a disapointment

davemk16

:jason::help: why do we have to pay £20 for an autograph why not offer us the option of buying a day ticket so we can get as many autograph from diffrent stars as we want i mean last year i had to pay about £50 to get 3 of the red dwarf stars autographs its alot of money for a 16 year old :headscratch: so plz collectamina ppl in charge offer us this option and i dont mine gold passes :jason::unsure: offfer a silver pass or bronze pass for £100 instead of buying £500 i have been to every collectamaina so far and im never desapointed and till i look in my wallet :angry::help::angry: thanks for your time dave :P:P

• Moderators

Day tickets work better at conventions.

Collectormania doesn't charge an entrance fee, so they have to make money through the autographs basically!

It's all down to how much the guest is charging to be there anyway and none of us actually know, it's probably a stupid amount :P

why do we have to pay £20 for an autograph why not offer us the option of buying a day ticket so we can get as many autograph from diffrent stars as we want

You are aware that Showmasters are not a charity and are disposed towards making a profit in order that their employees can be paid a living wage?

i mean last year i had to pay  about £50 to get 3 of the red dwarf stars autographs  its alot of money for  a 16 year old

You didn't have to buy them. And yes, it is a lot of money for a 16 year old, but they're not going to start doing age-related discounts, are they? (If you don't know the answer to this, it's "because everybody will turn up with children to do all their buying.")

so plz  collectamina  ppl in charge offer us this option  and i dont mine gold passes    offfer  a silver pass or bronze pass for £100 instead of buying £500

Given that in a day you can probably get 10 autographs, why would they offer you, say, £200 worth of business for £100? Indeed, if people get multiple signatures from each guest they could probably get 30, 40, 50 autos in a day, meaning Showmasters would be giving up a hell of a lot more money. (Let's face it, if you had effectively "pre-paid" and could get 3 autos from a guest at each visit, you'd get 3 every time, wouldn't you, if only to flood eBay afterwards?) You yourself seem to be suggesting you'd like to get £500 worth of sigs for £100. Here's a clue - this won't happen for exactly the same reason that HMV won't let me go in and take whatever I want in an hour for a flat fee of £200 - because they would make a stonking great loss.

i have been to every collectamaina so far and im never desapointed and till i look in my wallet  thanks for your time dave

854612[/snapback]

Moving to a "pre-paid day rate" would mean a huge change to the event; you're probably talking about a £200+ ticket, a one sig limit per visit, plus no free photos for you to get signed. (Imagine you had to pay three quid or a fiver for every photo, or would you want those included in your day-ticket price?) That's a huge disincentive to the person who only wants a few sigs, and effectively rules out any casual trade that's passing through the shopping centre.

PS Yor speling sux.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

We CHOOSE to go and spend our money at these conventions because we want to meet a star who we either admire or lust after(lol)

how can an indoor shopping centre sell a day pass??!! do u really think that all the people who just go out to get some shopping should be expexted to pay £200 just to get in the door? or maybe you think that they should close center:mk for the day thus 100's of shops losing £1000's?

if you cant afford to buy the autographs then dont, you can still que to get your picture taken with them (depending on the time of the day)

or even easier, SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!^_^

Edited by merry's missus

Hi Dave, I think if you manage to wade through the negativity here you will find some valid points.

I understand that as a 16 year old funds are not flowing readily, I'm 26 and I have to save for 6/7 months for each event.

All I can suggest is that you decide on which guests you desperately want auto's from and then ask around on the boards to see which guests are likely to come to more events.

As an example, make a list of everyone you wish to see e.g Carrie Fisher and David Mayhew, then ask on the boards and people will tell you that Ms. Fisher rarely signs anything, whereas Mr. Mayhew would probably attend the opening of an envelope (NO OFFENCE INTENDED YOU SW FANS). Therefore your priority in this case would be Carrie Fisher.

I know it sucks, but in a few years time you will probably be complaining about the sheer volume of notes that seem to slip through your fingers at events such as these.

PS don't pay too much attention to the negative jibes here, I think the sunshine is making everyone forget to take their friendly pills :help:

Why did you have to be so rude?

