Cosplay at C13...

Hey all. Heres a couple of my thoughts. Intereesting feedback you have all put. I do think its interesting that most of you agree with the reference picture for all entries. Unfortunatly, only about 50% handing in referenece pics therefore the judges had no basis to compare. When I'm judging I don't consider who the character is as for the most part they are unknown to me. I will judge on the quality of the cosplay. I will also judge on the resmbalance of the cosplay to the costume that its meant to represent. Even if its an original creation. A reference of some kind is needed. Therefore I agree that this is an excellent idea.

When it comes to the location of the cosplay comp. While I agree that its location was not very good. I do see the logic of placeing it there. After all, not only the comp must not get in the way of other events connected with SM it also must not effect the shoppers who come to shop. While I feel that the cosplay could benefit from being closer to the main event. It would be difficult to find a location that wouldn't effect the general shopping. I'm assuming in order for SM to run the event in the MK center there will be certain safty and general guide lines that they will have to follow.

The rule reguarding not allowing repeat entries. Was one that was sugguested by me. LadyD agreed with my reasoning behind this. I have been entering cosplay comps since 1992 and have found that most entries do object to anyone who trys to enter the same coslay more than once, whether they had won a prize or not. Feeling that the same might happen here it was felt that the same rule apply. Its one of the reasons I agreed to be resident judge. Now that I've judged several of the SM events I've noticed that the general feeling about this has changed. I would therefore agree that this rule be looked at again and prehaps be relaxed.

I think that the cosplay organisners, LadyD especailly, work hard to work an event that is best for everyone. I know that it is hard to please everyone. All the cosplay organisers are doing this in their freetime and occasionally things don't go occarding to plan. I think its great that LadyD is listerning to your feedback and is willing to take some of your sugguestions into consideration. Quite a few other cosplay organisers wouldn't do this at other events.

Now that I have put forward my thoughts I will post LadyD's (I will do a seperate post for this so that you know its her thought rather than mine).

Edited by Legolassie Malfoy

The following is from LadyD. Her internet is currantly out of action and has asked for me to relay the following.

LadyD

Hi all. Yes, The C13 comp didn't go as well as we had hoped. I'm not happy generally overall. We will be looking at that and inproving it for C14.

I'm agreeing with what quite a few of you have said. After some consideration, I have decided to allow repeat entries of any costume previously worn. The one condition is that it must not of won a prize at any of Showmasters previous events.

Reguarding the Ghostbusters prize, They did also recieve, £75 in cash and some SFX goodies. Therefore, they did have some way of sharing the prize.

I will be setting up the cosplay e-mail prior to LFCC so that if anyone has any sugguestions they would like to make they can send them directly to the cosplay.

Hopefully, I will be back online asap. Therefore will be able to answer any feedback you would like to put across.

LadyD

(end quote)

The following is from LadyD. Her internet is currantly out of action and has asked for me to relay the following.

LadyD

Hi all. Yes, The C13 comp didn't go as well as we had hoped. I'm not happy generally overall. We will be looking at that and inproving it for C14.

I'm agreeing with what quite a few of you have said. After some consideration, I have decided to allow repeat entries of any costume previously worn. The one condition is that it must not of won a prize at any of Showmasters previous events.

Reguarding the Ghostbusters prize, They did also recieve, £75 in cash and some SFX goodies. Therefore, they did have some way of sharing the prize.

I will be setting up the cosplay e-mail prior to LFCC so that if anyone has any sugguestions they would like to make they can send them directly to the cosplay.

Hopefully, I will be back online asap. Therefore will be able to answer any feedback you would like to put across.

LadyD

(end quote)

*huggles both LadyD and Legolassie*

Thank you for changing the re-entering of costumes rules. I really would like to re-enter my Tonks costume until I possibly win something even if it is only 3rd prize I don't mind. Tho I don't think I will be reentering Tonks till atleast Gmex. Tho may do before and just do it as display only. Might I add the display only really needs adding to the actual competition officially. Something that the judges can see along with the audience and also as something that is introduced to the audience so people know whats going on.

Gald your happy with that decision. It was LadyD's overall. But I did suspect it might take place juging by what I have been reading and hearing.

Don't want to get anyones hopes up. By entering a cosplay again dosen't garantee a prize. Sometimes, a cosplay may simperly not what the judges will decide is a good cosplay.

Don't be discuraged though. I just don't want to get anyones hopes up by the change. In fact use it as an oppotunity to really work the cosplays to a really good quality and you'll never know.

It's not so much that we all have ideas above our stations about our costumes! I think it was mainly down to being able to have a second chance at improving and showing the costumes off once more.

I do think that even though it has been relaxed we need to stipulate that maybe the costume has to show evidence of being reworked or improved. Just entering and re-entering the same costume over and over again just doesn't seem right.

The photo idea is a good one and I think it should be enforced. Along with other elements that could work together to improve the overall experience.

LadyD shouldn't be downhearted about the event. You didn't have any technical faults, you had people entering, and you had a good scope of costumes and talent. Though it might not have been a resounding sucess it wasn't a disaster. You now have feedback and some points to work on.

On a more technical side of things (as that's my line of work and something I feel passionate about!) I have some points. :whistling:

The sound system is a bit to be desired. I know "beggars can't be choosers" but the person who set it up needs to have the balance sorted a bit better.

The stage is fine but it really needs a backdrop. Having people looking in through the windows is a bit daunting and can be disrupting. A frame like that of the stage with a tarp or a disused photo-session backdrop stretched over it would be ideal.

Then, something to think of in the future. Rather than just having random music playing for the costumes maybe have some sort of projection. Including the picture of the character and where appropriate a video clip of them in action. This could be a problem due to licencing laws and broadcasting copyright. It's a simple I.T task of hooking up a computer to a projector. Which in turn will be hooked up to the sound. Everything can be controlled from a simple laptop.

Graphic wise, you need consistancy and something that links you into the Showmasters. I'm sure if you ask nicely SM's will provide a large printed sign.

I think the cosplaying area needs to be more like a stall than a place that just the area the competition is held. demonstrations should be held, maybe somewhere for people to work on costumes, an area to have some of the better costumes put on display? This is why I think the C12 position for the costume competition was far better than C13.

Right I have gone on a bit, so I'll leave it there.

I just want to say thank you to the cosplay organisers for listening to our views on the re-entering situation. We were a little disappointed when we were told we weren't allowed to re-enter our costumes, and I'm quite happy that you've listened to our opinions.

One thing I would like to thank the cosplay organisers for (this wasn't at C13 though!) is sorting out music. I brought music on a pen drive to Collectormania 4 at the Gmex and the cosplay organisers worked hard to get the music for my entry to the cosplay competition then return the pen drive to me halfway through the day. I just want to say a big thank you for that, because it just shows how much effort they're willing to put into the competition and make it great for everyone. Thank you!

I'd like to say that showing improvements in a costume would be a nice choice, but sometimes you get so many incredible costumes in one cosplay competition that you can't award them all prizes, and some amazing costumes do have to walk away without being given a reward for their hard work. (I'm not being biased at all just because she's my friend) But take Selph's Mrs Lovett for example - I know that months of hard work went into that costume, and when she entered at Collectormania Gmex there were such a large number of great cosplays that she didn't get a prize. The two of us were disappointed when she wasn't allowed to re-enter at C13, because we believed our group of friends were the only cosplayers there until it actually came to the cosplay competition because there was such a lack of them this time around. If we hadn't ended up going to the after party of Collectormania, Selph would have never won a prize for her Mrs Lovett cosplay at a Collectormania event, and she would have been very disappointed.

