Guest Announcement - Ossie Ardiles

We are very pleased to announce Ossie Ardiles will be joining us for Sportsmania!

Ossie was a cult hero at Tottenham, arriving with Ricky Villa shortly after both of them had won the world cup with Argentina. He made 221 appearances for Spurs, and went on to a long management career, which included Spurs!

iteme5261.jpg

Edited by Sportsmania

We are very pleased to announce Ossie Ardiles will be joining us for Sportsmania!

Ossie was a cult hero at Tottenham, arriving with Ricky Villa shortly after both of them had won the world cup with Argentina. He made 221 appearances for Spurs, and went on to a long management career, which included Spurs!

iteme5261.jpg

With Ricky Villa, the first foreign players to play in the UK.

Villa and Ardilles were indeed the first "foreign" players to be brought into the UK to play in the English League.

Only almost 70 years out...

Ever heard of:

Max Seeburg or

Nils Middelboe

No I hadn't actually! But now I've looked I know why - neither really set the game alight (and I don't tend to follow football from before the late 70's when I was 5 or 6!!)

I guess I should have explained better. They were (to my knowledge) the first players from outside of europe to appear in top flight English football. I remember at the time it being massive news and a major coup for Spurs which we didn't see again till signing Klinsmann in the mid 90's (he'd be a great guest!).

Both Ossie and Ricky are really friendly and happy to chat and pose for photos.

Frank - why so aggressive in your responses??

Villa and Ardilles were indeed the first "foreign" players to be brought into the UK to play in the English League.

Only almost 70 years out...

Ever heard of:

Max Seeburg or

Nils Middelboe

Max Seeburg, although born in Liepzig, moved to the UK at the age of two, so never played football before moving to the UK.

Nils Middelboe I will give you, and that was almost 95 years ago.

But OK if you want to be more specific then I will rephrase my response and will state that Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa opened the doors to the modern trend of clubs going abroad to purchase world class players, which has become the norm in todays Premiership.

But OK if you want to be more specific then I will rephrase my response and will state that Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa opened the doors to the modern trend of clubs going abroad to purchase world class players, which has become the norm in todays Premiership.

Wasn't the [1931] 'two-year residency rule' lifted in 1978, and didn’t Ivan Golac [southampton] and Kazimierz Deyna [Manchester City] sign that summer too?

Wasn't the [1931] 'two-year residency rule' lifted in 1978, and didn’t Ivan Golac [southampton] and Kazimierz Deyna [Manchester City] sign that summer too?

Quite possibly, but I believe that Ardiles and Villa were the first to be signed, then you had a host of foreign players signing for English clubs.

Some succeded, like Ardiles and Villa, who will ever forget his goal in the cup final, and some failed miserably, like the one Birmingham signed whose name escapes me at the moment.

I also believe that Villa earned more respect as, unlike Ardiles, he stayed in the UK during the Falklands crisis.