costume club spans from the core group used to play star wars galaxies , so we just brought our charaters to life . Plus there's lots of expanded universe books and graphic novels that were about Mando's before the prequils were released . It's Karen Travis's novels that confuse the new to Starwars as to what a Mando is , as some trained the clones.

But yes a pic would be good , also give us a top 5 sci fi films and tv series to have a look at as well

i remember seeing a pic of you

you're a bit of a big yin and quite a broad build

just an idea............Judge Dreed

its instantly recognisable and the costume covers the fact you dont have to look like sly for it you just need to look mean

you could also do a ring rath pretty easily and cheap with the right materials

i'm just gonna list a few ideas now (work is so boring!)

Boris Karlof

Herman Munster (i know its the same idea)

Jason Vorhees (not sure on the spelling)

Leatherface

i had a mate go as Nomak from blade II for halloween and it looked awsome (of course they spiked my drink with Acid and i spent most of the night in a wardrobe hidding from him)

i hope this is helpful, i know i aint a big costume fanatic like most of you guys but i'm trying :D

good list , hmmm

easiest one is Jason , hockey mask , machette , some old hunting clothes

Dread would be next and is a good costume to do and keep , motocross boots , leather jeans , Brando style biker jacket .

Helmet , lawgiver (1or 2) and body armour are a bit of work , but not that hard to do ( plenty of time )

( if you chose Dread or what everone you go with , i'll give you a hand get it done if you want )

Herman would be cool all in black and white , be cool if you could get Lillian as well (think that was his wifes name , pretty sure)

good list , hmmm

easiest one is Jason , hockey mask , machette , some old hunting clothes

Dread would be next and is a good costume to do and keep , motocross boots , leather jeans , Brando style biker jacket .

Helmet , lawgiver (1or 2) and body armour are a bit of work , but not that hard to do ( plenty of time )

( if you chose Dread or what everone you go with , i'll give you a hand get it done if you want )

Herman would be cool all in black and white , be cool if you could get Lillian as well (think that was his wifes name , pretty sure)

Hi Guy's

Thank's for all your input i really appreciate it i will take all your idea's on board and let you know when i've made up my mind who i will be going as i really appreciate all your help it is really nice of you all to help me :o i will post a face pic up as soon as i find a good one as i dont want to scare everyone :huh: thanks again for all your help :D