856718[/snapback]

Please allow me to turn that back around. Why can't people have the good manners to ensure that their posts are graced by correct spelling and decent grammar? I'm not demanding glowing works of literature, and I'm as a capable of making a typo as the next person, but when I see something that's littered with spelling errors and grammatical nightmares, and is in places is barely intelligible, then I'm inclined to feel that the author is (subconsciously) deciding that I'm not worth them paying any attention to detail. It's only polite to write something that people can be expected to understand straight away without having to interpret or translate. (Believe me, I frown equally on stuff that has correct spelling and grammar but is so hideously convoluted and contorted as to be unintelligible).

Generally I try to be helpful, as you may see from my contributions to Too Tall's newbie threads, for example, but I'm afraid that this sort of level of literacy really gets my goat.

Hi Dave, I think if you manage to wade through the negativity here you will find some valid points.

I understand that as a 16 year old funds are not flowing readily, I'm 26 and I have to save for 6/7 months for each event.

All I can suggest is that you decide on which guests you desperately want auto's from and then ask around on the boards to see which guests are likely to come to more events.

As an example, make a list of everyone you wish to see e.g Carrie Fisher and David Mayhew, then ask on the boards and people will tell you that Ms. Fisher rarely signs anything, whereas Mr. Mayhew would probably attend the opening of an envelope (NO OFFENCE INTENDED YOU SW FANS). Therefore your priority in this case would be Carrie Fisher.

I know it sucks, but in a few years time you will probably be complaining about the sheer volume of notes that seem to slip through your fingers at events such as these.

PS don't pay too much attention to the negative jibes here, I think the sunshine is making everyone forget to take their friendly pills :P

856730[/snapback]

<<<<<<<<<<< works in pharmacy and hands out copious amounts of happy pills!!!! :P:huh:

Why did you have to be so rude?

856718[/snapback]

Please allow me to turn that back around. Why can't people have the good manners to ensure that their posts are graced by correct spelling and decent grammar? I'm not demanding glowing works of literature, and I'm as a capable of making a typo as the next person, but when I see something that's littered with spelling errors and grammatical nightmares, and is in places is barely intelligible, then I'm inclined to feel that the author is (subconsciously) deciding that I'm not worth them paying any attention to detail. It's only polite to write something that people can be expected to understand straight away without having to interpret or translate. (Believe me, I frown equally on stuff that has correct spelling and grammar but is so hideously convoluted and contorted as to be unintelligible).

Generally I try to be helpful, as you may see from my contributions to Too Tall's newbie threads, for example, but I'm afraid that this sort of level of literacy really gets my goat.

856772[/snapback]

Ever soooo sorry we're not all privately boarded at school :P

PS Yor speling sux.

854668[/snapback]

The kid asked a few questions, you gave very good and valid answers to them..was there any need to then insult the lad..i find that very offensive !!

856874[/snapback]

I refer you to my previous post on manners. Furthermore, it was a throwaway remark. Perhaps I would have been better saying something like "PS. A quick word of advice. Your post was littered with errors which made it difficult to read, and many people in the real world would tend to disregard or downplay the contents of such a post because of the way that it was written, however valid the content. I would strongly recommend that writing coherently and spelling decently would be likely to get you a better hearing."? Personally I think that sounds kind of patronising, and I'd probably have been crucified for it, but I thought the guy needed a hint that his writing style wasn't doing him any favours, so I thought a brief funny was the best way forward. Sorry if it rains on your parade.

Edited by TommyT

No but you could also have simply said NOTHING !!

but you chose to take a dig at him. Which as we have now all seen, has resulted in some what of a disruption amongst members of this forum (and I do not discount myself)

I also believe you caused some trouble with Davey a few days back too.. :D

with your oh so NOT witty remarks..which I personally and I know a few others on here found VERY offensive. If you're wondering why, try asking a few people about the likes of myself and Davey !!!

Edited by DisneyDude78

No but you could also have simply said NOTHING !!

but you chose to take a dig at him.  Which as we have now all seen, has resulted in some what of a disruption amongst members of this forum (and I do not discount myself)

856899[/snapback]

Oh jeez, so shoot me for having an opinion and expressing it. And if everybody was stopped from having a dig at anybody on these boards, then the traffic would be down by what? 50%?

