University

Alx

not sure yet exactly which campus i'll be at. Still need to apply as you apply directly to the uni without all that UCAS rubbish for a masters. Theres loads of open days i wanted to go like some in Scotland but its just too far and hard getting time off work as they all fall on a Wednesday or Saturday and i already missed loads of Wednesdays.

919749[/snapback]

Which one in Scotland are you looking at? I have friends at various ones in Scotland which I have visited so know what some of them are like to a certain degree.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at Aberdeen, Dundee & Glasgow. Aberdeen is one i really liked but that is really far.

Which halls did you stay at Emma?. I think that postgraduates are limited to some halls only but as long as their not falling apart i'm ok. So are you guys who are thinking of going here applied yet or going to. To be honest im not really set on going to a large city uni like Manchester/Newcastle as i went to Coventry which is set in the city centre and found it to be a bit segregated whereas Warwick which i know alot of people who go there and been myslef seems more better to live in as it has a campus feel.

I've been looking at Aberdeen, Dundee & Glasgow. Aberdeen is one i really liked but that is really far.

Ok I nearly ended up at Aberdeen - I know no one there but it is said that it is an ok place. But as you say, it is kinda stuck away up north, one of the reasons I didn't go there (too far from cons :angry: )

Dundee is my home town and I'm assuming Dundee uni here yes? From the times I've visited the campus its been ok, I think there is a fair bit of renovation going on at the moment. Dundee is a small city (as in just scraps into city category) but theres still good shopping and there is some nightlife to choose from, and I'm told from an outsider POV that Dundee is a good place.

University of Glasgow I presume? (there's 3 different unis in Glasgow) Well that's where I'm at. The uni is nice (looks like hogwarts ;)) and has a wide range of subjects. It is a bit of a yuppy uni (unfortunately) and a bit tougher (work wise) to some other places. Theres 2 different unions to choose from (and you have to try and find Kurt Cobain's footprints at one of them) and a wide range of clubs (and not a part of the NUS thingy). Theres certainly a lot of choice when it comes to nightlife in Glasgow. And if you come here don't stay at Murano if you want any peace.

Oh and remember with scottish unis, I'm told its slightly different from english ones as it takes 4 years intead of 3?:D or something like that (unless you get a 2nd year direct entry)

Edited by Zimbing

I have applied and been offered a conditional.. Park Campus... I shouldnt have a problem meeting requirements but the accomodation looked a little empty.. Self catered had no ovens! and the beds looked a little short (for me)

but all else looked great

A

well i know one thing for sure that whichever university i get in the Uk the beds will be too small for me lol. Im not sure which halls on the park/FCH campus are available for postgrads as some of the halls are for undergrads only.

OK I know you're not thinking bout going there but I'm at Manchester Met doing marketing and I F*CKIN LOVE IT! The course is pretty interesting but I reckon the main part of it is moving away and meeting new people. I'm in my second year so am in a house with 6 others whilst I really don't like em very much, I go out with mates I know from my course and through halls last year, and it's completely ace. I really really love my mates here and the city itself is really student friendly. All types of clubs n all, cheap drinks, like I say student friendly. Loads o bars and stuff to do. Haha ok I've waxed lyrical about my uni and its area enough now. Make good choices! Heh heh.

I know what you mean, I cant wait to meet new people, but my family (SM) are already from everywhere, so diversity isnt gunna be much of a change.. The reasosn I really like Cheltenham is Im gunna be studying Events Managment and with Cheltenham having the higest frequency of events in the country it kinda makes sense..

A

I can't wait to meet new people either!, kinda miss being a student now. I was going to Man Met for my undergrad but changed my mind at the last minute even though i accepted my place. I kinda regreted not going there but was thinking of maybe applying for a course there again.

I been to the Man Met campus and it's in a really good location with loads of bars & clubs as Manchester has a HUGE student population. I stayed a few times at my friend's in Loxford Tower halls.

