Costume Competition

Lara

Was anyone else majorly disappointed with the *ahem* costume competition??

In my opinion it was a complete waste of time on the costumers part. We were treated as a joke. It wasn't even as good as the kiddies costume competition held at my local social club!

I don't know if something went wrong there, apart from terrible organisation, but Showmasters had all the space and facilities to make a great show of it. Instead all we got was shoved in a huddle on the dance floor and patronised. Some of the costumers didn't even get mentioned because they couldn't be seen.

I don't know why anyone thought it was a good idea to have a competition in dark loud party conditions. I did mention this before in another thread.

The competition would have been great had it had been held during the day at the event. That way all costumes would have been seen and photographed.

All of the costumes I saw were excellent and it was a great shame they weren't shown off the way they deserved to be!

No bad feelings at all towards those who won, btw. They were great costumes and well done for winning.! (If I had won I know I would still be annoyed with he way it was held.)

Just wanted to get that out anyway.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hear, hear!

I also mentioned previously that showing off costumes under party conditions was a bad idea and now I'm going to enjoy saying - I told you so!

We deserved better. You have insulted what I am Show Masters!

*brightening up* Nice to see you Lady of the Realm! :wub: Great costumes! Sorry you were excuded from the comp. You missed nothing, though. Maybe speak at lfacc? :wub:

Yes, Lara was Chun Li ;)

Edited by babyFrodo

I must admit, though I have only just joined the forum (don't kick me out for having a bad opinion here,) but the competition itself seemed to be one of the worst thing's I'd seen.

I could liken it to a cattle market, where everything's herded in and some guy wails over the noise trying to shout out what's going on. I saw some brilliant people who deserve at least recognition for dressing up, as I'd never have the skill or nerve to do so myself.

Lara, I'm sure I recognise you, were you in a blue dress? (That is you on your avatar, right?) Not familiar with Chun-Li myself, but was it a blue dress?

It really was a mess wasn't it? I tell you Mr Flibble wasn't the only one who was very cross at the begining. I don't enjoy being squished in a corner for nearly an hour!!!!! :blush:

They could have at least turned the lights on for a bit, then people might have been able to see a bit better there were some really brilliant and inspired costumes out there that people really couldn't see properly. And we definitely needed more room.

Not being a moaner by nature I'm not going to go on, but I do think we need better handling next time! :lol:

*big chears and rounds of applause for Rickman101* You were so fab!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!

Lady of the Realm, shame you won't be at lfacc!

Eeep! Thank you!!!! :gorgeous:

Yours was brilliant to! You must have been boiling!

I reckon you should have won first place with Tron, even if I did say you were Mary Poppins, well done for taking it on the chin though!!

:unsure::angry:

Glad you brought it up Lara, else I would have been the one complaining. I wasn't even dressed up for the event and I'm glad I wasn't because it would have made it even worse.

I know that I was about four rows away from the costumers and couldn't see a thing. Did anyone in the audience really know who they were cheering for? Because I couldn't understand who the announcer was ever going on about. Did he know? It all started off bad, what with all the costumers being told to go to the dance floor area and then not being told for over an hour that, actually, they'd decided to have the event at 'just before the band go on at 9.30'. So, shove everyone in a corner, leave them there, then tell them they've got a couple of minutes to show off their costumes before the main event comes on. :gorgeous: The costume comp was advertised as a BALL. It was meant to be a main even in itself, but once more it's shoved to the back of priorities here.

Everyone else has said about the problems with the way the actual event was run. I thought the idea is to improve on events - C5 had simular problems, but from C6's event it seems to me like nobody listened and in fact, made things ten times worse. How can people who get such great guests organised to come to MK, get such a simple event so wrong? If they can't be bothered with putting together something proper, then wouldn't it be better to go without rather than getting everyone's expectations up?

I saw so many costumes at the party that rocked. Needless to say, I didn't see them when the comp was on, but everyone I passed by in hallways looked fab. :unsure:

I didn't make the party, and I personally would have prefered the competition to be held at the event. I feel it's silly to hold a party and expect people to bring elaborate costume or armour to a evening out. A lot of peeps I think opted out of dressing up at the show too, I was in costume on Sunday, and I felt a little lonely, since there weren't that many costumeers around. Saw the Xmen though :) nice :gorgeous: did anyone else felt it took away from the event?

Just my thought

Steph

*big chears and rounds of applause for Rickman101* You were so fab!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!

Lady of the Realm, shame you won't be at lfacc!

Eeep! Thank you!!!! :gorgeous:

Yours was brilliant to! You must have been boiling!

I reckon you should have won first place with Tron, even if I did say you were Mary Poppins, well done for taking it on the chin though!!

:unsure::angry:

Thanks!!! Tron was amazing!!!

I thought it was funny! :huh:

i said this on the party forum but ill say this hear as its specific to the costume comp - i was severly dissapointed with this as id put hell of alot of effort into my friends costume and mine, plus i saw some fantastic costumes by other people too and as sadly as this has happened to me before, we were treated like second rate cattle off to a slaughter house...prize cattle get treated better, they at least they get looked at individually and judged that way lol

THE FANCY DRESS COMP -

Ok this is what i was looking forward to since im a costume fan and had put a lot of effort into mine and a friends costume, as well as wanting to see other peoples efforts.

* When we arrived we were told that the fancy dress comp would be held at 8.30pm on the dancefloor. so appear by there just before.

* waited for an hour....and nothing.....then were were told we would all come on just before Common Rotation who were due on at 9.30

*The fancydress entrants who were waiting in the corridor were all told to clear the corridor as the band needed a clear path to get to the stage. Thing was the only place we could go was into the already very crowded danceflloor area. There was one part of the corridor which could have been used for the fancy dress entrants to wait which wouldnt have blocked the bands path at all. but this was not done and as such it became a crushing experience.

