Photography

sock007

Dave, I see you as a sensible and fair person.

If we have ‘photography’ at this event – and the dreaded ‘no posed pictures’ signs.

Can we have review of the current procedures [re: pricing for multiple people in one shot, overall quality, etc, etc].

Just in case the astronauts decide to use the "no posed photos" rule and we have to rely on professionally taken photos, who will own the copyright. I like to take photos of my son with the astronauts and use them as screen savers etc. With a professionaly taken photo I assume the copyright remains with the photographer which would prevent me from scanning the photo to use electronically.

Does anyone know about the copyright rules at this particular event ?

Steve

:YAHOO:-->

QUOTE(Steve B @ Sep 18 2007, 06:38 PM) 1117736[/snapback]

Just in case the astronauts decide to use the "no posed photos" rule and we have to rely on professionally taken photos, who will own the copyright. I like to take photos of my son with the astronauts and use them as screen savers etc. With a professionaly taken photo I assume the copyright remains with the photographer which would prevent me from scanning the photo to use electronically.

Steve

Do you really think the photographer is going to care if you scan YOUR photo?? I'd imagine that most people would assume (as I would) that THEIR photo is theirs to do with whatever they wish... whether that be scanning to use as a screensaver or scan to upload to your own personal webpage.

• Moderators

Hello everyone

Just to clear this up.

The only reason that we ever use the no posed photos rule is purely and simply that we want to get all the people through and have them get everything they want signed. We have never limited the amount of items you can have signed as this is after all first and foremost an autograph show. It is likely that Buzz and Gene Cernan will be extremely busy especially on saturday so if we need to limit or stop posed photos then we will do so but only if the queue warrants it. To be honest given the choice of a quick snap at a signing table or a special posed backdrop photo i know which i would rather have. This is why we have kept the cost down to what we feel is a reasonable price for a posed photo. Garry and i have put a lot of thought into the photo shoot this year and i do not think you will be dissapointed.

Another reason for limiting the posed photo rule is that all these astronauts are now in their seventies and eighties and to keep standing up all the time for photos does tend to wear them out. One other factor that you also have to remember is that these guys have been to the moon and are not just one film wonders, so of course they tend to get asked much more in depth questions and they do like to chat so all this takes time and that might be o.k if you are number one in the queue but it is most decidedly not o.k if you are number 500 and something.

So with all that said here are my tips if you want to meet Buzz, Gene or Alan Bean.

1/ Buy a gold pass and get a low number v.q ticket

2/ If you are coming on saturday or for both days go see all the other guests first and then get Buzz in the afternoon you can then use your low number to join the queue whenever you wish.

3/ If you really want a great picture with any of these 3 go order a ticket for the photo shoot or even better get yourself a ticket to the dinner and grab a great relaxed photo at the drinks reception.

4/ These guys are not getting any younger and i doubt you will see a line up like this again so get everything you need signed and grab all the photo ops you can. Garry and i know only too well to our cost that we waited too long to get Space legends Pete Conrad and Gordon Cooper don't make the same mistake we did. These guys are real Heroes so make sure you meet them before it is too late.

Hope that clears up a few points for you all

Dave Phillips

:thumbup:-->

QUOTE(Steve B @ Sep 18 2007, 06:38 PM) 1117736[/snapback]

Steve

A little bit of not very well known British copyright law. If you are in the image/photo you co hold the copyright with the photographer UNLESS he gets you to sign a waver signing over your likeness to him/Autographica, in which case they would own the copyright.

Yes they would be able to use this image in any promotion material, but they would not be able to profit i.e. sell it on with out your permission.

There is a quick way of them owning more of the copyright and that would be to logo the photograph with the Autographica Logo/Showmasters Logo. But Showmasters are one of the few convention companies that does not do this which is good for us. But even then they would not own your whole likeness.

This also goes with us, you would not be able to profit from selling the photo as you dont hold all of the copyright but would be able to use it for any personnel use, including putting it up on the internet, again a non profit website.

As you can tell I used to deal with things like this. Thank god I dont any more, it did my head in.

SciFiMAD

Does the no posed photo's rule apply to the non Astronaut guests?hope not!

I think Dave has only mentioned the two Astronauts as an example because they are the ones who probably will be the busiest guests. If other guests are extremely busy, there may be a "no posed photo" rule for them as well.

Does the no posed photo's rule apply to the non Astronaut guests?hope not!

I think Dave has only mentioned the two Astronauts as an example because they are the ones who probably will be the busiest guests. If other guests are extremely busy, there may be a "no posed photo" rule for them as well.

It might be a lot like Jim Lovell at the last Autographica, where you could not have posed photos but, there was a crew member taking photos with your Camera as you where getting things signed. Fred last year was doing posed photos so Gene might be in the same vane.