Another VQ idea

rjw499

How about half a dozen showmasters ppl stand by the entrance, possibly behind a desk, and as you go in you all file past them getting all of the VQ tickets that you need in one go

(basically it saves you having to sprint around the hall once the doors are opened frantically grabbing any tickets u can find)

No, not at the enterance anyway.

Cos if SM do that it means they'll eventaully have to take all the tickets back to where they usually are thus creating fuss. Keep them as they are to avoid confusion as to where they will be. If you had all the VT at the info booth it might work but it would get too crowded.

But personally I think it's fine as it is.

Edited by nicky

• Showmasters Admin

I think it's a bad idea.

It's unfair on people later in the main queue.

Let's say Person A is number 1 in the main queue, and you are number 300.

Person A wants Guest X, Y and Z.

You want only Guest Z.

In the currect way:

Person A: Goes in and gets ticket 1-10 for Guest X, they then go and get ticket 50-100 for Guest Y (some people went straight to Guest Y, and got tickets 1-50) and then you go to Guest Z and get ticket 150-200 (because again some people went straight to Guest Z and got tickets 1-150).

You: It takes you a couple of minutes to get in, then you go and get Ticket 50-100 for Guest Z.

In your new way:

Person A: Gets Ticket number 1 for Guest X, Y and Z

You: Even if only half the people in front of you want Guest Z, you are going to get Ticket 150.

Is that fair? I don't think so.

It also causes a problem with queue management. Because at first we put up the VTs 1-30. But the same 30 people have numbers 1-30 for all the guests they want to see. They can't be in all the queues at once. Trust me it will not work!

The other problem it will cause is that People will take tickets they don't need to give to friends/sell them, it will be too easy. I know it happens now but this would make it so much easier. If you are number 50 in the queue you can get all the guests ticket 50 with no extra hassle. You don't have to stand in an extra queue, you just ask for them.

• Moderators

The idea is leave things as they are, thats what I have seemed to picked up on my thread.

Well, if it ain't broke don't fix it n all that .. yes, they can be open to suggestions and they are, but doesn't mean they'll actually do what people suggest <_<

After all, there have been a number of events now, with slight changes to tickets etc but on the whole the virtual queue system works very well, so there's no real reason to change it.

i think the general idea is, 'if its not broken, why try to fix it?'

and lets face it - the current system does, in the main, work very well. you may as well suggest selling VQ tickets online - it would mean totally changing the VQ system, and taking chance with all the potential problems, with no way to back yourself up.

sure, the current system may not be perfect - but i've yet to hear that a perfect system is even possible. neither alternative suggested (this thread or paul's, and indeed even my hypothetical suggestion of online sales) could be considered anywhere near perfect. they might work well in a certain environment, but they probably won't work well in a huge number of environments.

SM have been at this game for at least 5 years now (2 CMs a year, and this is 10 coming up) so i'd guess they've had time to think of such ideas. and other organisers have been in the business for longer (i think some of the another show ppl, for example, have been on the circuit for 10 years or so?) so they've also had plenty of time to think of these ideas. we, the consumers, may not necessarily understand all the logistics involved, and no experience of implementing such systems.

i'm perfectly willing to leave it to the organisers (both SM and any others) to determine sensible systems, based on their working practices, and trust that if they determine that a particular system is unviable, they know what they're talking about.

Better idea would be whoever gets the early numbers to wait for me to turn up and then give them to me. Just an idea...

:smile:

I think this idea would confuse people, especially the normal shoppers who might get an auto on the spur of the moment. Instead of going up to the guest, they have to walk halfway round the centre to find the ticket dispensers (and we all know how long the centre can take to walk at times...) and I think that would lose a bit of business

• Showmasters Admin

and lets face it - the current system does, in the main, work very well. you may as well suggest selling VQ tickets online - it would mean totally changing the VQ system, and taking chance with all the potential problems, with no way to back yourself up.

sure, the current system may not be perfect - but i've yet to hear that a perfect system is even possible. neither alternative suggested (this thread or paul's, and indeed even my hypothetical suggestion of online sales) could be considered anywhere near perfect. they might work well in a certain environment, but they probably won't work well in a huge number of environments.

SM have been at this game for at least 5 years now (2 CMs a year, and this is 10 coming up) so i'd guess they've had time to think of such ideas. and other organisers have been in the business for longer (i think some of the another show ppl, for example, have been on the circuit for 10 years or so?) so they've also had plenty of time to think of these ideas. we, the consumers, may not necessarily understand all the logistics involved, and no experience of implementing such systems.

i'm perfectly willing to leave it to the organisers (both SM and any others) to determine sensible systems, based on their working practices, and trust that if they determine that a particular system is unviable, they know what they're talking about.

Hi Keeper

i just wanted to say that i started to run events back in 1988 and ran the first ever sci-fi show in the uk

i was a fan of sci-fi and no show to go to so i went to my local hall and just booked it and the rest is history

just thought it might interst some of you maybe not ?

jason

Hi Keeper

i just wanted to say that i started to run events back in 1988 and ran the first ever sci-fi show in the uk

i was a fan of sci-fi and no show to go to so i went to my local hall and just booked it and the rest is history

jason

18 years if shows?! why haven't you made enough to retire by now? :YAHOO:

(yes, i'm kidding)

hell, i was 4 years old back then... hmm, now i'm beginning to feel young ^_^

jason

How old were you when did this in '88? You don't look that old. Edited by nicky

Hi Keeper

jason

Jason,

Did you get the emails I sent.

Kind Regards

Richard

Showmasters

Hi Jason

You started 15 years ago by opening a small hall, Collectormania has been running for 5 years now, what happenned in between you starting out in that very first and then going onto to C10, if you don't mind me asking ? Incidentally thanks for answering my question on the other thread, it's great to know that respond one way or another. thanks for taking the time to answer anyway. What about the survey thread are you thinking of doing one as a lot of people think it would be great idea ? What was the one thing that made you get into all this was a particular film or something like that, or just something that started as a hobby ?

Thanks

Paul

Showmasters

Hi Jason

You started 15 years ago by opening a small hall, Collectormania has been running for 5 years now, what happenned in between you starting out in that very first and then going onto to C10, if you don't mind me asking ? Incidentally thanks for answering my question on the other thread, it's great to know that respond one way or another. thanks for taking the time to answer anyway. What about the survey thread are you thinking of doing one as a lot of people think it would be great idea ? What was the one thing that made you get into all this was a particular film or something like that, or just something that started as a hobby ?

Thanks

Paul

I think don't quote me but Empireday and the Cheshunt fairs were running before CM

Aspen

Thanks for the info, also doesn't a certain show in the midlands have the title as the longest running and established event of this kind , I wonder if Jason was involved with this ?

Yes it does probably cause its stayed under the same name for the longest time but Jason moved forward with the introduction of events like the various collectormanias and the London Film & Comic Con etc

Edited by Aspen

• Showmasters Admin

I think don't quote me but Empireday and the Cheshunt fairs were running before CM

From the Empire Day website....

Empire Day 1: 13th November 1994

So well before CM started.