My first Collectormania

I know some of this has been covered elsewhere but I have a lot of grumbles about my day in MK (Sunday) and would be interested to know what other people think. I intend writing to Tony Head as I know where he lives and so hopefully can bypass the agents and secretaries etc who normally intercept mail! I also hope some of the celebrities might read these messages. I think it would be a waste of time complaining to Showmasters or the agents, because they obviously only have one aim in mind - making money (I will have a go though!)

Firstly the few good points. I tried to imagine sitting in a hot noisy greenhouse all day writing my name 800 times and frankly I have respect for those that do this. I also feel sorry for those 'lesser' celebs that wrote their name about 8 times, as I'm sure there were some! I don't believe every celeb does these events just for the cash - I don't believe James Marsters and ASH need to work at all!

I only met 3 people but I want to give a special mention to Kali Rocha for being so lovely, and I wish I'd not got tongue-tied when starting to talk to her! She should have been sat with other Buffy stars or even on her own cos she is a true pro and a genuinely nice person. Alexis Denisof seemed a bit pissed-off in general by the time I got to him (mid afternoon) and James Marsters was consistently smiley and chatty all day - a good actor?!

On the Dr Who stand I didn't see much happiness from the bigger stars, except Colin Baker who seemed to be hugging everybody. The other Doctor scowled at me when I tried to take a photo and I didn't see him smile once! Also, I'm not a Star Wars buff but I did feel sorry for them being stuck in the baking hot foyer.

On the down side, well it started with having to pay £5 to park. It got very much worse though when I got to the ASH queue at about 10.30 and was told they wouldn't be giving out any more tickets. Bear in mind I had driven from Devon, 200 miles, specifically to see the Buffy stars because I seldom get the chance to go to events (which often charge high entrance fees) and it was my understanding the doors opened at 10am. No-one told me people would be queing all night to get tickets!

Still, I had a ticket to the Watchers' Talk, and Antony does at least live in the same part of the world as me so I wasn't too disappointed. Until I got to the James Marsters queue a few minutes later and was told 1500 tickets had been given out and he was expected to sign about 5-600. At this point I was about ready to get back in the car and drive 200 miles home again!

That was when I decided to have one last look round and saw Kali and so I lined up, waiting just a few minutes for my first celeb. I have to say the quality of the photos offered was appalling - they all appeared to be stills from the TV. I could take better photos with my eyes shut. Kali is a beautiful lady and I can't believe there aren't decent pics of her out there somewhere! Showmasters obviously couldn't be arsed to look for them. Anyway, as I said she was truly lovely and after seeing her and getting a pic with her (her assistant took it - she was also very nice and I would say probably exceptionally so!) I decided to stay and look around.

I went back to the James marsters queue and they gave me a ticket to see Alexis - number 1066! I reckoned I might have a chance so I went back to my car and wrote a sign 'Wanted - James Marsters ticket, cash paid!' and stuck it on my backpack! After about an hour wandering around this tactic paid dividends - I had to refuse ticket no. 1200-something but seconds later I was handed 777 and money exchanged hands. I didn't realise it but the family concerned had about 4 tickets anyway!

This brings me on to another gripe - with so many (thousands) of people trying to see a particular celeb, why on earth don't they limit the number of tickets to one per family?! They can all go up together if they wish, and the 'family' deal would be limited to 2 adults and 2 kids under 16. Even more importantly, each person should be limited to ONE autograph, say 2 per family. I saw many, many people walking away with armfuls of signed goodies, with 5,6, or more not uncommon.

Well I can answer this question myself - it's quicker to make money from one person willing to hand over £200 in one go, than from 10 people paying £20 each. The organisers of this show clearly have no respect for the fans at all. Maybe then people like James would have the extra 2 seconds per person to enable them to write a name, and turn an ordinary autograph into one worth £20!

My other big gripe is why no photos? I was in a queue facing Alexis and James for 10-15 minutes and could easily have got a few good snaps - enough to keep me happy. This would in no way stop anyone else from enjoying themselves nor bother the celebs, so WHY NOT?! Showmasters, agents, security people - you are (mostly) all despicable, inadequate, sad low-lives who obviously get a kick out of spoiling peoples' fun.

