General Event Questions & Queries

Queen_Sindel

There hasn't been any official information about this yet.

Going from the Eclipse schedule of events (see here: http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....showtopic=36894 ) the closing ceremony there should be finished at around 6.30 PM.

However, sometimes things overrun at events. So this time is not set in stone. It should be a good estimate though if things are done similar to Eclipse at Chevron 7.

Where are you coming from? If you don't live that far away getting home Sunday won't be a problem. If you're coming from abroad like me or if you have several hours to drive you should consider staying Sunday night as well.

Thank you! I'm only coming from Essex so it's not a problem getting home Sunday night - I just didn't want to miss any parties if there was anything going on later Sunday night!

Emerald

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! I'm only coming from Essex so it's not a problem getting home Sunday night - I just didn't want to miss any parties if there was anything going on later Sunday night!

Emerald

You're welcome. :P

There is a Sunday night party scheduled for Eclipse. But the "big" parties are usually going on Friday and Saturday. Usually a big nmber of people is leaving Sunday already, so you wouldn't be the only one.

There hasn't been any official information about this yet.

Going from the Eclipse schedule of events (see here: http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....showtopic=36894 ) the closing ceremony there should be finished at around 6.30 PM.

However, sometimes things overrun at events. So this time is not set in stone. It should be a good estimate though if things are done similar to Eclipse at Chevron 7.

Where are you coming from? If you don't live that far away getting home Sunday won't be a problem. If you're coming from abroad like me or if you have several hours to drive you should consider staying Sunday night as well.

Emerald

Hey I might be coming and I'm from Essex, which part are you coming from, I'm not sure whether I am coming or not yet as if I do go I might be going on my own, as my fiance (a big SG fan) isn't really interested in this Showmasters run convention, and I don't think my other SG friend, who goes to the gate events with me will want to come either...

One question why has the age for children changed for this event, wasn't it under 16 was child for the other massive events convention?

:D

LLAP ;)

This is probably a stupid question but do tickets/programs get posted closer to the day? Just thought I ask now incase the post office had managed to lose something.

You'll get a letter about two weeks prior to the show. :poki:

You have to take this letter and some form of ID with you to the event where you'll get your registration pack when you register.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I might be coming and I'm from Essex, which part are you coming from, I'm not sure whether I am coming or not yet as if I do go I might be going on my own, as my fiance (a big SG fan) isn't really interested in this Showmasters run convention, and I don't think my other SG friend, who goes to the gate events with me will want to come either...

Hi Zebredy! I'm coming from Southend and it would be great to meet up with other SG fans in the area because I think right now I'm the only one!! My husband can't stand it (personally I think he's just jealous of Michael Shanks' hair seeing as hubby doesn't have any left :angry:) , and all my other friends look at me as if I'm wierd *sigh* I probably am wierd, but not just for liking SG :WAVE:

So if you want to, get in touch and maybe we could meet up!

Emerald

x

Having never been to one of these things before, can anyone tell me: are any of the parties likely to be fancy dress? Is there anything else I should know about the social events so I can be well prepared?

Cheers me dears!

Emerald

x

Edited by Emerald

Having never been to one of these things before, can anyone tell me: are any of the parties likely to be fancy dress?

Fancy dress? You mean such "mottos" like the Petrelli Ball at Eclipse?

That's possible, Lockdown does have such parties announced as well. :D

Hi Zebredy! I'm coming from Southend and it would be great to meet up with other SG fans in the area because I think right now I'm the only one!! My husband can't stand it (personally I think he's just jealous of Michael Shanks' hair seeing as hubby doesn't have any left :D) , and all my other friends look at me as if I'm wierd *sigh* I probably am wierd, but not just for liking SG :D

So if you want to, get in touch and maybe we could meet up!

Emerald

x

Having never been to one of these things before, can anyone tell me: are any of the parties likely to be fancy dress? Is there anything else I should know about the social events so I can be well prepared?

Cheers me dears!

Emerald

x

Hi there, I actually come from Rainham which is really only 45mins from Sounthend, though I do go there every week due to one of the groups I belong too

I belong to a group called SG-2, we dress up in SG gear (well most of us do 1 or 2 don't want to) and go to conventions and military fairs (to get more clothing stuff) together.

We used to have proper meetings, down near Rayleigh Weir but the person who is in charge of the group hasn't set any dates for any future meetings yet, as I think she wants to make them a little more structured then they used to be.

