Taking Photos - to be or not to be

autograph_fanatic

I have attended a few Autographica's in the past (all were brilliant) but wasn't sure why some guests would allow a photo with them (non-photo shoot) and others wouldn't?

Steven Berkoff particularly had a notice saying "no posed photos" which I thought was unfair, since we are paying a considerate amount for an autograph as it is.

Is this solely down to the individual guest and why DO some allow posed photos?

Cheers!

• Showmasters Admin

It is up to the guests.

In some cases like Tony Curtis it was decided to not do them as he'd not be able to get up and down and even leaning forward and backwards a lot would be too much.

Some feel it's not fair on those that have paid for a professional photo shoot. Other's just don't like having their picture taken.

There are a number of reasons for it.

Some feel it's not fair on those that have paid for a professional photo shoot. .

I've always thought that was an unfair reason cos in some cases the fans actual choose to have the photoshoot rather than an over-thedesk pic. Krypto and Lizzy are two forumers I can think of who prefer the professional shoots.

• Showmasters Admin
Some feel it's not fair on those that have paid for a professional photo shoot. .

I've always thought that was an unfair reason cos in some cases the fans actual choose to have the photoshoot rather than an over-thedesk pic. Krypto and Lizzy are two forumers I can think of who prefer the professional shoots.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just explaining why some guests ask for no posed photos, and that is one of the reasons. It's just how "some" guests feel and so don't like to do posed other than the official ones.

I have attended a few Autographica's in the past (all were brilliant) but wasn't sure why some guests would allow a photo with them (non-photo shoot) and others wouldn't?

Steven Berkoff particularly had a notice saying "no posed photos" which I thought was unfair, since we are paying a considerate amount for an autograph as it is.

Is this solely down to the individual guest and why DO some allow posed photos?

Cheers!

Hello,

I hope, it`s possible to pose with the guests for a memory pic with my own camera after getting the autographs like at the past Autographica events where I have visited.

The main reason for me to travel from Germany to England for a one day trip to Autographica, is to meet my favourite guests in person and to make a memory photo of our meeting.To get an autograph is important for me as well.But to get an autograph only, it`s more cheaper to buy it via Internet as to make a journey from Germany to England. The personal meeting with the guest and the memory pic, that`s what Autographica makes so attractive for me to come there. I have been at two Autographica events until now and I`m thrilled about this event. I had the most impressive meetings in my life there with astronauts, cosmonauts and actors and I`m really happy about the memory pics from that meetings. So I hope, it will be still possible to photographing like in the past.

Maybe any guests do not want to stand up for pics all the time. Well, my first meeting at Autographica and my first memory pic there, was with astronaut Buzz Aldrin for two years ago.

Buzz needn`t to stand up. He sat at an table, where it was possible for me to go around and hunkers down next of him to pose for a pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/helmut_heisig...57601440249756/

So if you arrange tables like this for these guests, who don`t like stand up for pics, I think it`s no problem to pose for pics without great efforts of the guests. And if everyone in the queue have patience and appreciation, I think, everyone get his autograph and memory pic.

And because of the fairness between the "photo shoots" and the "selfmade" pics, I would like to say, that if you pay for an autograph, you should have the opportunity for an selfmade pic with the guest as well. Because the rules says, "if you want to have a picture with the guest always at least have the courtesy to buy something from them first" so are the "selfmade pics" mostly more expensive as the professional "photo shoots".

Best

Helmut

a notice saying "no posed photos" which I thought was unfair, since we are paying a considerate amount for an autograph as it is.

I must say that this sort of attitude puzzles me. You're paying for an autograph, and that's all. An autograph. And some are more expensive than others, which is the way of the world. Just because some are more expensive, it doesn't entitle you to a photo or an embrace or a lock of their hair. Just the auto.

Let's face it, if I went and bought myself a nice expensive Jaguar car, how far do you think I'd get if I said to the dealer, "crikey, you know, compared to a Fiat, this is rather expensive. How about giving me a fortnight in the Dordogne and a case of decent bubbly as well?"

a notice saying "no posed photos" which I thought was unfair, since we are paying a considerate amount for an autograph as it is.

I must say that this sort of attitude puzzles me. You're paying for an autograph, and that's all. An autograph. And some are more expensive than others, which is the way of the world. Just because some are more expensive, it doesn't entitle you to a photo or an embrace or a lock of their hair. Just the auto.

Let's face it, if I went and bought myself a nice expensive Jaguar car, how far do you think I'd get if I said to the dealer, "crikey, you know, compared to a Fiat, this is rather expensive. How about giving me a fortnight in the Dordogne and a case of decent bubbly as well?"

That point of view could be due to the fact that posed photos at table has been the "norm" at Autographica for some time. I attended the show long before it became part of Showmasters, at Northampton, Coventry etc and it is only recently that the "no posed photos" rule started appearing.

'That point of view could be due to the fact that posed photos at table has been the "norm" at Autographica for some time. I attended the show long before it became part of Showmasters, at Northampton, Coventry etc and it is only recently that the "no posed photos" rule started appearing.'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, IIRC at those early shows wasn't there a professional photographer guy who would hang around the signers and take your picture with the guest if you shouted over?

'That point of view could be due to the fact that posed photos at table has been the "norm" at Autographica for some time. I attended the show long before it became part of Showmasters, at Northampton, Coventry etc and it is only recently that the "no posed photos" rule started appearing.'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, IIRC at those early shows wasn't there a professional photographer guy who would hang around the signers and take your picture with the guest if you shouted over?

You are indeed correct. As I recall, no charge for taking it but you had to pay for the print.

See, I got no problem with people in the queue wanting a picture taken with a guest, its only a photo, it takes one second to do and its something to put on the mantlepiece. The signers are getting flown over, put up in a swanky hotel, probably getting a fee from the showmaster people and on top of that collect our hard earned readys over a weekend, so i think it's not unreasonable (and I reckon some of the larger ego's there rather like it anyway!)

The only problem I have got is the 5 minutes it takes some people to set the bloomin' shot up!

See, I got no problem with people in the queue wanting a picture taken with a guest, its only a photo, it takes one second to do and its something to put on the mantlepiece. The signers are getting flown over, put up in a swanky hotel, probably getting a fee from the showmaster people and on top of that collect our hard earned readys over a weekend, so i think it's not unreasonable (and I reckon some of the larger ego's there rather like it anyway!)

The only problem I have got is the 5 minutes it takes some people to set the bloomin' shot up!

I have met a lot of people over the years at various events as well as stage doors and have only ever been turned down for a photo by two people and totally agree a quick photo can be taken with little or no disruption to the queue , i met Joanna Lumley at a signing a few years back and there was a big queue of people to meet her but she did'nt rush and everyone who wanted a photo with her got one and she was also signing several items for each person( i got 4 items signed), thinks this is what makes/made Autographica special was that contact with the celebrity the chance for a few words , the signature and the photo and i hope that the organisors continue to let the shows run in this manner as i have always found the Autographica shows to be the best when it comes to meeting celebrities and the relaxed atmosphere in which they operate.

My only ever gripe at an Autorapica Show(i have been to 7) was Steven Berkoff , who apart from the No Posed photos also refused to personalise photos and was a major disapointment.

I have met a lot of people over the years at various events as well as stage doors and have only ever been turned down for a photo by two people and totally agree a quick photo can be taken with little or no disruption to the queue , i met Joanna Lumley at a signing a few years back and there was a big queue of people to meet her but she did'nt rush and everyone who wanted a photo with her got one and she was also signing several items for each person( i got 4 items signed), thinks this is what makes/made Autographica special was that contact with the celebrity the chance for a few words , the signature and the photo and i hope that the organisors continue to let the shows run in this manner as i have always found the Autographica shows to be the best when it comes to meeting celebrities and the relaxed atmosphere in which they operate.

My only ever gripe at an Autorapica Show(i have been to 7) was Steven Berkoff , who apart from the No Posed photos also refused to personalise photos and was a major disapointment.

Thank you Milloman69 for your comment.You hit the nail on the head.I agree completely with you.

Best

Helmut