Charities

007paul007

People have used Tesco's and Sainsbury as a business to demonstrate the fact, may I then ask this question, if Tesco said to asda, lets pay you so we can hand out leaflets in your store, do you think in good business prospects that in Asda will say yes

They probably won't, but they are free to say yes and accept payment for doing so. The analogy here is not whether Asda will, but whether Asda can. Sure, if Tescos people randomly wander in and start leafleting, they'll get tossed, and rightly so. If they agree to purchase space from Asda for the purpose, they're entitled to advertise.

from a personal view, and sorry if anyone feels it doesn't add to the conversation, but i hope its relevance is clear.

i was involved with a group a few years ago that were advertising a weekend event. the advertising was being done outside a shopping centre. non-profit organisation, and to my knowledge we hadn't paid anything to do the handing out of leaflets. but since we were outside the shopping centre, who really cares? we weren't advertising something that was going to take business away, we weren't blocking the door, and we were, we thought, a reasonable distance from the door while still being able to give as many ppl as possible leaflets.

we were still asked at one point to move about 4 feet further from the door where we were originally - just past some bollards. this request was made by the centre's own security, although we weren't blocking the entrance.

even when it won't affect a business, or when its non-profit, a lot of places aren't pleased about anything different being advertised without money. and lets face it - who can blame them? if they're paying for space, and aren't using it themselves, they won't want ppl near by who might be able to take advantage of their space - unless they pay.

and so, internet - someone has to pay the bill. that someone is the organiser. now, if a shopping centre has difficulty allowing non-profit advertisement being carried out outside their door on the public street, why should any organiser be pleased at or welcome other people advertising profit-oriented (i.e. competitive businesses) advertising themselves for free? at least with the public street, we're taxpayers and that tax does, in theory, go toward maintenance of public areas. if a business is gonna advertise in another's area, they really do need to pay their relative share - both in maintenance, and what could be considered 'compensation' for the potential loss of business, or if not loss, a 'reward' for aiding in boosting their customer base et cetera.

errr... hope this makes sense to people.... :D

as Showmasters to

date has not made profit

Not made a profit, Thats not cool!!.

Ps. with ref to the Queen at Wembley quote, I take it your fans, any chance of Brian May or Roger Taylor to a Showmasters event?

I know that you and other sites are not going to let people say other event names on this site, ok. There have been references to pepsi, tesco, coke, Asda and sainsbury on here, which has got them free advertisments, but I am not going to go on further. I await the day when people like Coke pay pepsi to go to their factories and promote there products, to me paying to go to another rivals event, to advertise your event and then the members of the forum are not allowed to discuss it seems inconsistent. It seems that you can talk about many things that are indeed worse in life, or joke about things that should not really be joked about, but you can't name are you going to such and such a place at the weekend, seems daft to me.

But for me Showmasters have answered the questions about charity and that is the end of it on this thread.

Sadboy

I agree with May and Taylor, perhaps SM could do something involving the Mercury/Pheonix trust ?

Showmasters to who ever is a different type of business compared with coke to pepsi and tesco to asda. With this sort of business you go for the guests and with that other events don't fear losing competition to other organisations in this business. The only way you can lose business in this field is by not being able to get a good guest line-up. With coke and pepsi however it's different. There's a lot to fear. Coke go promoting their product on pepsi grounds and customers tasting it and prefering it to pepsi means lost business forever with those customers who've converted to coke as they prefer the taste. They can't go getting Carrie Fisher or Tom Cruise to bring customers back. Same with tesco and asda. If tesco go on asda soil promoting that they have better offers and cheaper prices, customers will be putting their baskets down and trolleys to one side and going off to tesco. Lost business there as asda will lose profit by having to lower their prices also to try and bring those customers back.

Common sense really.

I know that you and other sites are not going to let people say other event names on this site, ok. There have been references to pepsi, tesco, coke, Asda and sainsbury on here, which has got them free advertisments,

which is where you miss the point by a country mile. Analogies only go so far. Pepsi, Tesco, Coke, Asda and Sainsbury must be five of the most well-known brand names in this country; a mere mention of them here doesn't constitute advertising competitive to Showmasters because (1) we've all heard of them, and in such cases a simple namecheck isn't advertising; it's hardly raising consciousness or promoting a product and (2) they are not in competition with SM. Now if i came on here and mentioned a show being organised by Autograph Experience [DON'T PANIC FOLKS - MADE_UP NAME], (a) it would be in direct competition with SM and (b ) since not everyone here would have heard of it, you'd all go off scurrying to google to find what it was who was on, and therefore it would be advertising, and potentially to SM's detriment.

The other reason analogies are inexact are that Coke and Pepsi probably control about 90+% of the cola market between them; frankly outside of each other they are not going to worry about somebody advertising Old Grocklehouse cola, since it is only available in two shops and one pub in the Outer Hebrides, which is no threat to a multinational brand like Coke. That is obviously not the case with SM.

