Footie..

POTATOES

We were beaten by a team of Championship and below players, and that is hard to take.

We have a team that is capable of terrorising any defense (Portugal 04 and the World Cup 02 should have been ours), but once again Sven's dodgy tactics cost us dearly.

Keep the 4-4-2, play Rooney and Owen up front, and drop Beckham to show the team nobody is indispensable.

Erm, being a die-hard Newcastle fan I can only defend Michael Owen. After all, I have been singing "Owen is a geordie, Owen is a geordie" to anyone who will listen for the past week! :angry:

Edited by Rockybalboa

very true, he is better than david james i suppose. who is a world class donkey

860820[/snapback]

Which is both a shame and an irony, in that he is the only (English) footballer that I've heard interviewed in the last 10 years who can string 3 intelligible sentences together without help from his agent.

If his playing ability was as far ahead of his fellow players as his speaking ability then we'd be classing the likes of Banks, Shilton, Schmeichel and Seaman (at his peak) as "merely quite good".

Rooney was a complete t@$$p@t last night.  Yeah I am sure its frustrating not pl;aying where you want to be but grow up and enough with the hissy fits already.  Telling your captain to F*ck off when he is trying to stop you causing havoc is just a sign of his great maturity

Rooney's 19 - he's bound to be immature. I'm sure we all know some immature 19 year olds (or were one once!). And with his prodigious talent, he's more likely to have been "soft-soaped" and spared the "Oh! Grow up!" treatment than many his age. No he wasn't a sparkling example, but considering what a number of people of his age and upbringing were probably doing last night, he's OK.

I so agree with whoever (DavidB maybe) who said that if you are good you can play anywhere.  Sure maybe some exceptions but urgh flexibility people.

860601[/snapback]

Lat night's problem was too much flexibility - we went from Plan B to Plans C, D, E, F and more in rapid sucession. It's hard to be flexible when you don't know what you are supposed to be doing from one moment to the next.

To be honest, given that Lampard and Gerrard and Owen have pretty good footballing brains (and accompanying abilities), and that Rooney and Wright-Phillips have great flair and an intuitive feel, Eriksson should just have said at half time "You're so much better than them, just go out and do what feels natural. Express yourselves. Enjoy yourselves." Freed from whatever tactical nonesense they were fed, if they had done that for 25 minutes they would probably have slotted about 3 or 4 goals and that would have been the end of it. Too often the story of England over the years has been that of a couple of brilliant flair players constrained by whatever rigid formation has been imposed by the manager of the time.

Rooney was a complete t@$$p@t last night.  Yeah I am sure its frustrating not pl;aying where you want to be but grow up and enough with the hissy fits already.  Telling your captain to F*ck off when he is trying to stop you causing havoc is just a sign of his great maturity

Rooney's 19 - he's bound to be immature. I'm sure we all know some immature 19 year olds (or were one once!). And with his prodigious talent, he's more likely to have been "soft-soaped" and spared the "Oh! Grow up!" treatment than many his age. No he wasn't a sparkling example, but considering what a number of people of his age and upbringing were probably doing last night, he's OK.

I so agree with whoever (DavidB maybe) who said that if you are good you can play anywhere.  Sure maybe some exceptions but urgh flexibility people.

860601[/snapback]

Lat night's problem was too much flexibility - we went from Plan B to Plans C, D, E, F and more in rapid sucession. It's hard to be flexible when you don't know what you are supposed to be doing from one moment to the next.

To be honest, given that Lampard and Gerrard and Owen have pretty good footballing brains (and accompanying abilities), and that Rooney and Wright-Phillips have great flair and an intuitive feel, Eriksson should just have said at half time "You're so much better than them, just go out and do what feels natural. Express yourselves. Enjoy yourselves." Freed from whatever tactical nonesense they were fed, if they had done that for 25 minutes they would probably have slotted about 3 or 4 goals and that would have been the end of it. Too often the story of England over the years has been that of a couple of brilliant flair players constrained by whatever rigid formation has been imposed by the manager of the time.

860938[/snapback]

well said, as much as i dont like Rooney (and Im a die hard man utd fan) he acted as someone would for his age and although it is not an excuse for his behaviour and getting booked it has to be considered into consideration.

I only heard bits of the match on the radio as i was at work but from what i heard they were trying too hard to be the better team and in the end it cost them.