CSI : SM

Smaug

Going to be watching Numb3rs religiously now :D I'll get it all downloaded from the US when I get the net at home!

Dude call me already! I look well suspicious staring at my phone! Oh there ya are! :wub: "Good afternoon, Premiere Global Services, Rachel speaking..."

Can't be on messenger as I'm at wooooork!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hun, I use web based messengers for all my accounts while I'm at work. But I can only use them out of office hours. I.E - When I'm on nightshifts.

At the moment I'm on day's and can't get on a messenger!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Promotion Time!

Showmasters Crime Lab Exam : Number 2

Biology

Below are some questions and next to each question is a number in brackets, these indicate the number of points you can get for each question and can indicate also how much detail is needed for each answer.

I know that most of you have chosen particular fields of interest and this shouldn't be something that you need to know, or even research but I will be asking questions appertaining to each chosen field. So every one will have their chance to shine!

This is only for fun and is in no way meant to challenge you. I researched it easily enough so it shouldn't take you guys long to find all the information needed.

I'll give you a week starting from now. So on the 3rd December at midnight I expect all your answers emailed to me at smaug @ vaguely-me.com. You can email them sooner but I will only take your FIRST set of answers.

See below for the questions!

-----

1. Please give the exact meaning of the following prefixes and suffixes:

Cardio

Embry

Hemato

Neur

Pulm

Entom (6)

ase

lysis

itis

ose

ology

oxide (6)

2. With reference to cells, what is the meaning of the word permeability? (2)

3. Name the three ways a cell membrane can allow molecules to pass through it. (3)

To understand Biology, you need to know a few core Chemistry terms and ideas.

As Biology is the study of living things and Chemistry is the study of matter, what matter is made of and how matter can be changed or combined. So, as living things are composed of matter, Chemistry matters to Biology.

pH Values.

4. What typically has a pH of:

14 (5)

5. What does the term pH mean? (1)

6. Define both what a molecule is and what a compound is. (4)

7. Name the element at the centre of all living things. (1)

8. Name the most abundant organic compound on earth. (1)

Nucleic Acids

9. There are two types of nucleic acids. These are DNA and RNA. What does DNA and RNA stand for? (2)

Your entire genetic composition, everything that makes you, you, hinges on molecules containing a nitrogen compound, some sugar and an acid. The compounds are better known as nitrogenous bases.

10. Nitrigenous bases are molecules. There are two types, what are they called? (2)

11. ... and what does each type contain? (5)

True or False?

12. The longer the carbon chain the less reactive it is. true/false

13. The higher the melting/boiling point of a compound means it's more reactive. true/false

14. Carbohydrates always contain carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. true/false

Well normally in exams you're only given 1.5 hours... :angry:

901206[/snapback]

I know, but some more time would still be nice. :)

Maybe for the next test you could make it 2 weeks instead of 1 and then see if more people reply then. If not, you can always change it back to 1 again.