Save the Astoria (and the Mean Fiddler)

TommyT

Looks like the Astoria may go the way of the Trocadero and be turned into more shops (since obviously that area of London has virtually no retail outlets :unsure: )

http://www.savetheastoria.org/home.html or

http://www.myspace.com/savingtheastoria

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's seen a great gig there, and appreciate its central location. How about signing the petition? over thirteen and a half thousand signatures since it started on Saturday...

http://www.petitiononline.com/savethea/petition.html

I didn't know about this !

Seen loads of gigs at the Astoria, Oasis in 94 was a particular highlight.

Although, never really personally liked the venue, and used to sell cans of beer and ridiculous rip off prices, with a choice of about two beers (both lagers !).

So wouldn't really be sad to see it go, as there are a lot better venues around.

Although, never really personally liked the venue, and used to sell cans of beer and ridiculous rip off prices, with a choice of about two beers (both lagers !).

So wouldn't really be sad to see it go, as there are a lot better venues around.

It's a long way from being my favourite venue (most of the staff seemed to have skipped charm school for a start), but I wouldn't have said the beer was that much more than at some other venues (and last time I was there they had both bitter and cider).

I've always thought that there's been a good atmosphere in the crowd when I've been to the Astoria or the MF, which I've not always found at places like the Shepherd's Bush Empire. And compared to comparable size venues which are stuck out at the @rse-end of Camden or Brixton, the Astoria is damn central (there's not many other similar size venues inside the Circle Line that I can think of) and convenient, especially for people coming in from out of town. And I'd say that the perpetually busy, well-lit streets of central London are probably safer than those around most comparable venues.

It's a long way from being my favourite venue (most of the staff seemed to have skipped charm school for a start), but I wouldn't have said the beer was that much more than at some other venues (and last time I was there they had both bitter and cider).

I've always thought that there's been a good atmosphere in the crowd when I've been to the Astoria or the MF, which I've not always found at places like the Shepherd's Bush Empire. And compared to comparable size venues which are stuck out at the @rse-end of Camden or Brixton, the Astoria is damn central (there's not many other similar size venues inside the Circle Line that I can think of) and convenient, especially for people coming in from out of town. And I'd say that the perpetually busy, well-lit streets of central London are probably safer than those around most comparable venues.

Having been to both Shepherd's Bush Empire and the Astoria on numerous occassions over the years, I would have to say that I far prefer the Empire, although agree it is a bit more of a trek to get there. I have visited loads of venues all over the Capital, of all sizes and have found them pretty much to all have been in well lit areas with security etc Of the 100's of gigs I have been to , I would struggle to count on one hand those that I can recall there was trouble at, or around the venue. I suppose my preference would be they knocked down the Astoria and built a new better Astoria on the site, but it won't be a venue that I am going to miss much.