Seriously, I came down a couple of times over the summer (I live in Durham in holidays) and oxford road is literally dead when the students are away, the city centre is still pretty busy but oxford road and fallowfield where most of the students live is really really friggin quiet without us haha I'm sure the locals live the dream without us. Most places in Manchester do student discount too and there's student clubs, plus, the hard rock cafe does happy hour 5-7 (I know I know it's two hours) and its like 1.20 for a pint of John Smiths. Can't say fairer than that. And Jilly's rock club is ace and has a classic rock room on a friday and saturday if that's your thing (totally mine haha)

Jilly's i been to on a saturday once as my friend was in a band when hea was at Men Met so just went to see as much live music and rock venues as possible.

Coventy campus is kinda the same as Man Met as it has a busy road right through the campus and it is dead in the summer also with all the bars etc empty.

Did u choose the housemate u live with in your house or just moved in like u do in halls and don;t know who else moves in until you see them. Bit of a shame you don't like them but at least you have other friends to go out with.

The only thing that worries me is that my roomates in halls might be the neighbours from hell. I know a few ppl who that happened too who play loud music and are generally just click. I get on with most people anyway so i should be fine

I know what you mean, I cant wait to meet new people, but my family (SM) are already from everywhere, so diversity isnt gunna be much of a change.. The reasosn I really like Cheltenham is Im gunna be studying Events Managment and with Cheltenham having the higest frequency of events in the country it kinda makes sense..

A

920098[/snapback]

Thats quite a good idea you have various festivals throughout the year as well as the races and on rare occasions the fa cup like yesterday, which we didnt deserve to loose.

Just going through the UCAS stage at the moment have applied to Bournemouth University, Bournemouth Arts Institute, Manchester Met, Leeds Met, York St John and De Montfort - unfortunatley i got rejected from Manchester Met and today i found out i got an interview at De Montfort - however i would really really really like to go to Bournemouth Arts Institute, this is all to study Film Production or media

hey, is that a undergrad degree i presume. I was going to do that at coventry but did geography instead. Im hoping to do soemthing like environmental conservation or coastal managemnt for my masters & most of the uni's in wales and on the coast have the best courses obviously plus hope to do my dissertation abroad if they let me.

How you finding the course?

Well I have made my decision today and have only accepted a decision to go to The University of Gloucester. It is the only chloice I have accepted as I dont like any of the others I applied to.

Applied for accomodation also today, to hopefully I will be moving to the area in around 7months time ;) having said that Ill be straight back to MK for C10 :huh:

A

Only a few uni's i applied for i like including Gloucester most just put me off.

Got a interview @ Bournemouth 2morrow

D u know which accommodation @ Gloucester is for postgrads as i was thinking of staying in halls as it;s on campus as most postgrads stay of campus but houses tend to be crap a si found out in my 2nd yr @ Coventry

Ive applied for Halls off campus..

Erm on campus halls were fine.. there was no oven which i felt was quite wrong being self catered but yeh it was ok.. My only other prob is im over 6ft and the bed was a 6ft bed in an alcove so i cudnt have stretched out..

Was good tho.. Bournemouth is very nice i hear...

A

no oven in self catering?, good luck!

also have the same problem as im 6ft 2 but i think the bed size won't be a determining factor when choosing a uni lol.

What are you going to study @ glouscester, i applied for climate change management

Johnny

bed size isnt a determining factor on uni, but is on accomodation at the uni.. Im going to Study Events Management (possibly events management with management) Ill see when I phone tomorrow. lol

I know I chose a diferent hall further from campus but it had an oven.

A

I miss uni, I did law so didn't have enough time to spend in the pub as I would have liked.

Its so much easier to wake up and decide to stay in bed and get someone to cover you with notes when you are at uni instead of work. Seeing as they expect you to be there and all.

i quite like going to open days now, been to 2 already this year and had a formal interview at bournemouth uni yesterday and the campus was ok-ish and i think the interview went well.

Where is your open day Jog. Theres one at glamorgan this Wed but see if i can be asked to get out of bed. Every module i had at uni where the lessons were in the morning i failed or scraped through - i think there's a pattern somewhere in there