Doctor Who - series 4 so far

BondageBarbie

So what is everyone thinking of the new series? I think the last two episodes were brilliant; Steven Moffatt's done a brilliant job and he's opened up lots of possibilities for future episodes. The whole character development thing seems to be a hallmark of the episodes he writes.

Edited by TeamGB

Have to say I am loving the new series!! The Library two-parter was particularly fantastic!!! Cant wait for the return of Rose Tyler and a certain classic Who Villain!!

The Agatha Christie episode was amazing too!

Hell its all been good and I'm guessing it's only going to get better!

Not much to say really apart from it is EXCELLENT!!!!!

I am lovin this series - Donna is awsome and I love the relationship forming between her and the Doctor....

I cannot wait for the finale with Rose etc....

My fave ep so far has been Pompai - but I did love the Odd and the Moff 2 parter!!!

I never warmed to Freema last series, so that wasn't great for me. I thought I'd be the same given I don't really like the Catherine Tate show, but I thought shes blown me away in my expectations, I really like her as Donna- just what the Doctor ordered :YAHOO:

I've liked the series so far, be interesting to see if the River story is ever followed up, and what exactly is happening with Rose.

• Moderators

Granted I'm familiar with Tate and her comedy stuff, but I never actually watched her show.

I think it's helped me, as I've not been bugged by her and thinking "oh God, she's slipping into *insert character name* in this scene.." etc, which I can understand some people saying to a certain extent.

I think she's done a really good job with Donna - an entertaining mix of humour with some powerful emotional stuff which I wasn't sure she'd be able to pull off, but she has in a very heartfelt and believable sense.

Tennant's been fantastic as always, and we've had some very good guest stars too. Particularly Tim McInnerny and Alex Kingston for me, but I also liked Georgia Moffett and Christopher Ryan.

It's been a very watchable season, and certainly not as bad as some predicted it would be beforehand. I'm hoping the finale will live up to expectations - though perhaps a little less chanting this year!

I never warmed to Freema last series, so that wasn't great for me. I thought I'd be the same given I don't really like the Catherine Tate show, but I thought shes blown me away in my expectations, I really like her as Donna- just what the Doctor ordered :YAHOO:

I liked Freema but I thought Martha fitted in better with the Torchwood team than as the Doctor's assistant. Despite the differences in age, both Rose and Donna are people who have essentially not seen much outside of their own little bit of the world so they are more in awe of what The Doctor shows them. I get the impression that Martha is a bit more wordly wise and practical, and probably doesn't have her head so high in the clouds.

Catherine Tate has surpassed all my expectations too. I didn't think much of her in the Runaway Bride a couple of years ago, but she's been great this series.

I never warmed to Freema last series, so that wasn't great for me. I thought I'd be the same given I don't really like the Catherine Tate show, but I thought shes blown me away in my expectations, I really like her as Donna- just what the Doctor ordered :D

I liked Freema but I thought Martha fitted in better with the Torchwood team than as the Doctor's assistant. Despite the differences in age, both Rose and Donna are people who have essentially not seen much outside of their own little bit of the world so they are more in awe of what The Doctor shows them. I get the impression that Martha is a bit more wordly wise and practical, and probably doesn't have her head so high in the clouds.

Catherine Tate has surpassed all my expectations too. I didn't think much of her in the Runaway Bride a couple of years ago, but she's been great this series.

I never warmed to Martha either but I preferred her in series 3, especially in the finale and Family of blood/Human Nature..... I don't like the way she has been writen the time round and in Torchwood....

Cannot wait for Rose's return though!]

Really liking this series and it is a great improvement on S3 ( which was good too - dont get me wrong ). Would really like to see Catherine Tate stay - I think she is the best of the new assistants ....

Highlights have been the OOd and the library 2 parter.

Any theories on River Song ... ?

Any theories on River Song ... ?

River song is his future wife / girlfriend, that's the only way she would know his name. I think she could be good as an assistant. Although it would seem that she says he looks younger - not different so not sure how they will explain it (if at all) when Tennant leaves.

But with this being a moffat episode and him taking the helm from RTD I presume something is on the cards.

