CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY

Badboy6555

CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should SM think about providing COA?

• YES, it would make a huge improvement
    • maybe
    • NO, too much hassle

I agree with you Nicky that Ebay can't take everything down in time before it sells but I know that they do their very best. They have strict guidelines and even have the VeRO programme so rights owners can report listings that infinge their rights. There are even questionairres they send out to users who break these rules which they must fill in to re-activate their account so they can see what they did wrong. This is a good way of picking out the people that may have broken the ebay rules by accident and so they do not do so in future. So I think Ebay do alot to stop things like fake autographs being sold but of course its going to happen in an online market place. You just have to be sensible enough to spot the clues that an item is fake.

I myself collect autographs for my own personal enjoyment and would not sell them on so would not be interested in COA's but posed photos are a good way of proving this. If this cannot be done then I guess there is only your own word that they are real, but why waste your time with people who don't believe you anyway.

James

Edited by angel_darkavenger

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, it is impossible to stop people completley from selling counterfeit stuff...just like it's impossible for police to stop crime and take justice. The site is online 24hrs a day and we are totally outnumbered by the number of members so of course things are gonna slip thru the wire. And we can't take items down just cos people like you report them without some sort of evidence, who are you to say what's real or not?...And we actually need more than just someone's word to take stuff off and there needs to be some kinda evidence in the description in the first place...otherwise people are gonna wanna know why the item was removed. Some items are left active cos they are in the Public Domain and that is allowed.

Nicky, I realize you only work for ebay and dont make the rules, but all the time ebay remove listings on reports without checking the details. I've had a number of my listings removed in the years I've been on ebay because a competitor has decided to get rid of me and so reported so called infringements (not copyright I might add) and when I've queried it ebay have reinstated my listings and made a full apology. But, if they'd actually looked at the listings first, they'd have seen that I wasnt infringing at all and have saved us all time and hassle.

I'm a member of the discussion forums over on ebay and every day that stuff like this happens. I've also been done over by a so called VERO rights owner who has fraudulently claimed copyright ownership of something he has no right to. He's a licensee of film cells but not a copyright owner, not the same thing at all, and yet he manages to have all competitive listings removed and when myself and others complain, all we're told by ebay is to take it up with the VERO 'rights owner' which does nothing at all, they just laugh and say "take me to court then". I had some LOTR film cell keyrings in my ebay shop which were removed by his 'complaint' and when I queried it with him, he said he was in the process of getting a license to sell LOTR cells and he was getting rid of the competition. He was blatent about it, and there was nothing I could do, I can't afford to take him to court and ebay dont want to know.

Jacksparrowsmistress:

I have to keep this brief as I could jeoperdise my job. Any listings that are reported to eBay by the ordinary random Joe Blogs members may not be able to be removed, why should eBay take Joe Blogs' word for something being fake when eBay can't verify then as someone in the know or an authority figure? As for faking VeRO memberships just look at passports or bank notes...

You should try to get in touch with the films studio as they are the true rights holder of any film if you doubt the validity of a member's VeRO ownership. eg. New Line Cinema.

Remember though eBay is just a venue for other people to trade. Similar to how SM are the venue for the dealers and stalls at a con or a newspaper for a classifieds section. The dealers or sellers pay a fee to hire a table or page space and they might try to sell counterfeit goods which SM or newspaper are probably against and some buyers might feel cheated but what can SM or the newspaper do? And are SM or the newspaper obliged to get involved with 3rd party court action?

Edited by nicky

Yeah, and Watchdog were so complimentary about how effective EBAY are about beating fraudulent sellers the other day.

I've heard so many occasions where Ebay.com get tipped off a seller is selling s***e/ripoffs, and what does Ebay do? ban the reporter and let the ripoff merchant carry on regardless.

This goes for autographs, and Sideshow/Weta LOTR statues. EG, a guy advertises a Balrog statue, says how collectable it is, price goes up etc, great investment, price is what you'd expect a Rog to go for, the seller sends an empty Balrog box, and tries to get out of his responsibility by saying 'I said it was the box'. This interpretation can't be seen on the original ad, Ebay is complained to.. and does Sweet FA. Do they ban him? restrict his a/c? Is the Pope a strict Protestant?

I've heard so many occasions where Ebay.com get tipped off a seller is selling s***e/ripoffs, and what does Ebay do? ban the reporter and let the ripoff merchant carry on regardless.
That's probably cos the reporter was selling counterfeit goods too initially and got suspended and then got pi$$ed off that other sellers were lucky enough not to be caught out/spotted...Basically these reporters are just sour grapes who shouln't have been selling crap themselves...some sellers are craftier than others at evading detection.

the seller sends an empty Balrog box, and tries to get out of his responsibility by saying 'I said it was the box'. This interpretation can't be seen on the original ad, Ebay is complained to...
As long as the item is described clearly in the title it is perfectly acceptable to sell a box. If it is a case of deliberately misleading info and only mentions the box in the description text then the case it sent to fraud dept...if it is spotted or reported. Sellers could be given warnings, suspensions or be banned and when any of those happens there's no way to stop them opening another account useing another PC or name just like SM can't stop a banned member getting another username. Edited by nicky

QUOTE(gilgalad70 @ Nov 21 2006, 09:27 AM)

That's probably cos the reporter was selling counterfeit goods too initially and got suspended and then got pi$$ed off that other sellers were lucky enough not to be caught out/spotted...Basically these reporters are just sour grapes who shouln't have been selling crap themselves...some sellers are craftier than others at evading detection.

QUOTE(gilgalad70 @ Nov 21 2006, 09:27 AM)

the seller sends an empty Balrog box, and tries to get out of his responsibility by saying 'I said it was the box'. This interpretation can't be seen on the original ad, Ebay is complained to...

As long as the item is described clearly in the title it is perfectly acceptable to sell a box. If it is a case of deliberately misleading info and only mentions the box in the description text then the case it sent to fraud dept...if it is spotted or reported. Sellers are given warnings first before they are banned and when that happens there's no way to stop them opening another account useing another PC or name.

I did tell you that you should not have mentioned you work for eBay!!!!!

Anyway, coming back to what I have said and you shot down as being crap, others here seem to be saying the samething. eBay does nothing when you report stuff.

As I mentioned I complained to eBay and they didnt care and told me to report it else where! Come on, you guys have to admit you are pretty usless at looking after the buyers. :unsure:

Edited by Fry

As long as the item is described clearly in the title it is perfectly acceptable to sell a box. If it is a case of deliberately misleading info and only mentions the box in the description text then the case it sent to fraud dept...if it is spotted or reported. Sellers are given warnings first before they are banned and when that happens there's no way to stop them opening another account useing another PC or name.

Sorry mate but that's rubbish. When folks have been caught selling 'original' prints of photos they took off the web, and have no right to think of selling them, or making wallclocks or keyrings or anything out of the images, and get reported by buyers, not fellow sellers, I have known Ebay to ban the buyers accounts.

Sadly for the latter case (more recently), I have lost the url of the board I used to frequent, or I could direct you to specific item numbers you could check. It was called something like Sideshow freaks or something. It was for collectors of Sideshow toys (LOTR/Jaws etc etc). The ebay listing would be for the Sideshow/Weta balrog, go on about how great the item was, how collectible, great investment, rarity... and then the buyer would end up getting the box that used to hold the statue, complain to Ebay, and Ebay would do sweet FA about it, the seller would repeat the scam etc etc.. Differenmt names sometimes, but usually variations on a theme.

I have known Ebay to ban the buyers accounts.
That's just paranoid rubbish itself. There must have been a legit reason why they were banned. There are so many people reporting sellers that they cant all be banned for just that. Do you honestly really believe that my bosses tell me to remove members so more money can be made for the company?

I see it like this; the site is a playground created by teachers (eBay) and the site members are the kids. The kids trade Pokemon cards/toys etc. have fights and then cry to the teachers. Teachers do what they can to resolve but dunno who to believe and quite often what the kids do is between themselves.

I did tell you that you should not have mentioned you work for eBay!!!!
Why, who the nice try are you!? You're the only bitter pissed off guy here attacking me. Look, man, you're actually glad I told you cos now you've had a chance to blow off some steam. Feel good? And yes, it is a conspiracy and we are out to get you and Elvis is still alive (he and Lee Harvey Oswald are in my team). I'll send a congrats email to the seller that fcuked you. You have his username? Edited by nicky

Surely the issues on ebay, fake goods, wrong goods etc are just the same issues that we have all of the time. For example you go abroad and buy something - the sellers wrap it for you as you watch, however they are wrapping something else and you don't check until you get home - example a leather jacket and when you open it it's just a piece of leather.