And for your information, I wasn't "privately boarded at school" either. I went to a state school and somehow seemed to have picked up the ability to read and write decent English. So bite me, dude. :D

I can be a bit picky in these matters because I and my friends have worked in industries where imprecision can be fatal. (Spell the name of a drug wrong for example, and somebody might get given the wrong drug and end up somewhat deceased. Get slipshod with your procedures and somebody adds extra to the mix rather than withholding it, and your structure falls down). I actually had a friend who died because of that sort of crap.

Additionally, express yourself badly or write something confusing in a report, and in my current line of work, people will rip you apart. Which is no fun if they're doing it in court and you have to keep chucking "your honour" into every answer. Stuff me for doing a public service, but I rather thought it might be better to suffer a 3 word dig here rather than getting screwed over for a job later.

So you're a taxidermist then?  :D

856914[/snapback]

That and the Robert Englund thread might lead you to that conclusion :D

Alas, my line of employment is far less exotic.

(And no, taxidermy isn't even a hobby either; just trying to avoid some more graphic expressions, since this is a family-ish forum).

I also believe you caused some trouble with Davey a few days back too.. :firedevil:

with your oh so NOT witty remarks..which I personally and I know a few others on here found VERY offensive. If you're wondering why, try asking a few people about the likes of myself and Davey !!!

856899[/snapback]

I asked Davey a genuine question, as I didn't understand why he was reacting in such a way to something somebody had said. He brushed it off, told me to check my history, and my conclusions from that were that he was rather over-reacting, on that particular subject. I didn't "cause" any trouble with him, if anything, we managed to misinterpret each other's intentions and have a minimal amount of apparently harmless verbal sparring as an upshot. Beyond that one particular item, I have no problems with the guy - he seems a nice enough bloke, and his new photography website is rather impressive.

Feel free to let me know exactly which of my remarks you found so offensive (they probably weren't all meant to be, and I have no interest in offending people unnnecessarily), and give me a clue as to whom I should ask "about the likes of [your]self and Davey".

Please people - this forum is supposed to be fun! All credit to the kid for not getting into all this himself! Live and let live. People can be unable to spell perfectly and still obtain good work! (My manager for one! :firedevil: ) There are jobs where this kind of stuff is of the utmost importance but writing a quick post on a forum is not one of them! I am all for good literacy (I study degree level English) but on here as long as it is comprehensible, bring it on!

Let us all just please have some fun! :firedevil:

Tommy T, I do think that this whole thing has got out of control. I would like to believe that you did not mean your comment in the malicious way it has been portrayed, although I do believe it was a little uncalled for. It could be that your argument, although you are just trying to express yourself clearly, could be seen as patronising. I am sure you don't mean it this way. I know somebody who expresses themselves in a similar tone to yourself, and he can sometimes be misinterpreted.

Please people - this forum is supposed to be fun!  All credit to the kid for not getting into all this himself!  Live and let live.  People can be unable to spell perfectly and still obtain good work!  (My manager for one!  :firedevil:  )  There are jobs where this kind of stuff is of the utmost importance but writing a quick post on a forum is not one of them!  I am all for good literacy (I study degree level English) but on here as long as it is comprehensible, bring it on! 

Let us all just please have some fun!  :firedevil:

Tommy T, I do think that this whole thing has got out of control.  I would like to believe that you did not mean your comment in the malicious way it has been portrayed, although I do believe it was a little uncalled for.  It could be that your argument, although you are just trying to express yourself clearly, could be seen as patronising.  I am sure you don't mean it this way.  I know somebody who expresses themselves in a similar tone to yourself, and he can sometimes be misinterpreted.

857008[/snapback]

Post of the week. Thank you.

It was a 3 word joke, saving us all from a rant by me. And if people can take the p*ss out of people writing eloquently, why not at the other end of the scale?

Again, if everybody refrained from having a dig at anything on here, there would be a lot less traffic, and a lot less banter. Welcome to the real world. Other people here have prodded fun at people's writing style, and indeed at things that they have far less control over, such as their character or their looks, without being so harangued.

I don't remember signing something promising that I'd be all lovely and fluffy all the time.

I just calls 'em as I see 'em.

I'm sorry if I offended anybody.

And if somebody wishes to apologise for implying that I was a public school product, I'd be happy to accept said apology :(

Can normal service now be resumed?

Edited by TommyT