And you thought remaking "Get Carter" was a dumb idea...

TommyT

I don't know, not all re-makes were bad:

The Fly

The Wizard of Oz

Dawn of the Dead

King Kong

The Italian Job

to name a few.

Some may say they weren't as good as the originals, but surely it can't be said they were bad.

I don't know, not all re-makes were bad:

The Fly

The Wizard of Oz

Dawn of the Dead

King Kong

The Italian Job

to name a few.

Some may say they weren't as good as the originals, but surely it can't be said they were bad.

No, but Casablanca is both a brilliant and an iconic film, which means going anywhere near it is very risky. And Madonna's cinematic track record doesn't exactly fill one with confidence; nobody's going to mistake her resume for Meryl Streep's or Sigourney Weaver's are they?

Evita was her only success. And yes, other remakes may have been good but this is Casablanca we're talking about. Remember the uproar when Gus Van Sant remade Hitchcock's Psycho in 1998...it would cause an even bigger stir than that.

Edited by nicky

I don't think re-making Casablanca will harm the original's reputation. I mean Van Sant's 'Psycho' didn't make people stop wanting to see Hitchcock's original.

Besides the basic plot of Casablanca has already been remade...anyone remember Pammy in Barb Wire? Nope? It'll be the same with Madge. She hardly has the greatest reputation as an actress and I feel her version will be forgotten long before the DVD release, if not sooner.