But anyway yeah xD I'm glad the rules of the cosplay competition have been changed because some people who deserve a prize don't end up getting one. I'd like to agree reference pictures are a must from now on, although I can see the problems with that. A way of seeing the character the cosplayer is trying to portray from the audience would be a nice idea too, because I've been to a few masquerades and have had no idea who the people are supposed to be xD The microphone is a bit off as well, because sometimes you can't hear what's going on and it does get a bit confusing.

I've rambled a bit LOL. In short - Just thank you for listening to us. :thumbup:

Ok, here we go - In summary:

• Needs a better location within the constraints of CM in the MK:Centre.
  • The aesthetics for the event need work.
  • Rules need a full review. With clearer detail.
  • Need to make the event more approachable.
  • Promotion, promotion, promotion!

But that is ofcourse, my opinion only. Now, for lunch!

Ok, here we go - In summary:

• Needs a better location within the constraints of CM in the MK:Centre.
  • The aesthetics for the event need work.
  • Rules need a full review. With clearer detail.
  • Need to make the event more approachable.
  • Promotion, promotion, promotion!

But that is ofcourse, my opinion only. Now, for lunch!

I agree with most of the points put forward. I do agree with the need of a backdrop so that cosplayers are more confortable on stage and its better for anyone photographing it.

I do heartly agree with the ref photos being a must. I'm about to post a thread that will have tips about the ref photos.

I agree that the rules need to be laid out clearly and prehaps be visable at the cosplay table. I do think though that we should reach a point that the rules are finalized. Afterall, I don't know of too many events where so many rule changes have been made at the request of the cosplayers. I think cosplayers are lucky that LadyD has been willing to change the rules to suit.

Promotion is a tricky one as I do know that LadyD trys her best with this one. SM dose need to help out with this area as well.

I agree with the need for a better display. One that I'm happy to help with (I hold a BA joint honours in Drama/Art). So I might be able to set something up once my house move is done.

I think that once everything is sorted it will be an excellent comp. Thanks to LadyD and all the others who have put it together.

Not sure if this is any help or not but my boyfriends uncle works at a printing shop and I was going to see if I could coller him into getting his uncle to make some leaflets for C14 and possibly the next Gmex. This way they can be given out at the event. Only problem being is that you would have to know where the cosplay table is going to be and what time it is going to be before the event or you would have to write on where it is on the actual first day of the con. My boyfriend and I don't mind handing them out at cons to try and promote the cosplay event some more.

On another note tho if you dont have a time or place maybe just general leaflets can be made and then when they are handed out then give the person the time and location. This may be a better idea.

I also think maybe asking Showmasters if posters can be made for the front doors of the G-mex so as people walk in they can see them. And maybe see if SM will let you leave some of the posters/leaflets etc on the organisers booth.

If LadyD is listening to the suggestions (which it is evident she is, I mean, not many people would adapt something like the rules for people) I think that people would be will to take time out to help her.

So we have performers, we have people willing to print and publicise and I am a qualified IT technician so I can help with projections, videos and slightly off the wall effects if need be. I'm also semi-qualified stage technician too (so like the Drama/arts only behind the scenes!).

The help is here and we can so make this the best Cosplay community out there!

That's why it should be necessary to have an email where to send the ref pic and inscriptions in advance so no "i forgot my pic" excuse...

That's what we have at the BCT, and it helps greatly. Helps you planify a bit how much people you'll have at minimum, and such...

Ah, and if you forget your pic, in a place like MK's shopping mall, it shouldn't be that hard to find a "replacement"... (i mean as long as you are playing a main character or stuff like that, you can always buy something referential...)

I would agree with you there, Cookie. Reference shouldn't be a problem if your at a Collectormaina. If you are struggling to find printing I'm sure that e-mailing the pic will help with that.

I agree with fun stuff to brighern up the cosplay stand. I can deffently help with that at G-mex as I'm a ten min bus ride from the G-mex. The MK might be a bit more difficult.