Saw POA last night

Too Tall

• Showmasters Admin

Great film.

A lot less kiddie than the first 2, really dark. The cinematography is more gritty, more real. It doesn't have the "Disney" glow to it that I felt was wrong in the first 2. The castle and grounds and so much more interesting to look at.

The story was well done, especially as they had to shorten a much longer book. It has all of the main scene in it and the story is very well told. My only criticism is that some of the main scenes felt a bit rushed and so for people who haven't read the book (is there anyone left?) they may find they miss something important to the plot.

The 3 main characters have really grown into their roles (literally). Their new more mature look really goes well with the more adult orientated film. Emma Watson, is a really little star now. In the first film I felt she was over acting, but it worked as it was how I felt Hermione should be. But in this film she really shines, I think we'll be hearing about her for at least the next 20 years. Dan Radcliffe, does a great job of playing the new mature, feeling Harry. With Rupert Grint (how I felt was the highlight of the first 2 films) doesn't let us down, he is still very much Ron, with some very funny one liners.

I have to admit that I wasn't overly happy when I heard that Gary Oldman was going to play Sirius. He just wasn't who I had pictured Sirius to be. But I have to say I was wrong, Oldman really brings Black to life. Then there is David Thewlis as Remus Lupin. He does a good job but in this case he really didn't live up to my expectations. I saw Lupin as a much more vibrant (spark in his eyes) kind of character in the books and never really felt that in Thewlis' performance.

It was never going to be easy for Michael Gambon to pick up were the late great Richard Harris had left off, but he does OK. I think in the next film we may have accepted him. But in this one I was still thinking "It's not Richard".

Devon Murrey (Seamus) gets to say more in this film and shows he's more than up for it. I hope they do more with his character in the next couple of films. The Weasley twin are of course there again, but I felt that as with the last 2 films the Phelps twins sound like they are giving a speech rather than being in a conversation.

Robbie Coltrane is again a wonderful Hagrid. I could not imagine anyone else playing the part, he is just great.

My favourite character I would say is Hermione, so well acted by Emma Watson.

It is definitely my favourite so far.

Stuart.

I have to admit that I wasn't overly happy when I heard that Gary Oldman was going to play Sirius. He just wasn't who I had pictured Sirius to be. But I have to say I was wrong, Oldman really brings Black to life. Then there is David Thewlis as Remus Lupin. He does a good job but in this case he really didn't live up to my expectations. I saw Lupin as a much more vibrant (spark in his eyes) kind of character in the books and never really felt that in Thewlis' performance.

I was really worried when they cast Gary Oldman as Sirius as I always pictured somewhat differently also but I think he did a really good job but I really can't say the same for the guy who played Lupin, Sure he was a good actor but it just didn't feel like it was the same character who I love so much in the books. Apart from that the film was really good. The best so far in my opinion. :yoda:

• Showmasters Admin

As I said in my note, they have made the cinematography more gritty and more real. The whole film is shot in a much darker way, it doesn't have that yellowish "Disney" glow to it that the first 2 did. Also with the introduction of the Dementors, which were very good indeed.

Stuart.

i think the younger actors were really great, as previously mentioned they are really growing into their roles. i thought the scenes between Harry and Lupin were particularly well written and acted. this one was definatly a much better film, much darker, and the cinematography was great

Well I enjoyed the film although I wil have to see it again to make a proper judgement on its merits.

Thought it felt rushed in some places & slow in others.

They never explained how come Snape couldn't use the Marauders Map but Lupin could (obviously because he made it but they don't explain that). If I had been Harry, that would have been my first question after Lupin covered for him.

Special effects were excellent & it was quite spine-tingling in places. Sure I would have been scared if I hadn't already known the story. :D

As for the characters, I thought Harry, Hermione & Ron were really good - they acted more like real teenagers. In fact I thought everyone seemed a lot more human than in the first 2 films. Wasn't very impressed with Dumbledore. He doesn't have the same aura about him as Richard Harris.

But overall a thumbs up! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I like d it but why change everything?? I felt out of the loop. It was like not being in your therapy group for a week and everybody else has moved on.

Didnt like it.

But loved the quidditch match and the animal sounds

Kyle Longbottom

Yeah I know exactly what you mean (& I loved the animal sounds too :unsure: One of my fav bits)

• Showmasters Admin

It was because some of the scenes in the DADA class were filmed as if you were looking into the mirror and so at times Harry's scar was on his left. It was deliberate.

This is a quote from a film mistakes website:

"Please note: Harry's scar does NOT change sides in the boggart scene - various shots in that scene are filmed in a mirror."

Stuart.

Edited by Too Tall

I think they left out one of the funniest parts of the book in the film.

It's in the leaky cauldron and percy welcomes harry, and the twins rip it out of him, saying stuff like "bally excited to see you old boy" i know they aren't the exact words, but you get the jist

Edited by ILoveMerry

I saw POA again and I still think it's really good :P

The best bit though was when at the end of the time turner bit Ron said something like how can you be in two places at once and this really little child in the row behind said really loudly "BECAUSE THEY'RE MAGIC" it was so cute :lol::lol:

I think they left out one of the funniest parts of the book in the film.

It's in the leaky cauldron and percy welcomes harry, and the twins rip it out of him, saying stuff like "bally excited to see you old boy" i know they aren't the exact words, but you get the jist

That's one of my favourite parts too.

Amanda

• Showmasters Admin

I agree, I think they did over do Tom.

My fav bit of the film had to be Ron waking from his nightmare about the spiders telling him to tap dance. Makes me smile everytime I think about it :rolleyes: