Did Jason get his flag back?

I have to say I was very taken aback at the attitude of some people on the Saturday night. Basically if it wasn't nailed to the floor people took it. i watched one family with a young son removing the Petrelli posters from the walls to take them along with the table decorations. What a wonderful example to set their son! Where on earth did people get the idea that they were entitled to do that?

At most conventions you can be comfortable knowing that if you left your bag for five minutes you could come back and it would still be there. I have to say having seen people's behaviour on Saturday night I wasn't entirely comfortable that some of the attendees wouldn't rob the fillings out of your teeth if you sat still for 2 seconds!

Really atrocious behaviour.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I was very taken aback at the attitude of some people on the Saturday night. Basically if it wasn't nailed to the floor people took it. i watched one family with a young son removing the Petrelli posters from the walls to take them along with the table decorations. What a wonderful example to set their son! Where on earth did people get the idea that they were entitled to do that?

At most conventions you can be comfortable knowing that if you left your bag for five minutes you could come back and it would still be there. I have to say having seen people's behaviour on Saturday night I wasn't entirely comfortable that some of the attendees wouldn't rob the fillings out of your teeth if you sat still for 2 seconds!

Really atrocious behaviour.

I know its bad, but you have to remember there were a lot of people going to this convention who had never been to a convention before. I've seen newbies going to other cons before, but I heard there were a lot more newbies at this con, then any other one I have ever been too, maybe they some of them didn't know they couldn't take the posters etc, though granted steeling of any kind is wrong no matter whether your new to conventions or not

:headscratch:

LLAP :pyth:

I know its bad, but you have to remember there were a lot of people going to this convention who had never been to a convention before.

I don't think thieving anything that isn't nailed to the floor has anything to do with whether people are new to conventions or not. if you went round someone's house for a party you wouldn't nick the cutlery. There were unfortunately a fair few thieves at the event and I think that for next time people need to be very very aware of this and not do the sort of things that they could normally do at a convention such as leave a bag or camera on a table and go onto the dance floor. It's unfortunate but there you go.

ooooo, i was looking back at my pictures, and the last photo's i have of the BIG flag, and remembering the BIG flag, was when someone was wearing it as a dress... i left at about 1.30, so god knows what happened to it after that.

i left my bag and shoes on the stage for half of the night and they didnt get taken.. im glad, and i feel sorry for the jedi's that they had stuff taken.. thats mean :poki:

i dont understand the idea of someone walking up to a wall, and taking stuff from it, while people are clearly watching you! i think its crazy... newbie or not, you dont steal.. i mean, if you were at a friends party, you wouldnt take the happy birthday banners from the walls would you?

pffft, some people, im actually pissed that the person who took jasons flag didnt give it back.... i mean seriously, what would you do with a flag that big anyways? lmao.

I know its bad, but you have to remember there were a lot of people going to this convention who had never been to a convention before. I've seen newbies going to other cons before, but I heard there were a lot more newbies at this con, then any other one I have ever been too, maybe they some of them didn't know they couldn't take the posters etc, though granted steeling of any kind is wrong no matter whether your new to conventions or not

:poki:

LLAP :borg:

"Don't steal" should be something learned through all of life, not at your first convention.

If I hear the word newbie in connection with something being stolen, guests being scared away and some other things that went wrong at the con then I'm gonna throw a M****f***ing fit.

Ive been a newbie and I think I behaved well for my first con. Like most of the Newbies as well. I didn't push while waiting for the talks (but I guess a lot of "old con goers" where right there at the front pushing along), didn't chase the guests around or doing something else stupid. I would say that probably most newbies behaved in a good way. We did mistakes (like me walking into the photo shoots the wrong way and getting yelled at by the photographer.) but mistakes happen. All this newbies talk all over the forum makes it look like as everything is our fault. Whats next? 3rd world famine is our fault as well? :YAHOO:

But to assume that everything that went wrong at the con has to do with loads of newbies being around is so annoying. Like all newbies would be stupid idiots not knowing how to behave :wub: Seriously!! :wub:

And Jason. I hope you get your flag back soon!! And thanks for letting the Sarmy use the guest chairs on Sunday night for a private photo shoot :wub:

If I hear the word newbie in connection with something being stolen, guests being scared away and some other things that went wrong at the con then I'm gonna throw a M****f***ing fit.

Ive been a newbie and I think I behaved well for my first con. Like most of the Newbies as well. I didn't push while waiting for the talks (but I guess a lot of "old con goers" where right there at the front pushing along), didn't chase the guests around or doing something else stupid. I would say that probably most newbies behaved in a good way. We did mistakes (like me walking into the photo shoots the wrong way and getting yelled at by the photographer.) but mistakes happen. All this newbies talk all over the forum makes it look like as everything is our fault. Whats next? 3rd world famine is our fault as well? :thumbup:

But to assume that everything that went wrong at the con has to do with loads of newbies being around is so annoying. Like all newbies would be stupid idiots not knowing how to behave :YAHOO: Seriously!! :huh:

And Jason. I hope you get your flag back soon!! And thanks for letting the Sarmy use the guest chairs on Sunday night for a private photo shoot :lol:

I did say some of them, and not all of them, I was new once at a con too, we all were once, and even some of the people who have been doing these things for years can be right ar*e holes too, obviously not everyone who is new nicked stuff etc, I bet some of the posters taken down were not taken down by newbies but people who had been doing conventions for years...

I suppose it can just be easier for people to blaim this type of bad behavour on newbies

I'm sorry if I offended you in some way that was not my intention...

:dance:

LLAP :borg:

Edited by zebredy

• Showmasters Admin

I can understand why the posters and banners were taken. Everyone wants a souvenir of the events they've attended. And also if you see someone taking a poster, you're much more likely to think it's acceptable and take one yourself (the "if he can, why can't I" syndrome).

At the very end of the night we saw a few people taking the table centre pieces (a common practice at weddings and the like) and we're fine with that. However we did have plans to keep the banners and wall plaques (which weren't exactly cheap to produce!) and include them in the charity auction at Eclipse 2.

The other point is, they were there to decorate the party. Yet it wasn't even midnight and the walls were bare!

Still, ce la vie!

Andrea

It's lovely that you're taking such a sanguine attitude but I was genuinely quite shocked at seeing people stripping the walls bare. Especially teh family with the child who then brazenly had it autographed by Christine on teh Saturday - what sort of appalling message did that send that young boy? I'm just intrigued as to why anyone - newbie or otherwise - thought that actually stripping items off the walls was acceptable. When you go to a cinema to see a film noone thinks the price of the ticket allows them to take home the posters on the walls as well!

Overall I thought (with the sadly inevitable exception of the guests getting mobbed at the Saturday night party) that everyone behaved very well but outright theft is quite hard to just wave away. And sadly this is the first convention I have ever been to in 5 years where it has been an issue. I mean the Jedi Chef posters (which are not cheap to produce) were stolen off the walls! We've been going to conventions for years and have never had that happen before.

It's ugly, ugly behaviour and all I guess you can do is ensure that at the next event everyone is much, much more cautious about where they leave their belongings (to the extent that a reference should probably be included in the con booklet) and those looking after the attendees be sadly more aware that some of them may have sticky fingers.

It was the only aspect of the convention that really did disappoint me greatly because at most conventions there is this wonderful sense of community amongst the fans and it will be difficult to build up that kind of atmosphere when you're constantly wondering if the person stood next to you is going to wander off with your digital camera if you leave it on the table unattended.

• Showmasters Admin

chill! we have found the flag and all is cool, and when there is a party things like this happen. :dance:

so lets all be friends new con goers and old school con goers were are all there for the same thing we love Heroes :thumbup:

see you soon

Jason :YAHOO:

It's lovely that you're taking such a sanguine attitude but I was genuinely quite shocked at seeing people stripping the walls bare. Especially teh family with the child who then brazenly had it autographed by Christine on teh Saturday - what sort of appalling message did that send that young boy? I'm just intrigued as to why anyone - newbie or otherwise - thought that actually stripping items off the walls was acceptable. When you go to a cinema to see a film noone thinks the price of the ticket allows them to take home the posters on the walls as well!

Overall I thought (with the sadly inevitable exception of the guests getting mobbed at the Saturday night party) that everyone behaved very well but outright theft is quite hard to just wave away. And sadly this is the first convention I have ever been to in 5 years where it has been an issue. I mean the Jedi Chef posters (which are not cheap to produce) were stolen off the walls! We've been going to conventions for years and have never had that happen before.

It's ugly, ugly behaviour and all I guess you can do is ensure that at the next event everyone is much, much more cautious about where they leave their belongings (to the extent that a reference should probably be included in the con booklet) and those looking after the attendees be sadly more aware that some of them may have sticky fingers.

It was the only aspect of the convention that really did disappoint me greatly because at most conventions there is this wonderful sense of community amongst the fans and it will be difficult to build up that kind of atmosphere when you're constantly wondering if the person stood next to you is going to wander off with your digital camera if you leave it on the table unattended.

Let me get this straight.... someone took the Jedi Chef posters off the walls outside the main hall....

WOW, did not know that....

Can I just ask what your view point is on the movie boards on the railings at movie premieres????? When you go to those everyone takes them off the railings as a monento of the day.....

I have a few under my bed at home!!!

All this newbies talk all over the forum makes it look like as everything is our fault. Whats next? 3rd world famine is our fault as well? ;)

Finally someone admits too it! :P:lol:

The flag is winging it's way back to us now! Thank you everyone for looking out for it, it's much appreciated.

While its cool that its been found and on its way back, I think its pretty bad it only showed up after Jason mentioned about looking after whoever could return it at eclipse 2! First it gets stolen, then only returned when bribed!

I assume someone took it when they had a bit too much to drink and weren't thinking straight and were too embarrassed to say anything..then when Jason said it was special and he'd like it back..and he wouldn't be annoyed they probably 'fessed up.. i don't think it was bribary - or a newbie as such it could have been anyone i have seen crazier things happen at weddings - I think we should blame the alcohol and leave it at that! lol