A List Guests - Are you prepared to pay more for the right ones?

MikeDonovan

216 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay the money for the right guests?

• I'd pay up to £100 (or more) for a REALLY big guest (i.e. Ford)
    • I'd pay up to £50 for bigger guests, if that's what it took
    • £25 is the limit for me
    • It's already too dear!

he's only human, certain things are bound to pique his interest more than others. I don't like speaking for other people but I suspect he sees things like X-Men and ST as a paying job whereas Shakespeare is more likely to be a passion of his, if that is the case then it's perhaps no great surprise that he might make more effort with people who have bought him something different to sign.

Yeah, I know he's only human and different things might get me excited too but I think he should be able to at least look up at all fans and smile and say hello etc. It's something I worry that big guests esp wont all do sadly.

Having said that, John Landis and Brent Spiner were two previous guests who greeted my item with "Oh!". I brought Landis a Coming To America masterprint and Spiner a ID4 DVD sleeve. I guess everyone else was bringing up the same stuff. I didnt get the "oh!" reaction from Bruce Campbell though for bringing Darkman and Escape From LA posters which surprises me in retrospect...though he did write something unique on them rather than just a plain old sig so maybe that was his way of saying, "oh!"

My point is that volunteering prices gives the people who set the prices ideas. Some may think it's a good idea as it lets them know how high you will go, but it also has the possibility of raising the planned price.

It can go either way. There are just as many people here who have said they wouldnt pay x amount as there are those that said they would. Plus there are those that say if they did pay x amount that they would expect this or that to come with it. Anyway, this is only the forum, a small fraction of the total fans that attend cons.

Edited by nicky

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, this is only the forum, a small fraction of the total fans that attend cons.

Exactly. I just wouldn't want the opinions on here to be taken as the feelings of everyone. I can't imagine they would (as you say it's only a small fraction), but I find it bewildering that people are willing to "show their hand" in respect to what they will pay. It must be great playing poker with these folk. ;)

I find it bewildering that people are willing to "show their hand" in respect to what they will pay. It must be great playing poker with these folk. :D

Well if we are to assume that the powers-that-be etc are reading what we say here, I have a few words I'd like them to hear also: GIVE US OUR GODDAMN MONEY'S WORTH. ;)

Also, it would be dangerous to use this poll as a major indication of what people are willing to do (I've already stated my points), I'm sure there are many people who do not look at the forum. If they find that some "A-list" is going to be there and get all excited, then they turn up and find they have to pay £100 for a signature, I'm sure there are going to be a lot of disappointed people turn up on the day.

I think you have to define what you call A-List. Would you not agree that there are a number of tiers above the "big" guests we've had so far? If Bill Nighy's worth �25, what's Kurt Russell worth? Surely more?

Again though, that's not what I am saying. Obviously there are a number of different prices that can be charged. From �10 for extras in Star Wars, to George Lucas, who would charge charge... a bit more than �10. My point is that volunteering prices gives the people who set the prices ideas. Some may think it's a good idea as it lets them know how high you will go, but it also has the possibility of raising the planned price. Whether it's an "A-list guest" or not, I don't think it's good volunteering high prices. What if the guests people are willing to pay �100 for would all have been happy with �60? They may not take it all the way up to �100, but what if they go halfway and charge �80? Same applies to any guest. If you have enough people saying they would be happy to pay �15 for rare Star Wars extras, is it not possible people will take notice and raise the price.

It's the same as if you're taking part in an auction. If there was something you really wanted, you wouldn't eagerly shove your hand right up and say "I'd pay �1,000 for that!" You don't reveal your limit to the people who set the price, otherwise they will set the price AT your limit.

I do understand what you're saying - but the flip side of your argument is Jason thinking : -

"hmmm, my customers will only pay £25. multiply that by x number of sigs, and we arrive at £x - great - that's a good figure. Now, let's have a look at what Kurt Russell charges.... Sacre Merde! we can't afford that!"

"Hmmm... I wonder if we could charge a bit more than £25. That might make it viable. I wonder if people would be willing to pay a bit more for him? I hope so, otherwise we can't afford to get him to come!"

"Hmmm... I wonder if we could charge a bit more than £25. That might make it viable. I wonder if people would be willing to pay a bit more for him? I hope so, otherwise we can't afford to get him to come!"