* At 9.30 everybody who was on the dancefloor, who had staked out their spots to watch the band, were told to clear the dancefloor so the fancy dress entries could go on and be seen and judged.

* are people, deaf? This did not happen, people simply went to the edges and closer to the stage and what was left which was roughly 3 x2 metres was the space about 20 costumed entrants were expected to stand in. Again this was also down to the fact that there were too many people in too small a room

* because of this most of the entrants couldnt be seen, including some fantastic entries who werent even meantioned by the announcer who had to stand on a chair to just about see who he could see.

*He then left it upto the audience to judge the winners, by how much they cheered...hmm the audience couldnt see most of the entries...and those who got the biggest cheers were MOSTLY from those who had the most friends attending.

* Gladly those who did win deserved to win as the announcer decided to give the prizes to those most worthy, although he couldnt see some of the other entires who were just as good and missed out.

*Then the attendes werent even given chance to get off the dancefloor before they were practically crushed as the band were announced and people wanted to get their places back. One of the great entries (Amidala) had a great but rather dangerous spiked collar on and a lovely floaty cloak which got very trodden on. she could move. and people almost wrecked her work.

* there were some fantastic costumes from people who had made a lot of effort and this was not recognised. SM has people working for them whove run these kind of things and need to take their advice if they want a decent party/event to run smoothly and well.

I agree with pretty much everything said here, it was a mess and a big let down. I don't like to complain because I know I couldn't organise it but one of my friends who has attended other big cons was absolutely apalled. She'd assumed they'd do it the same way they did it there, having everyone register beforehand and get up and say their name and who they were costuming and having actual judges.

And I agree with what someone said about it feeling partonising... most people put so much work into their costumes and the competition felt like a token gesture at best.

Hopefully at C7 they might finally get it right!

*He then left it upto the audience to judge the winners, by how much they cheered...hmm the audience couldnt see most of the entries...and those who got the biggest cheers were MOSTLY from those who had the most friends attending.

This was the main reason that, although I had spent 5 months (and a h*ck of a lot of money) putting together my costume (it will do a few events due to the finances ^_^ ), I would not take part in the costume competition. I am quite shy, don't know many peeps and would find a popularity contest soul destroying! :P

Fortunately I was outside with KITT and missed all but the judging so I couldn't take part if I wanted to!! :D

*Then the attendes werent even given chance to get off the dancefloor before they were practically crushed as the band were announced and people wanted to get their places back. One of the great entries (Amidala) had a great but rather dangerous spiked collar on and a lovely floaty cloak which got very trodden on. she could move. and people almost wrecked her work.

This was actually a girl that had made it all the way from Holland, which makes it even more sad. She was accustomed to the Dutch way, which is most of the times: have every dressed up person walk over some sort of catwalk for at least half a minute. At the Echo Base Cons we had this hosted by one of the star guests, which makes it even more fun.

Oh well... I think enough has been said about the party.

Here's for hoping the organisation will put this to heart and organise a proper party for C7!

Edited by Wouter

My sister and I entered the costume competition at C4.

That was almost a disaster too. The organisers seemed to have forgotten about it, and it was all a rushed last minute thing.

Unfortunately it looks like the showmasters do not read the comments or feedback after each show, because they are not learning by their mistakes.

Yes, Nevermore, I was Chun-Li in a blue dress. :D

Glad other people agree that the comp was a disaster. I'm not sure Showmasters will ever get it right. They work so hard on getting great guests that perhaps they just think its ok to not bother putting effort into anything else..? I don't know. But this whole ordeal has put me off doing costumes for any future Collectormania events. I think a competition would work better at LFACC becaue it is a closed event in a big hall and there was plenty of space at the first one.

Yes, Nevermore, I was Chun-Li in a blue dress. ^_^

I think a competition would work better at LFACC becaue it is a closed event in a big hall and there was plenty of space at the first one.

Ah you were the great CHun Li!

never got a picture of your costume!

yeah i agree that at LFCC they could have a better costume comp as its enclosed and has more room. But this is a good idea, with common sense, that seems to be missing from much that is Showmasters non guest organisation

This was the main reason that, although I had spent 5 months (and a h*ck of a lot of money) putting together my costume (it will do a few events due to the finances :lol: ), I would not take part in the costume competition. I am quite shy, don't know many peeps and would find a popularity contest soul destroying! ^_^

Fortunately I was outside with KITT and missed all but the judging so I couldn't take part if I wanted to!! :lol:

what costume did you do?

I felt as if we were just there for a sort of freak show, to be laughed at, I was at the back with a group of people none of us

being taller than 5'5" I reckon, and we were stuck behind the hell boy guy who was about 6 foot and also some guy who

wasn't even in a costume, wether he had enterd dressed as a shopper or just liked hiding hobbits I don't know, luckely we

mannaged to get lara pushed forward and she got a mention. another thing Im angry at is the anouncer, he did a good job of

discribing everybody until he got to my sister and just said "It's a bunny" in a sarcastic sort of voice and the whole room went

quiet and when she told him who she was dressed as he didn't anounce it or correct himself (she was rabi en rose btw), I dont

know how she feels about this but I was fumeing as she put alot of effort into that costume and didn't deserve to be (what i

saw as) ridiculed.

on a lighter note (glad I got all that out) I think that everyones costume was brilliant and everyone deserved the chance to

show it off individualy on a cat walk or something, well done anyways.

yours sincerly

ANGRY ;)