Yea, I found that whole "younger" thing odd... cos she didn't realise at first, so it must be his face she knew at least at some point, so to explain it, Tennant would have to stay, and Alex Kingston come back... maybe shes already provisionally agreed to that.. maybe its a xmas special... maybe its linked to Rose's return? Maybe shes Rose's daughter or something :S Or the Doctor's! Could be any number of things lol ;)

Yea, I found that whole "younger" thing odd... cos she didn't realise at first, so it must be his face she knew at least at some point, so to explain it, Tennant would have to stay, and Alex Kingston come back... maybe shes already provisionally agreed to that.. maybe its a xmas special... maybe its linked to Rose's return? Maybe shes Rose's daughter or something :S Or the Doctor's! Could be any number of things lol ;)

I took the older thing to mean that maybe as she knew him "after Donna" that something horrid happens to Donna and this leaves the Dr hurt and angry - maybe he grow up a bit as 10 is very "child like" and quite loving taking humans around the universe.... Maybe this all changes.......

I think River is certainly someone extremely close to him - maybe a wife..... I wonder what his name though - and what is the "thing" that happened to make him tell her

I think River is certainly someone extremely close to him - maybe a wife..... I wonder what his name though - and what is the "thing" that happened to make him tell her

I'm presuming the 'thing' that made him tell her was falling in love with her.

Edited by TeamGB

River Song whispered the Doctor's name in his ear, not "The Doctor" but his actual Gallifreyan name. Not even Rose knew that so that's how much he must trust her coz look how much he cared for Rose. Cant wait for the final 3 episodes of Doctor Who. They are gonna be amazing.

All the old faces coming back:

-Captain Jack

-Martha Jones

-Sarah Jane Smith

-Jackie Tyler

-Harriet Jones

-Mickey Smith

-And of course, ROSE!

i reckon River Song wont be back for a long time

id even go as far to say shes his assistant/future wife way way way in the future and as Who has been going over 40 years id say that this story may not be resolved for at least another 40

As for tonights episode...it was PANTS! and yet again we get another pointless gay referance from RTD 10 mins in that has no relevance to the story.

With 13 episodes a season and 4 specials next year this was a surely a wasted episode but im sure the new Who fans will get a semi because Rose appeared yet again on a monitor calling for his help ...not good enough

On another note it was nice to see Pat Troughtons son back in WHO and Tennant was again great but it was on a par with Fear Her and Gridlock for title of worst NEW WHO episode

i know they are saving cash for the finale but this is one of the beebs most popular shows and should have cash to burn because of it

i hope the finale blows us all away and the signs are looking good

and thank god they have nailed the look of big D

MAJOR SPOILER!!!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/21285...102948996zIEzhY

i dunno if im seeing things but i can see a look of Tennant in there

lets just hope we dont get him doing wheelies to the Scissor Sisters

i want EVIL!

Edited by vintageSW77

• Moderators

Well I enjoyed it a lot.

I thought the style of the episode was very different. I loved the claustrophobic feel to it, the smaller episode cast, and the frantic pace created at times too.

Sure, it won't be for everyone, but it made a nice change from the vastness of some other episodes. I can imagine the 'budget' will be going on the final few episodes!

Not every episode needs lots of aliens, guns, explosions etc. Sometimes you can just have a strong story based on dialogue and a few simple tense moments. In fact it probably worked better as a horror story than the previous two parter, which was somewhat distracted by the River Song business. This episode was just straight tense unknown business with a very vulnerable Doctor which we rarely see.

As for the woman saying she had a girlfriend - so what? Why should she have been with a GUY just because it was an RTD episode? It was hardly pointless. No-one would've picked up on it if it were someone different. It didn't matter.

Rose's return has been built up, and clearly she's going to play an important part in the end of the series. I like the fact that they've teased her return, and given people something to look out for. Not good enough? You get people complaining that the show is all about Rose when it shouldn't be .. and you get other people moaning that she's not been in it enough. Yep, you'll never please everyone.

I liked the Donna "theres something on your back" ref at the end... tho not as cryptic as I'd hoped :S

I liked the ep- some strong acting from DT there... hes amazing he can just carry an ep like that on so many levels.

With referance to the budget i could in fact watch Tennant doing an Alan Bennet style monologue for a whole 40 mins solo to camera anyday,i just thought it was more "filler" than "thriller" and the knocking just reminded me of THE HAUNTING

I also didnt think there was much of a story,its alright having a bit of well written dialogue but there was nothing else there to make you care for the characters and it was another reminder that 2 parters are the way forward in 2010

-The gay stuff does matter to RTD

we know RTD is gay but we dont need to be reminded every time he writes an ep by including an all out gay character or a knowing reference

- and finally maybe Rose should not have come back she was great in series NU WHO 1 and 2 but i grew tired of the constant referances last series and the role of Martha suffered for it

a lot of folk seem to think that WHO is all about Rose when its far bigger than that

im pretty certain shell be offed this time...itll be emotional but its time to finish the Doc and Rose show for good

Edited by vintageSW77

I adored last night's episode as it was something different. Sometimes, the big episodes are too generic and episodes like this are a nice change.

Regarding Russell's gay references, I appreciate that they must be boring for some people, but if you look at programmes in the past you will see that some programme makers moved away from gay characters or references. Davies is obviously proud of his lifestyle choice and should be applauded for the subtle gay references, and laugh with him when characters such as Captain Jack prance on screen.

Although I have softened towards Catherine Tate as his assistant, I won't be sad when she goes. For me personally I do not feel she has been a success.

Billie Piper as Rose was, in my opinion, a perfect casting as the bond between her and Eccleston/Tennant has grown bit by bit. Freema, in my opininon, did not suffer in her year as his assistant, as it was clear he was finding it hard to come to terms with losing someone he had grown fond of. With Martha's return as an employee of UNIT this season, you saw an obvious affection from The Doctor towards her. Rose popping up has been a nice change and an obvious, in my opinion, foresight into her being an important part of Who Folklore. The finale looks to be a good one.

River Song as a future wife/girlfriend is too obvious for me. The fact he had no knowledge of her suggests to me that it is a long term set up by a villain in the fifth series with hints in the specials to come. When The Doctor was told that he was "not alone", why should that mean The Master was the only one? The ring was picked up from the funeral fire, so River Song might well be the owner of that hand.

In the realms of TV, especially Sci-Fi, anything can be explained away.

I think this series is most excellent and building to a killer climax. Now, into the TARDIS and fast forward to the DVD release so I can watch the finale now. :angel:

Edited by Abyss

River Song as a future wife/girlfriend is too obvious for me. The fact he had no knowledge of her suggests to me that it is a long term set up by a villain in the fifth series with hints in the specials to come. When The Doctor was told that he was "not alone", why should that mean The Master was the only one? The ring was picked up from the funeral fire, so River Song might well be the owner of that hand.

RTD said it was the Rani who picks up the ring ...."his gift" for future writers and with River Song i doubt the answer of her identity will be resolved soon

not for a few regenerations at least

and the Doctor doesnt interfere with his own future so obviously he has no knowledge of her

Edited by vintageSW77

But he has also said about not messing with the past as future events can be altered causing problems. There are, and probably will be, many suggestions put forward for the identity of River Song. As regards RTD's comments...I have learnt to take such comments made by a writer/producer/director with a mountain of finest salt as in the land of fiction things often do change or are said to swerve fans when the episode is aired. But, these are my opininons and everyone has them. :jason:

and the Doctor doesnt interfere with his own future so obviously he has no knowledge of her

As someone who is a vintage Whovian according to their signature content, if you think back you may well find that all incarnations of The Doctor have said one thing and done another.

With referance to the budget i could in fact watch Tennant doing an Alan Bennet style monologue for a whole 40 mins solo to camera anyday,i just thought it was more "filler" than "thriller" and the knocking just reminded me of THE HAUNTING

But this isn't an Alan Bennett piece, it's Doctor Who!!

-The gay stuff does matter to RTD

we know RTD is gay but we dont need to be reminded every time he writes an ep by including an all out gay character or a knowing reference

Also worth pointing put that in reply to Sky's comment about her ex-girlfriend, The Doctor referred to how he'd lost someone in another universe (Rose?). And there was also a married couple on board. Perhaps RTD should just stop making any references to human relationships full stop. It would kind of take the fun out of it for me though. You write about what you know and hats off to Russell for not shying away from the issue.

I really enjoyed it and thought it was one of the highlights of the series so far :hathor:

As someone who is a vintage Whovian according to their signature content, if you think back you may well find that all incarnations of The Doctor have said one thing and done another.

For the Bennet comment i meant a to camera piece with just Tennant as opposed to a camera piece with the Doctor talking about "having tea and scones with Davros t'other day"

As for the Doc changing his mind yip he has but i dont recall him looking upon his own future in a present incarnation and although he has met his future self in the 2,3 and 5 doctors stories it was the present doctors who encounterd these past incarnations and everything is resolved at the end of the story regarding these meetings.

Edited by vintageSW77