You pay for petrol with your credit card and the bloke behind the counter double swipes it and makes a copy then empties your account (this happened to me - twice!!)

Again when people buy copied DVD's or bootleg clothes they often have the end missing or fall to pieces and I'm aware that people should know that when they buy copies then they take the risk.

The world is full of con artists and unfortunately its honest hardworking trusting people that get fu$$ed over!

Ebay like everywhere else is an outlet and you will get bas**rd sellers and buyers but of the millions of transactions that take place everyday it is a small minority.

I agree that sending an empty box is fraud and that ebay should do something about sellers like this but if they don't then surely you could contact the police after all you are being conned out of money on what seems genuine.

Fake autographs, copied discs, fake merchandise is always going to be a problem but like Nicky says they cannot be expected to catch everybody.

I have known Ebay to ban the buyers accounts.
That's just paranoid rubbish itself. There must have been a legit reason why they were banned. There are so many people reporting sellers that they cant all be banned for just that. Do you honestly really believe that my bosses tell me to remove members so more money can be made for the company?

I see it like this; the site is a playground created by teachers (eBay) and the site members are the kids. The kids trade Pokemon cards/toys etc. have fights and then cry to the teachers. Teachers do what they can to resolve but dunno who to believe and quite often what the kids do is between themselves.

I did tell you that you should not have mentioned you work for eBay!!!!
Why, who the nice try are you!? You're the only bitter pissed off guy here attacking me. Look, man, you're actually glad I told you cos now you've had a chance to blow off some steam. Feel good? And yes, it is a conspiracy and we are out to get you and Elvis is still alive (he and Lee Harvey Oswald are in my team). I'll send a congrats email to the seller that fcuked you. You have his username?

This is actaully getting quite funny. You must have tunnel vision or something because there are others here all saying the same thing I am, yet you choose to bitch and moan at me. There seem to be 3 or 4 others in this 'conversation' each with their own facts and figures regarding how poor your employers treat people, namely those who complain due to being ripped off.

As for attacking you, then you must be the paranoid one but I suppose its to be expected working where you work within eBay! So my suggestion to you is that you take your medication and get that blood pressure down before you break something.

This is actaully getting quite funny.
Yes, it is, just listen to what you've been saying. You (and no one else here) have a personal vendetta against eBay and now cos I work for them, you have one with me too.

Paranoia? You decide....

Three years of studying psychology tells me you have a Paranoid Personality Disorder. Tell me, are you jealous of your workmates/friends? Do you think they talk about you behind your back? Do you suffer from depression?

I would also add that you could be delusional as well, with the threatning Elvis/Oswald comment.

Paranoia? You decide....

Three years of studying psychology tells me you have a Paranoid Personality Disorder. I would also add that you could be delusional as well, with the threatning Elvis/Oswald comment.

Oooh boy, I think you're comebacks are getting as bit desperate now. The Elvis/Oswald comment was what is known as "sarcasm". Let's see how long we can keep this up before the thread is closed or I have to take a huge dump...Now was that "sarcasm" or not "sarcasm"? You decide...

• 3 weeks later...
Paranoia? You decide....

Three years of studying psychology tells me you have a Paranoid Personality Disorder. I would also add that you could be delusional as well, with the threatning Elvis/Oswald comment.

Oooh boy, I think you're comebacks are getting as bit desperate now. The Elvis/Oswald comment was what is known as "sarcasm". Let's see how long we can keep this up before the thread is closed or I have to take a huge dump...Now was that "sarcasm" or not "sarcasm"? You decide...

Reading your high quality posts, I’m thinking that you have already had your 'huge dump' (obviously your a classy person of some ape like intellect) and managed to push what higher brain activity out your ass. That, or you were recently lobotomized.

Most of your posts make no sense and seem to contradict each other and you seem to think that I’m the only person here with a problem with eBay's ethics or lack of. Yet clearly others have posted within this thread stating distrust and disgust with eBay and its braindead employees.