Exactly, I dont think its a case of the guest wanting to make as much cash as they can (though I suspect its part of it) but rather SM trying to recoup their fees in getting the guest here in the first place.

Many guests actually don't even like to charge fans for autos...

Edited by nicky

I know, but when have we ever been asked about prices before? Showmasters (in conjunction with agents/actors) tell us what the prices are. I imagine if someone like Christopher Lee, or people at Autographica need - for whatever reason - a higher price, then Showmasters will go with that. I don't think they will ever limit themselves when it comes to prices higher than £25, and will use their common sense to figure out if it's worth it or not in those cases. I'm just not comfortable with us suggesting the prices. They might not admit it, or even go with the amounts suggested here, but I don't like the idea that it might influence their pricing. Is it not enough to say "if it's worth the money, we would probably pay more than usual for someone OUTSTANDING" - instead of saying "I will pay this amount"?

I'm just not comfortable with us suggesting the prices. They might not admit it, or even go with the amounts suggested here, but I don't like the idea that it might influence their pricing. Is it not enough to say "if it's worth the money, we would probably pay more than usual for someone OUTSTANDING" - instead of saying "I will pay this amount"?

I see what you're saying but I'm not gonna keep quiet about what amount I'd pay even though I gave a very vague idea as I dont want to be silenced, it's just a harmless discussion. If the powers-that-be are influenced by what I say then so be it and I accept that risk but I dont really think they have that much of a prescense here anyway and like I said before, I'll believe that these A list guests (by my definition) are coming when I see it.

And anyway, maybe I was lying about how much I would pay (cos I knew they'd be reading this and wanted to screw the system)?

Haha, fair enough. At least you understand the point I'm making. Obviously for Harrison Ford, Liam Neeson etc (the rarer signers) I would expect them to cost a bit more, and I will decide on each individual case whether it is worth it for me to meet them or not. But I won't give a specific amount for unspecified guests.

I think when it comes to the crunch and when a specific name is confirmed people may change their minds. Sometimes you wont know how you feel about something until it happens.

I might say I'm willing to pay £100 for xxx now but when the day actually comes, I'll probably bottle out and get cold feet or at least umm and ahhh for ages trying to decide if it was really worth it to stand at the guest's desk for a nano-second and a scribble. Also there is no way I'd be willing to do that for multiple A list guests in attendance - paying £100 for ONE guest is one thing but repeating that same expense for other guests is another.

Edited by nicky

Theres very few "A-List" guests I like anyway. I'd rather pay £100 to meet Emma Caulfield again even though Ive met her 4 times, just cos I love her so much. I dont think I'd even pay £5 to meet Harrison Ford, Bruse Willis, Tom Cruise, Sylverster Stallon and other mentioned celebrities on this thread to be honest. I dont like their work and dont like how they come across on Tv when they do interviews and stuff.

Its kinda how much you love the actors work is more important that how famous they are. Tho I would kill to meet Matt Damon lol

Edited by bunnies_frighten_me

• 2 weeks later...

Willing to travel, make expensive and time consuming costumes with girlfriend, NOT willing to pay for pennies worth of ink on a photo you can get off of an onsite stall for £2.50!

It could be said that perhaps you should pay more to the less well known celebs as they havent got as much money! also the public have paid considerably already in watching the films and buying the licenced products. The talented [and fortunate!] are giving their time however most are not exactly poor so pay for charity signings only! The autograph hunting is a victim of its own success and your paying as much as they think they can get for it so if you say £100 it will reach that much, the prices charged by dealers are appalling perhaps you should all give them a reality check and stop paying so much and drive the price down.

Crikey £100 for an autograph, i really don`t think so.

With all the other expenses of staying and travelling the budget will be through the roof and i may not be able to attend.

Now if it was a meal for two (A list guest +1) we would be talking hehe :dance:

the only person i can think of that i would pay seriously big money for is richard dean anderson, because i am aware of how few conventions he does. the day that i get the chance to meet rda, i just know i will be spending silly money :D

Edited by vala

Christopher Lee was gonna be £85 before he cancelled that one time at LFCC a couple yrs back. Not sure what he charged at the con he did after that though.

You're getting your guests and prices mixed up. Christopher Lee would have been £45. It was Mark Hamill who was £85.

Christopher Lee was gonna be £85 before he cancelled that one time at LFCC a couple yrs back. Not sure what he charged at the con he did after that though.

You're getting your guests and prices mixed up. Christopher Lee would have been £45. It was Mark Hamill who was £85.

I also thought it was funny how Mark Hamill can charge £85 for an autograph - He was a major star in all 3 films, fair enough, but so was Carrie Fisher - and it's not like Hamill's ever done anything else (except maybe some voice work). I'd pretty much sign a blank cheque for Harrison Ford, but £85 for Hamill??

Well having paid not far off £100 twice so far anyway, I am prepared and have paid more for the "right" guest. On those occasions it was Buzz Aldrin & Mark Hamill. In both cases although it was busy but I got handshakes, a hello & a posed photo and I look back at them both as good value for money and do not regret spending it.

Well Pointed out A007...!! I would happily pay £50 to £100 for certain "get-able" individuals such as Timothy Dalton, Roger Moore.... Mark Hamill; £85 "Well Worth It" - Really Chatty & Down To Earth, not rushed (Shatnered), Posed for Great Photo! Long Queue but, considering 30 Years of Galactic History 3 hours of waiting is nothing! For anyone who didn't attend CE, Mark Hamill's Queue on both days was endless, .....a bit like SW Saga Merchandising...!?

When your a serious collector, prices get to be a hard thing to work around. You can only aqfford so many people at ridiculous prices. :P

Fair Comment, but some Guests may literally be once in a lifetime whatever the Price... Anyone remember Pat "Mr Miyagi" Morita? Well Worth it...!!

I find it bewildering that people are willing to "show their hand" in respect to what they will pay. It must be great playing poker with these folk. :YAHOO:

Well if we are to assume that the powers-that-be etc are reading what we say here, I have a few words I'd like them to hear also: GIVE US OUR GODDAMN MONEY'S WORTH. :D

Fair Comment but, Please don't Blaspheme...!!

Exactly, I dont think its a case of the guest wanting to make as much cash as they can (though I suspect its part of it) but rather SM trying to recoup their fees in getting the guest here in the first place.

Many guests actually don't even like to charge fans for autos...

Another Valid Point Nicky... Word is, Dolph Lundgren won't appear for that reason but, maybe he could be persuaded to donate fees to Charity (same as Rutger Hauer) or off-set with Van Damme - I think he may need renumeration, repatriation. Imagine an Universal Soldier reunion....WOW!!!

Another Valid Point Nicky... Word is, Dolph Lundgren won't appear for that reason but, maybe he could be persuaded to donate fees to Charity (same as Rutger Hauer) or off-set with Van Damme - I think he may need renumeration, repatriation. Imagine an Universal Soldier reunion....WOW!!!

Dolph's becoming quite a prolific film director now, and having seen a couple of his films I have to say that while he's no Clint Eastwood, he's a lot more capable that I ever would have expected. Part of that is low low expectations, sure, but he's got some nous about how to pick a shot, and he's a student of film. That has moved my respect for him way higher than his contemporaries!

• Showmasters Admin

well i just found this post and i must say it is a bit pointless as we would not let a tv or film guest charge more than around £25 we have had the odd guest that might change things but even then it would be £30 or £35 but at this time i do not see that being needed

we have kept the price of guests down for many years and still intend to make the guests charge a fair price

this is something we feel very strongly about and if you look at our record we have proven this time and time again

most people thought John Hurt was great value and fair that what we are all about big names at a good price and rare names at a fair price

and one last thing sins we have been running events were there is a cost to get in we have not charged more sins we have started them london 1 is the same price as the last LFCC good value and great guest line up

we try to be fair on price and provide great events

we plan to add more to all the event next year and hope you like what we add

more to come on this

showmasters

very true in that respect, you do a good job on keeping guest prices down, I thought Carl Weathers would've charged quite alot, but £20 was a good price for him........and when I get there and the likes of Oliver Smith (who was doin what as far as I'm aware of, his first convention EVER) was charging £10 I couldn't have been happier, I know there's been alot of handbags flying over cancellations and lack of big attractions, but I will give it to SM, prices are always good! so hat off to ya on that one :P