I try to remain faithful to the idea that the celebs are mostly there to promote good-will between themselves and the fans, and that it is the organisers who are largely responsible for the bad feeling generated here. Not many people these days are completely awe-struck by film and TV stars - celebs have to earn respect off-screen as well as on it. I'm sure those that make the effort to turn-up at events don't want to see fans going home disappointed, let alone downright angry!

Poor organization and stupid rules spoiled the day for me. I will be interested to hear what others think, and I will endeavour to compose a letter to send to the culprits!

Edited by spolky

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even more importantly, each person should be limited to ONE autograph, say 2 per family. I saw many, many people walking away with armfuls of signed goodies, with 5,6, or more not uncommon.

Well I can answer this question myself - it's quicker to make money from one person willing to hand over £200 in one go, than from 10 people paying £20 each. The organisers of this show clearly have no respect for the fans at all

I think this is a little unfair...I think showmasters would be showing LESS respect for the fans if they limited it to only one auto!

If someone has made the effort to get to a queue early enough, then they should be allowed to get what they want signed!

But, I do agree that it is a shame some guests rush through the fans! Yet, that is their choice...if they wanted to take more time with each person, they could!

Thats what i said every member has to have a ticket there was three in my group and my hubby didnt want to meet the guests was there to hold the cam but still needed a ticket what is the point that ticket can go to someone whos wants to meet them daft :D

"If someone has made the effort to get to a queue early enough, then they should be allowed to get what they want signed!"

I got up at 5am and drove 200 miles - how many of the people that got tickets were actually local? Most of them I bet. A fan that says they deserve to deprive others of the chance to meet a fave celeb is either incredibly selfish or one of the staff!

Edited by spolky

My other big gripe is why no photos? I was in a queue facing Alexis and James for 10-15 minutes and could easily have got a few good snaps - enough to keep me happy. This would in no way stop anyone else from enjoying themselves nor bother the celebs, so WHY NOT

Couldnt get my head around this one either. I can understand the photo ban due to not wanting to have flashes constantly going off in your face for 8 hours, holding up the queue etc. But I was three from the front and was trying to film James on my phone, to which some "helper" old me to stop. I explained that I wasnt taking photos, but filming, was told to stop anyway. Just didnt understand this as I was about 10 feet from him anyway ?

'Those that made the effort to get there early'?! I got up at 5 and drove 200 miles - how many of the people that got tickets were actually local? Most of them I bet. A fan that says they deserve to deprive others of the chance to meet a fave celeb is either incredibly selfish or one of the staff!

Yeah, I had to travel from Devon...so I feel ya pain!

Last year I left at 2:30am to get to the con (how sad, I know lol)

But, at the end of the day...it's up to the guest themselves how quickly they want to get through the queue! Look at JRD or someone like Brian Blessed - they waffle on for ages!!

I understand the rule that everyone that wants to go up has to take a ticket - even if they are just holding the camera. Otherwise you could have people turning up in the middle of the afternoon going up with a friend or anyone with a ticket and getting an autograph (as in queues like that, once you get in its hard to tell who is supposed to be getting an auto and who is just the camera person) whilst someone who was there at 5am had missed out.

I find the 'everyone needs a ticket rule' to be very fair. After all if all the tickets are given out and lots of people are just going up with friends so the guest gets through them fast then they nearly always go to an open queue so everyone gets a chance.

I have heard flashes used as the excuse for no photos, but this is absolute crap!! It was very light in there and there was no need to use a flash - I didn't use a flash all day and I got plenty of good photos from the rest of the show. I could have taken photos whilst queing which would not have been noticed by the stars, not interfered with anyone else, nor held the queue up. It is sheer bloody-mindedness from the agents and organisers. Grrrrrrr :D

The women with the american accent was in charge of the piccys i think she was behind us with a guy at one point durning the day and she said no one will get a piccy if she can help it as the press wanted one so she said :D

Even more importantly, each person should be limited to ONE autograph, say 2 per family. I saw many, many people walking away with armfuls of signed goodies, with 5,6, or more not uncommon.

Well I can answer this question myself - it's quicker to make money from one person willing to hand over £200 in one go, than from 10 people paying £20 each. The organisers of this show clearly have no respect for the fans at all

I think this is a little unfair...I think showmasters would be showing LESS respect for the fans if they limited it to only one auto!

If someone has made the effort to get to a queue early enough, then they should be allowed to get what they want signed!

But, I do agree that it is a shame some guests rush through the fans! Yet, that is their choice...if they wanted to take more time with each person, they could!

Exactly! it's the same with the photos Spolky. Some guests just don't want photos being taken of them. Did it occur to you that most guests are getting camera flashes in their face all day? It gives them a headache. I know, so take the pic without a flash? I dunno why they don't request that tbh. But some guests just don't want them taken, full stop. The only reason Sms would stop posed pics is because they have too many people to get through, but that's only a last resort, but then, that wasn't your complaint either so now I'm babbling. :D

I understand the rule that everyone that wants to go up has to take a ticket - even if they are just holding the camera. Otherwise you could have people turning up in the middle of the afternoon going up with a friend or anyone with a ticket and getting an autograph (as in queues like that, once you get in its hard to tell who is supposed to be getting an auto and who is just the camera person) whilst someone who was there at 5am had missed out.

I did say 'family' - where there are obviously adults and children all going together, why hand out a ticket each? Not all of them want an autograph or are even interested in the celeb!

The women with the american accent was in charge of the piccys i think she was behind us with a guy at one point durning the day and she said no one will get a piccy if she can help it as the press wanted one so she said :D

She was apparently the agent for ASH, JM and AD and I heard a number of people complaining about her. Obviously a sad jumped-up power-hungry wannabee!

I agree with most of ur points... and i'll add the other that CM is gettin too big for MK

Yeah I think so, although I haven't been before. It all looked a bit make-shift and not really suitable for high turn-over of fans. Come to Exeter next year! :D

Yeah, I had to travel from Devon...so I feel ya pain!

Last year I left at 2:30am to get to the con (how sad, I know lol)

Where ya from? I travelled alone and only now have I thought I could have advertized for a car-share! Well I'll do it now in advance! - if there's anyone from Devon or even Somerset/Dorset who wants to split the travel costs for shows (e.g. London Comic Con in June) let me know :D

It is actually the case that people (unless they are dealers) don't just get the autos for themselves but for people who live in other countries who wouldn't be able to make the show but would want a genuine autograph. Limiting to 5 per person I think is fair, though why any one person would want 5 autographs of someone for themselves is beyond me!

It is actually the case that people (unless they are dealers) don't just get the autos for themselves but for people who live in other countries who wouldn't be able to make the show but would want a genuine autograph. Limiting to 5 per person I think is fair, though why any one person would want 5 autographs of someone for themselves is beyond me!

well i would want 5 siggies for a few people for myself but they aint doing conventions.

mostly because they have done a range of movies/ series and it's nice to have one photo for every franchise as well as on posters/ press kits etc.....

The American lady who was rushing around was Julie Catlin Brown (she was a guest at the last one as she was in Babylon 5 and is actually very nice when shes not doing the agent-thing in a rush and panic)

Yeah, was my first Collectormania too and my Birthday. Felt disappointed that I was unable to meet James in person after driving for 3 hours to get there. Looks like a common theme that alot of people were left disappointed. It's a shame, but realistically how many hours can you expect someone to sit and sign Autograph's, without getting a Repetive Strain Injury. The no photo's even whilst signing your autograph and no personalised autograph's sucks. Just adding your name takes a couple of seconds and helps prevents those in the business of selling Autograph's profitting from these events. It was good to see James in the UK, lets hope he comes over alittle more often to give his UK fans opportunity to meet him.