There's about 12-16 of us that belong to this group, ages ranging from 26-50 something, with all the members also being a part of a Trek group that meets every Friday 8-11pm at Hockley Community Centre.

They decided to have two groups because Stargate was kind of taking over the Trek group and some of the Trek members aren't into Stargate...

If you want any more information on anything, or want to talk directly to me then just check out my sig below.

Nice to hear back from you

zebredy

:wub:

LLAP :D

Edited by zebredy

• Showmasters Admin

[One question why has the age for children changed for this event, wasn't it under 16 was child for the other massive events convention?

My guess would be to bring the age limit for conventions in line with the signing events.

Any idea of what the rule for allowing flash photography is going to be yet? The website still states it will be allowed for 15 minutes but that didn't happen at Eclipse, which I was exceedingly annoyed about especially after having spoken to someone on the Friday after the opening ceremony where it was said it would only be a minute or two and was assured it would be at least five, which never happened. I'm small and as the stage is so low it was incredibly difficult to take a decent photo in that tiny amount of time as everyone else and their cameras was in the way.

Are we going to get fifteen minutes as stated (and usually practiced elsewhere) or just five as at Showmasters' signing events where they have talks or just a very paltry 1 or 2 minutes? Anyone have any ideas? If it's just one or two, I probably won't bother going but can live fairly happily with five, if we're not going to get the fifteen promised!

• Moderators

The short amount of time seemed to work well enough at Eclipse, so I'd be surprised if they went with anything longer.

You'd really miss out on the whole event just because of a short amount of time for photography?

The short amount of time seemed to work well enough at Eclipse, so I'd be surprised if they went with anything longer.

You'd really miss out on the whole event just because of a short amount of time for photography?

Actually, I know from my groups of friends it didn't work that well for quite a few of us. None of my group were especially happy as we had expected longer as stated on the website. Also the low stage and thus poor view did not help one iota and I know others have stated the same thing elsewhere on the Eclipse 1 Board.

One of the reason I love going to events is to take photographs of the actors (to whit I invested in a decent dSLR). Out of all the guests on both days I got what I would consider 3 good photos. Most other weekend events I get a couple of dozen (depending on how many actors there are). Very often I already have signatures and I do love the talks very much but the photographic part for me is a big, big thing. Also I found the talks at Eclipse rather short so if you combine that with only a minute or so for photos, yup, I won't be buying a ticket :D Others go to meet friends or to hear the talks or to have professional photographs taken with the actors or to get things signed, I go to take photos :P Of course, I invariably end up spending money on other things as I get tempted but the big temptation for me to go in the first place is the opportunity to take a few decent snaps!

Edited by thefreckles

I completely understand WHY they do it, but it's a pain in the bottom for me! LOL! My flash takes so long to recharge that I gave up even trying by halfway through the Sunday. I wouldn't want flashes going off in my face for 15 minutes though, that's for sure. Be considerate!

I completely understand WHY they do it, but it's a pain in the bottom for me! LOL! My flash takes so long to recharge that I gave up even trying by halfway through the Sunday. I wouldn't want flashes going off in my face for 15 minutes though, that's for sure. Be considerate!

I am considerate (and resent the implication that I'm not), which is why I never go over any limit imposed and would be happy with five minutes (see my post). Even when I've been to places where they've had unlimited flash, I'll still switch to no flash photography after a while as it's not fair to blind them like you said :o I've been in conditions myself where I've been photographed constantly with flash cameras for over an hour so do know how annoying and painful it can get after a while.

Same as you, my flash takes a wee while to recharge, hence my discontent. Plus when I booked it was with the understanding that I would get more than 60 or 120 seconds to take any photos! I sincerely hope they do rethink this and take down the very misleading 15 minutes still up if that is not going to be the case. If it isn't, I hope they allow their usual five minutes as 1-2 minutes is far too little time. Of course, if the actor is jet-lagged, has a headache or any personal objections for any other reasons, then that is another story and should just be stated.

One of the reason I love going to events is to take photographs of the actors (to whit I invested in a decent dSLR).

Which dSLr have you got?

With mine I can jack up the ISO manually and usually get good photos even without flash.

