Saturday Visit

So finally it happened, the con was back after lockdown.

After passing on the event the last few times beforehand it felt like an age that I hadn’t been to the convention so was pretty keen to get to this, I went into the area first thing hoping that with the extra time I would able to navigate all the stalls.

So my first impressions walking in were slightly…underwhelming though I made the most of what was there which was still a good selection though I would say perhaps not enough variety between vendors. But still I managed to get a pretty decent haul all the same.

However I was really impressed with the turnout, it was great to see so many as the doors opened up for standard tickets so even though it felt like the arena was a bit barebones this year it filled up in no time.

I can understand that due to covid that both vendors and organisers were keeping things pretty basic though I do hope that now things are returning to relative normality that more effort is put into this event for next year.

The talks as well were a bit all over the place and I’m not sure what they’ve done with the stage setup, this needs to open out a bit more.

Overall I had a great time and I do appreciate that efforts that were made to get this convention back, it was made better thanks to the community and company I was with, though I normally stay most the day I didn’t feel so inclined this time.

I hope (not for the first time) that the turnout was enough to motivate the organisers to make more of a statement for the Glasgow event, I realise their priority is to the bigger shows though this show has potential to be much more with a bit more care and attention paid towards it.

Anyway, glad to be back at the event and already looking forward to next year, chances are I will go to a bigger show too though I still like to see my local convention getting the love it deserves.

Feel free to share your experiences, if nobody else does I’ll post up any videos made during the show.

• Like 3

I had a good time on Saturday but was surprised that it was as busy as it was. I have only skipped one of the Braehead cons since the first Collectormania Glasgow in 2007 but how did all these other people know about it :D ? The guestlist was fairly small (I could moan again but this seems to be the SM strategy for the smaller events, it is what is I guess...) but everyone I did meet - the 'Allo 'Allo ladies, and Natalie Tena & Jack Gleeson for GoT were really friendly and seemed to enjoy being there. I also did the 'Allo 'Allo combined photo shoot and the Marina Sirtis green screen shoot. I was a bit surprised the Enterprise sickbay was used as a background and Marina seemed to agree ("It makes no sense!" :lol:). I also attended the 'Allo 'Allo and Natalia panels which were both entertaining but I would prefer more moderator questions rather than depending so much on audience questions. One thing I did notice was that there was not a single autograph dealer at the show. I don't know if this event doesn't really work for them? I will be back today to meet Jonathan Watson and see the Julian Glover and Marina Sirtis panels.

20220820-094318.jpg20220820-100121.jpg20220820-102433.jpg20220820-104542.jpg20220820-113339.jpg20220820-131034.jpg20220821-114844.jpg20220821-122759.jpg20220821-122844.jpg20220821-125934.jpgIMG-20220820-0007.jpgIMG-20220820-0009.jpg

Edited by BasG
Photos added
  • Like 3

I went back today. Still quite busy for a Sunday. Marina Sirtis' panel was brilliant and often quite hilarious. I have added some photos to my post from yesterday as well.

20220821-144428.jpg

Edited by BasG
Photo added
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 10:15 AM, carnosoul said:

Hi Iam really enjoying seeing the pictures sadly I couldn’t make it this year I was hoping to go after missing out on the 2018 and 2019 event where the dates for next years event announced at the convention 

Hey there Bryan, nice to see you on here again. Hopefully you make it to next years event.

16 hours ago, OverGeek said:

Hey there Bryan, nice to see you on here again. Hopefully you make it to next years event.

Hi Brian thanks it’s great to see you again too how are you fingers crossed I can make it next year too I have been missing going to it as it was my first convention I ever went too in 2007