I await the day when people like Coke pay pepsi to go to their factories and promote there products,

Coke are not going to pay Pepsi to go to Pepsi factories to advertise in a million years, are they? Give it half a second of thought. "Hi, we're from Coke. We'd like to suggest you try our product and stop drinking that made by your employer. That way, we can make some more profit, and your employer will make less, and your pay will be hit. Maybe they'll even go bust and you will be unemployed. Here, have a Coke." Not going to happen, is it? Every single person at a Pepsi factory has a vested interest in Pepsi staying in business and being profitable, viz their own paypacket. Not everybody who visits another show depends on that show for their livelihood, do they? Your comparison doesn't stand up.

to me paying to go to another rivals event, to advertise your event and then the members of the forum are not allowed to discuss it seems inconsistent.

It seems that you can talk about many things that are indeed worse in life, or joke about things that should not really be joked about, but you can't name are you going to such and such a place at the weekend, seems daft to me.

Well, it's their facility, their "house" if you like; if you don't like the rules you're perfectly able to go to another "house", or set up your own if you wish. I think the offside rule in football is crap, but if I keep ignoring it I'm not going to get very far in an FA-authorised game either, am I? I have to either play within the rules or set up my own footballing association.

I agree with May and Taylor, perhaps SM could do something involving the Mercury/Pheonix trust ?

That's simple. Just tell Brian May you're a major rock band performing in London and he'll turn up to play on the encore. :wub:

Tommy T & Stevie

As I said before I take it on board that things are not going to change and have to go by , I could pick holes in a lot of what you have said, remember I did not mention tesco, sainsbury's, pepsi or coke, someone else did. As I said I could reply back and then other would do the same, what ever I say is going to be argued, I've said what I think, people have said what they think, I know it is not going to change, I'll go by that and respect people's opinions and wishes, I maybe not agree with them, but I will respect them and i hope that people that don't agree with me, at least respect my opinion.

This thread was about charities and as I said it has been answered and now that is end of story for me !

• Showmasters Admin

But surely the fact that it is inside makes it more legitimate. If they were doing it outside it would be a sneaky, underhand act but the fact that it is inside means that SM have paid the organisers of the other show to have a stall and that the other show's organisers are aware of what SM are doing and have no problem with it.

And that is it in a nut shell

The organisers of the show that you are talking about are happy to sell us space at the show to help fill up the show and the two of us get along well and they do not look at the MK events as the same type of event

i hope that helps

jason

• Showmasters Admin

have read it all now and there is a lot but I think we all understand now

one small thing I would like to point out

The CMK is privet land and you are all aloud to be on it as guests of the CMK and they reserve the right to remove anybody they think is creating a seen or disrupting other shoppers and this also covers the land used for the car parks "big brother" :-) no they are a good bunch up at the CMK

And the rules are the same for me so I have to be care full or I will get kicked out :-0

thank you for all your input and I hope you understand were we are coming from

All we do is what we think is best, sometimes we are right sometimes we are not, for that we are sorry

Jason

Jason

As the old saying goes and this applies to everything someone decides to do, and I would say I hope someone agrees with me on this, but you will know what I mean when I say, someone somewhere won't agree, remember this

YOU CAN PLEASE SOME PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME BUT YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE ALL OF THE TIME

How true that is !

Jason

As the old saying goes and this applies to everything someone decides to do, and I would say I hope someone agrees with me on this, but you will know what I mean when I say, someone somewhere won't agree, remember this

YOU CAN PLEASE SOME PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME BUT YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE ALL OF THE TIME

How true that is !

At the risk of being the "someone somewhere" who "won't agree", :WAVE: I believe the actual phrase is

"You can please some of the people all of the time, and you can please all of the people some of the time, but..."

and yeah, it's true. :wub:

• Showmasters Admin

Jason

How true that is !

i just got a link sent to me from another site and 007 paul you are not as nice about us on there as you seem to be on here so i do not have any more time for you

thank you to the guy how sent me this link it explains things alot and save me wasting my time

"YOU CAN PLEASE SOME PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME" and you 007 paul none of the time

jason

i just got a link sent to me from another site and 007 paul you are not as nice about us on there as you seem to be on here so i do not have any more time for you

thank you to the guy how sent me this link it explains things alot and save me wasting my time

"YOU CAN PLEASE SOME PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME" and you 007 paul none of the time

jason

Jason, I assume the link you were sent was from a forum linked to another show coming up a week before C10. If it was not, you should check it out as by the looks of his postings there, master 007paul007 is a real ....how can I put it politely....$h!t stirrer and has a real downer on anything and everything to do with Showmasters' shows. So you'd be surprised that he's remotely interested in coming to future ones bearing in mind and I quote from his post at the other forum "...no sorry I've just read more of his posts and he's just a real to$$er slagging off any SM event, so WHY come on here?

I guess he just has NO LIFE and wastes time antagonising people on the net.

Edited by keith

im not sure its really a) very nice and b ) very unprofessional to berate a person via a messageboard. if there is an issue with this person then the owner of the forum should take it up directly with that person rather than publicly berate them via a forum...

that just happens to be how i feel about it....what do you think? (sorry had to get and SG1 quote in there LOL)

Edited by tiggerific

I've read the messages and I agree with Jason on this. At the end of the day there has been many messages on that forum mentioning garbage about SM, not just one from this person. The way I see it 007paul has berated Jason and his company on a constant basis and has been busted (which was going to happen eventually with the amount of members from here also on those forums). You get what you give.

• Moderators

Well I've just read all his posts and it's a bit sad to be on another event's forum discussing .. no, slagging off THIS one, especially when there's the opportunity to just post on here. Shame that his posts on THERE don't match his 'arguments' on here (i.e. on here he seems willing to present something logically and reasonably to a certain extent, while on there it's insult after insult).

Just don't see the point in it all. Discuss the other event and what interests you, rather than using that message board to air your "problems" with THIS event.

• Showmasters Admin

im not sure its really a) very nice and b ) very unprofessional to berate a person via a messageboard. if there is an issue with this person then the owner of the forum should take it up directly with that person rather than publicly berate them via a forum...

that just happens to be how i feel about it....what do you think? (sorry had to get and SG1 quote in there LOL)

"what do you think?" well the forum is a place were fans can talk about real probloms thay have with what we do so we can address them and make everybody experience more enjoyable and when someone makes up stuff just to get people to argue then its a waste of time for us all and it also stops real fans with real problems being able to discuss it on here so we can identify them and put them right if we can

so people like 007 paul do a lot of damage to the show and could stop people from enjoying the show even more

..what do you think? :-)

jason

"what do you think?" well the forum is a place were fans can talk about real probloms thay have with what we do so we can address them and make everybody experience more enjoyable and when someone makes up stuff just to get people to argue then its a waste of time for us all and it also stops real fans with real problems being able to discuss it on here so we can identify them and put them right if we can

so people like 007 paul do a lot of damage to the show and could stop people from enjoying the show even more

jason

i think thats a very fair point :) (although got to say i have seen some posts on here asking stuff that have not been addressed in the past ... (cant currently think of an example) although admittedly this has got better than it used to be :) )

i still think that berating a forum member (for whatever reason) via the forum where everyone can read isnt exactly the most professional thing in the world and maybe if something similar crops up again it could be done via email or whatever... cause im sure if members started being nasty to other members by posting on the forum you would intervene and stop them (espeically if there is a few that are ganging up on one person) but thats just my view and everyone is entitled to their own opinions .... if everyone thought the same it would be a very boring place....

*tries to think of an appropriate SG1 quote.........gives up*

jason

I think that the guy came on here pretending to be reasonable, causing lots of people to read his posts and numerous people to spend time trying to right his misconceptions, and explain a point of view. If at the same time he was posing as "Mr Reasonable (but slightly dumb)" here, he was also slagging the whole enterprise off elsewhere and generally showing that he thought this operation was beyond contempt, then basically he was yanking everybody here's chains in public. So call him on it publically I say. Well done Jason.

"Unprofessional"? Whilst conceding that in many areas we Brits have much to learn about customer care, the whole simpering "customer is always right, never offend a single customer" approach is a load of old cobblers, and an invitation for you to be used as a doormat. Here's a counter example from a sector that I have experience of, the licensed trade. It's not unknown for pubs to ban some customers and not with a quiet word in the ear but by letting it be widely known. This way all the other customers know that

* the offending behaviour is not acceptable; and

* everybody else in the pub will have a safer/more pleasant experience because the richardhead scumbag is persona non grata.

Many punters appreciate that, because they know that the jerk has been banished, rather than worrying/wondering that if they pop in there for a drink the jerk may turn up again.

Similarly, I've seen landlords give a public dressing down (but not a banning) to idiots when it has been necessary, because again it gives the other customers confidence that something has been done and that said idiots are in no doubt as to how they should behave in future.

jason

What made me chuckle, was that he kept on harping on about charaities and why you didn't do anything for them... whilst blissfully ignoring the posts that said you DO support charities through your events!

oo7Paul - not so much blinkered, as blindfolded! :YAHOO:

• Showmasters Admin

Jason,

Great points made and thats why I've stuck by you also enjoy the item I'm sending in the post next week for you enjoyment.

Cheers

Richards

send the don't read, mods please delete to the other address PLEASE Richard :-)

JASON

Jason,

Great points made and thats why I've stuck by you also enjoy the item I'm sending in the post next week for you enjoyment.

Cheers

Richards

send the don't read, mods please delete to the other address PLEASE Richard :-)

JASON

I forgot I had that to send back. You'll like it but its not don't read, mods please delete. Also I've had another idea for the other matter it would benefit both parties.