An Olympus E-510. I can take just acceptable photos with it but there is too much noise at ISO 800, which I had to use at Eclipse due to the low lighting conditions in the hall. ISO 1600 with the Oly (and most dSLRs) just gives unusable photos even if you clean them up with Noise Ninja or Neat Image etc. Nothing like the decent photos I can take with a flash though, of course. I like at least 2 photos of each actor to be pin sharp and you can't get that manually indoors without flash due to light and movement and lack of tripod (though my Oly has IS and I do use a monopod) etc. and I can usually get those within 5 minutes or so.

Edited by thefreckles

An Olympus E-510. I can take just acceptable photos with it but there is too much noise at ISO 800, which I had to use at Eclipse due to the low lighting conditions in the hall. ISO 1600 with the Oly (and most dSLRs) just gives unusable photos even if you clean them up with Noise Ninja or Neat Image etc. Nothing like the decent photos I can take with a flash though, of course. I like at least 2 photos of each actor to be pin sharp and you can't get that manually indoors without flash due to light and movement and lack of tripod (though my Oly has IS and I do use a monopod) etc. and I can usually get those within 5 minutes or so.

Now you scare me about the lights at Eclipse.

I got a Canon EOS 350D and all I sometimes have to fight with ISO 1600 is a bit of a yellowish tint if I use it inside. :o

Now you scare me about the lights at Eclipse.

I got a Canon EOS 350D and all I sometimes have to fight with ISO 1600 is a bit of a yellowish tint if I use it inside. :o

Re the yellowish tint. Probably a really stupid question but have you tried adjusting your White Balance? That can usually get rid of such colour casts. Can be done in camera or post processing for the most part. I tend to use 'Daylight' or 'Neutral' with flash or outdoors for the most part (5300 - 5500 / custom white balance) or, if in manual without flash, Tungsten or whatever is appropriate if indoors. That gets rid of the worst of any casts/tints, if not all of them, and can be tweaked manually post processing to get a pleasing result anyway. Failing that, do you shoot RAW? It's so much easier to correct WB, remove colour cast, correct exposure etc. with that whilst processing the RAW files. This can make an enormous difference and doesn't take much time to do at all (presuming you haven't constantly changed your settings whilst shooting).

Re the yellowish tint. Probably a really stupid question but have you tried adjusting your White Balance? That can usually get rid of such colour casts. Can be done in camera or post processing for the most part. I tend to use 'Daylight' or 'Neutral' with flash or outdoors for the most part (5300 - 5500 / custom white balance) or, if in manual without flash, Tungsten or whatever is appropriate if indoors. That gets rid of the worst of any casts/tints, if not all of them, and can be tweaked manually post processing to get a pleasing result anyway. Failing that, do you shoot RAW? It's so much easier to correct WB, remove colour cast, correct exposure etc. with that whilst processing the RAW files. This can make an enormous difference and doesn't take much time to do at all (presuming you haven't constantly changed your settings whilst shooting).

Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it. :D

Yes, the White Balance is the first thing I tried. Unfortunately that wasn't it. The tint is usually very easy to remove, but depending on how many pictures I took it can be a lot of work.

I tried shooting RAW once but didn't like the results. I have to admit, I'm blanking at the moment on what file type the camera is saving the pictures as now.

Maybe we should make a photography topic in General Chat. :(

Another dumb question. I think this was answered earlier but either I'm tired or just plain thick! (Probably that one!!) :D

Talking of photography...............I have bought a Golden Ticket, which I believe admits me to the photoshoots amongst other things.

Do I still have to buy the photoshoot with each guest as well?

Sorry!! :dance:

Another dumb question. I think this was answered earlier but either I'm tired or just plain thick! (Probably that one!!) :blink:

Talking of photography...............I have bought a Golden Ticket, which I believe admits me to the photoshoots amongst other things.

Do I still have to buy the photoshoot with each guest as well?

Sorry!!:wub:

No, you get one photo shoot with each guest automatically with your Gold Ticket. So if you don't want to do two or more with a certain guest, you are all set. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Its a sorta rhetorical question as I am sure you do not know the answer Queen_Sindel or Too Tall, but do you think there will be any female guests at this event?

Personally I think there may be at least one - Lexa Doig is doing rather well on the poll and she's been doing events with Michael lately. But that's just my opinion. She may not want to travel overseas with him because of the kids.

The only ones who can answer this for sure are Showmasters. Maybe this one will be answered when the next guest gets announced. :poki: