Has anyone else been transfered from Park Inn to the Ibis

Funny thing, I've been doing exactly the same thing expecting one from you saying that! :)

I haven't had an email, but I'll phone in the morning and check.

What time are you going to get there? I think I can get a train/bus that gets in just after 6pm on Friday.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the call today - have been shunted to Ibis. I booked my room in April (right after I got my gold ticket)... before two friends who [independantly] booked in May yet i've been moved and they haven't. I fail to see how this is the 'last in, first out' they said it was.

I don't mind Ibis, I've stayed with them before, and I understand I can go over to Park for breakfast instead if I want to. Thing is, I booked to stay in the con hotel for conveniance reasons. I'm pathalogically allergic to carrying things I don't need and at cons usually run up to my room to leave things I'm done with for the day. Also, the idea of having to cross the car park and a main road at night as a single girl in a place I have never been before doesn't sound particularly safe to me. I've been unable to get in touch with my roomie but I doubt she'll be happy either.

Needless to say, it's been indicated that the renovation was on the books for a while. Then why has it taken til con week to inform us of this?

I got the call today - have been shunted to Ibis. I booked my room in April (right after I got my gold ticket)... before two friends who [independantly] booked in May yet i've been moved and they haven't. I fail to see how this is the 'last in, first out' they said it was.

I don't mind Ibis, I've stayed with them before, and I understand I can go over to Park for breakfast instead if I want to. Thing is, I booked to stay in the con hotel for conveniance reasons. I'm pathalogically allergic to carrying things I don't need and at cons usually run up to my room to leave things I'm done with for the day. Also, the idea of having to cross the car park and a main road at night as a single girl in a place I have never been before doesn't sound particularly safe to me. I've been unable to get in touch with my roomie but I doubt she'll be happy either.

Needless to say, it's been indicated that the renovation was on the books for a while. Then why has it taken til con week to inform us of this?

Hey I know you... your the lps fan on LJ right!??! I recognised your username XD

Sorry to hear you got shunted =\ *hugs*

G x

Just called the hotel and found out I've been transferred as well. Not happy about the situation but I guess no one really has been.

Interesting to see what happens with the evening parties. I know that the person I'm traveling with is already now paranoid about the whole town and certain that we are going to get attacked there. I'm pretty sure she won't be happy when she finds out we have to run between the hotels. Probably the result is that she won't leave the hotel at the evenings at all and I end up going to the parties alone and after that walking back to the hotel alone, unless I find some company for those trips.

Am I guarenteed a parking space as the last thing I want to do is go around searching for a space that evening after a long journey?

I very much doubt you are guaranteed a parking space - I don't think any hotel would give you that assurance I'm afraid.

The Park Inn hotel doesn't guarantee parking spaces and does get full..although as many people seem to have been moved to the Ibis I guess it might be less so this time.

Edited by catfish

I've just found out that I've been transferred as well; after several calls back and forth, the latest is as follows:

-- the Ibis transfer rate should now includes breakfast (either at the Park Inn or at the Ibis);

-- if you're travelling by yourself at night after the dances to the Ibis, they will arrange a taxi for you;

-- they've now promised free drinks vouchers to those of us moved over to the Ibis (number to be determined after Scott -- who I was speaking with -- discusses the matter further with the General Manager).

This is the least they can do as we are entitled to compensation for the inconvenience of being bumped four days before the convention.

For anyone unfamiliar with the area - when you come out of the back of the PI car park, the Ibis is quite literally the other side of the road. You don't have to walk through town centres or past night clubs or anything like that!

It is quite a wide road though not a country lane..and you do have the Sol centre (cinemas etc in the vicinity and the town centre on the other side). I would say it's more than 2 mins walk but it is genuinely literally almost on top of The Park not three blocks away or anything.

I've just found out that I've been transferred as well; after several calls back and forth, the latest is as follows:

-- the Ibis transfer rate should now includes breakfast (either at the Park Inn or at the Ibis);

-- if you're travelling by yourself at night after the dances to the Ibis, they will arrange a taxi for you;

-- they've now promised free drinks vouchers to those of us moved over to the Ibis (number to be determined after Scott -- who I was speaking with -- discusses the matter further with the General Manager).

This is the least they can do as we are entitled to compensation for the inconvenience of being bumped four days before the convention.

Oh that's helpful, thanks. I just called Scott myself and he really couldn't help me further. I was also concerned about the lack of confirmation from Ibis, I mean I don't want to turn up and they not have my name there either. He said he was sending the final lists over today and then would contact everyone that's moved.

Also, I'm assuming the taxi service is free... well, Park pays for it?

It will take you longer to get in and out of the taxi's than to travel from park inn to the ibis. Sorry i'm not saying they shouldn't provide this but it made me laugh to read it! I live behind the chronicle and echo building and will be walking home! I personally think they should offer monetry compensation!

I laughed too at the suggestion of a taxi across that distance, maybe chaperons, nice hunky ones would have suited some people hahaha

I am sure everyone will be happy enough when settled in and the event gets on its way.

better to find out now that on the day .

I think if the hotel is offering breakfast at either hotel and also maybe free drink voucher that they are doing their best .

i had a phone call this morning as well and i was told that i would have to pay 60 pound a night at the Ibis, and not the 46 park in rate.

I asked why this was and he said that is for brekkie.

Not being funny but they should give us brekkie free, as they have moved us. They took on the bookings and so should have sorted somthing out to make sure they were ready for such a huge amount of guests.

I have since said we would not want brekkie so are back at the 45 rate, but still think they should do somthing for us. as 4 days before the event i have been told i am being moved, and i booked in april!

I am told even the hotel wasn't aware that the refurbishment would happen but very annoying.

I booked the Park Inn back in March and at that time they told me that the hotel was going under refurbishment very shortly. So the hotel did know about it way back then.

I am told even the hotel wasn't aware that the refurbishment would happen but very annoying.

I booked the Park Inn back in March and at that time they told me that the hotel was going under refurbishment very shortly. So the hotel did know about it way back then.

The Hotel are not saying they didnt know it was happening, but the actual starting date is what caught them off the hop from what I hear.

I laughed too at the suggestion of a taxi across that distance, maybe chaperons, nice hunky ones would have suited some people hahaha

I am sure everyone will be happy enough when settled in and the event gets on its way.

better to find out now that on the day .

I think if the hotel is offering breakfast at either hotel and also maybe free drink voucher that they are doing their best .

All very well to laugh but some people have mobility problems and actually whilst trailing across the 3 lanes of Marefair and the Park Carpark is only 5 or 10 mins for most of us it is a genuine issue for others. Also Isome people may not want to wander about that area in the small hours on their own (not sure how keen I would be actually), but we are all different about these things I guess. Its a perfectly reasonable gesture by the hotel (and I think it was only for lone travellers home at night) to ensure the safety and well being of the guests it has inconvenienced.

It is quite a wide road though not a country lane..and you do have the Sol centre (cinemas etc in the vicinity and the town centre on the other side). I would say it's more than 2 mins walk but it is genuinely literally almost on top of The Park not three blocks away or anything.

To be honest I think even 2 mins is an exaggeration.. you literally just have to cross the road, and it's not an overly heavily used road, either.

Must admit I'd be extremely annoyed if this happened to me at Eclipse - that would destroy my costumes since I'm not walking across the road in a cheerleading outfit.

Hope it all goes well for you guys though! :D

My friend and I have been moved to the Ibis too. I'm sure the Ibis is lovely but it's the inconvenience of no longer being at the hotel the convention is held in that's annoying. That's the only reason we (and I'm sure most people) booked to stay at the Park Inn in the first place. Ah well, way it goes.

Is the Ibis nearer to the train station or near the Gold Street end of Marefair? Hopefully the latter, then it's not too far to walk, although still far when you're done up in full fancy dress costume! I just hope it won't be raining! Lol.

Edited by spaceygal

This has changed my plans somewhat. I had separate outfits planned for the cocktail party and the evening party but I'm guessing at least one of those will be left home now. Don't want to be running between the hotels several times a night. And don't really feel like going to the cocktail party in my evening costume.

Oh well, at least it leaves room for other stuff in my luggage...

This has changed my plans somewhat. I had separate outfits planned for the cocktail party and the evening party but I'm guessing at least one of those will be left home now. Don't want to be running between the hotels several times a night. And don't really feel like going to the cocktail party in my evening costume.

Oh well, at least it leaves room for other stuff in my luggage...

Yes, exactly. My friend and I will have to keep going back and forth from hotels to change from our reception clothes to our party clothes. That's the main annoyance, really. Otherwise we don't mind the Ibis.

To be honest I think even 2 mins is an exaggeration.. you literally just have to cross the road, and it's not an overly heavily used road, either.

Must admit I'd be extremely annoyed if this happened to me at Eclipse - that would destroy my costumes since I'm not walking across the road in a cheerleading outfit.

Hope it all goes well for you guys though! :D

According to the maps it does look a bit more than a two minute walk. Since that's all I have to go on while making my plans I'll have to make them based on that info.

And even if it is a short walk still making the trip (alone) during a chilly night in a flimsy dress is far from fun.

As some of the other people I'm a bit miffed off that they left it this late to tell people about the change. And if I got it right I would have never gotten the info unless I had called them myself. They had lost my contact information which in my opinion is pretty well since I've given it to them about three times already since I've been forced to contact the hotel in different matters. I wonder if I'm going to get my confirmation for Ibis either. Gave them my contact information again today...