In hindsight we were probally abit green as it looks like those in the know managed to get in earlier than the opening times posted and all the tickets for James Marsters were long gone by the time we arrived. :D I thought the orgainsers would of grouped the Buffy/Angel Actors in one area and it would of been better signed posted for those who had come to see them. We managed to get what I hope to be an geninue pre-signed Autograph of James from in front of his stand. Although I think it is very cheeky to charge the full amount of £20 as for £15 would of like to have gone to his talk but you guessed they had already sold out. :D

Would of been pretty cool if they had had his new album playing next to the stand, but guess the organisers over looked that opportunity to make money.

Had a pretty good day, got to meet some of the other Actors there who all were friendly, and got a chance to do abit of shopping and vist TGI Fridays for lunch which was good.

I think feedback to those who made the event is important, to help improve things for future events. Let's hope its better organised and if doors are opening earlier to get tickets let the rest of us know as I don't have a crystal ball.

B)

The American lady who was rushing around was Julie Catlin Brown (she was a guest at the last one as she was in Babylon 5 and is actually very nice when shes not doing the agent-thing in a rush and panic)

Oh well that destroys my 'wannabee' theory - I see she's been in a lot of films & TV shows. I had no contact with her but I heard people complaining about her and was told she was an agent - quite why she would want to be an agent as well as an actor is beyond me!

I meant to add - I asked James to sign to me and he had to say sorry he couldn't - embarrassing for both of us I'm sure! (I know I was taken aback cos naively I assumed all £20 autos would be personalsed) It should have been made clear before I got to him that he wasn't doing personalized autographs (this may have influenced me not to queue for 5 hours as well!)

I did say 'family' - where there are obviously adults and children all going together, why hand out a ticket each? Not all of them want an autograph or are even interested in the celeb!

I dont see the problem with handing out tickets to everyone..I mean a family can include 2 adults and 6 16 year old children..if eveyone has a ticket..its fair. You can't argue with that.

The ticket numbers that are allowed to stand in queue are decided by the amount of people actually in the queue..so if a few families of 4 go up to meet a guest quickly..then this will reflect the ticket number (and people with higher numbers will be allowed to join the queue).

If everyone has a ticket..then there can be no arguements.

And tbh you can't really complain about people waiting outside for tickets...everyone who has attended a SM event has been new at one point and have learnt to get there early. Just like you, we've all learnt the hard way. We all travel from all over the UK (and Europe)..so don't think you're the only one.

How can you complain about parking?? That has nothing to do with the actual event...I think you'll find most shopping centers charge for parking. There are free spaces..but you have to get there early...or you have to park further away. If you still don't want to do that..may I suggest the bus or train?

As for no posed photos...you pretty much answered that yourself with your 1 autograph per person suggestion... :rolleyes:

Nobody likes the no posed photography signs...but that leaves you with the decision, you can ask anyway..or save your money and wait for another time to meet the guest when they're not so busy.

If you have a gripe about tickets and not getting the chance to meet a guest...take note of this experience..and come earliear. As it seems your own poor organisation ruined your day... not Showmasters. To manage such a big event in a shopping center of all things is a hard job and none of your suggestions would really help with the situation....so next time if you want to meet a certain guest and dont want to be dissapointed..get there early.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have the day you expected..but if you plan to come to another Collectormania event, at least you know now what to expect.

I meant to add - I asked James to sign to me and he had to say sorry he couldn't - embarrassing for both of us I'm sure! (I know I was taken aback cos naively I assumed all £20 autos would be personalsed) It should have been made clear before I got to him that he wasn't doing personalized autographs (this may have influenced me not to queue for 5 hours as well!)

That's pretty bad, as Sean Astins was at least advertised. But in the end it's the guests own decision...just like the photo policy. I heard he did personalise a few..but maybe it came down to just how he was feeling. Just cause you pay money for an autograph..it doesn't mean you can necessarily have a photo or personalisation. Shame really.

i thought reading those points it had to be julie :rolleyes: met her a couple of years ago..she's soooooo cool. yes bossy and loud but she does'nt take $hit off any-one :wub::wub: